HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dmitri Kugryshev a steal

Old
07-04-2008, 11:10 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
What? Varlamov took his team to the finals in the second best league in the world. He faced prolly the best scoring line outside of the NHL... Miles behind???? Yes, he did make some mistakes, but nothing that was God awful.. He did make the National Team...

High Level League? Guys, Flyers will offer you Downie straight up for Varlamov... Are you game?
Neuvirth was definitely better than Varlamov at rookie camp last year, no question. Varlamov had pretty much no technique. But that was before Varlamov had any coaching, which he finally got this year, so he'll have a leg up. He's got more pop than Neuvirth, but before this year Neuvirth had the fundamentals by far. A lot has changed in one year, though. But it's far from cut and dried, the NHL/AHL is a whole different animal from the RSL and the OHL, they've both got to earn their spot, and it looks as if they both will easily.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:25 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Neuvirth was definitely better than Varlamov at rookie camp last year, no question. Varlamov had pretty much no technique. But that was before Varlamov had any coaching, which he finally got this year, so he'll have a leg up. He's got more pop than Neuvirth, but before this year Neuvirth had the fundamentals by far. A lot has changed in one year, though. But it's far from cut and dried, the NHL/AHL is a whole different animal from the RSL and the OHL, they've both got to earn their spot, and it looks as if they both will easily.
Based on that - a TON of scouts saw smth in Varlamov that made him better than Neuvirth, but you did not see it. While his technique is definitely unorthodox, it does not make him a bad goalie... And please, do not even compare OHL to RSL... Yashin and Morozov vs. Stamkos and Esposito... Come on... (At the same time - based on the prospects that you currently have in goal - trading for Huet, not signing him was kinda NOT surprising to me...) Theodore is a band-aid who will get you to the playoffs, but I think McPhee is hoping for one of the young guns to flourish... I think Varlamov, based on the level of competition, has a leg up on everyone... Who else is out there (Your system) besides Jose?

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 11:34 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Based on that - a TON of scouts saw smth in Varlamov that made him better than Neuvirth, but you did not see it. While his technique is definitely unorthodox, it does not make him a bad goalie... And please, do not even compare OHL to RSL... Yashin and Morozov vs. Stamkos and Esposito... Come on... (At the same time - based on the prospects that you currently have in goal - trading for Huet, not signing him was kinda NOT surprising to me...) Theodore is a band-aid who will get you to the playoffs, but I think McPhee is hoping for one of the young guns to flourish... I think Varlamov, based on the level of competition, has a leg up on everyone... Who else is out there (Your system) besides Jose?
Take it easy man.

I'm not saying Varlamov's not a better prospect, I'm saying before this season he was much less refined than Neuvirth. If you didn't see them both last year I guess you can't compare. Varlamov should certainly be better long term, but then again it's all about what they do now to reach their potential. And I wasn't comparing the OHL and the RSL, I was saying they're both different enough than the AHL/NHL that they've both got to prove themselves and earn their spots (whichever those may be).

In our system, we've got Theodore and Johnson in the NHL, and both already pretty much have their spots secured (I guess one of the young guys could impress in camp enough, but it'd take a really big effort).

In the minors we've already got Machesney, who was one of the better AHL goalies this year, but he was stuck behind Cassivi. He's a year and a half ahead of Varlamov and Neuvirth, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he were ready for an NHL backup duty soon (09-10, after Johnson's contract is up). Varlamov and Neuvirth could both accelerate and earn a spot sooner rather than later, but overall we should be good once Theo's done.

Old
07-04-2008, 11:40 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Take it easy man.

I'm not saying Varlamov's not a better prospect, I'm saying before this season he was much less refined than Neuvirth. If you didn't see them both last year I guess you can't compare. Varlamov should certainly be better long term, but then again it's all about what they do now to reach their potential. And I wasn't comparing the OHL and the RSL, I was saying they're both different enough than the AHL/NHL that they've both got to prove themselves and earn their spots (whichever those may be).

In our system, we've got Theodore and Johnson in the NHL, and both already pretty much have their spots secured (I guess one of the young guys could impress in camp enough, but it'd take a really big effort).

In the minors we've already got Machesney, who was one of the better AHL goalies this year, but he was stuck behind Cassivi. He's a year and a half ahead of Varlamov and Neuvirth, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if he were ready for an NHL backup duty soon (09-10, after Johnson's contract is up). Varlamov and Neuvirth could both accelerate and earn a spot sooner rather than later, but overall we should be good once Theo's done.
Did not try to come off arrogant. Sorry... Either way - you are lucky - because of all of the depth that you have at that position. On the other hand, with Dmitri being a 2nd rounder, Varlamov being a 1st - does that push them through the development process faster? I.e. - does the management have a greater and a "sooner" responsibility when accounting for higher picks (Bring 'em to the NHL now")?

Old
07-04-2008, 11:47 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Did not try to come off arrogant. Sorry... Either way - you are lucky - because of all of the depth that you have at that position. On the other hand, with Dmitri being a 2nd rounder, Varlamov being a 1st - does that push them through the development process faster? I.e. - does the management have a greater and a "sooner" responsibility when accounting for higher picks (Bring 'em to the NHL now")?
Not that I can tell. I mean I guess they'll use higher picks on a guy if they think he's closer to the NHL, but that wouldn't go for goalies because they're too hard to predict.

Old
07-05-2008, 12:47 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
then please assist in all the "with Kolzig gone you need a young goalie please take **** for Semin (et all)".

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Gumby

Quote:
Draft position really means nothing now...it's all about who can get the job done the best.

Neither of these 2 will be on the Caps this year (barring multiple injuries). They're young and they need to play as much as possible, and sitting and watching Theo does nothing for that. My guess is that one will be loaned out to another AHL club to get the playing time while the other splits time with Machesny in Hershey...either that or one of them gets sent down to ECHL....while it's a lower league I don't think this is a bad thing for whoever goes there because they'll be the unquestioned top-dog and will get plenty of playing time and coaching (I think this would actually be the best for Varlamov, if he's not loaned out, because he needs more time to work on fundametals....there is a very big difference from going from a defensive minded RSL and facing guys like Morozov and an old Yashin to Boudreaus run-n-gun system and staring down Kovalchuk or Lecavalier 12 times a year). Don't misunderstand me, I think a lot more highly of Varlamov than most around here and think he's going to be great, but he does have work to do. BTW, how's his english?

Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:42 AM
backs4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Greene Go View Post
Looks pretty sharp in a Caps jersey, no?

You sure that's not just an older picture of Semin?

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 11:59 AM
SDBondra

SDBondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBondra View Post
Bwahaha. He does look like he's about 13 though.

Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
I actually hope either Varlamov or Neuvirth get a few games in a non-pressure situation.

I'm not sure they wouldn't pull up Maschesney first, but I think the sooner they get a start and get a taste is probably better for the organization.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Andrew

I think we're committed to Brent Johnson as the backup, at least for this season. I expect all the action Neuvy and Varlamov see will be in preseason, unless one of them really amazes. If an injury occurred though, it would be interesting to see who got called up. It would probably be based on how good they were doing on in the AHL.

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 04:05 PM
EHCler

Here is how McPhee planned this out.

Season 1: Varlamov or Neuvirth can adjust themselves to professional NA hockey in the AHL and get games, while Johnson and Theodore play for Caps.

Season 2: Johnson will be gone and Varmelov and Neuvirth will split a time to backup Theodore sniff NHL while also getting more game experience in the AHL.

Season 3: Varmelov or Neuvirth are ready to take over as number 1 goalie, with either the other backing them up or experienced backup fringe number 1 backing them up.

Plan sounds realistic. hopefully one of you guns will be ready in 2 years, if they are ready earlier the better. That is also why McPhee was not willing give a goalie a any more than a at most a three year deal.

EHCler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 05:11 PM
nautikal

The main thing this plan allows for is in 2 years, when Semin and Backstrom get new contracts, we only have to use around $2 million in cap space on goalies. So this should easily allow us to retain both Semin and Backstrom. At this point, the cap will hopefully be around $7-10 million higher.

nautikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 06:31 PM
SSM12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautikal View Post
The main thing this plan allows for is in 2 years, when Semin and Backstrom get new contracts, we only have to use around $2 million in cap space on goalies. So this should easily allow us to retain both Semin and Backstrom. At this point, the cap will hopefully be around $7-10 million higher.
Yep, that is what I am banking on!

SSM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 07:56 PM
CapGoodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCler View Post

Season 1: Varlamov or Neuvirth can adjust themselves to professional NA hockey in the AHL and get games, while Johnson and Theodore play for Caps.

Season 2: Johnson will be gone and Varmelov and Neuvirth will split a time to backup Theodore sniff NHL while also getting more game experience in the AHL.

Season 3: Varmelov or Neuvirth are ready to take over as number 1 goalie, with either the other backing them up or experienced backup fringe number 1 backing them up.

Plan sounds realistic. hopefully one of you guns will be ready in 2 years, if they are ready earlier the better. That is also why McPhee was not willing give a goalie a any more than a at most a three year deal.
I'm randomly quoting your post, as it's the most detailed one which completely ignores the fact that the Caps have a 21-year-old prospect who went 22-10-2 with .916% on a Hershey team that was only a .500 club without him between the pipes.

All the talk is about Neuvirth and Varlamov - and rightfully so in the context of where the next franchise goalie will likely come from - but Darren Machesney is a legit NHL prospect as well who really put up astonishingly good numbers for a young golatender with a hospital ward full of injured d-men playing in front of him.

The point being that your take on Mcphee's plan is slightly flawed, one of Neuvirth or Varlamov will be in the ECHL getting big minutes while the other platoons with the slightly more experienced and already AHL proven quality prospect (Cheezer) in Hershey. I'd be highly surprised if the AHL tandem is Varlamov/Neuvirth. They are more likely to be in a battle for the 2nd goaltender spot (although free to win the starting job) on the Bears roster.

I'm not sure how the situation will play out, Woods and Co. will have the final say on that as they watch the duel between the 3 play out in camp. Still, there are 5 goaltenders of signifigance in the Caps org, not 4, and Cheezer has the upperhand over the other two at a guarenteed roster spot in Hershey IMO. The Caps will make sure Neuvirth and Varlamov get all the games they need which means one is heading to the E' IMO - possibly with some rotation throughout the year.

My guess is Varlamov wins the Bears spot and it's Cheezer/Varlamov for the bulk of the Bears games.

Edit: Who knows though, TC could prove insightful enough for one of the 5 (well, not Theo) to be moved/traded etc etc.

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2008, 09:44 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGoodie View Post
I'm randomly quoting your post, as it's the most detailed one which completely ignores the fact that the Caps have a 21-year-old prospect who went 22-10-2 with .916% on a Hershey team that was only a .500 club without him between the pipes.

All the talk is about Neuvirth and Varlamov - and rightfully so in the context of where the next franchise goalie will likely come from - but Darren Machesney is a legit NHL prospect as well who really put up astonishingly good numbers for a young golatender with a hospital ward full of injured d-men playing in front of him.

The point being that your take on Mcphee's plan is slightly flawed, one of Neuvirth or Varlamov will be in the ECHL getting big minutes while the other platoons with the slightly more experienced and already AHL proven quality prospect (Cheezer) in Hershey. I'd be highly surprised if the AHL tandem is Varlamov/Neuvirth. They are more likely to be in a battle for the 2nd goaltender spot (although free to win the starting job) on the Bears roster.

I'm not sure how the situation will play out, Woods and Co. will have the final say on that as they watch the duel between the 3 play out in camp. Still, there are 5 goaltenders of signifigance in the Caps org, not 4, and Cheezer has the upperhand over the other two at a guarenteed roster spot in Hershey IMO. The Caps will make sure Neuvirth and Varlamov get all the games they need which means one is heading to the E' IMO - possibly with some rotation throughout the year.

My guess is Varlamov wins the Bears spot and it's Cheezer/Varlamov for the bulk of the Bears games.

Edit: Who knows though, TC could prove insightful enough for one of the 5 (well, not Theo) to be moved/traded etc etc.
Dude, either way - you guys do not have a luxury of goal tending prospects glut - you are the luxury and the glut.. I WOULD love to see your trade deals come deadline '09...

NOW, back to Mitya - any sightings in DC?

Old
07-06-2008, 10:28 AM
The Consiglieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCler View Post

That's what I imagine too, although I think it's possible that we may get a vet for season 3 if Varamlov and Neuvirth don't seem quite ready for starting duty in 2 years time. Is this the pattern that happened w/Kolzig and Defoe when they were coming up 15-18 years ago. Am trying to remember how the Kolzig-Defoe-Carrey Trio were developed and brought along to the big club in the nineties.

The Consiglieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 10:31 AM
The Consiglieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGoodie View Post

I hope you're right. It would be nice to have all 3 be legit options going forward, as it seems like essentially every goalie we've developed in the past 12 years has ended up being unacceptable as an option at the NHL leve. Extremely frustrating to see every last one of these guys flop. Would be nice to see a guy most of us didn't expect a ton from become a legit potential answer incase one or both of our duo of Euro/Russian youngsters fail at the next level.

The Consiglieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Consiglieri View Post
That's what I imagine too, although I think it's possible that we may get a vet for season 3 if Varamlov and Neuvirth don't seem quite ready for starting duty in 2 years time. Is this the pattern that happened w/Kolzig and Defoe when they were coming up 15-18 years ago. Am trying to remember how the Kolzig-Defoe-Carrey Trio were developed and brought along to the big club in the nineties.
If Machesney, Neuvirth, Varlamov turn out as well as Carey, Defoe, Kolzig, that would be great... as long as the Caps keep whichever one turns out to be Kolzig.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 12:25 PM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post

some similarity there, yeah
wow!!!!!!!!!

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 01:59 PM
LSF76

How likely is it that either Varlamov or Neuvirth gets loaned out to another AHL team (if they are all too good to play in the ECHL)?

LSF76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 02:17 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF76 View Post
How likely is it that either Varlamov or Neuvirth gets loaned out to another AHL team (if they are all too good to play in the ECHL)?
Someone is probably going to be loaned out. All 3 are too good for the ECHL most likely, and Hershey could probably get something useful in return. Part of me thinks Machesney would be the best one to leave, because he needs a starter's load and Varlamov/Neuvirth would probably be good splitting, but then again Machesney is probably the callup and it's better to keep him close to home (not to mention Hershey may be hesitant to go with 2 rookies).

With all that in mind, I think Neuvirth gets sent somewhere else, be it the ECHL or another AHL team.

Old
07-06-2008, 10:57 PM
FeedDaPuck

Ok, Ok... Stop with the goalies... Dmitri is staying with Varlamov... Comments? (From what I hear)

Old
07-07-2008, 01:16 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

That's cool. From very far away I've liked SV's attitude (ie wearing logo on helmet and comments). I hope that DK is similar.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote