HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Buffalo/Pittsburgh

Old
06-21-2008, 08:58 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Buffalo/Pittsburgh

With Hossa leaving the Pens:

To Pittsburgh: Kotalik
To Buffalo: rights to Oprik, Ruutu (assuming Pittsburgh lets Buffalo work out contracts before the trade)

Pittsburgh gets a winger to help replace Hossa, Malone, Buffalo gets a mean top 4 d and an agitator to play with Mair-Kaleta.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 08:59 PM
CaptPantalones

vCash: 500
id like that deal.

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Gumbercules

Sounds like Orpik is going to be re-signed, especially since Hossa is likely gone. Defencemen like him can be tough to come by, so no from a Pens POV.

Gumbercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:06 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

vCash: 50
Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
seems pretty one sided to me

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Levizk

If the Pens were losing both players then that wouldn't be too bad, although I'm not familiar with Kotalik's cap hit. The thing is Orpik is probably getting signed and Hossa isn't necessarily gone just yet. Orpik will be meeting with Shero this week, and I would assume Ruutu hasn't had talks yet either. Probably not going to happen anyway, the deal with Philly worked because they paid heavily for the two guys they signed. Buffalo isn't going to blow Orpik and Ruutu out of the water with deals that'll make them skip free agency.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:22 AM
Leroux 66

unlikely from a pens pov as orpik is lilkely to be resigned, although if we cant sign either we get a pretty good return depending upon kotalik's cap hit, why would you guys want to give up kotalik?

Leroux 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:29 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levizk View Post
If the Pens were losing both players then that wouldn't be too bad, although I'm not familiar with Kotalik's cap hit. The thing is Orpik is probably getting signed and Hossa isn't necessarily gone just yet. Orpik will be meeting with Shero this week, and I would assume Ruutu hasn't had talks yet either. Probably not going to happen anyway, the deal with Philly worked because they paid heavily for the two guys they signed. Buffalo isn't going to blow Orpik and Ruutu out of the water with deals that'll make them skip free agency.
Kotalik has a cap-friendly contract considering his production: 2,333,333.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:41 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

vCash: 50
Orpik is going to be re-signed, so this gets a nix because of that. Value is more than fair if we weren't going to re-sign him, but both sides have made his return look quite inevitable.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:50 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Orpik is going to be re-signed, so this gets a nix because of that. Value is more than fair if we weren't going to re-sign him, but both sides have made his return look quite inevitable.
A message from Buffalo fans:

Drury, Briere, McKee, Dumont, et all were supposed to come back as well.

Just saying, when most players get a sniff of being able to pick where they want to live and play, they'll at least give the market a test.

Edit: of course, that simple fact makes it just as unlikely he'll sign in Buffalo if we trade for him, though, Buffalo DOES have his brother and is where he grew up.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:37 AM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
With Hossa leaving the Pens:

To Pittsburgh: Kotalik
To Buffalo: rights to Oprik, Ruutu (assuming Pittsburgh lets Buffalo work out contracts before the trade)

Pittsburgh gets a winger to help replace Hossa, Malone, Buffalo gets a mean top 4 d and an agitator to play with Mair-Kaleta.
No deal. Orpik is likely to re-sign with the Pens and is their least replacable UFA. They don't have anyone coming up like him, and the top 2 pair UFA defensive defenseman market is bone dry this summer. Commodore or Foote would be a mistake, and would cost as much.

I also really like Ruutu, and I think he could really shine if given more minutes.

The value is there, Kotalik would be cheap and be off the books soon, which is a plus. But I think with the UFA winger market looking pretty good and the UFA defensive defenseman market looking pretty lame, it doesn't make a lot of sense from the Pens POV.

Of course, if contract negotiations break down with Orpik and Ruutu, I'd rather get something more than nothing.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:43 AM
Ringer*

Orpik is from Buffalo, he is going to see if the Sabres make him an offer in my opinion. He might like playing for Pittsburgh but theres nothing like playing for your home town team. Kane also wants to come back so don't be surprised to see him as a Sabre when he hits UFA status.

Ringer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:51 AM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
A message from Buffalo fans:

Drury, Briere, McKee, Dumont, et all were supposed to come back as well.

Just saying, when most players get a sniff of being able to pick where they want to live and play, they'll at least give the market a test.

Edit: of course, that simple fact makes it just as unlikely he'll sign in Buffalo if we trade for him, though, Buffalo DOES have his brother and is where he grew up.
Well of course, it happens. But I think Briere and Drury went last year because they weren't top priorities.

I think this summers top priorities are Malkin, Orpik, and Fleury. Hossa and Malone they tried to keep, but knew that most likely there offers would be too little and that both would test free agency. Not that Orpik won't test free agency, but I think of their 3 big UFAs, the difference between what Pittsburgh is willing to offer him and what his UFA market value is is probably the smallest. Therefor, of the 3, he's the most likely to stay.

Old
06-22-2008, 01:51 AM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
Orpik is from Buffalo, he is going to see if the Sabres make him an offer in my opinion. He might like playing for Pittsburgh but theres nothing like playing for your home town team. Kane also wants to come back so don't be surprised to see him as a Sabre when he hits UFA status.
Tell that to Malone.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:52 AM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
A message from Pens fans:

playing in your hometown isn't as big a deal as you'd think

Just ask Ryan Malone.

Also, no offense, but I don't think Buffalo will pony up the cash required to pry him away from Pittsburgh.

Old
06-22-2008, 01:56 AM
hottytoddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post

Just ask Ryan Malone.

Also, no offense, but I don't think Buffalo will pony up the cash required to pry him away from Pittsburgh.
Once we get rid of Max we will!

Last edited by hottytoddy: 06-22-2008 at 02:13 AM.
hottytoddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:13 AM
SkullSplitter

But that's not guaranteed

Old
06-22-2008, 02:25 AM
66-29-33

So Pens lose Orpik, Hossa, and Malone? OUCH!

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:26 AM
Ringer*

Quote:

Just ask Ryan Malone.

Malone was low balled by Pittsburgh at least 2 times. Maybe if you didn't do that they would stay.

Ringer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 03:17 AM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Malone was low balled by Pittsburgh at least 2 times. Maybe if you didn't do that they would stay.
That's what happens. RS can't afford to be pleasing guys like Malone and Hossa all the time. That would cost him Evgeni Malkin, and ultimately his job at some point.

Old
06-22-2008, 03:43 AM
BCS

Quote:
The Sabres are spending $50 million; they've gotta get there somehow.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 03:59 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
As a Pens fan, work out deals with Ruutu and Orpik and let them in on this deal, snatch up Kotalik and welcome back Ruutu and Orpik on there quietly agreed contracts when fa time starts

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:12 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Sad news for a team when its fans are relying on some hope that a 19 year old will sign with them when he hits free agency.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Tim*

Send a message via AIM to Tim*
Quote:
Kane also wants to come back so don't be surprised to see him as a Sabre when he hits UFA status.
no he doesnt and that will never happen

Tim* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:31 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Sad news for a team when its fans are relying on some hope that a 19 year old will sign with them when he hits free agency.
the sabres are not hoping he does im sure every team in the league wishes they had a player like kane on there team but kane has said he would love to come here and play for his home town team. thats why it isnt so far fetched.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
It's not low-balling when you offer 3mil/yr. Any team that gives him more than that is more than welcome to him and the disappointment that will follow.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote