HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reason for all the American picks?

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2008, 04:54 PM
SeNaToR PhIL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
The funny thing out of this "pick Quebec players!" thing is that when a Quebecer does get picked, they either turn out with huge egos and lack of work ethic (Dagenais, Ribeiro, Theo), or they become huge stars way too early (Latendresse) and it hurts their development. They also have a huge amount of pressure to deal with because they are local.

I'd much rather we pick a dude from Minnesota who won't be asked to part the Red Sea in his first season.
Exactly!!!

Briere and Lecavalier know this all too well.

Old
06-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Corey

Why is it that a vocal minority of hockey fans who live in Québec have this obsession while the Americans, the Russians, the Swiss, the French, and many others (including Canadians from the other provinces) are willing to take on foreigners? Is it because they just want to see hockey while the Québécois see it as an expression of nationalism? This attitude reminds me of what the the Beijing Olympics means to the Chinese.

Old
06-21-2008, 05:29 PM
V-2 Schneider

Don't discount a strong streak of anti Americanism that runs through Canadian society, most notably though in Quebec.It's childish and destructive, but it's there.

Old
06-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-2 Schneider View Post
Don't discount a strong streak of anti Americanism that runs through Canadian society, most notably though in Quebec.It's childish and destructive, but it's there.
Let's hope the fans don't get in the way of a winning team. Fortunately it's out of their hands and those of the Molson-Corey-Houle-Tremblay bunglers.

Incidentally, my board name is intended to mock Ron Corey.

Old
06-21-2008, 06:36 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Incidentally, my board name is intended to mock Ron Corey.
He is actually a really great guy.

Old
06-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
He is actually a really great guy, who made bad decisions and is as guilty as anyone else including both Molson's and Reggie Houle for the dark ages of this franchise
Fixed

Old
06-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Hab Shark
Better call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The reason is because American leagues are only recently starting to produce really good players and they are still relatively unscouted, compared to the CHL. And there are so many high school leagues that there's only so much you can cover...So there are a lot of quality players that are unknown and available.
Very well said WF!

I can attest that there has been a huge growth in junior hockey in the States lately and with a kid playing in USAHockey, I can attest that it appears that they have modeled it very closely to Canadian hockey in recent years. Maybe Gainey's scouting dept is a litlle stronger in the States than most other teams?

Old
06-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
the leaders of Hockey Quebec are the problem.
Every chance we have as coaches we tell them how it has to be yet they dont listen. They just look for excuses.

I remember in Febuary I was at a tournament and I was watching a game along side the head coaches of 3 other teams in the VIP section. Some man walks in and presented himself to us. It turned out to be the President of hockey quebec.

We spoke to him and basically ripped into him for 25 minutes. all he was doing was looking for excuses to cover his ass and the rest of hockey quebec. its all one big joke.
And the thing is, the coachs are doing a good job. My nephew is in minor hockey and the coachs are dedicated as Hell, they spend time with the kids, teaching them the basics all the time. It has a much better structure than when I was a kid playing hockey. They teach them to be hard-working, to never let up, etc...They push them all the time. Maybe in ten years this method will give great results but for now all i'm saying I was impressed by what I saw.

As for the Habs drafting in America more I think it's a matter of having better scouts in the US and Russia. That's our strength. The Red Wings draft in Sweden. They have a great formula and it gave them the cup. Let's face it our great drafting in Russia was a strong part of the reason why we ended up first in the East.

Old
06-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
im talking development wise. not money wise.
Quebec doesnt know how to develop players at a young age.
Strong words. Because in Quebec city at least they are doing a fantastic job from what i've seen this year.

Old
06-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Strong words. Because in Quebec city at least they are doing a fantastic job from what i've seen this year.
In and around Montreal it's a big fail.
I'm in the arena's 5-6 sometimes even 7 times a week from late August to early April and i see what goes on during the practices and the games. Most of it is all a joke. It is beyond me how some of these coaches get their coaching grades from hockey quebec.

some Bantam AA practices look easier then some I've seen done with atome players.
BANTAM AA is one of the most important year for young players. The next season could be it..MIDGET AAA awaits you. If you have a coach who shows you nothing all year, what happens when you arive at camp for AAA?

You can have all the skills needed but if your lost out there what happens?

Old
06-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
edit: you want to talk, let's see what the people of Quebec think of Houle (pure laine Quebecois) and Gainey (anglophone).
Let's not.

I don't think anyone here who is getting mad at TT's strategy is much of a Habs fan. There's a lot to say about racist people but this isn't the place to do it.

I have read this thread trying really hard not to jump on certain people, let's just ignore it if people aren't willing to grow beyond their prejudices.

Very interesting to hear the discussion of development / coaching in the Q. I never thought anything but the best would come out of such a hockey hotbed, it's shocking to hear otherwise.

Old
06-21-2008, 08:37 PM
CanadienErrant*

OK, OK

Junior hockey is crap in the Q. Bad coaching, bad organizations, bad arenas, bad behaviours...

Buffalo and Colorado must be retarded to have drafted 3 players from the Q each.

Anaheim, Toronto, NJ Devils and San Jose, two each...

These guys know nothing about hockey. That's for sure.

Old
06-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
OK, OK

Junior hockey is crap in the Q. Bad coaching, bad organizations, bad arenas, bad behaviours...

Buffalo and Colorado must be retarded to have drafted 3 players from the Q each.

Anaheim, Toronto, NJ Devils and San Jose, two each...

These guys know nothing about hockey. That's for sure.
yes, because its a bad league, it cant have good players....and if they all suck like you say, what do you care if other teams stock up with them?

Old
06-21-2008, 08:44 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
yes, because its a bad league, it cant have good players....and if they all suck like you say, what do you care if other teams stock up with them?
You did not get my point, I think. It's called sarcasm.

Why other teams feel that the Q has some talent worthwile to draft, while the only NHL team East of the Ottawa River doesn't bother ?

Old
06-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

Why other teams feel that the Q has some talent worthwile to draft, while the only NHL team East of the Ottawa River doesn't bother ?
And the team east of the ottawa river has one of the best draft records out of anyone in the league....

I'm sure there were QMJHL players on Timmins list, but if a higher ranked, American, OHL, Russian, etc were on the board you have to take the BPA....

If we were picking in different spots maybe we take a Q guy.

Old
06-21-2008, 08:49 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
And the team east of the ottawa river has one of the best draft records out of anyone in the league....

I'm sure there were QMJHL players on Timmins list, but if a higher ranked, American, OHL, Russian, etc were on the board you have to take the BPA....

Maybe not.

Old
06-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

Didnt Timmis say was interested in Deschamps?

Old
06-21-2008, 08:51 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Didnt Timmis say was interested in Deschamps?
Like last year, when he said they were interested in Esposito and Perron.

Old
06-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Like last year, when he said they were interested in Esposito and Perron.
Do you honestly think we should have taken Esposito last year??? Honestly??

Old
06-21-2008, 09:12 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

We don't draft players from the Q, what about Fortier, Carle, Latendresse, Aubin, Paquet (raised in Quebec), Lapierre, Urquhart, Bonneau, Dulac-Lemelin, Lacasse, Dany Stewart, that's Timmins from 5 drafts. Add the undrafted FA's, Beauregard, Desharnais, Desjardins and Danis as well plus Cote, Michaud, Sanford, Ferland from the Q and likely Lats brother.

Old
06-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
We don't draft players from the Q, what about Fortier, Carle, Latendresse, Aubin, Paquet (raised in Quebec), Lapierre, Urquhart, Bonneau, Dulac-Lemelin, Lacasse, Dany Stewart, that's Timmins from 5 drafts. Add the undrafted FA's, Beauregard, Desharnais, Desjardins and Danis as well plus Cote, Michaud, Sanford, Ferland from the Q and likely Lats brother.

lol, I knew you would be the one to come and put him in his place

Old
06-21-2008, 09:22 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
first of many

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Please, Hammer, don't hurt him!

06-21-2008, 10:49 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

The one thing that irritates me about those American draftees is the way they say "Mawntreal" instead of "Muntreal" like it should be pronounced.

I remember Fischer said "Mawntreal", as did McDonagh, Pacman didn't, but Kristo did

Other than that, they could come from Jamaica for all I care as long as they can play hockey. I think we should learn by now to trust Timmins, he's a genius.

Old
06-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
To rds' defence (somewhat.....they are bad Q homers), Luc Gelinas has been decent from the floor.

The rest is just horrible, unprofessional jiberish. It's hard to imagine another job where your connections can keep you there for so long inspite of the fact that you are a complete moron.
''Le probleme,c'est que on ne connait pas ces joueurs.''-Yvon Pedneault stated that at last year's draft and the other RDS staff seemingly agreed with him.

Not to mention the scandal that the Montreal francophone media created because of the lack of Q players drafted by the Canadiens last year.Disgusting.

Old
06-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
I don't see such a thing in the majority of my friends.
But it is legitimate to want to see good players of Quebec play in Quebec.
Same applies in Ontario.

Given that and the low number of players from Quebec drafted by the organization (I thinking of top players - Tanguay being the first in the current roster (Lats not there yet)) I think the comment is legitimate but sometimes formulation...

But I have seen also Quebec bashing on some posts.
We should avoid this loop unless we are ready to have civilized exchange. Which will not happen...

I don't see the core of Quebec against American but they are more "Democrat" than "Republican".
I actually would say that the Anti-American sentiment is stronger in Anglo-Canadians than with French-Canadians.

I would also make the case that the population of Quebec is seing themselves as more Green.
But some of us could be surprised if we did a full assessment...

Quebec was also a very big proponent of free trade agreement with US.
Now, after the next election, the perception of Quebec may change...

Let's stick to Hockey.
edit: you want to talk, let's see what the people of Quebec think of Houle (pure laine Quebecois) and Gainey (anglophone).
Reedit: in my previous post on this same thread, I did reformulate the Pick American vs Pick Quebec in it's real perspective: Pick American vs Pick Canada. Also, I don't know why but I see the picture of Don Cherry in my face when we do this discussion. He is the perfect guy to show that Canadian "Perspective"...
I appreciate what you say and I was careful to specify a vocal minority in my post. My old landlord, Pierre Lanoue (God rest his soul), would agree with me. We both disagreed with Don Cherry.

Closed Thread