HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Hossa

Old
06-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Casework

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Wait a second, the cap floor is going to be 56? Wasn't it just 40?
I meant the cap floor would be close to $40 if the salary cap raises to $56. With $22 currently committed, we'd have to spend at least $18 to reach that mark. Add another $5-10 if Howson is feeling frisky this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I didn't think I was forgetting that at all...

I was just trying to suggest that throwing league max $11m contracts out there like free candy isn't exactly a fiscal requirement for us this offseason. We can get one before we go just above the cap floor, and one more before we start putting our ability to resign Zherdev in jeopardy (That said, I'm still hoping we ask - the odds of us actually offering multiple league max contracts, let alone getting them accepted, are pretty low... but it's still worth seeing if we can make a deal!)
I understand that, but your response to a post saying we'd spend $20 million was that you'd expect just over half of that. I don't care where the money is coming from or going to, currently we HAVE to spend $14 million(I think that's the number). If the cap goes up 4 million, we'll need to at least match the % of the cap floor rising as well.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Seriously. Some people here are acting like we shouldn't even bother. What would it hurt? I'm beginning to think a lot of people here never got laid in high school because they were scared to ask the pretty girls out.
I'm sure if you asked for a show of hands only one or two crazy--or depressed--people would actually say, "Don't bother even asking! He won't sign with us!"

I'm fully in the group that doesn't see Hossa signing here. I'd imagine he would take less to go somewhere that has a better chance of winning than the Jackets do, and I'm not even one of those poor souls who puts himself on the cross whenever a player slips through the Jackets' fingers.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Imjustabill

Yeah, chances are Hossa won't even give Howson the time of day, but I'd like to see Scotty give it the old college try.

That said, it could be argued that it would be best for Howson to pursue two lesser-tier UFAs (Malone and Rozsival?) than just one big one like Hossa.

Imjustabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:32 AM
EDM

I think our roster could actually wind up looking even more frightening than it is now. I don't think a single legit difference maker UFA would have any interest in playing here. So we will be spending money, big money, for the sake of spending money on B level UFA's which could wing up leaving us with seriously bloated over priced contracts for not very good players.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 09:17 AM
BluejacketNut

I have zero belief he will come here, but demand an offer be made. DJ, im more afraid that SH is that high school kid you speak of. Im starting to question his creativity, or lack there of. Shortly, he will become gun shy from the rejections and then will probably just stop trying and only go for 3rd liners to play on the top 2 lines, which we thought was DM's trait,only to find out its the trait of a red headed step child franchise and not DM.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
I have zero belief he will come here, but demand an offer be made. DJ, im more afraid that SH is that high school kid you speak of. Im starting to question his creativity, or lack there of. Shortly, he will become gun shy from the rejections and then will probably just stop trying and only go for 3rd liners to play on the top 2 lines, which we thought was DM's trait,only to find out its the trait of a red headed step child franchise and not DM.
Talk about pessimism yikes! I don't see that happening at all. Sure, it might take a few years until were respectable to the rest of the NHL and media until big name free agents will come here. But, if Howson fears rejection and stops trying for upper tier players he shouldn't be a general manager in the first place.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 09:38 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
man, i dont know what to say.

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 09:39 AM
BluejacketNut

Big name FA's wont start coming here till we start winning....catch 22 when youre a conservative franchise.

Old
06-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Big name FA's wont start coming here till we start winning....catch 22 when youre a conservative franchise.
Then what do you suppose Howson should do? If they won't come here till we start winning, what's the difference between being a "conservative franchise" or not? We haven't won yet, so this summer would be lost for acquiring anyone under your theory anyway.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 09:58 AM
BluejacketNut

Well thats why the draft was so important, so we could try and acquire resources by trade to attract some of the UFA's, those are what help you start winning. Yes we got RJ, but SH was the desperate one and got owned in the trade, not the team that was cap strapped at that position, we should not have had to overpay, with them just signing Carter, we were the ones dealing from a position of strength...or one would think. Im still waiting to be wow'd by Mr Howson.

The draft was our chance to make the car look shiny to try and pick up some sexy UFAs come July, we got a new air freshener, but the interior is still pretty crappy I just hope SH realizes how much he is going to have to overpay to get someone here.

Old
06-22-2008, 09:59 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

A sad realism is creeping in that eventually we'll have to say "**** you free agents, we do this ourselves." That maybe we need to take this franchise right to the brink of disaster and win the Tavares sweepstakes like the Penguins did in 1983 to get Mario Lemeiux. Man, I hate that idea!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 10:09 AM
BluejacketNut

Problem is, we still having won a lottery pick

Old
06-22-2008, 11:35 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:
Thats not true at all

Maybe 4 years ago when we were still an expansion franchise... but there's been a large trend of players saying really positive things about what it's like playing in Columbus.

The town and franchise you play for also has an impact on your preference. Reason why Chris Pronger peaced out from Edmonton.

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:19 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
$20? No. Better than half of that? Probably - Leclaire at 5 or 6, Umberger at maybe 4, Fritsche at 1 or 1.5. (Note that these numbers are fresh out of my Sir-Mixalot-Would-Approve-Of-This-*** and thus could be different, but it's still a thought.)

I'm not saying OMFG WE HAS NO ROOM, just that "$20mil MINIMUM!" is a bit of an overstatement.
Who cares? The goal shouldn't be to be as close to floor as possible because then we'll be in this exact same position next off-season. Being at the floor can lead to signing stupid contracts for mid-level talent. I'd rather offer top dollar to top-level talent.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:36 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
I meant the cap floor would be close to $40 if the salary cap raises to $56. With $22 currently committed, we'd have to spend at least $18 to reach that mark. Add another $5-10 if Howson is feeling frisky this summer.
AHHHH okay I was gonna say...

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Who cares? The goal shouldn't be to be as close to floor as possible because then we'll be in this exact same position next off-season. Being at the floor can lead to signing stupid contracts for mid-level talent. I'd rather offer top dollar to top-level talent.
I think we can all agree to that to an extent. Howson just doesn't want to handcuff us in 3 years. That's the only snag.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Pluckfur

Isn't brother Marcel a 'Yote? Maybe the Hossas have visions of being the next Niedermayers.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:27 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Isn't brother Marcel a 'Yote? Maybe the Hossas have visions of being the next Niedermayers.
yea, but i dont know if he will be for that long. here are his point totals the last 3 years. not pretty for a lw.

16pts
18pts
8pts

RDriesenUD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 04:53 PM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Yeup -- Short-term contracts will do us wonders

There's no sense in locking us up longterm to some guys who may not compare to the wealth of talent available in the offseason next year or the year after.

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:15 PM
FlaggerX

Well Howson can certainly try and land Hossa, who would bring scoring and draw a lot of attention.

But I think this may put Malone back in Pittsburgh's sights, as without Hossa they have money left for other people like Malone. Of course some of Malone's statements indicate he may be disgruntled there, but the biggest reason to shop him was money to pay Hossa.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesen16 View Post
yea, but i dont know if he will be for that long. here are his point totals the last 3 years. not pretty for a lw.

16pts
18pts
8pts
He'd be worth the investment if it meant landing the good Hossa. I don't know ... maybe (as being discussed in the FA thread as per Campbell) these guys want to (and will eventually) sign with the Pens and the Sharks respectively ... but the fact that they've both been released to talk with other teams just seems a bit odd. I'm just messing around looking for possible motivations.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 11:19 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
C'mon, both of those teams are solid competitors. Montreal has a young, deep team and they will be that much better if they sign Sundin. I wouldn't blame him in the least for going to them. If he goes to a team like Edmonton or LA, then I'd have to question him.
It's a no brainer Capn, Pittsburgh is Cup-Ready now.
If Malkin had played HALF like he didn't have his head up his ***, they would have beat the Wangs.

Montreal and NY MIGHT make it past the first round next year.
For the same reasons...I don't see him coming here either, for that matter.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 08:12 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
It's a no brainer Capn, Pittsburgh is Cup-Ready now.
If Malkin had played HALF like he didn't have his head up his ***, they would have beat the Wangs.

Montreal and NY MIGHT make it past the first round next year.
For the same reasons...I don't see him coming here either, for that matter.
Outside of Crosby and Malkin, the Pens are about to have some major turnover. Malone is gone. Gary Roberts, gone. Laraque, likely gone. Orpik, possibly gone. That team is going to be drastically different and if there's one thing people should have learned by now its that there are no guarantees in hockey. For all we know, Crosby gets injured and has another off-season and the team they've put together doesn't gel as well as the one they had before.

Montreal is absolutely building to win a Cup next season. And they just might do it. Boston is another team that could be very interesting next year--they are a young team and if Bergeron is healthy, and they upgrade their offense with Hossa, suddenly the look more like a contender.

The Pens are just one year removed from being the team that got crushed by Ottawa in the first round. Things change quickly in this league.

The choice between the Pens and the Bruins, Rangers or Habs isn't as easy as you assume. But choosing between some of the most storied franchises in the NHL and a team that has never made the playoffs...that's a no brainer.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Casework

I really don't get the Dispatch blog lately.

Did they really just compare acquiring Marian Hossa and Brian Campbell to Sergei Fedorov and Adam Foote?

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Skraut

I'm not interested in Hossa, not one bit. There I said it.

1) He's gonna cost too much. Yeah we need to spend to get to the Cap floor, but I'd rather not lock up an insanely large total into one Winger. We have somebody named Nash that will need to be re-upped soon. Another guy named Zherdev, and how long before we're looking at the same Situation as Pittsburgh when our "Young Guns" start wanting bigtime salaries.

2) Our need is at center and defense. Hossa doesn't solve either. We've got wingers such as Lindstrom who are going to go back to Europe, because there's no place on the wings for them. Why would we want to add more.

Too expensive, doesn't fill a need. He's like buying a hummer, when you already have a half a dozen Priii in the garage because it's cool, and then you're left *****ing because the price of gas keeps going up.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote