HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Dmitri Kugryshev a steal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-26-2008, 06:39 PM
  #76
FeedDaPuck
Registered User
 
FeedDaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Everywhere
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
He nailed it. Kugryshev to the Remparts.
Darn me... I should have played the lottery!

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 07:40 PM
  #77
KenAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
I wish Kugryshev had gone to an OHL team instead. The OHL seems to produce much better forwards. Oh well.

In any case, he is now listed on the Quebec Remparts roster. It looks like he will be the only Russian on the team, unless Mikhail Stefanovich (Toronto's #98 pick) can speak the language.

For those of us not familiar with the Quebec Remparts, what sort of system do they use?

KenAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 08:01 PM
  #78
backs4mvp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burlington, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAF View Post
I wish Kugryshev had gone to an OHL team instead. The OHL seems to produce much better forwards. Oh well.

In any case, he is now listed on the Quebec Remparts roster. It looks like he will be the only Russian on the team, unless Mikhail Stefanovich (Toronto's #98 pick) can speak the language.

For those of us not familiar with the Quebec Remparts, what sort of system do they use?
Apparently a "rag on the less-skilled hardworkers and praise the kids who get by on pure talent" system from what I've read/heard.

backs4mvp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 08:10 PM
  #79
PSUhockey34
Registered User
 
PSUhockey34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 5,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
Apparently a "rag on the less-skilled hardworkers and praise the kids who get by on pure talent" system from what I've read/heard.
finally a system that works

__________________
I don't want to leave the crowd, I just need some air
PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 12:10 PM
  #80
rad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 71
vCash: 500
I don't think the Q is a bad league. Within the CHL, traditionally the WHL has the reputation of playing the strongest defensive systems, then probably the OHL and then the Q. Just because the OHL had a great class this draft doesn't necessarily mean they're the best league. The coaching and the teammates all make a difference in development, but sometimes people come out of crappy situations through hard work and perseverance. Hockey is hockey, if DK comes over and plays with confidence and makes things happen he will be fine no matter where he plays.

The Q might be better than Russia because of the rink size and physicality of the NA game, unless he could make a RSL team.

At least Roy has had some time to coach already so hopefully he learned something. Whether the Q or Hershey would be better would depend on where he is and they should get an idea of that at camp. It would be better to get games in the Q or even the ECHL than sit in Hershey.

Anyway, good luck, dude. Learn some French and they will love you up there.

rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 09:58 PM
  #81
CapGoodie
Registered User
 
CapGoodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Scotland
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
I don't think the Q is a bad league. Within the CHL, traditionally the WHL has the reputation of playing the strongest defensive systems, then probably the OHL and then the Q. Just because the OHL had a great class this draft doesn't necessarily mean they're the best league.
I've probably said it here before, but it's almost always misleading to judge the 3 CHL leagues on the best players. The difference in those leagues rests in the vast majority of players you will never hear of and will never play in the NHL. The best 5 or 6 players on any given team is comparable (and by and large equal) in all three leagues in any given year. The difference is the rest of the rosters, over the past 5 years those no-name players that fill the rest of the league have been noticably strongest in the WHL IMO but you'll never hear of the hundreds of players that made it that way.

Last year the depth and top end talent was better on the OHL than it's been in years. The 'Q's depth players are without a doubt a full level below the other two leagues - a big part of what makes that league a field day for their top players as they eat it up against the bulk of the other teams roster. It honestly wasn't very strong for the OHL the past 5 or so years either and it allowed some inflated scoring for top end talent there too. The WHL just became a much better league than the other two from lines #2 through #4 and from d-man #2 through #6 - makes for a much more challenging league. Everyone can play defense, everyone has decent talent etc. That's the logic that makes NHL scouts etc refer to it as the most NHL-like development league because there really are no bad hockey players in the WHL. There are still bad players filling out the rosters in the OHL, and every team in the 'Q (save for the cream of the crop) ices a line of players that would have no business playing in either the OHL/WHL.

Back on topic - I'm glad DK is coming over to North America. If he has the offensive ability as advertised he'll tear it up in the 'Q. I'd rather it not be under Patrick Roy but it's better than wondering if he'll ever cross the ocean I suppose.


Last edited by CapGoodie: 06-27-2008 at 10:04 PM.
CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 04:38 AM
  #82
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 4,343
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Why are you guys all sure that he's coming overseas?

__________________
Алексей Черепанов навсегда в наших сердцах
Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 04:56 AM
  #83
Safir*
 
Safir*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Turkmenistan
Posts: 13,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
The only difference is that in 7 WorldJunior games Filatov had 9 points, and Kugryshev had 3 points. The only reason why Filatov was rated so much was because he succeeded more in International tournaments.

I to think Kugryshev will be a steal.
Kugryshev played in a checking role and that's why he didn't registered more points. DK didn't look out of place in his new role.

Everything I read about this guy points towards a future in Europe (Russia) and not in North America. I was a bit surprised to see Capitals using a high pick on a such a risky player. In terms of pure player value Kugryshev is a steal, but not in the overall (money, contract) sense.


Last edited by Safir*: 06-28-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2008, 03:03 PM
  #84
backs4mvp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burlington, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
Why are you guys all sure that he's coming overseas?
On a gut feeling, I'm gonna trust FeedDaPuck.

I wouldn't be surprised if he said something in his interview with the caps(and caps only), that he'd be coming over to NA if they drafted him... why else would they draft him so high... just my opinion.

Also, I doubt he would of been drafted 18th in the CHL import draft if he was unlikely to be coming over.


Last edited by backs4mvp: 06-28-2008 at 03:14 PM.
backs4mvp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 06:19 PM
  #85
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,081
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGoodie View Post
He could also teach DK how to be the laziest player in the 'Q while being one of the most talented at the same time. One of my major beefs with Roy is that Stefanovitch will play a half-ass shift and get no flak then some 4rth liner working his but off makes a small mistake and gets chewed out for it in front of the entire arena. Roy just rubs me the wrong way as a coach in more ways than I can count. I really don't think any of his players have been better off for the experience outside of the benifit of ice-time and playing in a decent league. I wouldn't attribute any personal or team success in Quebec to Roy. (Outside of what his name is able to do in bringing in talent).

Stefanovitch would have been selected much higher Friday night if he displayed better work habits/attitude. The guy was top 10 talent....and I wouldn't have drafted him period with the way he mailed it in at times.

There are some truely fantastic, near brilliant coaches in the 'Q right now - Roy is not one of them IMO.
Look what he did for Radulov. Completely molded this player into what he is today a: budding star.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:21 PM
  #86
dbui72
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
Radulov had high skill before he was drafted, though highly inconsistent.

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:13 PM
  #87
bottleCAPS
Registered User
 
bottleCAPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,493
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
if Kugryshev can delevop into a Alexander Radulov i would be more than happy.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 10:19 PM
  #88
PSUhockey34
Registered User
 
PSUhockey34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 5,042
vCash: 500
talk about hype

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:31 AM
  #89
The Viking Fury
Registered User
 
The Viking Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhockey34 View Post
talk about hype
Hey, hey! We've got the next Pavel Bure here.

I'm just pumped to be able to have more access to him playing in North America versus playing in Russia. By "access" I mean fan reports, updates from newspapers, game reports and such. I mean, look at how much coverage we got on Dovgan last season.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 09:29 PM
  #90
FeedDaPuck
Registered User
 
FeedDaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Everywhere
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
Why are you guys all sure that he's coming overseas?
Sasha - PM me - I'll try to explain it to you!

BTW- the trust that I have gotten on your board - unparalleled - may be only the Rangers... And I am a Flyers fan! Thank you...

NOW - In one of the threads it was questioned why Dmitri is not in the roster for the prospects camp. I wondered the same.... He will NOT be practicing - he is there to rehab his collarbone... BUT - he IS there... Starting the 5th... Enjoy - he IS better than Semin...

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:12 PM
  #91
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
Sasha - PM me - I'll try to explain it to you!

BTW- the trust that I have gotten on your board - unparalleled - may be only the Rangers... And I am a Flyers fan! Thank you...

NOW - In one of the threads it was questioned why Dmitri is not in the roster for the prospects camp. I wondered the same.... He will NOT be practicing - he is there to rehab his collarbone... BUT - he IS there... Starting the 5th... Enjoy - he IS better than Semin...
So he'll be in Washington for rehab and to acclimate himself to the organization?

That'd be a great sign.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:16 PM
  #92
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 28,914
vCash: 500
When they brought Varlamov over last year...he left with a 3 year entry level deal.

Just saying.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:21 PM
  #93
FeedDaPuck
Registered User
 
FeedDaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Everywhere
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
When they brought Varlamov over last year...he left with a 3 year entry level deal.

Just saying.
Not Dmitri related - BUT - where do you see Varlamov with Huet gone? (Sorry, OP!)... Theodore is a band-aid, I hope you guys realize it (For more info see Beezer and Burke experience in Philly)... I am partial to Semen, after seeing him play... I think he can start warming up the bench on opening night and become a full-time starter by December...

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:22 PM
  #94
FeedDaPuck
Registered User
 
FeedDaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Everywhere
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
So he'll be in Washington for rehab and to acclimate himself to the organization?

That'd be a great sign.
Rehab - that's what the "rumor" has... PLEASE - someone - validate the rumor!

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:30 PM
  #95
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
Not Dmitri related - BUT - where do you see Varlamov with Huet gone? (Sorry, OP!)... Theodore is a band-aid, I hope you guys realize it (For more info see Beezer and Burke experience in Philly)... I am partial to Semen, after seeing him play... I think he can start warming up the bench on opening night and become a full-time starter by December...
He'll get a year in the AHL, and he'll probably have to fight Machesney and Neuvirth for the backup job next season after Johnson is gone although he may be the frontrunner. An amazing training camp could possibly change things, but this organization has seen enough good goaltending prospects bust to rush Varlamov when the goaltending now is solid.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:33 PM
  #96
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 28,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
Not Dmitri related - BUT - where do you see Varlamov with Huet gone? (Sorry, OP!)... Theodore is a band-aid, I hope you guys realize it (For more info see Beezer and Burke experience in Philly)... I am partial to Semen, after seeing him play... I think he can start warming up the bench on opening night and become a full-time starter by December...
He'll likely be the number 2 in Hershey this season (or number 1 if he wins the job in Camp from Machnesey). Then next season he could be the back up to Jose.

Neuvirth, of course, has a role in all this as well. He could spoil Varlamov's plans if he out plays him.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:40 PM
  #97
FeedDaPuck
Registered User
 
FeedDaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Everywhere
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
He'll likely be the number 2 in Hershey this season (or number 1 if he wins the job in Camp from Machnesey). Then next season he could be the back up to Jose.

Neuvirth, of course, has a role in all this as well. He could spoil Varlamov's plans if he out plays him.
Again, I am partial to Varlamov... but.. IF he does not make the roster from the opening day - there is absolutely no way he is NOT number one in Hershey (Caps have to pry him away - and money will not entice him to AHL - but at least playing time in NA might)... Neuvirth - 2nd round, Semen - 1st... either way - by year's end - Varlamov - overtakes him... On the other hand - I think he is ready to be a No.1 in the NHL. That said, a year in the AHL can ONLY help him, and make him a Vezina caliber guy instead of an average No.1.....

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:46 PM
  #98
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
Again, I am partial to Varlamov... but.. IF he does not make the roster from the opening day - there is absolutely no way he is NOT number one in Hershey (Caps have to pry him away - and money will not entice him to AHL - but at least playing time in NA might)... Neuvirth - 2nd round, Semen - 1st... either way - by year's end - Varlamov - overtakes him... On the other hand - I think he is ready to be a No.1 in the NHL. That said, a year in the AHL can ONLY help him, and make him a Vezina caliber guy instead of an average No.1.....
Whether Varlamov beats out Neuvirth will depend on how much he's refined his game. Neuvirth is one of the most funamentally sound prospects out there, he was miles ahead of Varlamov last year (although I know Varlamov has made huge leaps), and Machesney is already way ahead of them both in the experience department. Varlamov's success in a high level league will serve him well though.

And draft position doesn't mean anything. Brandon Snee was drafted 2 rounds ahead of Henrik Lundqvist (and Brent Krahn was 6 rounds ahead, although a different team). It all comes down to what they actually do in camp.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:51 PM
  #99
FeedDaPuck
Registered User
 
FeedDaPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Everywhere
Country: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Whether Varlamov beats out Neuvirth will depend on how much he's refined his game. Neuvirth is one of the most funamentally sound prospects out there, he was miles ahead of Varlamov last year (although I know Varlamov has made huge leaps), and Machesney is already way ahead of them both in the experience department. Varlamov's success in a high level league will serve him well though.

And draft position doesn't mean anything. Brandon Snee was drafted 2 rounds ahead of Henrik Lundqvist (and Brent Krahn was 6 rounds ahead, although a different team). It all comes down to what they actually do in camp.
What? Varlamov took his team to the finals in the second best league in the world. He faced prolly the best scoring line outside of the NHL... Miles behind???? Yes, he did make some mistakes, but nothing that was God awful.. He did make the National Team...

High Level League? Guys, Flyers will offer you Downie straight up for Varlamov... Are you game?

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 10:58 PM
  #100
Gumby
Registered User
 
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: By the beach!! FL
Posts: 2,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
What? Varlamov took his team to the finals in the second best league in the world. He faced prolly the best scoring line outside of the NHL... Miles behind???? Yes, he did make some mistakes, but nothing that was God awful.. He did make the National Team...

High Level League? Guys, Flyers will offer you Downie straight up for Varlamov... Are you game?
Think he means he outplayed him in training/rookie camp last year.

Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.