Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia

Malkin and Pestunov

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Guillaume

vCash: 500
Malkin and Pestunov

What do you guys think of them blowing the doping test before the WJC?
Just to summarize, the Federation did a dopin test before the WJC in Finland during the preparation. THey found Pemolin (a stimulant) in Malkin's and Pestunov's urine. metallurg Magnitogorsk told them that the stimulant fell in their food.......and the Russian Federation was happy with that explanation and they did not get suspended...they redid the test and did not find anything.
I don't want to blame anything on Malkin and Pestunov (they are 17 and 18 year old pros), but I found the reaction of the Federation pretty lame. I am sure that if Russia would have done better at the WJC, other nations could have complained. FOr this time, I am pretty sure not many other countries would have liked to finish at Russia's place.
I tend to think that it should not hurt Malkin's chances at the next draft as (i) it seems to come from the team's staff, and (ii) with all what the NHL players are loaded with, it should pretty much be a non-issue (the NHL is not even responding to letters from the world antidoping agency...)

Old
02-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Fredrik

While it probably won't hurt their NHL careers that they've been using illegal substances I wonder about what they have been taking and how much apart from this substance. Also, how many others are doing it?

Is it possible that Russia has an international scandal on its way?

Old
02-17-2004, 03:51 AM
Pekka Lampinen

Now that Tero Lehterä is a Finnish pioneer in Russia, the media and the hockey community has taken an interest in Russian hockey, and Lehterä has been eager to report. At one point the insane amount of practice was the talk of the day, and experts said that 1) players can't develop even physically under such stress and exhaustion and 2) their bodies can't take it without the aid of illegal substances.

I can't believe anyone would come up with some as ridiculous as "it fell in their food", and obviously the federation doesn't care. Assuming that no third (or fourth, in this case) party cared, the team(s?) could probably go on with this ad infinitum without any problems surfacing as the NHL is doing, but sooner or later the IIHF or another European federation raise hell.

A single case won't get the team disqualified, but multiple offenders can, as was the situation with Belarus when Pankov was caught in Salt Lake City.

Old
02-17-2004, 04:30 AM
Jacob

I wonder what they would have to gain from taking the stuff. It's for kids that can't sit still in class, isn't it?

Old
02-17-2004, 12:41 PM
ZBORNAJA

Send a message via ICQ to ZBORNAJA
Well i believe that 95% of people who are in big cash profesional sports do this(soccer in some big european countries(and clubs),NBA,NFL,NHL.....).It is sad but we know what or who rules the world...money

Old
02-22-2004, 10:25 AM
stardog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
I wonder what they would have to gain from taking the stuff. It's for kids that can't sit still in class, isn't it?
I think you may be thinking of Ridilin Jacob...

Old
03-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Grave77digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
I think you may be thinking of Ridilin Jacob...
Pemoline is prescribed for ADHD

Old
03-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Foppa_Rules

Malkin and Pestunov

Does anybody have a link to this story? Were they the only two players who flunked it? I know Ovechkin had an hour long drug test and none were found.....

Closed Thread