HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official "welcome Alex Tanguay" thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2008, 10:41 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

vCash: 500
As good as the KPK line was last year I think Tanguay would be perfect in AK46's spot. Tanguay has been playing with sniper type players like Iginla and Hejduk and that is why it seems he is more of a playmaker... playing with a guy like Kovalev will get him a lot of open chances and even though Andrei did a great job on Kovy's LW he did miss quite a few tap-ins something a natural LW like Alex would easily bury IMO.

Another reason why Tanguay should take AK46's spot on that line is we saw whenever Andrei got the puck he liked to take it up the right side and looked a lot more comfortable doing it, this is why he needs to be put on the right wing.

Tanguay has had an excellent shooting % his entire career and with all the set ups he'll get from Pleks and Kovy I have no doubt in my mind that Tanguay will have his first 30 goal season of his career with the Habs and he'll get over 80 points.

Old
06-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'd rather an inconsistent Kovalev (who consistently shows up in the playoffs) than Tanguay (who consistently goes missing when it really matters) any day.
You mean like the winning goal for the Stanley cup in game 7 around 2001? As i remember he was the author of two goals that night. He has more game vision than Kovalev, even tought i prefer Kovy, who has more skills and talent by far, his game lecture might a little deficient (give aways in the neutral zone).

Old
06-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
As good as the KPK line was last year I think Tanguay would be perfect in AK46's spot. Tanguay has been playing with sniper type players like Iginla and Hejduk and that is why it seems he is more of a playmaker... playing with a guy like Kovalev will get him a lot of open chances and even though Andrei did a great job on Kovy's LW he did miss quite a few tap-ins something a natural LW like Alex would easily bury IMO.

Another reason why Tanguay should take AK46's spot on that line is we saw whenever Andrei got the puck he liked to take it up the right side and looked a lot more comfortable doing it, this is why he needs to be put on the right wing.

Tanguay has had an excellent shooting % his entire career and with all the set ups he'll get from Pleks and Kovy I have no doubt in my mind that Tanguay will have his first 30 goal season of his career with the Habs and he'll get over 80 points.

I do really like AKost on the right side....

I'd like to get Sundin too... and pair those three up....
Tanguay - Sundin - Andrei
while sticking Higgins into the empty spot on the Pleks line;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
You mean like the winning goal for the Stanley cup in game 7 around 2001? As i remember he was the author of two goals that night.
I was waiting for someone to bring that up.
He had 21 pts in 23 games that playoff year for Colorado... not too bad.
He didn't even get much PP time... as he only had one PP goal.

Looking at his career playoff stats, they are skewed by his rookie year only 3 points in 17 games..... If we take those out, because we know many rookies have problems in the playoffs.... we see that his playoff PPG is 0.7; thats not too bad.

Edit: Looking at his career Regular season and playoff stats he's a great even strength player....
Of 177 career reg season goals only 45 have been on the PP;
and of his 19 career playoff goals only 7 have been on the PP...

I really like the sounds of that..... He can really jack up our 5 on 5 play.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?page=Play...=page&tab=crst

Edit: stats on NHL.com player page are pp goals... not pp points

Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-25-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old
06-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
You mean like the winning goal for the Stanley cup in game 7 around 2001? As i remember he was the author of two goals that night. He has more game vision than Kovalev, even tought i prefer Kovy, who has more skills and talent by far, his game lecture might a little deficient (give aways in the neutral zone).
The guy averages almost half a point per game in the playoffs. Its nice that he had a good game but he was on a team with Forsberg and Sakic. They might as well have been bouncing the puck off of his head.

The guy isn't a playoff performer and he never has been.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:18 PM
MathMan

Quote:
And again, Tanguay doesn't really seem to make the players around him better. When he gets taken off a superstars' line, his stats take the hit... its not the other way around.
Actually, according to the Flames bloggers, the reason Tanguay ended up not playing with Iginla is that the Flames' lines would get torched by the opposition unless either Tanguay or Iginla was on it -- forcing the Flames to use him as a two-way checker for lack of any other options, else they would become a one-line team. Huselius was not considered safe enough to use on the second line, which is why he was used with Iginla. That's why Tanguay's even-strength stats went down... plus ANYONE who plays with Nolan at RW rather than Iginla will take a hit, like it or not. He's made the guys around him better, it's just that they were terrible to begin with.

That explains why Tanguay ended up with the hardest matchups of any Flame forward overall. Nonetheless, it still allowed him to be the second-best Flame at even-strength... even used in a checking role.

Quote:
Ovechkin already has something like 300 more career shots than Tanguay does over his three year career.
Yes, but not only are you comparing a sniper with a playmaker, you're using Ovechkin, who is a freak where shots are concerned. That's comparing apples and hamburgers.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
The guy averages almost half a point per game in the playoffs. Its nice that he had a good game but he was on a team with Forsberg and Sakic. They might as well have been bouncing the puck off of his head.

Like Beakermani said.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I do really like AKost on the right side....

I'd like to get Sundin too... and pair those three up....
Tanguay - Sundin - Andrei
while sticking Higgins into the empty spot on the Pleks line;

I was waiting for someone to bring that up.
He had 21 pts in 23 games that playoff year for Colorado... not too bad.
He didn't even get much PP time... as he only had one PP goal.
21 points in 23 games isn't too bad. But again, look at the team he was playing with, its not even a point per game pace. And that was his BEST performance. Sakic and Forsberg might as well have been banking shots off of his helmet.
Quote:
Looking at his career playoff stats, they are skewed by his rookie year only 3 points in 17 games..... If we take those out, because we know many rookies have problems in the playoffs.... we see that his playoff PPG is 0.7; thats not too bad.
Flip that around,

Look at his totals: 58 in 96. If we eliminate that one year it gets even uglier: 37 in 73, less than half a point per game. That's absolutely terrible. And its heavily weighted towards assists.
Quote:
Edit: Looking at his career Regular season and playoff stats he's a great even strength player....
Of 177 career reg season goals only 45 have been on the PP;
and of his 19 career playoff goals only 7 have been on the PP...

I really like the sounds of that..... He can really jack up our 5 on 5 play.
Hopefully that's true. Keep in mind though who he's played with in the past.

Quote:
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?page=Play...=page&tab=crst

Edit: stats on NHL.com player page are pp goals... not pp points
Hopefully the guy produces for us. I just don't see him adding much to our club. He's more of the same and we needed something different.

He's also not nearly as good as people are making him out to be. Honestly, when was the last time you ever heard of this guy carrying a team? He's just not good enough to do it. He's a complimentary player who doesn't really bring much to the table that we didn't have already.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:25 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:

If i'm not mistaken Forsberg was out after the second round after he got his spleen removed (actually just confirmed it by checking wikipedia) and that is when Tanguay stepped up his play and helped Colorado win the cup without Forsberg bouncing the puck off his head.

Add to that aside from his rookie season (where he got 3 points in 17 games as a 19 year old) he is averaging .7 points per game, which is the exact same amount which Pavel Datsyuk is averaging over his playoff career. Not bad for a guy who's not a playoff performer, eh?

Old
06-25-2008, 11:26 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Actually, according to the Flames bloggers, the reason Tanguay ended up not playing with Iginla is that the Flames' lines would get torched by the opposition unless either Tanguay or Iginla was on it -- forcing the Flames to use him as a two-way checker for lack of any other options, else they would become a one-line team. Huselius was not considered safe enough to use on the second line, which is why he was used with Iginla. That's why Tanguay's even-strength stats went down... plus ANYONE who plays with Nolan at RW rather than Iginla will take a hit, like it or not. He's made the guys around him better, it's just that they were terrible to begin with.
And yet, Iggy's points remained the same. And Tanguay's went down.
Quote:
That explains why Tanguay ended up with the hardest matchups of any Flame forward overall. Nonetheless, it still allowed him to be the second-best Flame at even-strength... even used in a checking role.
Don't make me laugh...

Iggy always has the hardest matchups. Tanguay simply isn't talented enough to get it done on his own. He's a better version of Craig Janney.
Quote:
Yes, but not only are you comparing a sniper with a playmaker, you're using Ovechkin, who is a freak where shots are concerned. That's comparing apples and hamburgers.
It doesn't matter man... the guy's been in the league three years and has three hundred more shots.

Again, stop apologizing for him.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
If i'm not mistaken Forsberg was out after the second round after he got his spleen removed (actually just confirmed it by checking wikipedia) and that is when Tanguay stepped up his play and helped Colorado win the cup without Forsberg bouncing the puck off his head.

Add to that aside from his rookie season (where he got 3 points in 17 games as a 19 year old) he is averaging .7 points per game, which is the exact same amount which Pavel Datsyuk is averaging over his playoff career. Not bad for a guy who's not a playoff performer, eh?
Again, flip it around. 37 points in 73 games is awful.

And Forsberg was around, I'm pretty sure that's the year Colorado only managed to win a game or two without him.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:31 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Hopefully that's true. Keep in mind though who he's played with in the past.
You mean Brett Maclean and Ian Laperriere? Those were in linemates in 05-06.

Quote:
Hopefully the guy produces for us. I just don't see him adding much to our club. He's more of the same and we needed something different.
We needed a guy who can be effective and produce 5-on-5. It is something Montreal had a lack of and has been identified all season long last year as the Habs' one weakness. Tanguay is an excellent 5-on-5 player.

Quote:
He's also not nearly as good as people are making him out to be.
No, you're just letting your initial impression make you underrate it. The guy is an elite forward and has the stats to back it up. Even his stats in his "disappointing" last season are pretty dang good if you look beyond goals-assist-points (and you should).

Quote:
He's a complimentary player who doesn't really bring much to the table that we didn't have already.
Like who do the Habs have that is so similar to Tanguay? Not Kovalev, not Andrei Kostitsyn, not Latendresse, not any of the checkers, and I don't think he's too much like Plekanec or Higgins either. Koivu? Maybe, but I don't really think so.

About the only really comparable is Hab Sergei Kostitsyn.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:32 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Again, flip it around. 37 points in 73 games is awful.
Flip what around? Taking out his rookie season, where many players struggle in their post-season especially when they are still 19, is not the same thing as "flipping" and taking out a players best postseason stats.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:39 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
You mean Brett Maclean and Ian Laperriere? Those were in linemates in 05-06.
Superstars don't need good linemates. Iggy did it, Oates did it, Thornton did it... those guys score no matter who's on their line.

Not only that, their wingers tend to have huge spikes in their numbers when they get put onto their lines. Tanguay makes no real difference. The snipers put up the same numbers with or without him. But his stats go down when he's removed from those lines.
Quote:
We needed a guy who can be effective and produce 5-on-5. It is something Montreal had a lack of and has been identified all season long last year as the Habs' one weakness. Tanguay is an excellent 5-on-5 player.
We needed:
A physical forward who could stand up to tough play in the playoffs.
A goalscorer.
An elite talent who could carry our offense.
A true offensive superstar (we havent had one in two decades)
Somebody who's proven in the playoffs.

Tanguay is a speedy playmaker who is decent defensively and is a playmaker. We've already got a ton of pass first guys, we didnt' need another.
Quote:
No, you're just letting your initial impression make you underrate it. The guy is an elite forward and has the stats to back it up. Even his stats in his "disappointing" last season are pretty dang good if you look beyond goals-assist-points (and you should).
I said all of this before we signed him. I argued that he wasn't a guy we should look at. The guy isn't a difference maker and that's what we needed.

Quote:
Like who do the Habs have that is so similar to Tanguay? Not Kovalev, not Andrei Kostitsyn, not Latendresse, not any of the checkers, and I don't think he's too much like Plekanec or Higgins either. Koivu? Maybe, but I don't really think so.

About the only really comparable is Hab Sergei Kostitsyn.
Our first two line centers are pass first guys already. They needed snipers, esp one to replace Ryder.

Tanguay is a complimentary player. Good enough to play with elite players but not elite himself. He racks up assists from guys who put up the same numbers with or without him. He's not a difference maker. And we needed one.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:40 PM
MathMan

Quote:
And yet, Iggy's points remained the same. And Tanguay's went down.
Iginla ended up with Langkow and Huselius, who are a heck of a lot better than Conroy and Nolan. Put Iggy with these guys and tell him to be a checker and I think his numbers dip.

Tanguay's ES numbers had a bit of variation last year (it would have been shocking if there hadn't considering the difference in linemates), but what really killed his counting stats is lack of quality PP time, not so much being taken off Iggy's line. The stats are plain for interested people to see.

Quote:
Don't make me laugh...

Iggy always has the hardest matchups. Tanguay simply isn't talented enough to get it done on his own. He's a better version of Craig Janney.
Funny, there are guys who measure these things, and their results say you're wrong. You might want to hop over at behindthenet.ca and have a look, there are a lot of extremely informative and meaningful statistics there, like measures of strength of competition.

Look it up. Get informed. You might need to challenged some preconceived notions, but that may not be a bad thing.

Quote:
It doesn't matter man... the guy's been in the league three years and has three hundred more shots.
No, it doesn't matter, it's a completely senseless and meaningless comparison.

I will concede the point: I agree, Tanguay is not Ovechkin. I wish he were, but I don't think we could have had him for a couple of draft picks if he were.

Quote:
I'm not apologizing for him. I'm merely pointing out factors that demonstrate he's an elite forward and explaining why they do so. There is no need to apologize for his results, they are quite good enough to stand on their own if you will actually look at them rather than simply reject them because they don't mesh with what you think of him.

I'm merely pointing them out because you don't seem to know about them. Mind you, I've pointed them out several times now and you haven't taken any of these facts into consideration.I have to say I'm thinking your opinion was made up the day he was traded here and no amount of factual information won't make you budge from your rather uninformed position, but what can I say, I can be a mule sometimes.

Last edited by MathMan: 06-25-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old
06-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Flip what around? Taking out his rookie season, where many players struggle in their post-season especially when they are still 19, is not the same thing as "flipping" and taking out a players best postseason stats.
Why not?

You're asking us to take out his worst season, I'm asking you to take out his best.

At the end of the day, without that one good (not great) playoff run, his postseason numbers are terrible.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:49 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Superstars don't need good linemates. Iggy did it, Oates did it, Thornton did it... those guys
score no matter who's on their line.
Hey, here goes then. Tanguay was 8th in the NHL in even strength points per ice-hour in 05-06, while playing with MacLean and Laperriere -- that was the season he ended up with 78 points in 71 games, if you're more into counting numbers.

Quote:
We needed:
A guy who can produce at even-strength. That's Tanguay.

He *is* a difference-maker. Every shred of factual information we have on him indicates that he's an elite left-winger and playmaker.

About the only think that can be complained about is that he doesn't shoot enough, which hasn't stopped him from being a 20 to 25 goal guy. You can blame him for not being a sniper, but the Habs just didn't need a goal-scorer nearly as much as they need an effective and productive 5-on-5 player.

Quote:
Tanguay is a complimentary player. Good enough to play with elite players but not elite himself.
Tanguay can carry a line. He did it two seasons out of the last three.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Delat

Tanguay may only be seen by some like a complimentary player because he is more a playmaker, but the fact is a playmaker can sometimes be the best player and can make a guy that has just some talent to crash the net like a star. I watched a lot of Flames games this year and I think that in the defensive zone as well as in the neutral zone Tanguay is the type of guy we needed, the guy sees the opening he rarely misses when it's time to leave the zone and some ressure is coming and it's a big problem we have. We need more player who are patient and can make good decisions. From there, the guys that we already have that can score will show up, if nobody shows then we have a problem. Too much people tend to evaluate a foward only for what he does in the offensive zone. Tanguay isn't soft, he can pass pretty well, and guess what he can score, it's only up to him to do it. I really think that we'll like him, it's not only about points but he does a lot of little things a bit like Pleks does, these types of guys anticipate the play, they don't react to it.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:54 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Why not?

You're asking us to take out his worst season, I'm asking you to take out his best.

At the end of the day, without that one good (not great) playoff run, his postseason numbers are terrible.
That's not even the same thing...

Most 19 year olds are still in junior, not playing in the NHL playoffs and a lot who are actually in the NHL might not even get a playoff game in.

Lecavalier never got to play in the playoffs until his 5th NHL season when he was already a star in the league, so if he put up 3 points in 17 games as a rookie in the playoffs in one of those 4 years his numbers wouldn't look as impressive as he'd have 36 points in 62 games. But as he didn't get to play in a playoff game until he was 23 his stats look better since he didn't have to go into the playoffs as an inexperienced rookie and struggle like Tanguay did as a 19 year old, he was then a veteran with 4 full seasons under his belt in his first playoffs.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Iginla ended up with Langkow and Huselius, who are a heck of a lot better than Conroy and Nolan. Put Iggy with these guys and tell him to be a checker and I think his numbers dip.
Iggy has put up great numbers on terrible offensive teams. You keep screaming that Huselius isn't as good but again Iggy's numbers don't change.

You want elite? Look at Oates... THAT guy was elite. Brett Hull had multi 70+ goal seasons with him and when he left he never hit 60 again. Then he goes to Boston and Cam Neely all of a sudden scores 50 goals in 50 games. Then he gets hurt, and Oates (playing with practically nobody) goes on to the best season of his career.

Look at Thornton, it doesn't matter who the guy plays with he still hits at least a point per game every year. Those guys can score no matter what.

Tanguay isn't that kind of player.

Quote:
Tanguay's ES numbers had a bit of variation last year (it would have been shocking if there hadn't considering the difference in linemates), but what really killed his counting stats is lack of quality PP time, not so much being taken off Iggy's line. The stats are plain for interested people with open minds to see.
You're only looking at the stats you want to see.

Quote:
Funny, there are guys who measure these things, and their results say you're wrong. You might want to hop over at behindthenet.ca and have a look, there are a lot of extremely informative and meaningful statistics there, like measures of strength of competition.

Look it up. Get informed. You might need to challenged some preconceived notions, but that may not be a bad thing.
If the guy wasn't on the Habs, you wouldn't be nearly as high on him.

He's a playmaker who doesn't perform in the playoffs and he isn't physical. I'm not saying he's bad. I'm saying that he's overrated and we didn't need him.

Quote:
No, it doesn't matter, it's a completely senseless and meaningless comparison.
No it isn't. You keep grasping at straws talking about shooting percentage. Your percentage can be 100%. It doesn't matter a hill of beans if you're not taking any shots.
Quote:
I will concede the point: I agree, Tanguay is not Ovechkin. I wish he were, but I don't think we could have had him for a couple of draft picks if he were.
The point is that your shooting percentage argument is garbage.

Quote:
I'm not apologizing for him. I'm merely pointing out factors that demonstrate he's an elite forward and explaining why they do so. There is no need to apologize for his results, they are quite good enough to stand on their own if you will actually look at them rather than simply reject them because they don't mesh with what you think of him.

I'm merely pointing them out because you don't seem to know about them. Mind you, I've pointed them out several times now and you haven't taken any of these facts into consideration.I have to say I'm thinking your opinion was made up the day he was traded here and no amount of factual information won't make you budge from your rather uninformed position, but what can I say, I can be a mule sometimes.
You are apologizing for him. You're only looking at the facts you want to look at. The fact that you keep coming up with excuses for him not producing and talking about his shooting percentage is evidence of this.

He's a pure playmaker who isn't physical. He also doesn't really make the players around him much better. You don't want to acknowledge this.

And if he's the best forward on our team then we have no chance of winning. He's a complimentary player at best. I don't think he'll be a disaster and I don't expect him to be Samsonov. He'll put up good points (mostly assists) in the regular season but he's not going to make us much better. And he's not a playoff guy. By and large he has a reputation for not being great under pressure. We'd have been better off with somebody else.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
That's not even the same thing...

Most 19 year olds are still in junior, not playing in the NHL playoffs and a lot who are actually in the NHL might not even get a playoff game in.

Lecavalier never got to play in the playoffs until his 5th NHL season when he was already a star in the league, so if he put up 3 points in 17 games as a rookie in the playoffs in one of those 4 years his numbers wouldn't look as impressive as he'd have 36 points in 62 games. But as he didn't get to play in a playoff game until he was 23 his stats look better since he didn't have to go into the playoffs as an inexperienced rookie and struggle like Tanguay did as a 19 year old, he was then a veteran with 4 full seasons under his belt in his first playoffs.
Slice it up any way you wish he has ONE good playoff run. And even there it isn't great. Most of the time he doesn't show up.

Even if you eliminate both his best and worst seasons his totals are still around a half point per game.

Stop trying to argue that he produces in the playoffs. He doesn't.

Old
06-26-2008, 12:00 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Look at Thornton, it doesn't matter who the guy plays with he still hits at least a point per game every year. Those guys can score no matter what.
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa.

You are criticizing Tanguay's post-season play... yet you bring up Joe Thornton? Ironic...

Old
06-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

Ovechkin has 300+ more shots than Hossa over the last 3 seasons. Is Hossa no longer considered an offensive threat based on this comparison? Come on now.

I mean, even when Forsberg was getting over 100 points, he was having 160/170 shot seasons (and before you start talking about all his half seasons, those were in 73 and 75 game seasons). Comes with being a playmaker first, scoring threat second.

Old
06-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Iggy has put up great numbers on terrible offensive teams. You keep screaming that Huselius isn't as good but again Iggy's numbers don't change.

You want elite? Look at Oates... THAT guy was elite. Brett Hull had multi 70+ goal seasons with him and when he left he never hit 60 again. Then he goes to Boston and Cam Neely all of a sudden scores 50 goals in 50 games. Then he gets hurt, and Oates (playing with practically nobody) goes on to the best season of his career.

Tanguay isn't that kind of player.

You're only looking at the stats you want to see.

If the guy wasn't on the Habs, you wouldn't be nearly as high on him.

He's a playmaker who doesn't perform in the playoffs and he isn't physical. I'm not saying he's bad. I'm saying that he's overrated and we didn't need him.

No it isn't. You keep grasping at straws talking about shooting percentage. Your percentage can be 100%. It doesn't matter a hill of beans if you're not taking any shots.

The point is that your shooting percentage argument is garbage.

You are apologizing for him. You're only looking at the facts you want to look at. The fact that you keep coming up with excuses for him not producing and talking about his shooting percentage is evidence of this.

He's a pure playmaker who isn't physical. He also doesn't really make the players around him much better. You don't want to acknowledge this.

And if he's the best forward on our team then we have no chance of winning. He's a complimentary player at best. I don't think he'll be a disaster and I don't expect him to be Samsonov. He'll put up good points (mostly assists) in the regular season but he's not going to make us much better. And he's not a playoff guy. By and large he has a reputation for not being great under pressure. We'd have been better off with somebody else.
You make good points. But Bob Gainey is looking at the bigger picture here. The reason Tanguay put up good points in Colorado was because he didnt have any pressure on him.

In Calgary he had tons of pressure, and is not a meat and potatoes type forward that Keenan likes. Now in Montréal the only pressure he has is by the media. Which will love the fact that they have a french star in town. Regardless what he does, the media will love him. He will feel right at home, especially if he is performing. Kostitsyn, Kovalev, Higgins, Saku, and Pleks will take off a lot of that pressure. Especially if Sergei breaks out with a 50-60 point campaign. They also have Latendresse who has some upside, but none I see being realized next season. HE HAS TO GET INTO BETTER SHAPE.

The one problem I see happening here is if the media glorifies him drasticly if he puts up an 80 point campaign. If that does happen, it will raise the expectations on him and he may struggle under the pressure. We will have to see what happens. I believe this season will be a strong one for him.

Old
06-26-2008, 12:03 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Hey, here goes then. Tanguay was 8th in the NHL in even strength points per ice-hour in 05-06, while playing with MacLean and Laperriere -- that was the season he ended up with 78 points in 71 games, if you're more into counting numbers.
I don't care.

Again, you keep focusing only on the positive. Yes, his assists are good. Yes, he's produced at even strength... it doesn't matter.

He's not physical, doesn't shoot or score much and doesn't show up in the playoffs.

Quote:
A guy who can produce at even-strength. That's Tanguay.
Not in the playoffs.

Quote:
He *is* a difference-maker. Every shred of factual information we have on him indicates that he's an elite left-winger and playmaker.
I've already shown you that isn't true.

He produces with elite players but doesn't produce points on his own. He also doesn't make much of a statistical difference for the players he's with. He's dependent on them, not the other way around and the numbers show this.
Quote:
About the only think that can be complained about is that he doesn't shoot enough, which hasn't stopped him from being a 20 to 25 goal guy. You can blame him for not being a sniper, but the Habs just didn't need a goal-scorer nearly as much as they need an effective and productive 5-on-5 player.
We needed a physical goalscorer. We got a soft playmaker instead, one that doesn't produce in the playoffs.
Quote:
Tanguay can carry a line. He did it two seasons out of the last three.
Iggy carried Tanguay and when he left his line, Tanguay wasn't the same but Iggy was.

Tanguay has never carried a team in his life.

Old
06-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
You make good points. But Bob Gainey is looking at the bigger picture here. The reason Tanguay put up good points in Colorado was because he didnt have any pressure on him.
I agree that's partially true. He also had great teammates though.
Quote:
In Calgary he had tons of pressure, and is not a meat and potatoes type forward that Keenan likes. Now in Montréal the only pressure he has is by the media. Which will love the fact that they have a french star in town. Regardless what he does, the media will love him. He will feel right at home, especially if he is performing. Kostitsyn, Kovalev, Higgins, Saku, and Pleks will take off a lot of that pressure. Especially if Sergei breaks out with a 50-60 point campaign. They also have Latendresse who has some upside, but none I see being realized next season. HE HAS TO GET INTO BETTER SHAPE.
The pressure on him here will be 10 x worse. And the media will have no problem ripping him apart if he slumps. They did it with Theo, Ribeiro, Brisebois and they'll do it with Tanguay.
Quote:
The one problem I see happening here is if the media glorifies him drasticly if he puts up an 80 point campaign. If that does happen, it will raise the expectations on him and he may struggle under the pressure. We will have to see what happens. I believe this season will be a strong one for him.
I believe he'll have a decent year but I see him going away in the playoffs. I agree that he's not a pressure type guy and you have to be able to take it if you play in Montreal... esp if you're French.

Closed Thread