HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 3 - Rangers select C Evgeny Grachev - DRAFTED to the OHL

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2008, 11:44 AM
frisland

vCash: 500
the sather-owned chilliwack bruins are up now, maybe he'll draft him a second time.

Old
06-26-2008, 11:47 AM
frisland

.... or not....

Old
06-26-2008, 11:48 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
As someone posted above, the higher likelihood of him playing for the Pack might be scaring CHL teams off...
Yeah, that's what I'm kinda figuring. The NHL and CHL have a pretty good relationship and I'd think that if a team had any thoughts about keeping a guy in the AHL they'd make it known to the CHL teams so they don't waste the draft pick... so I'm wondering if that's what's going on. That's completely speculation on my part though, I don't know a whole lot about the CHL.

Old
06-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm kinda figuring. The NHL and CHL have a pretty good relationship and I'd think that if a team had any thoughts about keeping a guy in the AHL they'd make it known to the CHL teams so they don't waste the draft pick... so I'm wondering if that's what's going on. That's completely speculation on my part though, I don't know a whole lot about the CHL.
I'm with you on this Squish. I've gotta think that the Rangers are trying to get Anisimov and Grachev ready for the NHL as quickly as possible with Cherepanov probably arriving next summer.

I can just picture Slats rolling out a Grachev - Anisimov - Cherepanov line and saying "Take that Pittsburgh."

Dawes/UFA winger - Gomez - Drury
Grachev - Anisimov - Cherepanov
Korpikoski - Dubi - Callahan
Sjostrom - Betts - Byers/Orr/Jamtin/Weise

I mean c'mon, how can you not be excited for that??

Old
06-26-2008, 12:15 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'm with you on this Squish. I've gotta think that the Rangers are trying to get Anisimov and Grachev ready for the NHL as quickly as possible with Cherepanov probably arriving next summer.
Well, if that is what's going on, I certainly don't think its because the Rangers are trying to get anyone in the NHL as quickly as possible... it's just not their MO. They've been pretty adamant about letting kids develop slowly -- almost to a fault.

While going to the CHL and adapting to North America and North American hockey while playing against kids his own age while living in a family situation with a billet family would seem like a logical choice for a kid his age, there's reasons in this case that you can see in favor of having him play in the AHL. First of all, he has the size for it, whereas many kids his age do not. Second, Anisimov (likely) being in Hartford next season gives him a support system he might not otherwise have if he were to turn pro at 18 -- especially if Anisimov's parents once again spend the season over here (Hartford's playoff run ended much sooner than expected, so I never had the chance to ask them.) That would give him a similar situation to what he would have staying with a family in the CHL, with the added bonus that it'd be a Russian family from the same city he's lived in for the past 5 years...

All complete speculation on my part, of course. The other possibility is that he's really not free to play in NA next season.

Old
06-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Well, if that is what's going on, I certainly don't think its because the Rangers are trying to get anyone in the NHL as quickly as possible... it's just not their MO. They've been pretty adamant about letting kids develop slowly -- almost to a fault.

While going to the CHL and adapting to North America and North American hockey while playing against kids his own age while living in a family situation with a billet family would seem like a logical choice for a kid his age, there's reasons in this case that you can see in favor of having him play in the AHL. First of all, he has the size for it, whereas many kids his age do not. Second, Anisimov (likely) being in Hartford next season gives him a support system he might not otherwise have if he were to turn pro at 18 -- especially if Anisimov's parents once again spend the season over here (Hartford's playoff run ended much sooner than expected, so I never had the chance to ask them.) That would give him a similar situation to what he would have staying with a family in the CHL, with the added bonus that it'd be a Russian family from the same city he's lived in for the past 5 years...

All complete speculation on my part, of course. The other possibility is that he's really not free to play in NA next season.
Well, I didn't necessarily mean that we'd see them all in the NHL next season, I wasn't really clear with that. I think Cherepanov will wind up in the AHL for at least part of the season as well, but he's definitely going to be a step or two ahead of Anisimov and Grachev in terms of who is closer to being NHL-ready. I think bringing Grachev into the NHL helps shrink that gap a bit. Thats all I was saying.

Old
06-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Unk

A question about the CHL import draft. Just an import have to be drafted to play in the CHL? I've heard NA players not drafted in the OHL/WHL/QMJHL drafts have sometimes just signed as FA's, even with a different league. So can European players do that too if not drafted, or is this a requirement?

Anyway, it might be nice to see Grachev playing for the Wolfpack. Guessing if Anisimov makes the big club in 09-10, it would give Grachev a chance to grow as a player, and maybe potentially be ready to take the #1 center spot in Hartford in 09-10? I dunno, just speculating.

Old
06-26-2008, 02:52 PM
FLYLine24*

Brampton Battalion of the OHL has drafted Evgeny Grachev

Same team Bobby Sangs was just on.

Very good team for him to be drafted to. I remember last year the coaching staff of the Rangers had a very good relationship with the coaching staff of the Battalion on what Bobby should focus on and the coaching staff of the Battalion were very willing to help out. Unlike another team who didn't care what the Rangers wanted certain players to focus on.

Very pleased with this, hopefully he plays one season there.

Old
06-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Brampton Battalion of the OHL has drafted Evgeny Grachev

Same team Bobby Sangs was just on.

Very good team for him to be drafted to. I remember last year the coaching staff of the Rangers had a very good relationship with the coaching staff of the Battalion on what Bobby should focus on and the coaching staff of the Battalion were very willing to help out. Unlike another team who didn't care what the Rangers wanted certain players to focus on.

Very pleased with this, hopefully he plays one season there.
what team was that?

Old
06-26-2008, 03:02 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
what team was that?
You know, I can't think of them off the top of my head, but I remember reading on BB last year or a year and half ago that a team wasn't worried about what the Rangers wanted them to do since they were more focused on winning rather then developing a player long term.

It might have been the team Bobby was traded from, Owen Sound, but again, not 100% sure.

Old
06-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Unk

I like how that blog, prospectpark, wanted Kundratek in the OHL and Grachev in the WHL, and now its the other way around.

Old
06-26-2008, 03:11 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
I like how that blog, prospectpark, wanted Kundratek in the OHL and Grachev in the WHL, and now its the other way around.
Doesn't matter to me, i'm just happy neither when to the QMJHL.

Old
06-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
I thought that was kind of funny too, and I'm sure Jess will makle fun of himself tomorrow about it.

Old
06-26-2008, 03:22 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

He should develop there very nicely

Congrats Grachev, can't wait to see the Russian connection hit New York

Old
06-26-2008, 03:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Really, can't go wrong with those picks, they're obviously both committed to doing what ever the Rangers feel the best development path is to get to the NHL.

Grachev is going to be a monster in the OHL.

Old
06-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Levitate

Someone mentioned that Brampton is pretty set at center, so I wonder if they'll move Grachev to the wing and start that conversion?

Old
06-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Someone mentioned that Brampton is pretty set at center, so I wonder if they'll move Grachev to the wing and start that conversion?
my guess is that they will talk to the rangers about that

Old
06-26-2008, 03:53 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Really, can't go wrong with those picks, they're obviously both committed to doing what ever the Rangers feel the best development path is to get to the NHL.

Grachev is going to be a monster in the OHL.
I can't wait to see what he can do!

Old
06-26-2008, 03:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

He's a big kid.

I think his size will play to his advantage in the OHL.

Old
06-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Draft Guru

Quote:
I second that.

Old
06-26-2008, 05:05 PM
n_a_c

If he plays in the OHL, will he be ineligible to play in the AHL until he is 20?

Old
06-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_c View Post
If he plays in the OHL, will he be ineligible to play in the AHL until he is 20?
i believe that since he was drafted in the nhl prior to the chl, that rule doesn't apply.

Old
06-26-2008, 05:10 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_c View Post
No...players drafted from Europe not in the CHL at the time are not bound by the agreement between the NHL and CHL.

Old
06-26-2008, 06:33 PM
NYR469

he should just skip juniors completely and go directly to hartford...he's big enough physically to make the jump and he'll develop more in hartford/charlotte under the direct control of our guys than facing 16 year olds. plus if AA is back in hartford he can take him under his wings

Old
06-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Unk

Quote:
Just curious, whats wrong w/ the Q? I'm guessing its been a weaker league in the past few years?

Closed Thread