HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official "welcome Alex Tanguay" thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Corey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Fair enough, you've proved that A-Tang is a great point producer. I just get iffy when people use career PPG stats because players like Datsyuk will have blown past Tanguay in 3-4 years.
All I ask is of Tanguay is that he proves to be a lot better than Ryder. I'm not looking to compare him with Datsyuk.

Old
06-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Nobak

Hey!
Hier Kommt Alex

Old
06-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Go Habs Go88

Welcome Alex. I liked him alot when he was in Colorado and when he went to Calgary I was mad we couldnt get him so now that hes here its great. All he has to do is play his game normally and not worry about the media one bit and he is good for at least 80 points. Play for Carbo instead of Iron Mike will boost his confidence as well. I wish the season started today i cant wait to have the Cup come back home where it belongs. Now get Sundin and watch the pain on all Leaf fans faces when Sundin is raising the Cup

Old
06-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
his pts per game come alot cheaper than breire.

how much of a diffrence is there?
Who cares?

Briere wasn't what we needed either. That doesn't mean Tanguay's the right guy.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Maybe if you think of him as "a soft playmaker" he isn't.

On the other hand, if you think of him as "one of the most productive even-strength players in the entire NHL", which he is, then he certainly fills a need, the Habs' biggest need in fact: more even-strength scoring.

This is very illustrative:
http://battleofalberta.blogspot.com/...in-series.html

The more I read about Tanguay the more I realize he is better than advertise. In what was termed a disappointing season for him, he was the most productive Flame not named Iginla per even-strength minute, and the third most productive over the season. He had more even-strength points than any Hab except Plekanec. And that's considering he was 20 points off the pace he had the year before. And he was playing in the more defensive Western conference and facing top opposition. He's never been a minus player in any regular season.

He's exactly what the Habs need: an extremely productive even-strength scorer. And he's one of the best left-wingers in hockey.
He's not close to being elite. And he's not a gritty player. He's not the impact player we should've gone after. You're overhyping this guy.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:45 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
No Montreal fan should be upset with this deal. It's simply phenomenal.
Not upset, but I would've preferred a different type of player. And Tanguay is far from phenomenal. He's not the kind of guy who shows up when you really need him. His playoff production drops dramatically and he's not the kind of player that you want in the dying minutes of a game.

That's the kind of player we need.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:45 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He's not close to being elite. And he's not a gritty player. He's not the impact player we should've gone after. You're overhyping this guy.
Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Heatley, Morrow, Nash. Those are the only LW's clearly better than Tanguay in the entire NHL.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:47 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
He's not the impact/elite guy Gainey's going after.

He's a first line winger to help our offense... and you're downgrading him a lot... way to go, didn't even put the blue-white and red on and you're already criticizing him... this is going to be a long year

Old
06-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
Do you take the chance of waiting to try and sign Hossa, and to be honest we would have been one of many many teams which obviously diminishes our chances or do you take a great offer from Calgary to get a quality winger which could have been gone by tomorrow.

I think Gainey made the right choice, why take a chance on Hossa who'll probably sign with Pitts or NY or something.

Be happy we added a quality winger without losing a roster player.
I would've preferred trying to get Hossa. He would've been perfect.

The guy is a physical goal scorer and he was great in the playoffs this year. He'd be incredible in Montreal. You're right though, he's greedy and he'd want more money than he's worth.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:50 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Not upset, but I would've preferred a different type of player. And Tanguay is far from phenomenal. He's not the kind of guy who shows up when you really need him. His playoff production drops dramatically and he's not the kind of player that you want in the dying minutes of a game.

That's the kind of player we need.
You're going to be pissed at Carbo a lot next year because an excellent two-way player like Tanguay will most probably be used a lot by Carbo in a the last minutes of an important game... winning or losing...

Old
06-23-2008, 09:51 PM
le_sean

Quote:
I would've preferred trying to get Hossa. He would've been perfect.

The guy is a physical goal scorer and he was great in the playoffs this year. He'd be incredible in Montreal. You're right though, he's greedy and he'd want more money than he's worth.
Great, tie up $8 million in a player for 7 years. What happens when his production drops after the 3rd year? You're paying $8 million for a player who is dminishing.

Tanguay is a Top-10 LW in the entire NHL. Do you not understand? One of the best at that position in the world, this is no exagerration. Plus at only 5.25 this clears money for another player like a Sundin.

Tanguay + Player X >>> Hossa

Old
06-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Heatley, Morrow, Nash. Those are the only LW's clearly better than Tanguay in the entire NHL.
Zetterberg, Malkin (sometimes LW) Gagne, Vanek, Huselius, Shanahan, Parise... Any of those guys are better. And Camaleri is better too.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Great, tie up $8 million in a player for 7 years. What happens when his production drops after the 3rd year? You're paying $8 million for a player who is dminishing.

Tanguay is a Top-10 LW in the entire NHL. Do you not understand? One of the best at that position in the world, this is no exagerration. Plus at only 5.25 this clears money for another player like a Sundin.

Read my quote again. I acknowledged that Hossa would want too much cash. But I'd rather have Hossa at 8.5 than Tanguay at close to six.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:56 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:

Come on... any GMs in the league would love to tie up a guy like Hossa for 7 years... he's been a stud each and every year... he's a franchise player which brigs balance to any club...that's why every GMs would throw multi-years contracts at him...

We, habs fans, should know better than anyone in the league how hard it is to get an elite player... when you have him for a long time, it brings stability...

For the long run, siging Hossa would be much better... for the short term, Sundin's a better fit...

Tanguay's acquisition has nothing to do with Hossa or Sundin talks...

Old
06-23-2008, 09:57 PM
znk

Quote:
Zetterberg, Malkin (sometimes LW) Gagne, Vanek, Huselius, Shanahan, Parise... Any of those guys are better. And Camaleri is better too.
Well...reading the Flames forum (calgarypuck) most seem to agree that Tanguay is better then Camilleri. What they like is that Camelleri is younger.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
You're going to be pissed at Carbo a lot next year because an excellent two-way player like Tanguay will most probably be used a lot by Carbo in a the last minutes of an important game... winning or losing...
Check out Tanguay's playoff numbers... when the going gets tough, he disappears. He's a complimentary player at best.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:58 PM
znk

Quote:
Come on... any GMs in the league would love to tie up a guy like Hossa for 7 years... he's been a stud each and every year... he's a franchise player which brigs balance to any club...that's why every GMs would throw multi-years contracts at him...

We, habs fans, should know better than anyone in the league how hard it is to get an elite player... when you have him for a long time, it brings stability...

For the long run, siging Hossa would be much better... for the short term, Sundin's a better fit...

I dont see Hossa carrying a team.

Old
06-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Well...reading the Flames forum (calgarypuck) most seem to agree that Tanguay is better then Camilleri. What they like is that Camelleri is younger.
Cammaleri as a 25 year old put up 30 goals and was a point per game on a terrible team. Tanguay put up fewer goals and the same points but had Iginla (one of the best players in the league) on his wing.

Last season Tanguay tanked and Cammaleri was on fire before his injury. Cammaleri is the better player for sure and if he stays healthy this year Calgary fans are going to love him.

He's what we needed... we've got enough playmakers, we need snipers.

Old
06-23-2008, 10:00 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Zetterberg plays centre. Then I guess Datsyuk would be better. Malkin is a centre, "sometimes" being a LW does not count his whole playoff run he was a centre and most of last year; Gagne maybe, we will have to see, he hasn't been an impact player in a while due to injuries; Vanek is NOT better, especially at his price; Huselius is NOT better, he's had one good year his entire career and is soft; Shanahan is no longer better, not for a few years now; Parise I thought was a centre, but even so yes he could be better but Tanguay's experience puts him over; Cammalleri is NOT better either.

You also have to take into account two-way play here. You clealry don't watch a lot of hockey.

Old
06-23-2008, 10:00 PM
znk

Quote:
Check out Tanguay's playoff numbers... when the going gets tough, he disappears. He's a complimentary player at best.
He had 21 points in 23 games in the Avs cup win. Scored the cup wining goal if I'm not wrong.

Old
06-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I dont see Hossa carrying a team.
Debatable... He was amazing with the Sens. He was the only guy who showed up in the playoffs but Belfour completely robbed him. He was great this year.

And he wouldn't have to carry the team... he'd just have to lead it. He's enough of an impact player that he might've been good enough to put us over.

I completely agree with people here though that he'd probably want too much money over too long a period of time.

Old
06-23-2008, 10:02 PM
le_sean

Quote:

Tying up $3 million in one player is going to prevent you from spending that money elsewhere. I don't want Hossa for 7-8 years, it would be dumb. Clearly the bar has been raised to win the Cup this coming year due to the UFAs the Habs have after this season. So yes Hossa is a good player but for the short term (which is what we're going for here) he is not a good solution.

Old
06-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
He had 21 points in 23 games in the Avs cup win. Scored the cup wining goal if I'm not wrong.
He was playing with Sakic and Forsberg.

And he still averages about .5 points per playoff game over his career. The fact that he scored 21 of his 58 total points in one season does not bode well for us. He's not the go to guy and he never has been.

Old
06-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Tying up $3 million in one player is going to prevent you from spending that money elsewhere. I don't want Hossa for 7-8 years, it would be dumb. Clearly the bar has been raised to win the Cup this coming year due to the UFAs the Habs have after this season. So yes Hossa is a good player but for the short term (which is what we're going for here) he is not a good solution.
I have to agree. And unfortunately, its probably what his agent would insist on.

Old
06-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

yikes, I just went over Tanguay's Stats...I think I'll be saying 'Shoooooooooooooooooooot alreadyyyyyyyyyyy' too many times this up coming season.

We have playmakers even before Tanguay's trade, we needed a shooter!

Closed Thread