HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3rd Round Pick

Old
06-21-2008, 10:16 AM
lfchockey*

vCash: 500
3rd Round Pick

The Hawks choose Shawn Lalonde with the 68th overall pick.
This is a great pickup for the Hawks. He's a very fast, mobile defenceman that was ranked a lot higher

Here is the write-up on Lalonde by Darkside Cowboy:
Shawn Lalonde is one of the fastest
skaters in the OHL. He played this year with the
Belleville Bulls where he was a key player on
the blueline. Lalonde has always been effective
on offense, displaying playmaking abilities by
distributing the puck to open teammates and
being able to fire a hard shot to the net. This
year, he showed improvement in his defensive
game by battling physically in the corners and
in front of the net. He also ties up his man more
regularly. Lalonde still needs to improve his
decision making as he does not always pick the
best option. He also needs to get stronger

lfchockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:20 AM
lfchockey*

I was really hoping that we'd take Niemi or Petrov with our 72nd pick but apparently we traded it to the Islanders?!?!?!?!

Anyone know the details.

We must have traded up to get the 68th pick from Toronto.

Edit: apparently the Isles actualy owned the Leafs pick when they took Bailey in the first round and we also lost a 4th round pick to get Lalonde by moving up 4 spots.

Last edited by lfchockey*: 06-21-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old
06-21-2008, 10:31 AM
lfchockey*

The Islanders look like they're putting together a great late round draft.

Old
06-21-2008, 11:09 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

I will keep you guys updated with Lalonde for his remianing years in Belleville as I have season tickets.

This is a huge steal for you guys. He has been compared to Brian Campbell.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Hawkster
Got Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
I will keep you guys updated with Lalonde for his remianing years in Belleville as I have season tickets.

The updates would be much appreciated. Thanks.

If the 2nd part of that post works out, that'll be fine also.

Hawkster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Kevin Hopson

Quote:

I have heard mixed reviews of him. He definitely has the skating talents of a Brian Campbell but there are doubts about his offensive abilities, as well as his play in the defensive end. He makes bad reads in both ends and looks out of his element when trying to be physical. Also, he does not possess the stick-handling skills that Campbell does. As a result, I think it's an overly optimistic comparison. Chicago could use a quality puck-moving defenseman but I'm not sure if he is the guy.

Kevin Hopson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:08 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hopson View Post
I have heard mixed reviews of him. He definitely has the skating talents of a Brian Campbell but there are doubts about his offensive abilities, as well as his play in the defensive end. He makes bad reads in both ends and looks out of his element when trying to be physical. Also, he does not possess the stick-handling skills that Campbell does. As a result, I think it's an overly optimistic comparison. Chicago could use a quality puck-moving defenseman but I'm not sure if he is the guy.
Weak offensively? Well he doesnt play with any one that is any good offensively and is often asked to sit back and use his skating to help defensively. If he used his shot more hed score more goals. Hes a pretty good stick handler so im not sure where that comes from.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:02 AM
lfchockey*

I think the big thing for Lalonde is that he played on a very strong team and didn't see a heck of a lot of PP time due to Subban.
Hopefully that changes this year and the Hawks can give the Bulls a little '$direction$' about the powerplay

Old
06-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Kevin Hopson

Quote:
Weak offensively? Well he doesnt play with any one that is any good offensively and is often asked to sit back and use his skating to help defensively. If he used his shot more hed score more goals. Hes a pretty good stick handler so im not sure where that comes from.
No, he's not weak offensively. He could see the ice better and make smarter decisions at times. That's what I was getting at. It sometimes holds him back. He's got the tools from a physical standpoint. He just needs to improve his mental game. Also, I was comparing his stick-handling skills to Campbell. Lalonde is good but he doesn't bring the puck up ice like Campbell, in my opinion.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hopson View Post
Interestingly this entire paragraph could have been written about Duncan Keith two or three years ago.

That seems to have worked out well for the Hawks so far...

You can teach players to be at least reasonably responsible. You can't teach them to skate like the wind. Good pick.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:53 PM
hawksfan50

THe Lalonde "gambit" will be measured in future by whether he booms or busts BUT ALSO by the opportunity costs of who they could have taken with their original 3rd roumder 4 picks later (it might have been Lallonde ANYWAY) + the pick they gave up in the 4th round to move up..

IF I were GM --despite the Hawks wish to re-stock D-men for the system,I would have drafted MICHAEL HUTCHINSON(G) and DUSTIN TOKARSKI (G) with those original 3rd and 4th picks...

I believe either both or at least 1 of them willbe an impact starting goalie in future in the NHL and that is too much VALUE given up to risk that LALONDE is going to be a future all-star D-man..

I could be wrong,but I think the Hawks blew this badly..Secondly if Lalonde was that good-WHY did he fall so far? WHy did 29 other teams pass on him despite his much higher ranking at32 by Central Scouting and the buzz about him rising through Belleville's success in the OHL playoffs --is it because scouts for those teams still saw lots of defensive issues with his play at the MEM CUP?

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Kevin Hopson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
Interestingly this entire paragraph could have been written about Duncan Keith two or three years ago.

That seems to have worked out well for the Hawks so far...

You can teach players to be at least reasonably responsible. You can't teach them to skate like the wind. Good pick.
Yeah, sometimes they (picks) work out and sometimes they don't. I never said Lalonde didn't have the potential. Obviously, you are either born a great skater or you are not. A player can improve his skating ability marginally but not to the degree where they are going to go from being average to exceptionally quick. As a result, I agree with you on that. However, while you can teach players to become more responsible on the ice, instincts and hockey IQ are traits (like skating) that come natural to people. Lalonde can get better but I doubt he'll ever become the smartest player on the ice.

Old
06-22-2008, 02:41 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
THe Lalonde "gambit" will be measured in future by whether he booms or busts BUT ALSO by the opportunity costs of who they could have taken with their original 3rd roumder 4 picks later (it might have been Lallonde ANYWAY) + the pick they gave up in the 4th round to move up..

IF I were GM --despite the Hawks wish to re-stock D-men for the system,I would have drafted MICHAEL HUTCHINSON(G) and DUSTIN TOKARSKI (G) with those original 3rd and 4th picks...

I believe either both or at least 1 of them willbe an impact starting goalie in future in the NHL and that is too much VALUE given up to risk that LALONDE is going to be a future all-star D-man..

I could be wrong,but I think the Hawks blew this badly..Secondly if Lalonde was that good-WHY did he fall so far? WHy did 29 other teams pass on him despite his much higher ranking at32 by Central Scouting and the buzz about him rising through Belleville's success in the OHL playoffs --is it because scouts for those teams still saw lots of defensive issues with his play at the MEM CUP?
He doesn't get a chance to provide offence on the PP because of who he is stuck behind. His skating is smooth, strong and is probably his best trait of his play. He has a hard shot, but needs to use it more.

It was a steal, that is for sure. I have no idea why he fell so far but that doesn't mean that Chicago blew this pick. He had an average Memorial Cup. He was great in the wins and not good in the losses. It seemed that way for everyone however.

He is strong 1-on-1 just needs to work on his decision making. He actaully was getting better by the end of the year, so if he keeps it up, this will look real good for Chicago.

Old
06-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Kevin Hopson

Quote:
He doesn't get a chance to provide offence on the PP because of who he is stuck behind. His skating is smooth, strong and is probably his best trait of his play. He has a hard shot, but needs to use it more.

It was a steal, that is for sure. I have no idea why he fell so far but that doesn't mean that Chicago blew this pick. He had an average Memorial Cup. He was great in the wins and not good in the losses. It seemed that way for everyone however.

He is strong 1-on-1 just needs to work on his decision making. He actaully was getting better by the end of the year, so if he keeps it up, this will look real good for Chicago.

I agree. He was stuck on the second power play unit last year so if he makes the jump to the first unit next year, it will be a better gauge.

Old
06-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Snowhawk

Quote:

Why did he fall so far?

I don't know, why did Zetterberg and Datsyuk fall to the 200's in there draft years?

All it takes is one team to see potantial the others don't. Remeber one man's trash could be another man's treasure!

Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Secondly if Lalonde was that good-WHY did he fall so far? WHy did 29 other teams pass on him despite his much higher ranking at32 by Central Scouting and the buzz about him rising through Belleville's success in the OHL playoffs --is it because scouts for those teams still saw lots of defensive issues with his play at the MEM CUP?
If Hutchinson or Tokarksi are that good, why did they fall so far? Why did so many other teams pass on them?

That's a ridiculous question to ask in trying to prove your point.

Gardebut30 is online now   Reply With Quote