HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Inquiry: Panthers defensemen?

Old
06-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Lunatik*

vCash: 500
Inquiry: Panthers defensemen?

with acquiring Boynton & Ballard at the draft last night, do you feel the Panthers are in teh market for moving a defenseman? If you count Belak I counted 9 guys that could be NHL ready or are already regular NHLers (this includes Welch, or am I wrong about him being ready?)... If he is ready and assuming Belak is used primarily as a forward, that would still leave someone as the odd man out... who is most likely to be moved? other than Bouwmeester & Ballardis anyone untouchable?

As a Flames fan I am hoping to see some changes on our blueline so we can get rid of guys like Aucoin, Warrener & Eriksson... and I think a guy like Allen or Skastins would look really good paired with Phaneuf

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Would like to hold on to Skrastins, he came to Florida late last season and played VERY good. I think the trade was just what he needed to rebound his career, I dont want to move the guy.

but if I had to pick, it would be Van Ryn probably. I dont want to see him go, but cap hit plus injury

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
I agree it would probably be Van Ryn moved even though I'd like to keep him I still remember when he was in our top4 and played extremely well. I want to see if he could get back to that type of level, and then if need be then we trade him. But I highly doubt Martin would wait that long.

Jeff Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post
Would like to hold on to Skrastins, he came to Florida late last season and played VERY good. I think the trade was just what he needed to rebound his career, I dont want to move the guy.

but if I had to pick, it would be Van Ryn probably. I dont want to see him go, but cap hit plus injury
I think you guys are in a really good situation... even if you move a guy I think you will have one of the best all around top 6s in the NHL... I seem to be in the minority about liking this deal for the Panthers... but I am extremely high on Ballard and think he will be a very good top pairing defenseman in a couple years... so Van Ryn you say?... what kind of return would you be hoping for? I must admit though cap hit + injury makes me not want to pay as much for him either... I am also curious about Anthony Stewart... has he just fallen off the grid? I know he is still around but do you expect anything from him anymore?... Would he be available to a team hoping a fresh start might get him going?

Old
06-21-2008, 12:07 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I think you guys are in a really good situation... even if you move a guy I think you will have one of the best all around top 6s in the NHL... I seem to be in the minority about liking this deal for the Panthers... but I am extremely high on Ballard and think he will be a very good top pairing defenseman in a couple years... so Van Ryn you say?... what kind of return would you be hoping for? I must admit though cap hit + injury makes me not want to pay as much for him either... I am also curious about Anthony Stewart... has he just fallen off the grid? I know he is still around but do you expect anything from him anymore?... Would he be available to a team hoping a fresh start might get him going?
Iginla. Hey, you asked. You can even have Stumpel, Peltonen, and Mezei.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:08 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
Iginla. Hey, you asked. You can even have Stumpel, Peltonen, and Mezei.
OMG please god take them.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:08 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Well Im hoping Van Ryn can come back and prove his worth again, but I think acquiring Ballard, pretty much nixed that. I think to get Van Ryn's salary off the books he would try to get some type of notable return, I honestly couldn't tell you what I would expect. But maybe a pick. He also could try to package him with one of our useless players for offense, but I highly doubt that, ie van ryn, stumpel for XXX but haha that's only dreaming.

I personally think if his wrists have healed, and he polishes away the rust he could be a top 4 puck moving dman again. Just all depends on his wrists. But when he talked he was optimistic. We will see.

If I had to guess, Van Ryn could be had for some sort of a pick(s)

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Jeff Shafer

Quote:
I don't know how management feels about Stewart but the consensus with the fans seems to be this is his last shot at making the Panthers and honestly I'd rather just trade him, cut ties and try and give him a chance somewhere else, he doesn't seem to have the work ethic of a professional athlete. As for Mezei he could never stay healthy but was good when he played the 17 or so games a season. Stumpel and Peltenon have had their moments but I don't see us getting anything of significant value in return.

Old
06-21-2008, 12:14 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpanthers87 View Post
I don't know how management feels about Stewart but the consensus with the fans seems to be this is his last shot at making the Panthers and honestly I'd rather just trade him, cut ties and try and give him a chance somewhere else, he doesn't seem to have the work ethic of a professional athlete. As for Mezei he could never stay healthy but was good when he played the 17 or so games a season. Stumpel and Peltenon have had their moments but I don't see us getting anything of significant value in return.
Mezei was HORRIBLE, he will never be back in a florida uniform. Stumpel is starting to age and the injuries are getting him. He's not all that bad but he's not helping so...Peltonen just gave up it looks like. He had a REALLY solid year then just....didn't play good after that...

Old
06-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Jeff Shafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
Mezei was HORRIBLE, he will never be back in a florida uniform. Stumpel is starting to age and the injuries are getting him. He's not all that bad but he's not helping so...Peltonen just gave up it looks like. He had a REALLY solid year then just....didn't play good after that...
Mezei was expected to play a top 4 role on our team which I blame the person who brought him here Rick Dudley. He wouldn't be bad as a 6-7 guy if he could have stayed healthy which he couldn't. He will never put up points but he's a physical presence who does take ALOT of bad penalty's. I agree with your on your description of Stumpel. Peltonen has not played well since getting arrested with Belfour. lol

Old
06-21-2008, 12:25 PM
hoax15

Quote:
Mezei was expected to play a top 4 role on our team which I blame the person who brought him here Rick Dudley. He wouldn't be bad as a 6-7 guy if he could have stayed healthy which he couldn't. He will never put up points but he's a physical presence who does take ALOT of bad penalty's. I agree with your on your description of Stumpel. Peltonen has not played well since getting arrested with Belfour. lol
I don't know last year he had one good moment (that big hit near the end of the season) but every single game (no joke every game) he would cause a huge turn over. He's not smart with the puck and thats the team we are trying to become, a team that can move the puck very well. He will not fit our system at all.

Old
06-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Jeff Shafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoax15 View Post
I don't know last year he had one good moment (that big hit near the end of the season) but every single game (no joke every game) he would cause a huge turn over. He's not smart with the puck and thats the team we are trying to become, a team that can move the puck very well. He will not fit our system at all.
maybe were cutting him lose because of this... http://video.google.com/videosearch?...8&sa=N&tab=wv#

Courtesy of Alexander the Great. But bottom line is we have defensemen who are light years ahead of Mezei now in terms of intelligence and skill

Old
06-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Lunatik*

well since this years draft is pretty much over.... what would the Flames have to add from a package of say Nilson & a 3rd (in '09) to get Van Ryn and Stewart?...

I am mostly interested in Stewart because quite simply we don't have alot of prospects that have the ability to be more than a role player... I think that maybe there is a chance in an organization without the Booth's, Weiss' and Horton's a guy like Stewart might find his drive when seeing he is the best offensive option among prospects

Old
06-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
maybe were cutting him lose because of this... http://video.google.com/videosearch?...8&sa=N&tab=wv#

Courtesy of Alexander the Great. But bottom line is we have defensemen who are light years ahead of Mezei now in terms of intelligence and skill
well with Mezei being a UFA I was assuming he wouldn't be back with you guys anyways

Old
06-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Vitto79

Panthers have a real solid D now.........no pt to get more, need to let all the FA go

Belak is a 4th line winger now/enforcer

Is Chad Kilger actually going to play for you guys this yr?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Panthers have a real solid D now.........no pt to get more, need to let all the FA go

Belak is a 4th line winger now/enforcer

Is Chad Kilger actually going to play for you guys this yr?
Haven't heard much on Kilger. I'd like to see him come in, especially in place of Sumpel or Dvorak. I'd like to see what he can add to this team.

I see the defensemen available on this team as: Van Ryn, Welch, Murphy, possibly Skrastins, and if Bouw has said he won't sign, I can see him moved. Hopefully he'd go for a scoring package. (I'm not going to say a premier winger since those trades don't happen anymore, apparently).

I don't think I'd want Nilsson back, but would like to see-and can see mgmnt. realistically interested in-a Boyd or Lombardi. Not sure if that return is likely, but I'm sure there's a package available. I'm sure Stewart is available as reports came out last year that management were growing tired of him and his chances were running out.

06-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Haven't heard much on Kilger. I'd like to see him come in, especially in place of Sumpel or Dvorak. I'd like to see what he can add to this team.

I see the defensemen available on this team as: Van Ryn, Welch, Murphy, possibly Skrastins, and if Bouw has said he won't sign, I can see him moved. Hopefully he'd go for a scoring package. (I'm not going to say a premier winger since those trades don't happen anymore, apparently).

I don't think I'd want Nilsson back, but would like to see-and can see mgmnt. realistically interested in-a Boyd or Lombardi. Not sure if that return is likely, but I'm sure there's a package available. I'm sure Stewart is available as reports came out last year that management were growing tired of him and his chances were running out.
I think getting Lombardi or Boyd is very unlikely... especially Boyd... we feel about Boyd how you do about Booth... but for Lombardi I would probably want both Van Ryn and Stewart without the 3rd being involved from the Flames... I am also really not sure about Lombardi's value anymore... prior to the playoff I felt he and Umberger were on pretty level ground... so he may have more value than I could have imagined... especially since unlike Umberger he is signed for 2 more years at a reasonable contract

Old
06-22-2008, 03:57 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
say Nilson & a 3rd (in '09) to get Van Ryn and Stewart?...
DONE! You can keep Nilson though, we'll just take the 3rd.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:00 AM
Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate The Great View Post

I think Skrastins is VERY overated on this board - he was a -9 in 17 games with Florida. Although he had his moments, he was nothing special.

Bystander is offline   Reply With Quote