HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hossa

Old
06-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Casework

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I'm not interested in Hossa, not one bit. There I said it.
But here's the thinking, as to why so many got on the Hossa train, especially when we saw we wouldn't be getting Marleau or the like.

What would you rather have?

Nash-Umberger-Modin or Nash-Umberger-Hossa?

I think the idea is that, if we can at least make the wings as strong as possible, it can slightly cover up our lack of centers.

Nash-Hossa
Modin-Zherdev
Chimera-Voracek
Murray-Boll

Really solid group of wings, especially considering down the middle, you're looking at Umberger, Brassard, Malhotra, Novotny.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:11 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I'm not interested in Hossa, not one bit. There I said it.

1) He's gonna cost too much. Yeah we need to spend to get to the Cap floor, but I'd rather not lock up an insanely large total into one Winger. We have somebody named Nash that will need to be re-upped soon. Another guy named Zherdev, and how long before we're looking at the same Situation as Pittsburgh when our "Young Guns" start wanting bigtime salaries.

2) Our need is at center and defense. Hossa doesn't solve either. We've got wingers such as Lindstrom who are going to go back to Europe, because there's no place on the wings for them. Why would we want to add more.

Too expensive, doesn't fill a need. He's like buying a hummer, when you already have a half a dozen Priii in the garage because it's cool, and then you're left *****ing because the price of gas keeps going up.
You know what, I agree. I'd rather bring in 2 solid D men for the same price.

I am not afraid of this line up:

Nash-Brassard-Modin
UFA(4mil)-Umberger-Zher
Chimera-Malh-Fritsche
Murray-Peca-Boll

*Voracek is still a wild card.

If it means spending 10 million on a pair of defensemen to round out these pairings:

Hedjda-UFA
UFA-Klesla
Russel-Methot

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 10:56 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Outside of Crosby and Malkin, the Pens are about to have some major turnover. Malone is gone. Gary Roberts, gone. Laraque, likely gone. Orpik, possibly gone. That team is going to be drastically different and if there's one thing people should have learned by now its that there are no guarantees in hockey. For all we know, Crosby gets injured and has another off-season and the team they've put together doesn't gel as well as the one they had before.

Montreal is absolutely building to win a Cup next season. And they just might do it. Boston is another team that could be very interesting next year--they are a young team and if Bergeron is healthy, and they upgrade their offense with Hossa, suddenly the look more like a contender.

The Pens are just one year removed from being the team that got crushed by Ottawa in the first round. Things change quickly in this league.

The choice between the Pens and the Bruins, Rangers or Habs isn't as easy as you assume. But choosing between some of the most storied franchises in the NHL and a team that has never made the playoffs...that's a no brainer.
Laraque, Roberts, and Orpik are replaceable. Crosby, Malkin and Fleury are a foundation ANY roster in this league could make a Cup run with.

I hope Montreal improves, if only to make Leaf fans feel that much worse. I will never root for a team from NY, so don't even try. Boston was my first favorite team, and a good bet because that city's on a streak.

Hossa is going to make any good team that much better. I'm not feeling Skraut on this one. Either Malone or Hossa would make us much better.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:04 AM
forktie

I just want to throw this out there, and pardon me if it was already mentioned, but I think when you look at cost and talent and everything, you can't ask for more from a player than Hossa I don't think.

The guy is probably the most consistent player in the NHL based on a few criteria.

1. The guy never scores under 60 points
2. The guy only has 2 seasons out of 10 with a negative +/-
3. This is the big one.... He never plays less than 70 games a season, always healthy.

In my mind, he should get whatever he asks for. Maybe not necessarily from us, but from someone.

forktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:36 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by forktie View Post
I just want to throw this out there, and pardon me if it was already mentioned, but I think when you look at cost and talent and everything, you can't ask for more from a player than Hossa I don't think.

The guy is probably the most consistent player in the NHL based on a few criteria.

3. This is the big one.... He never plays less than 70 games a season, always healthy.

In my mind, he should get whatever he asks for. Maybe not necessarily from us, but from someone.
We should go after this guy and pay what it takes to get him. But we won't ! No-Balls Howson will come up with some excuse as to why we "couldn't" lure him here. He'll end up on a team who is serious about making a playoff run.

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:43 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
We should go after this guy and pay what it takes to get him. But we won't ! No-Balls Howson will come up with some excuse as to why we "couldn't" lure him here. He'll end up on a team who is serious about making a playoff run.
You get that feeling too?
The groundwork may have already been laid in Puckrakers yesterday with the suggestion that we can become a contender by signing a bunch of $3 million dollar men, rather than break-through players like Hossa. I don't want to pin all hope on one player, but SURELY SOMEBODY of importance can be 'lured' here.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:26 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
You get that feeling too?
The groundwork may have already been laid in Puckrakers yesterday with the suggestion that we can become a contender by signing a bunch of $3 million dollar men, rather than break-through players like Hossa. I don't want to pin all hope on one player, but SURELY SOMEBODY of importance can be 'lured' here.
Howson seems to have no qualms about going after a real risky player in Filatov that he doesn't have to pay immediately....

How about this?? Put all the NHL players into a big room, void all current contracts and have a Fantasy draft!!

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Howson seems to have no qualms about going after a real risky player in Filatov that he doesn't have to pay immediately....

How about this?? Put all the NHL players into a big room, void all current contracts and have a Fantasy draft!!
That's too HF.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:46 AM
PerfectTommy

The Blackhawks and Bruins are prepared to offer Hossa $8 - 9 million.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...302/1128/rss16

Plus the Rangers may weigh in. Anyone want to get involved in that bidding war? Willing to put $9 million toward Hossa when a couple of centers and puck-moving d-men are still needed?

PerfectTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTommy View Post

Plus the Rangers may weigh in. Anyone want to get involved in that bidding war? Willing to put $9 million toward Hossa when a couple of centers and puck-moving d-men are still needed?
I just hope he doesn't end up with the Blackhawks. Chicago is also rumored to pursue Campbell July 1st.

I don't see Hossa signing here anyway, but I wouldn't want to go higher than $9 million for one player when we have so many holes to fill. I know not everyone will agree with me, and that's fine, but if we can spend that $9 million on two solid puck movers, and then spend money to get a couple good forwards that are upgrades over what we currently have, re-up Pazzy and RJ obviously, then I'll consider the offseason a success.

I just can't see Howson spending the $10 or $11 million per season it will take to get Hossa. Nor do I think he should.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:47 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:

Yeah, lets continue to watch Chicago get better than us. It'll also be fun watching Steve Montador take hooking penalties trying to slow Hossa, Kane, Toews, et al down. Let me call my ticket rep right now.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Yeah, lets continue to watch Chicago get better than us. It'll also be fun watching Steve Montador take hooking penalties trying to slow Hossa, Kane, Toews, et al down. Let me call my ticket rep right now.
What games will you be watching? I haven't heard Montador's name linked with Columbus at all aside from a couple posters on here. I highly doubt we add him, and if we do, well you'll be right because Montador stinks.

Old
06-24-2008, 11:56 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyFan45 View Post
What games will you be watching? I haven't heard Montador's name linked with Columbus at all aside from a couple posters on here. I highly doubt we add him, and if we do, well you'll be right because Montador stinks.
I don't think Montador will be a Jacket, but just the mere thought of him makes my stomach turn, and he would be in our price range. Seriously, you're not completely scared ****less of the idea of Chicago adding Hossa??

Old
06-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
I don't think Montador will be a Jacket, but just the mere thought of him makes my stomach turn, and he would be in our price range. Seriously, you're not completely scared ****less of the idea of Chicago adding Hossa??
Well thinking of Montador would make me want to vomit too. Luckily, I don't think we have to worry about that.

And a lot of players are in our price range...we have at least $20 million to spend. Don't worry about Steve freaking Montador. Howson is smart enough not to add him.

Yeah I'd be worried about Chicago adding Hossa. I previously said about four posts up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyFan45 View Post
I just hope he doesn't end up with the Blackhawks. Chicago is also rumored to pursue Campbell July 1st.

Old
06-24-2008, 12:03 PM
cbj21

Quote:

I don't see him worth that, don't even like him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
It's not how big your balls is that matters ..

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:37 PM
GScott

Quote:

Yes. Because after spending $12-$15 million on career 3rd and 4th liners this year the team will still be short a top line center and 1st line defencemen at this point next year. At least with Hossa we get some scoring which this team deperately needs.

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:50 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
If the Hawks get Hossa and Campbell with less cap space than we have, I'm going to be ill.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:57 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
Yes. Because after spending $12-$15 million on career 3rd and 4th liners this year the team will still be short a top line center and 1st line defencemen at this point next year. At least with Hossa we get some scoring which this team deperately needs.
Not to mention scoring, but consistency. And on a team not much better than the Jackets.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 01:05 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
If the Hawks get Hossa and Campbell with less cap space than we have, I'm going to be ill.
Me too. People need to realize that free agency is not just about improving your OWN team, but getting better than the OTHER guy, too.

Old
06-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post

It's not how big your balls is that matters ..
You're right, its whether you have any at all!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 06:43 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
They should do that in NHL09.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Me too. People need to realize that free agency is not just about improving your OWN team, but getting better than the OTHER guy, too.

That's where we've went wrong....

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 07:07 AM
forktie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
I don't see him worth that, don't even like him...
Again...

3. Performed well in the playoffs
4. This is the big one.... He never plays less than 70 games a season, always healthy.

What is not to like? If this was YOUR resume, what would you ask for?

forktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:06 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Shall we start this conversation again?

Hossa doesn't have much of a choice here - he wants to go to a Cup contender, but most Cup contenders don't have the cap space for him. If he wants a big payday, he'll have to sign with a lesser team. Here's where we come in.

I guess the question is, would you sacrifice getting one of our coveted d-men, in order to throw the moon at Hossa?

Say, Morrison, Rozsival, and Hossa.....as opposed to, Redden, Morrison, Rozsival, and Vrbata?

Old
06-30-2008, 09:09 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
I guess the question is, would you sacrifice getting one of our coveted d-men, in order to throw the moon at Hossa?

Say, Morrison, Rozsival, and Hossa.....as opposed to, Redden, Morrison, Rozsival, and Vrbata?
Yes. I would.

Then sign Hainsey and make camp.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote