HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Bank Shot v.s. Brownlee & Stauffer

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2008, 09:36 PM
outKast*

vCash: 500
Bank Shot v.s. Brownlee & Stauffer

i lol'ed during the draft coverage.

Not only were they singling out hf members, but they were also dissing all hf members in general. They kept ragging on Guy Flaming for being one of us... anyhoo, discuss the 1260 oilers coverage team.

Old
06-21-2008, 09:41 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Well--the fact the oilers did nothing and Staufer made it soundlike the oilers had stuff going on hurt him.

Stauffer came off like eklund and we know how much I LOVE eksucks

Old
06-21-2008, 09:43 PM
PaperDesigner

Stupid nerds on HF... we're clearly useless. Especially since we're the target audience of a local afternoon sports show. And we're also most likely to call in, which is part of the show's content. Curse us! Curse us all!

Old
06-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Stauffer tries dude. He really did hear from a source inside saying these are the deals. Now never in his entire time on the radio did he say "Those deals will be done and done". He just pointed out that there was a deal on the table and it's just the matter of accepting. I've heard stauffer call out many trades and he's usually bang on on them. To be honest, he is the only source right now I trust.

Old
06-21-2008, 10:24 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Oilers 666 View Post
Stauffer tries dude. He really did hear from a source inside saying these are the deals. Now never in his entire time on the radio did he say "Those deals will be done and done". He just pointed out that there was a deal on the table and it's just the matter of accepting. I've heard stauffer call out many trades and he's usually bang on on them. To be honest, he is the only source right now I trust.
Same here. Stauffer and Brownlee are pretty accurate. Sometimes they just throw things out there just for discussion but rarely will they present it like it's an actual rumor. Like 2 weeks ago when they discussed the possibility of Spezza being available. It was just conversation at that time. However, when they actually go out on a limb and say what they've heard, it's usually accurate. Obviously their sources are legit. They heard Cammalleri was on the move and he was. It's not that crazy of a thought to think the Oilers were in negotiations and couldn't match the 12th overall pick that the Ducks were willing to put up in the 3-way deal.

Old
06-21-2008, 10:37 PM
outKast*

They (Mostly Brownlee) could stand to be more respectful towards their target audience i guess. It was pretty entertaining none the less, but come on, why pick on Bank Shot... it was just surprising that they would mention his name specifically

Old
06-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Oilerdiehard

I always find it a bit silly when radio personalities start defending themselves and attacking nerds on a message board who are using fake names. It really comes off making them look silly IMO. If they really feel that way come on the message board and say their piece instead of using the radio for silly junk like that.

Old
06-21-2008, 10:44 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanye View Post

Not only were they singling out hf members, but they were also dissing all hf members in general. They kept ragging on Guy Flaming for being one of us... anyhoo, discuss the 1260 oilers coverage team.
Just to clarify that they kept referring to Guy as "one of them"... and you could tell Guy was a little uncomfortable because he didn't want to say something and alienate himself from this crowd. Just a little unfair for to put him on the spot like that live... what was Guy supposed to do?

Old
06-21-2008, 10:54 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I always find it a bit silly when radio personalities start defending themselves and attacking nerds on a message board who are using fake names. It really comes off making them look silly IMO. If they really feel that way come on the message board and say their piece instead of using the radio for silly junk like that.
And here I thought I was the only one who thought that.

Old
06-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanye View Post

I dropped by to say hello (& have a beer) just prior to the draft - I introduced myself as having being invited by Guy on this forum.

I did not interrupt them while they were on air (they were working) but it was pretty cool to watch them in action. I always assumed they were sitting around the table giving hand signals as to who was to speak next. They were all sitting on the same side of a larger desk not looking at each other most of the time - still have no idea how they don't all talk at the same time...

Back to the point - during commercial / news break, Guy actually chatted with me for about 5 minutes - he appreciated that a hfboards poster dropped by......

Old
06-22-2008, 12:00 AM
HotToddy

I thought Brownlee embarrassed himself.

There are 35 posters in the Oiler blogosphere who I'd rather read then him

Old
06-22-2008, 12:06 AM
the word*

I find it more amazing by the day that Stauffer even has a show, and people listen to it

Old
06-22-2008, 12:12 AM
hfboardsuser

Cage match, anyone? Brownlee and Stauffer vs. Bank Shot and The Warrior, with Guy reffing.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Slats432

Well, if they are going for less listeners, I think they are going to accomplish it.

Maybe they are a little older and they don't really understand the information age. For example...

Take a look:
http://www.lastlinkontheleft.com/r020.html

It takes me 7 seconds to let them know that they need listenership...not to alienate it.

This coming from a Stauffer fan....like I said in an earlier thread...Stauffer might just be looking for an added edge, possibly going for some shock to generate listeners.

Regardless....it doesn't seem to be a good strategy to me.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Basically what set them off was being compared to Ecklund.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:22 AM
theoil

Anybody remember why Spector left that show?

Old
06-22-2008, 12:24 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432 View Post
Well, if they are going for less listeners, I think they are going to accomplish it.

Maybe they are a little older and they don't really understand the information age. For example...
I've mentioned this a couple of times in previous threads on this topic and Guy usually pops in to tell me that Bob understands the net just fine but it is hard to see in his behaviour. Brownlee? The less said the better.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post

Too true HotToddy. AT least 35 posters I would prefer reading than Brownlee... and Stauffer who has stuff in the Sun I would prefer reading even less than Brownlee.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:32 AM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
Basically what set them off was being compared to Ecklund.
So they took a shot at HFBoards because of this post??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Sounds like Stauffer is just throwing so much crap at the wall, that if something does happen he can say he knew about it.

It's the Eklund strategy.
Stauffer and Brownlee just don't seem to like to be criticized, and when they are they lash out rather than simply ignoring it (IMO by far the preferred option) or sucking it up and just accepting that people having disagreements with them is part of the gig, and why they get ratings in the first place. Pretty odd really.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Julio18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post

The exact reason these guys feel threatened by bloggers. They have never before been so highly revered / criticized in such a timely fashion. These boards have changed the dissemination of information in a big way and they put the 'authorities' to the test every day. It's like having an entire community as a manager. Popular vote can sway one way or another in a matter of minutes - I'd say that is a pretty hostile environment conduct your business.

We keep 'em honest.... well, most of 'em anyway - there's an ecklund in every group (shameless).

Old
06-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
I've mentioned this a couple of times in previous threads on this topic and Guy usually pops in to tell me that Bob understands the net just fine but it is hard to see in his behaviour. Brownlee? The less said the better.
Maybe he understands how to open IE and get to HF boards to type a response in a thread, but he doesn't understand that it is an integral part of communication. Everyone under 50 pretty much uses it as their primary source of communication and information.

I listen to the stream of 1260 more than in my car. So the more he/they insult internet geeks, they basically insult everyone.

The only reason I mention it is because I really like Bryn and have tremendous hope for the success of 1260 and don't want an attitude of ignorance to hurt the station for the longterm.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:43 AM
theoil

Quote:
Maybe he understands how to open IE and get to HF boards to type a response in a thread, but he doesn't understand that it is an integral part of communication. Everyone under 50 pretty much uses it as their primary source of communication and information.

I listen to the stream of 1260 more than in my car. So the more he/they insult internet geeks, they basically insult everyone.

The only reason I mention it is because I really like Bryn and have tremendous hope for the success of 1260 and don't want an attitude of ignorance to hurt the station for the longterm.
This is exactly what I think as well - though I am over 50 and it is still my primary source of communication.

I think Spector kept Stauffer a little more honest whereas Brownlee and he just make each other worse. But that is just a guess - I don't listen to him anymore.

Old
06-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Timo

Guy is a classy man.

Brownlee and Stauffs need to be a little easier on HF...

and HF needs to be a little easier on Brownlee and Stauffer

Old
06-22-2008, 12:53 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Guy is a classy man.
Agreed.

Old
06-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Asher

Quote:

Take a look:
http://www.lastlinkontheleft.com/r020.html

It takes me 7 seconds to let them know that they need listenership...not to alienate it.

This coming from a Stauffer fan....like I said in an earlier thread...Stauffer might just be looking for an added edge, possibly going for some shock to generate listeners.

Regardless....it doesn't seem to be a good strategy to me.
QFT.

As for the Eklund comparison, I can see why that might upset them - it would upset me too since if i were them since I believe Eklund is a complete fraud. Nevertheless, once in a while I almost make the same comparison myself... not because of the validity of the sources being quoted (I believe Bob does indeed have some inside sources, something I wouldn't say about Eklund), but because of the way the information is presented. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise keep your mouth shut. Don't play these mind games where you are purposely vague or start to say something and then cut yourself off in the middle with, "that's all I can say," because it comes across as amateurish - something Eklund does on a daily basis.

Bob likes to play these little games where he gives you half of what he knows and then watches his phone lines light up like a Christmas tree with callers begging him to tell more and him playing coy for the rest of his show. The is exactly the same way, 100%, that Eklund does things: "I'm hearing about a top line forward in the NE division, looks like Spezza or Bergeron... good chance he gets traded to a team out West. Really big news."And then hoards of people posting, "Please Ek tell us more! It's bottom of the barrel type reporting IMO, and it's sad that Bob feels it necessary to stoop to these levels to provide what he would likely call "good radio." Use Eklund's style long enough, and of course people are going to start comparing you to him, even it's not totally fair.

Closed Thread