HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rimouski game on sportsnet yesterday?

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2004, 11:35 AM
sidelines

vCash:
Rimouski game on sportsnet yesterday?

Did anyone watch it? Can someone fill me on how Pouliot looked?

Old
02-16-2004, 11:41 AM
TheFranchise83

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname_brand

Jacques was also playing for Baie Comeau. I was kind of watching in between breaks of the Nashville game but not enough to get a gauge of how well either of them did. I know Pouliot made a few really nice passes during my limited viewing time one of them was crosby's first goal.

Old
02-16-2004, 11:46 AM
MoeLemayStays

Jacques, Pouliot and Crosby made it interesting to flip between games.

Alexandre Blais at 5'4 was so cool to see, but he didn't play enough after BC went down.

It's also fun when Score broadcasts a Roadrunner game at the same time as an Oiler game.

Old
02-16-2004, 11:58 AM
JRTriptych

Pouliot Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by noname_brand
I watched a bit of the game. Pouliot seems to be very solid on his feet and fairly strong along the boards. He did not shy away from going in front of the net, and he has persistence in his pursuit of the puck in traffic. I suspect he is the sort of centre who will require a quick-shooting winger (perhaps Jani Rita?).

Old
02-16-2004, 12:20 PM
Lowetide

Pouliot had a goal and an assist yesterday, playing what I would estimate to be well short of 20 minutes. He seemed to be on and off Crosby's line, so I have no idea how many shifts, etc.

He looked very good to me, and as mentioned made several beauty passes. One of them was stunning. The puck went wide of the net and rattled around the boards at high speed as the players chased it. Pouliot arrived first, settled, cradled the puck for an instant, then sent a pass in the high slot for a very good scoring chance.

He's now at 37gp, 22-27-49 (1.32PPG) which is a nice step forward from last season's 1.12 ppg (73 points in 65 games).

I think he's a good one.

Jacques impressed me as well, he has little fear and is one of those guys who always seems to be around the puck.

Certainly an encouraging game imo.

Old
02-16-2004, 12:49 PM
Izzy4Real

Didn't see too much of it but Pouliot reminded me of Gomez in that he was strong on his skates, made a few great passes, wasn't too afraid of contact, (in the Q mind you) and was a quick decision maker.

But Crosby is TOO good! If I were his parents or anyone close to him I'd say switch to the O, Dub, or especially the NCAA next year because I'd think it vital he develops in a league that specializes on contact and defense, and that is DEFINITELY not the QMJHL.

Old
02-16-2004, 02:04 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy4Real
Didn't see too much of it but Pouliot reminded me of Gomez in that he was strong on his skates, made a few great passes, wasn't too afraid of contact, (in the Q mind you) and was a quick decision maker.

But Crosby is TOO good! If I were his parents or anyone close to him I'd say switch to the O, Dub, or especially the NCAA next year because I'd think it vital he develops in a league that specializes on contact and defense, and that is DEFINITELY not the QMJHL.
not eligible for NCAA, and trading Crosby interleague would be extremely unlikely.

I still say his best bet for next year (developmentally) is to play in Europe, but he'll probably just stay in the Q.

Old
02-16-2004, 02:12 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
not eligible for NCAA, and trading Crosby interleague would be extremely unlikely.

I still say his best bet for next year (developmentally) is to play in Europe, but he'll probably just stay in the Q.
Crosby is good enough to play in the NHL now.

Old
02-16-2004, 02:16 PM
creative giant*

I wonder if Crosby would give the WHA a try. I'm not sure what their minimum age requirement would be, but it would certainly give the league some publicity.

Old
02-16-2004, 02:21 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMenace
I wonder if Crosby would give the WHA a try. I'm not sure what their minimum age requirement would be, but it would certainly give the league some publicity.

a la Gretzky.

Old
02-16-2004, 02:34 PM
Matts

Lt

was it just me or did MAP look bigger than 6-2? Glad to hear you liked him though.

from thesounds of what you're saying he's gonna be a two way centre?

Last edited by Matts: 02-16-2004 at 02:35 PM. Reason: content
Old
02-16-2004, 02:38 PM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
was it just me or did MAP look bigger than 6-2? Glad to hear you liked him though.

Every time I've been to see Pouliot play he looks taller than 6'2. I think it may have something to do with the fact that he's so skinny though.

Old
02-16-2004, 05:41 PM
HFAdvisor

pouliot

Agreed with JRT... this kid was pretty solid in pretty mcuh all aspects.... but i'm jus wondering how he skates.... i only caught glimpses of his skating and i think that was one aspect that he could improve upon. but props to his hockey sense

AS for JFJ that kid played awesome with leblanc.... but was impressive by goin to the net almost every chance he got.... hope he turns out well

Old
02-16-2004, 06:36 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFAdvisor
Agreed with JRT... this kid was pretty solid in pretty mcuh all aspects.... but i'm jus wondering how he skates.... i only caught glimpses of his skating and i think that was one aspect that he could improve upon. but props to his hockey sense
I thought his skating was really solid, there were a number of occasions where he husseled back and prevented odd man rushes and where he beat guys to the puck on the forecheck. I recall two plays where his skating really stood out, On the one penalty kill where he beat both defenders to the puck and continued to hold off the two and center a beuty of a pass that was faned on by the guy coming in. The other was when there was a clear cut two on one against Rimuski (sp) and Pouliot came all the way back and lifted the other guys stick and the pass went harmlessly into the corner.

Old
02-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFAdvisor

AS for JFJ that kid played awesome with leblanc.... but was impressive by goin to the net almost every chance he got.... hope he turns out well
JFJ has the size and consistent hitting we've really lack at RW ever since we traded Grier (BG rarely shows up these days) so he could fill a real need. It will be interesting to watch how the MAP/JFJ combo compares to Parise over time

Old
02-16-2004, 09:02 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts

From what I've read he is one of the few Q players with a defensive conscience, but I haven't seen enough of him to really say anything concrete.

As for size, agree absolutely he looks much bigger than the guys around him. Are there a lot of little guys in the Q?

Old
02-16-2004, 11:31 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
JFJ has the size and consistent hitting we've really lack at RW ever since we traded Grier (BG rarely shows up these days) so he could fill a real need. It will be interesting to watch how the MAP/JFJ combo compares to Parise over time
JFJ sure laid a beauty of an open ice hit in front of his own net there, not often that you see one of those in that area

He honestly looked a lot more skillful than I had expected but at the same time he looked lazy on quite a few occasions too. He made a nice quick on-the-tape-pass from behind the net that was eerily similar to a play that M-A-P made in that game.

I really liked the little 23 inch pass that Pouliot made to Crosby in front of the net.

Sure enough Marc may have been able to score on that play himself, but he and Sid made that goal look like something from a script. It was so effortless it was just sick. That's the kind of play that we haven't seen the Oilers make in a long, long, long, long time.

You sure get the feeling that the Oilers have given up on their speed hangup watching him play, speed isn't among his greatest assets. He will need to be quite a bit stronger too.

Old
02-17-2004, 11:41 AM
get yer Aivazoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerrick
a la Gretzky.

talk about history repeating. I wonder if the EIG could sign Crosby to a 21-year personal services contract?
I assume the NHL closed that loophole at some point...

Closed Thread