HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Olli Jokinen

Old
06-21-2008, 07:43 AM
Booth10

vCash: 500
Olli Jokinen

It is important to remember the style of play that the new coach will bring. Then think of the way Jokinen plays. The two don't work together. It would have been a conflict from day one.

It is also important to remember that players come and go for free all around the league. Its the era of free agency. Its about putting together the right pieces. JM said he needed a puck moving defenseman. You could either get a young, tough, Ballard for $2.5 this year to fill the spot or pay $6+million and risk it on Redden. That is a big win.

But you lose Olli.

But what do you lose. A guy that didnt score a single even strength goal over the last 25 games. The rest of the team scored 47 and he didnt score ONE. ZERO. NONE.

Here it is for the last 25 games

McLean 7
Booth 6
Olesz 5
Horton 4
Bo 4
Weiss 3
Dvorek 3
Montador 3
Kreps 2
Stumpel 2
Cullimore 2
Allen 1
Mezei 1
Skrastins 1
Peltonin 1
Glass 1
Matthias 1
Campbell 0
Jokinen 0

Yes, our Captain, floater, worst defensive player on our team. Lucky he is an offensive juggernaught. Especially in the most crucial time of the season, to finally get us into the playoffs he said he wanted so bad.

Were will we pick up the scoring now that he is gone.

Couple that with what Biggane has to say.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c..._exec_jok.html

Last edited by Booth10: 06-21-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
That article is such ******** sour grapes. That's probably Keenan himself talking some ****.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
That article is such ******** sour grapes. That's probably Keenan himself talking some ****.
Why didn't GP post that article? Everything else Biggane posts is anti-Martin and GP posts it.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Why didn't GP post that article? Everything else Biggane posts is anti-Martin and GP posts it.
Heck, I've never made the claim that I am unbiased!

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:09 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
This article is a little sour, its right, but its WAY to exageratted. Jokinen was a bit of a cancer but he was no where near that bad.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:44 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Jokinen was a bit of a cancer
Any proof for that? Or is it basically who ever leaves Panthers has to be a locker room cancer?

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:46 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
Any proof for that? Or is it basically who ever leaves Panthers has to be a locker room cancer?

JOL
TSN said it during the draft every time they brought it up, and Biggane wrote an article about it.

Old
06-22-2008, 01:22 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Suter hammered his character as well. Also brought up how he's never been to the playoffs...ouch.

I always thought Olli was a character guy, but it's really coming out now. Biggane sounds like sourgrapes for sure, and I'm not about to buy into his article cause it makes the trade better when I've been blasting the guy, but he's not the only one to say these things.

I didn't like at all how Olli brought Horton, who apparently idolized the guy, with him to the strip club after running out on the golf tourney. That has bad influence all over it, obviously, and I can't imagine it was a one time thing, either.

I'll miss Olli, but I'm wondering if this wasn't a bad thing for the team. Wanted more, but you really don't always get what you want.

06-22-2008, 02:07 AM
39ontheline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
It is important to remember the style of play that the new coach will bring. Then think of the way Jokinen plays. The two don't work together. It would have been a conflict from day one.

It is also important to remember that players come and go for free all around the league. Its the era of free agency. Its about putting together the right pieces. JM said he needed a puck moving defenseman. You could either get a young, tough, Ballard for $2.5 this year to fill the spot or pay $6+million and risk it on Redden. That is a big win.

But you lose Olli.

But what do you lose. A guy that didnt score a single even strength goal over the last 25 games. The rest of the team scored 47 and he didnt score ONE. ZERO. NONE.

McLean 7
Booth 6
Olesz 5
Horton 4
Bo 4
Weiss 3
Dvorek 3
Montador 3
Kreps 2
Stumpel 2
Cullimore 2
Allen 1
Mezei 1
Skrastins 1
Peltonin 1
Glass 1
Matthias 1
Campbell 0
Jokinen 0

Yes, our Captain, floater, worst defensive player on our team. Lucky he is an offensive juggernaught. Especially in the most crucial time of the season, to finally get us into the playoffs he said he wanted so bad.

When did Biggane become a source? He's a moron. Im so happy we got Andre Savard as head coach like he predicted

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:09 AM
39ontheline

Quote:

But you lose Olli.

McLean 7
Booth 6
Olesz 5
Horton 4
Bo 4
Weiss 3
Dvorek 3
Montador 3
Kreps 2
Stumpel 2
Cullimore 2
Allen 1
Mezei 1
Skrastins 1
Peltonin 1
Glass 1
Matthias 1
Campbell 0
Jokinen 0

God, you would think Olli started the war in Iraq. This guy was the face of this franchise and good soldier through all the bad times and everyone trashes him now that he's gone. He almost killed his teammate, I mean hell it took hossa a year to get over Berard and Heatley a trade to another country after he killed Dan Snyder. I dont know how anyone wouldnt want to give Olli a mulligan his last part of the year especially after all of his years of proven success. How can anyone think losing him helps the team win? Remember when trading Luongo would make the team better. Yeah.... that worked too.

39ontheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:06 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Suter hammered his character as well. Also brought up how he's never been to the playoffs...ouch.

I always thought Olli was a character guy, but it's really coming out now. Biggane sounds like sourgrapes for sure, and I'm not about to buy into his article cause it makes the trade better when I've been blasting the guy, but he's not the only one to say these things.

I didn't like at all how Olli brought Horton, who apparently idolized the guy, with him to the strip club after running out on the golf tourney. That has bad influence all over it, obviously, and I can't imagine it was a one time thing, either.

I'll miss Olli, but I'm wondering if this wasn't a bad thing for the team. Wanted more, but you really don't always get what you want.
Sounds like sour grapes from Sutter, too. He couldn't land Olli, so he degrades both the player and JM's negotiating tactics.

Funny, huh? Especially how he was in talks for Olli's services in the first place.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Booth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39ontheline View Post
God, you would think Olli started the war in Iraq. This guy was the face of this franchise and good soldier through all the bad times and everyone trashes him now that he's gone. He almost killed his teammate, I mean hell it took hossa a year to get over Berard and Heatley a trade to another country after he killed Dan Snyder. I dont know how anyone wouldnt want to give Olli a mulligan his last part of the year especially after all of his years of proven success. How can anyone think losing him helps the team win? Remember when trading Luongo would make the team better. Yeah.... that worked too.
We were better. Auld was their MVP and played like s**t and Bertuzzi(the centerpiece) was injured after 7 games and we STILL ended up with a better record the next year.

Man, your too easy. You should really think before you write stuff.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Booth10

Interesting Statistic.

I was thinking about how the negative people cant see that just because we were bad, we are always going to be bad, so i did a little charting.

I looked at the Panthers over the first 4 years of this non-playoff run and then over the last 3 years. I then looked at the conference the same way. Here is what i found in point differential between those 4 yrs on average and the next 3.

NYR +22
Buff +20
Atl +20
Fla +19
Car +18
Pitt +16
Mtl +13
TB +3
NYI +3
Ott -1
NJ -1
Wash -5
Tor -10
Bost -14
Phil -17

Sometimes it doesnt look like we are making progress because of where we started. I Florida gets into the 90's in points this year they will probably move into second place considering Atlanta and Buffalo will probably slide a little, though Pittsburgh will probably catch us.
Nothing earth shattering, just a different view.

Old
06-22-2008, 10:52 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
I was thinking about how the negative people cant see that just because we were bad, we are always going to be bad, so i did a little charting.

I looked at the Panthers over the first 4 years of this non-playoff run and then over the last 3 years. I then looked at the conference the same way. Here is what i found in point differential between those 4 yrs on average and the next 3.

NYR +22
Buff +20
Atl +20
Fla +19
Car +18
Pitt +16
Mtl +13
TB +3
NYI +3
Ott -1
NJ -1
Wash -5
Tor -10
Bost -14
Phil -17

Sometimes it doesnt look like we are making progress because of where we started. I Florida gets into the 90's in points this year they will probably move into second place considering Atlanta and Buffalo will probably slide a little, though Pittsburgh will probably catch us.
Nothing earth shattering, just a different view.
This is hardly an interesting statistic. I'll give you a statistic about the last three years; ZERO playoff appearances. This is a misleading statistic. It means next to nothing. We improved because we sucked so much now we still suck just not as much.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Bystander

Quote:

But you lose Olli.

McLean 7
Booth 6
Olesz 5
Horton 4
Bo 4
Weiss 3
Dvorek 3
Montador 3
Kreps 2
Stumpel 2
Cullimore 2
Allen 1
Mezei 1
Skrastins 1
Peltonin 1
Glass 1
Matthias 1
Campbell 0
Jokinen 0

You are right, this is a great chart to look at... How many here are scared that the guy who led this team in scoring for the last 25 gms of the season is a third line player??? WOW, if that doesn't make you stand up and question who is going to score goals next year, then nothing will. BTW, who is going to score on the powerplay??? if Olli sucked 5 on 5, he sure was good on the man advantage, who is going to pick up that slack?

Bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 11:13 AM
hoax15

I honestly think we will be fine next year.