HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Hossa

Old
06-21-2008, 03:50 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Yep, that the most likely way it goes down. I think you'll agree it shouldn't stop us from trying to land him ourselves.
BTW, those numbers on that site are a bit misleading right now. Guys who need to be signed but are not yet are not included in the salary totals.
We have $30 million in cap space. For all I care we can make max offers to Hossa, Sundin and Campbell. Doesn't mean we get any of them.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 03:53 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
We have $30 million in cap space. For all I care we can make max offers to Hossa, Sundin and Campbell. Doesn't mean we get any of them.
Correct. We talking about two separate things. No, we probably won't get any of them. Yes, we should make the offers for Hossa and Campbell.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 04:33 PM
Prophecy

I think there is less chance of Howson offering a big contract to a guy than there is a big contract guy accepting an offer from us....

Call me a cynic...

Prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

For those asserting that Hossa doesn't fit into the team Columbus is building, I beg to differ. Over the course of his career he has developed defensively to the point where he is now an extremely responsible forward who also happens to put up great numbers.

Stej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 05:12 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

boy Hossa would be nice...it would definitely make me feel about 50 times more optimistic about the upcoming season than i am now

i need to stop dreaming though. we just need to realize who we are. Its the Columbus Blue Jackets. It just aint happenin'...we're just not that lucky

kidAcbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 05:14 PM
CBJSlash

I think it is more likely that we spend big on Campbell than Hossa, but I would be fine if we did.

Don't get too excited, this doesn't seem like it would be a good fit. Hossa wants to win more than anything.

Nash better be ready to sell.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 05:18 PM
errey21

Nash 5.4
Umberger 4.0
Hossa 9.5
Modin 3.25
Brassard 1.3
Zherdev 2.5
Chimera 1.875
Malhotra 1.2
Voracek 1.3
Murray .675
Novotny .750
Boll .750
Hejda 2.0
Cambell 7.0
Klesla 1.6
UFA
OKT .675
Russell .75
Leclaire 5.0
Norrena .85

That above team can be iced for 50 million.

Just get it done

errey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Offer Shero a pick in next year's draft or a player-to-be named-later (Brule/Fritsche) to talk to him for the next week, ask him to at least come to town and check it out. Pick/player comes off the table if he doesn't sign.

Hossa is an elite scoring forward but very defensively responsible. I don't think he's concerned about having to play hard at both ends.

I agree he's probably not coming here, probably because he'll get paid somewhere that's higher-profile.

Old
06-21-2008, 06:02 PM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by errey21 View Post
I buy this TBJF and agree with you for the most part, but him not taking the Penguins offer just screams of whoever puts up the most money.

Im not saying we will or even saying we should. But if he was all about winning and who he's playing with etc, hed just take the offer he has which is essentially 8 mill for 7 years. How much more does he think he will really get???? Doesnt 9 mill make him the highest paid player in the game???? So he wants an extra million a year or so and he is willing to leave Pitt to get it. Hell, if he goes to NY the cost of living probably makes a 9 mill offer less than Pitts.

I dont think we'll get him because I dont think we will be the highest bidder, but this guy is going to the highest bidder everything else be damned. And Im not knocking him for it either.
You're most-probably correct - I sure can't claim any inside info to the contrary. But assuming he gets multiple large offers, he may still weigh other factors if the top offers are close (and Hossa gets to define what is and isn't close.)

A Nash-Somebody-Hossa line sure would be fun to watch, tho ....

TBJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:54 PM
Brassard Calder

Not trying to be a downer, I'd love to have Hossa on this team. A couple of you have touched on it. Hossa has already said he wants to play on a team that can contend for the cup every year. Yeah, he turned down Pittsburgh's offer which makes it look like he's looking for the highest bidder. And he probably is with one exception. He's probably looking for the highest bidder among what he feels are the "cup contenders." I highly doubt he would ever come here. Still, I agree with everyone we should at least make an offer it can't hurt.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:14 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyFan45 View Post
Not trying to be a downer, I'd love to have Hossa on this team. A couple of you have touched on it. Hossa has already said he wants to play on a team that can contend for the cup every year. Yeah, he turned down Pittsburgh's offer which makes it look like he's looking for the highest bidder. And he probably is with one exception. He's probably looking for the highest bidder among what he feels are the "cup contenders." I highly doubt he would ever come here. Still, I agree with everyone we should at least make an offer it can't hurt.
If this is what Hossa really wants, he'll stay put.
I'd seriously question the man's values and intelligence if he leaves Pittsburgh merely for a little more money in NY or Montreal.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:44 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
If this is what Hossa really wants, he'll stay put.
I'd seriously question the man's values and intelligence if he leaves Pittsburgh merely for a little more money in NY or Montreal.
C'mon, both of those teams are solid competitors. Montreal has a young, deep team and they will be that much better if they sign Sundin. I wouldn't blame him in the least for going to them. If he goes to a team like Edmonton or LA, then I'd have to question him.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:41 PM
DJAnimosity
buy ticket;take ride

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
I'm just curious - for the people shooting down the idea of Hossa coming here, then who the hell are we going to offer contracts to? We have to spend $20 million, so if not on Hossa, then who? Martin Rucinsky?

This team has to spend money just to get to the salary floor, so I'm curious who we have permission to go after during the free agency period.

I can't see any player turning down $10 million/year, regardless of where they'd be playing.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Do these $20-million-to-reach-the-floor figures include the likely prices of signing our RFAs?

If not, then I think we may have little to no problem reaching the floor.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:50 PM
DJAnimosity
buy ticket;take ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Do these $20-million-to-reach-the-floor figures include the likely prices of signing our RFAs?

If not, then I think we may have little to no problem reaching the floor.
What RFAs do you see us spending large sums of money on? Leclaire is the only one who will get a substantial raise.

Old
06-21-2008, 10:51 PM
5StringBuzz

A while back, I thought there was a rumor that Hossa wanted to go to Detroit. Can they afford him?

Either way, a week ago, it was pretty much assumed to be a done deal that Hossa would sign with Pitt, and there was a zero chance anybody else would have a crack at him. Now it looks like he's on the market. I think our chances are lousy, but nonzero, and I like that better than zero.

By all means, GMSH, take a serious shot at him. What do we have to lose? Pride?

5StringBuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
What RFAs do you see us spending large sums of money on? Leclaire is the only one who will get a substantial raise.
Leclaire and Umberger. And Fritsche will probably get at least something like a raise.

Old
06-21-2008, 10:53 PM
DJAnimosity
buy ticket;take ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA28Flyer View Post
By all means, GMSH, take a serious shot at him. What do we have to lose? Pride?
Seriously. Some people here are acting like we shouldn't even bother. What would it hurt? I'm beginning to think a lot of people here never got laid in high school because they were scared to ask the pretty girls out.

Old
06-21-2008, 10:55 PM
DJAnimosity
buy ticket;take ride

Quote:
Leclaire and Umberger. And Fritsche will probably get at least something like a raise.
So that's where our $20 mill is going?

I can see it now - Leclaire the first $8 million goalie and Fritsche making more than Nash.

Old
06-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Byrral

Quote:
Seriously. Some people here are acting like we shouldn't even bother. What would it hurt? I'm beginning to think a lot of people here never got laid in high school because they were scared to ask the pretty girls out.
I'm with you DJ. Throw the moon at Hossa and a top d-man. All they can do is say no.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:

I can see it now - Leclaire the first $8 million goalie and Fritsche making more than Nash.
$20? No. Better than half of that? Probably - Leclaire at 5 or 6, Umberger at maybe 4, Fritsche at 1 or 1.5. (Note that these numbers are fresh out of my Sir-Mixalot-Would-Approve-Of-This-*** and thus could be different, but it's still a thought.)

I'm not saying OMFG WE HAS NO ROOM, just that "$20mil MINIMUM!" is a bit of an overstatement.

Old
06-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Casework

Quote:
$20? No. Better than half of that? Probably - Leclaire at 5 or 6, Umberger at maybe 4, Fritsche at 1 or 1.5. (Note that these numbers are fresh out of my Sir-Mixalot-Would-Approve-Of-This-*** and thus could be different, but it's still a thought.)

I'm not saying OMFG WE HAS NO ROOM, just that "$20mil MINIMUM!" is a bit of an overstatement.
What you're forgetting is that we may need to spend roughly $20 million simply to get to the cap floor(if the salary cap goes to $56). We currently have $22 million committed in salaries for the upcoming season.

Last edited by Casework: 06-22-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Wait a second, the cap floor is going to be 56? Wasn't it just 40?

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:38 PM
blahblah

Quote:

Oh the Jackets aren't going to have a hard time spending the 8-9 mil after the RFA's are signed to reach the cap floor. The problem will be spending it on the players you want.

Ultimately there are players our there that are available via trade, just not all of them are sexy. But maybe they could help our team out. I hope Howson finds another Hejda type in the UFA market to and can land one or two higher profile UFA's.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
What you're forgetting is that we may need to spend roughly $20 million simply to get to the cap floor(if it goes to $56). We currently have $22 million committed in salaries for the upcoming season.
I didn't think I was forgetting that at all...

I was just trying to suggest that throwing league max $11m contracts out there like free candy isn't exactly a fiscal requirement for us this offseason. We can get one before we go just above the cap floor, and one more before we start putting our ability to resign Zherdev in jeopardy (That said, I'm still hoping we ask - the odds of us actually offering multiple league max contracts, let alone getting them accepted, are pretty low... but it's still worth seeing if we can make a deal!)