HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The GM "Old Boy" Network

Old
06-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Kid_Roll

vCash: 500
The GM "Old Boy" Network

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...d-aa39bed09bfa

OK, so we've all heard rumblings of a "backlash" against MG since a) Nonis got pushed out and was apparently loved by other GM's and b) MG used to be a player agent.

So at first I was fine, I assumed after a couple of weeks of cold shoulders from GM's, it would be business as usual. But after reading this article, it looks like it could be worse than that.

So this post is for me to complain and grumble about how freaking stupid it is that GM's would do this. Grow a pair, man up, and let everyone do their jobs. It will be really really freaking annoying if Vancouver suffers a setback just because we didn't hire a GM that the other GM's felt was "cool".

I think/hope everything will be fine after MG's first year, but this "hazing" of GM by throwing around rumors to everyone they can to try and phaze MG seems just so petty.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:01 PM
FruityPants3*

I guess, in theory, if he's being shunned by GMs, if that's how the business actually works, then he should have a major advantage when it comes to free agency and he's dealing with his old fraternity.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:15 PM
bossy

Quote " Two GMs were saying the same thing. So were two other front-office guys."
Sources Ed, sources.
More garbage from the local fishwrap.

bossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:16 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

I thought so too at first, but upon thinking this through, Gillis did recieive a lot of calls about the Sedins, he is/was obviously talking to Carolina about Bieksa, etc...etc..so I don't think this story holds any water.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid_Roll View Post
OK, so we've all heard rumblings of a "backlash" against MG since a) Nonis got pushed out and was apparently loved by other GM's and b) MG used to be a player agent.
meh, it's not like any of the other GM's threw Nonis a bone when we had all those injuries last season. I don't recall his fishing buddy Burke doing the Canucks any favors for Nonis (other than maybe letting Skinner continue playing on the Moose after he was dealt) during the past several years.

In the end...."Business is Business".

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:23 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy View Post
Quote " Two GMs were saying the same thing. So were two other front-office guys."
Sources Ed, sources.
More garbage from the local fishwrap.
Agreed. I hate our ****ing media guys. Should fire them all...Gallagher, Willes, Botchford should go first!

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
west in the east

If they are actively giving him a hard time then that is extremely unprofessional and reflects poorly in the profession as a whole. Let just hope that if that is the case its just some minor hazing in.

west in the east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
ctrl-F

"

not found.

Rotting Corpse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Kid_Roll

Yeah, I am sure I am over-reacting to an Ed Willes piece, but it's monday morning, we have a week and a bit till July 1st.....I'm on edge damnit!

Like I said, I think things will turn out fine, it's just annoying to hear about GM's being dicks for no real reason.

Old
06-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ryan View Post
ctrl-F

"

not found.

So.....confused......

Unless you mean there were no actual quotes from sources? Being subtle on Monday morning, come on man, I'm not up for that.

Old
06-23-2008, 12:27 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

well if GMs don't want to deal with a guy and help out their teams .......well should they be a GM in the NHL then?...i say screw em all

this isn't high school

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:28 PM
west in the east

On thing that seems to be true, though, the media in this city really seem to have it out for Gillis

west in the east is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:31 PM
19nazzy

Whatever. Nonis being 'in' certainly didn't help this team improve its offense. And outside of 2 slam dunk deals (Luongo falling in his lap and Mitchell being willing to sign for less to play here) he didn't do much.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:33 PM
tantalum

To me if a GM isn't willing to deal with another GM because of a perceived or real slight then that GM isn't doing his job. Professional sport is all too often full of 5 year olds in grown up bodies.

Man up. Get over it and realize that perhaps by dealing with this guy you might be able to improve your team. Which sort of leads me to something else...are some GMs a little ticked off not that Gillis got the job but that haven't been able to take advantage of this rookie GM?

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:33 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy View Post
Whatever. Nonis being 'in' certainly didn't help this team improve its offense. And outside of 2 slam dunk deals (Luongo falling in his lap and Mitchell being willing to sign for less to play here) he didn't do much.
maybe that's why he was "in" didn't become a threat in signing guys or making trades

so no other GM had to worry about the Nucks

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

I think this effect probably does exist to an extent, but it's being completely overblown here by Willis who once again does a fairly poor job at concealing his 'agenda'. I tend to base my opinion on the results rather then the actual rhetoric making the rounds. What we loosely know this far is that other teams called about the Sedins (but they are still Canucks), there has been interest in Bieksa, we attempted to get Cammalleria + LA 1st + Moller for the 10th overall, and we stayed away from Jokinen due to some undisclosed 'locker-room issues'.

I don't think there is much indication of any bias in these deals. LA obviously did not want to part with Moller, and we valued Hodgson over Cammalleri + LA's 1st. I would tend to agree with Gillis on this one as I'm not a huge Cammalleri fan.

I'm not surprised that teams are calling about the Sedins. Anytime you have a new regime you'll probably see an increase in inquiries about EVERY player on the team. I'm sure Gillis has gotten some tenative calls about Luongo as well. The Sedin issue has been over-blown due to certain media types reading too much into Gillis' opening press conference.

Regarding Jokinen, by all accounts the advice to stay away from him came from Scott Mellanby (as I doubt Krajicek or Luongo would have been involved), who we hired for this very reason (the majority of posters approved of this hiring). If the rumours circulating around this issue are true, I'm glad we stayed away from him.

The Bieksa shopping is a no-brainer in my opinion. Edler and Bieksa are basically our only viable assets that can bring in some of the offense we need, and there are greater options in the UFA market to replace these defensemen then find centres/right-wingers.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Kid_Roll

Random aside, is that all we know about Jokinen? The rumor of being a "locker room cancer"?

Just seemed out of left field, I hadn't heard anything bad about him up until this point. (Not that I pay much attention to Florida, but still)

Old
06-23-2008, 12:40 PM
LeftCoast

Talk about lazy. I'm just wondering what news, facts or information Willes was reporting in this story? I don't have the inclination to talley it up, but probably 2/3 or the teams in the league havn't made any since the end of the season. Anyone can throw up a bunch of speculation when there is absolutely no way to confirm any of it. What a waste of electrons.

LeftCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Flinch*

There was a fairly well documented event where Jokinen and Horton took off from a charity golf tourney after playing one hole to go to a strip club. There were numerous people who had paid a ton of money to play with him and were pretty pissed when it didn't happen.

His teammates weren't too impressed, either.

As for this article,

I think we're seeing the effects of Gillis deciding to not be 'media friendly' with the local press, especially in comparison with Nonis and The Mouth That Roared. Media doesn't like being kept in the dark and are lashing out.

I don't see how GMs are giving him the cold shoulder. Martin apparently called up Gillis wrt Jokinen and there was a seemingly fair deal proposed for Squid Boy. Gillis decided that he valued our 10th overall pick more than a pending free agent who has had contract squabbles his entire career.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:44 PM
Zaddik

Send a message via MSN to Zaddik
Quote:
http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...d-aa39bed09bfa

So at first I was fine, I assumed after a couple of weeks of cold shoulders from GM's, it would be business as usual. But after reading this article, it looks like it could be worse than that.

So this post is for me to complain and grumble about how freaking stupid it is that GM's would do this. Grow a pair, man up, and let everyone do their jobs. It will be really really freaking annoying if Vancouver suffers a setback just because we didn't hire a GM that the other GM's felt was "cool".

I think/hope everything will be fine after MG's first year, but this "hazing" of GM by throwing around rumors to everyone they can to try and phaze MG seems just so petty.
even if the article were acurate, it would still be understandable as to why these practices exist. would you not support your friends and harbor ill intent over those who choose to demean them?

Zaddik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:46 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Gillis isn't the first agent turned GM in the NHL... did we hear about any of this stuff when Lacroix took over the Avs or Barnett with the coyotes?? probably not because they weren't under the same type of local media microscope.

and while the success of each of those GMs was quite different, both of them made a boat load of trades... obviously other GMs around the league were prepared to negotiate with them... what makes Gillis so different?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
I think we're seeing the effects of Gillis deciding to not be 'media friendly' with the local press, especially in comparison with Nonis and The Mouth That Roared. Media doesn't like being kept in the dark and are lashing out.
Yeah, I keep wondering that myself. I have no idea how things were run with Nonis, but I get the feeling he had an open door policy with the media almost (Like they could drop by, they would have a nice chat, he'd give them an on the record sound byte, then chat about off the record crap) whereas MG is keeping things much closer to the vest.

It honestly seems like the media keeps throwing little tantrums/bitter shots at MG since he got here, as if they are annoyed their easy ride ended with Nonis.

Anyways, it's all conjecture, I could be way off base.

Old
06-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Yeah, I keep wondering that myself. I have no idea how things were run with Nonis, but I get the feeling he had an open door policy with the media almost (Like they could drop by, they would have a nice chat, he'd give them an on the record sound byte, then chat about off the record crap) whereas MG is keeping things much closer to the vest.

It honestly seems like the media keeps throwing little tantrums/bitter shots at MG since he got here, as if they are annoyed their easy ride ended with Nonis.

Anyways, it's all conjecture, I could be way off base.
I think MacIntyre wrote an article talking about how Gillis has been media 'shy' so it's not entirely baseless.

But seriously? The Canucks are griping about not getting Camel Toe or Jokinen? Again, one is a pending UFA that is going to more than likely be a headache to negotiate with (look at Camel's past history with contract talks) and Jokinen is not a great guy, personality wise.

And fine, fair enough, if Gilles thinks that these two were absolutely necessary to secure the Canucks future success, why wasn't he lambasting Nonis for the same thing? Consistency, Special Ed.

Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Dana Murzyn

Let's recap:

1) There was some loose chatter that the Sedins could be traded
2) Gillis was unable to swap the 10th pick for Cammalleri or Umberger
3) Gillis also didn't get Jokinen, who he wasn't pursuing

In conclusion, Gillis is being shunned by the other GMs.

There isn't even a strand of chewing gum connecting the evidence to the premise.

Dana Murzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:03 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
I think MacIntyre wrote an article talking about how Gillis has been media 'shy' so it's not entirely baseless.

But seriously? The Canucks are griping about not getting Camel Toe or Jokinen? Again, one is a pending UFA that is going to more than likely be a headache to negotiate with (look at Camel's past history with contract talks) and Jokinen is not a great guy, personality wise.

And fine, fair enough, if Gilles thinks that these two were absolutely necessary to secure the Canucks future success, why wasn't he lambasting Nonis for the same thing? Consistency, Special Ed.
Cammy will be back on the market again next year. I just can't see a player with a fragile psyche doing very well on Mike "Mind Games" Keenan coached team.

Sutter must not like Keenan so much anymore. Huselius AND Cammelleri? Maybe he should sign Yashin as well.

LeftCoast is online now   Reply With Quote