HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holland: we like Howard's "potential"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2010, 05:28 PM
  #176
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Holland may be thinking towards the post-Lidstrom world and how the goalie needs will likely change then.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 05:51 PM
  #177
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Promiseland Walhalla
Posts: 3,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Holland may be thinking towards the post-Lidstrom world and how the goalie needs will likely change then.
This right now we can afford "bargain" goalies because of big Nick but what will happen the day he retires (I know some will cry) but its meaned rosterwise.

I'd go with Lundquist

ps: ****ing get rid of the cap system I want to see dynasty teams again.


Last edited by Eaglepride*: 04-07-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 06:04 PM
  #178
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,825
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
What do you think Osgood's career record would be like if he spent his career in LA, Florida and Phoenix?
I hate playing "what if" with players. Would his career have been different? Of course, but so would the franchises he was a part of. But he was in Detroit. And because of that he had opportunities to develop in a way that goalies in other organizations haven't and those opportunities happen to have played a role in making him a very attractive, cheap option for goal.

Perhaps it's unfair to downgrade someone like Conklin for not having been put through the pressure cooker of being a #1 goalie and making several long playoff runs. But it's also something that not all goalies handle well. We've seen it with Legace when he put up monster regular season numbers for us only to have went belly-up in the playoffs.

So, back to Howard. IF he does well in the playoffs this season and IF he plays well for the first half of next season AND considering what the UFA crop of goalies look like next summer, are there any realistic options for letting Howard walk and replacing him with someone else? I don't think there is. I don't see the top vets being any more affordable nor do I see any lower end guys who have done anything to lead me to believe they could take the starter job and run with it. Of course, if Howard flops in the playoffs or next season, it opens up a new can of worms any way (going back to Sarcastro's point of this talk being a bit premature).

__________________
blah, blah, blah
Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 06:18 PM
  #179
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??
 
Redwingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Norway
Posts: 19,076
vCash: 500
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleproud View Post
This right now we can afford "bargain" goalies because of big Nick but what will happen the day he retires (I know some will cry) but its meaned rosterwise.

I'd go with Lundquist

ps: ****ing get rid of the cap system I want to see dynasty teams again.
Easier said than done.. He's signed for the next 4 seasons and there's no way the Rangers are trading him..

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:56 AM
  #180
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
We went cheap on a goalie with a very good resume and a history of playing well for us. A guy who will probably generate arguments for the HoF because of the numbers he has collected over his career and the cups he's won. Maybe I'm alone in this but I view that situation slightly different from signing a guy like Ty Conklin whose track record is less stellar.
CB has a completely unrealistic and skewed view on this subject. While I definitely don't hold Ozzie in the highest regard, I readily admit that it flies in the face of reason to compare him to garbage like Conklin and Legace. Legace cracks under pressure, and until last season Conklin was a 30 year old who had never established himself as an NHL regular - he was a AAAA level goalie that bounced around a ton, with several teams giving up on him. In short, we picked him up off the scrap heap. He was better than Ozzie last season, but that doesn't make him good.

Ozzie was never an elite goalie, and I don't consider him to be HoF worthy (much like Moog and Vernon who aren't in). That said, Osgood was a solid, not spectacular, NHL starter for 10+ seasons. So winning a pair of Cups with him in net doesn't mean we could have necessarily won with clearly inferior players like Legace and Conklin.

CB is also failing to acknowledge that Ozzie wasn't always a cheap option. He was waived at the start of the 2001-02 season, in fact, because his salary made him unattractive in trade.

There's really no getting around it. In the next couple of seasons, we WILL be paying some goalie 3M or 4M or maybe even more per season. Will it be Howard? Will it be some other goalie? Time will tell. Holland has to start penciling it into his budget, though. Lidstrom nearing the end of his run mandates it.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
  #181
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Promiseland Walhalla
Posts: 3,503
vCash: 500
Definately theres just no way around it. You can't replace Lidstrom its not gonna happen so we need an elite goalie or at least close to elite goalie.

I know the Rangers won't trade Lundquist but IF they miss the playoffs maybe hel'll ask for a trade?

I never ever understood why didn't try to land the Jonas the Monster Gustavsson. Monster/Howard next season would've been dynamite for us.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 06:44 PM
  #182
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I hate playing "what if" with players. Would his career have been different? Of course, but so would the franchises he was a part of. But he was in Detroit. And because of that he had opportunities to develop in a way that goalies in other organizations haven't and those opportunities happen to have played a role in making him a very attractive, cheap option for goal.

Perhaps it's unfair to downgrade someone like Conklin for not having been put through the pressure cooker of being a #1 goalie and making several long playoff runs. But it's also something that not all goalies handle well. We've seen it with Legace when he put up monster regular season numbers for us only to have went belly-up in the playoffs.

So, back to Howard. IF he does well in the playoffs this season and IF he plays well for the first half of next season AND considering what the UFA crop of goalies look like next summer, are there any realistic options for letting Howard walk and replacing him with someone else? I don't think there is. I don't see the top vets being any more affordable nor do I see any lower end guys who have done anything to lead me to believe they could take the starter job and run with it. Of course, if Howard flops in the playoffs or next season, it opens up a new can of worms any way (going back to Sarcastro's point of this talk being a bit premature).
This entire discussion is based on what ifs/
How does one compare goalies on vastly different teams without some what-if-ism?

And FYI, for the most part, when I compare Ozzie to Conkin, or Legace, I am comparing the Ozzie we know from 2001 and 2007-10, which obviously isn't the same goalie as the Ozzie of the mid and late 90s.

As for Howard, I'd not let him "walk."
I'd trade him.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.