HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Bank Shot v.s. Brownlee & Stauffer

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2008, 05:41 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow View Post
he did it on his show, not on these boards.

and theres a thing called freedom of speech. if i don't like somone i'm aloud to voice my opinion. you don't have to listen or agree.
Excuse me.

Where did I say you weren't entitled to your opinion? Of course you are.

Frankly my opinion on Brownlee and Stauffer isn't going to change. I have seen how Brownlee talks to people on Oilersnation, it isn't respectful 85% of the time. Which is too bad, I thought he had a real chance to connect with a lot of people.

Stauffer and Brownlee insulting people on a message board isn't going to impress a lot of listeners, it will turn a lot away.

Old
06-22-2008, 05:51 PM
undertow

bashing someone useing radio isn't any different then bashing someone using a forum. two forms of media, both open to public to commetn with or view. but somehow we should feel sorry for the "nerd" behind the keyboard. like i said, very thin reasoning to get on bob. and btw. i highly doubt their listening #'s are goin to go down considering their only comp is ched for local sports. if you can call that compition.

Old
06-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
bashing someone useing radio isn't any different then bashing someone using a forum. two forms of media, both open to public to commetn with or view. but somehow we should feel sorry for the "nerd" behind the keyboard. like i said, very thin reasoning to get on bob. and btw. i highly doubt their listening #'s are goin to go down considering their only comp is ched for local sports. if you can call that compition.
They are the exact same? Does that mean at any hour of the day and any time I feel like it I could get on the radio? That anyone who does is get on the show is on equal footing in a discussion with the host like they are on a message board?

IMO it is was poor use of their position but in the end they only made themselves look foolish. They felt worried and threatened enough to defend themselves about what one guy said on one of many message boards. It just comes off so amateurish and definitely for me it helps soil my opinion of those gentlemen. They are the professionals here. Despite disagreeing with both on many issues I have quite enjoyed both guys and am a fan of both. I was always of the opinion that Brownlee was the best writer at the Sun and they fired the wrong guy. These petty things though personally make me lose a lot of respect for them. I find myself tuning in less and less to Bob's show as time goes by.

Old
06-22-2008, 06:32 PM
theoil

Quote:
i highly doubt their listening #'s are goin to go down considering their only comp is ched for local sports. if you can call that compition.
I don't know why I bother but check out the link in post #14 of this thread. CHED is the most listened to station in Edmonton and increased their listeners between fall of 2007 and the spring of 2008 by more listeners than 1260 has ever had and they keep dropping.

Old
06-22-2008, 06:53 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
They are the exact same? Does that mean at any hour of the day and any time I feel like it I could get on the radio? That anyone who does is get on the show is on equal footing in a discussion with the host like they are on a message board?

IMO it is was poor use of their position but in the end they only made themselves look foolish. They felt worried and threatened enough to defend themselves about what one guy said on one of many message boards. It just comes off so amateurish and definitely for me it helps soil my opinion of those gentlemen. They are the professionals here. Despite disagreeing with both on many issues I have quite enjoyed both guys and am a fan of both. I was always of the opinion that Brownlee was the best writer at the Sun and they fired the wrong guy. These petty things though personally make me lose a lot of respect for them. I find myself tuning in less and less to Bob's show as time goes by.
That is two of us and I am sure there are a few more.

I still enjoy Gregor but he is really the only one I continue to listen to.

They are alienating the very people they need to rise as a radio station. Not very smart.

Old
06-22-2008, 06:55 PM
the word*

Wow, did this ever turn into a fun thread

..a must read for a Sunday..

Handsome Bob, what are you thinking about right about now?

Let's start a new thread about Pierre McGuire

Old
06-22-2008, 06:56 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
That is two of us and I am sure there are a few more.

I still enjoy Gregor but he is really the only I continue to listen to.

They are alienating the very people they need to rise as a radio station. Not very smart.
I am another one. It is just a little too juvenile for me. Maybe it is an age thing and they think their target audience is 13-16. That is the only explanation I've got.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:02 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
I am another one. It is just a little too juvenile for me. Maybe it is an age thing and they think their target audience is 13-16. That is the only explanation I've got.
That kind of behaviour is more likely the result of being insecure in your position. HF boards is what it is...a chance for Oiler fans of all levels of knowledge and interest to state their opinions.

We can all get a little wrapped up in it sometimes but for anyone here to take it pesonally is a bit beyond the pale.

If a professional broadcaster feels a need to berate a poster for their opinion, there is only one loser in that battle IMO.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:08 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
That kind of behaviour is more likely the result of being insecure in your position. HF boards is what it is...a chance for Oiler fans of all levels of knowledge and interest to state their opinions.

We can all get a little wrapped up in it sometimes but for anyone here to take it pesonally is a bit beyond the pale.

If a professional broadcaster feels a need to berate a poster for their opinion, there is only one loser in that battle IMO.
Exactly it is too bad that the Team hasn't realized that yet.

They have the potential to be more than they are.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Bank Shot

Thanks for those who have given me some support in these trying times.

Obviously Stauffer has some sources, but I think he spends too much time trying to cultivate the image of how plugged in he is rather then report responsibly.

You don't often see a guy like Bob McKenzie throwing out unsubstansiated rumours seemingly just for the sake of ratings.

Personally, I think that there is better hockey content on the web, and idle speculation by the diehard fans gives just as much or more predictive power when it comes to pending trades.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:21 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Thanks for those who have given me some support in these trying times. Obviously Stauffer has some sources, but I think he spends too much time trying to cultivate the image of how plugged in he is rather then report responsibly.

You don't often see a guy like Bob McKenzie throwing out unsubstansiated rumours seemingly just for the sake of ratings.

Personally, I think that there is better hockey content on the web, and idle speculation by the diehard fans gives just as much or more predictive power when it comes to pending trades.
Have you seen a counsellor yet.

I know you are just recovering from the trauma.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:28 PM
theoil

Quote:

You're not going to start being mature and reasonable now I hope.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:28 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Thanks for those who have given me some support in these trying times.

Obviously Stauffer has some sources, but I think he spends too much time trying to cultivate the image of how plugged in he is rather then report responsibly.

You are absolutely right Bank Shot.

Anyone with a computer and the knowledge of where to look can dig up more information in half an hour than many media performers.

Sure, much of the information on the web comes from the efforts of the MSM, but increasingly it doesn't.

And, the argument that "I know more than I'm telling you" is pandering.

A journalist's primary responsibility is to his readers, viewers or listeners. This isn't the Watergate Scandal here, it's freakin' sports coverage, which ranks right ahead of who's going to get what on "Antique's Roadshow".

See Dan Barnes piece in today's Journal as an example of what a journalist actually is:

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...b-3771e48b3c19

Do you think he'll be Danny Mac's best friend?

Do you think he cares?

Nope. He's doing his job. And very well I might add.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:29 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
You're not going to start being mature and reasonable now I hope.
I draw the line at reasonable...just not in the cards. Curmudgeons don't have that quality do they?

Old
06-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post

You need to learn your place--before you go picking a fight with this junkyarddog
Dude.. this isn't my battle, but I have to respond to this.

Just because you have 14k posts doesn't mean you know ANYTHING about hockey or deserve even a modicum of respect around here.

IMO a large portion of your posts are either one word answers or don't add a thing to the thread. I find Epic's posts to be much more interesting and provocative.

06-22-2008, 07:32 PM
theoil

Quote:
You are absolutely right Bank Shot.

Anyone with a computer and the knowledge of where to look can dig up more information in half an hour than many media performers.

Sure, much of the information on the web comes from the efforts of the MSM, but increasingly it doesn't.

And, the argument that "I know more than I'm telling you" is pandering.

A journalist's primary responsibility is to his readers, viewers or listeners. This isn't the Watergate Scandal here, it's freakin' sports coverage, which ranks right ahead of who's going to get what on "Antique's Roadshow".

See Dan Barnes piece in today's Journal as an example of what a journalist actually is:

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...b-3771e48b3c19

Do you think he'll be Danny Mac's best friend?

Do you think he cares?

Nope. He's doing his job. And very well I might add.
Always been a big Barnes fan. Would love to see him become the main guy for the Oilers.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:34 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Always been a big Barnes fan. Would love to see him become the main guy for the Oilers.
Looks like things may be moving in that direction.

Now that the "partial ownership yoke" is off the Journal, perhaps we can expect it. I truly hope so.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:48 PM
theoil

Quote:
Looks like things may be moving in that direction.

Now that the "partial ownership yoke" is off the Journal, perhaps we can expect it. I truly hope so.
Hadn't thought of that. So you think they had somebody that hasn't a clue about hockey as the beat writer all these years just because as an owner they didn't want anybody competent making nasty comments about the team?

Could be.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:54 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Hadn't thought of that. So you think they had somebody that hasn't a clue about hockey as the beat writer all these years just because as an owner they didn't want anybody competent making nasty comments about the team?

Could be.
It's likely not that overt, but you'll notice Barnes is moving more and more into daily sports comment which was not his previous role with the Journal.

If I'm the editor of the Journal, and I see the quality of work he's turning out, then I turn him loose on likely the best sports beat in the country.

It's like having Cam Cole back...only better because he's *****ier...and I like that.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:55 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
ratings are droping cause of sat radio, online, and mp3. theres not to many friends or family of mine that even listen to local radio anymore. why would u wana? howard wants listeners so bad sirius gives away radios with subscriptions paid for. or go the smart way and get xm. or just go to online world of listenin pleasure.
Sorry man but you're wrong. Radio tuning is actually moving upwards again. Satellite radio can't provide what the majority of radio listeners want - locality. Locality in entertainment, information, and current events.

The station I currently work for is enjoying its highest CUME ever despite the fact that the overall population has shrunk slightly. If you put a good product on the air, people will still listen.

The Team's problem is they aren't very good. They need to get better in a hurry. I've worked at a station with a >2 share and it's not fun.

People who love sports in Edmonton want to hear about the Oilers, Eskimos, OilKings and Rush, not the University of Wisconson football team or the Lakers. There is a reason Sirius and XM are merging in the States... and that is because satellite radio is a niche.

If you think that satellite radio is the end of terrestrial radio, consider this; thats what they said about TV and Walkmans.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:03 PM
theoil

Quote:
It's likely not that overt, but you'll notice Barnes is moving more and more into daily sports comment which was not his previous role with the Journal.

If I'm the editor of the Journal, and I see the quality of work he's turning out, then I turn him loose on likely the best sports beat in the country.

It's like having Cam Cole back...only better because he's *****ier...and I like that.
Oh, OK. As I'm sure I've mentioned I don't read papers other than when there are links from here to specific stories. Better for my blood pressure.

I've thought for years, though, that Barnes was the pick of the litter over there from the stories that I do see. Bright guy.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:22 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Oh, OK. As I'm sure I've mentioned I don't read papers other than when there are links from here to specific stories. Better for my blood pressure.

I've thought for years, though, that Barnes was the pick of the litter over there from the stories that I do see. Bright guy.
Yes he is and a great writer to boot.

More please, sir.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:25 PM
outKast*

Does Kevin Karius have a radio show/ blog or write for any newspaper? He seems like a pretty nice sportscaster. Doesn't he fill in for Morely Scott on CHED during PPV games? He should have his own column and radio show. He doesn't seem like the type of guy who would cut people off. I can actually see him being scouted to the Sportsnet/ The Score stations the way Dreger was scouted from A-Channel.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
I think most on here including Bank Shot thought it was funny (I didn't hear it)

The fact that Bob has to stoop to insult people that are hiding behind a fake name on a hockey board is what I find interesting.

Why did he do so?

Because some no-name dweep nerd hockey poster insulted him while hiding behind a fake name.
It's just a bit too easy to anonymously chastise these guys and, for what exactly? Doing their jobs? They have to put in their little tidbits of info (or rumour if that's what you want to call it) because that's what the guys who are bashing them turn the radio on to hear in the first place.

"I never listen to that radio show because every time I do..."

Old
06-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Bob Stauffer

HF posters.

Did any of you actually hear the show on Friday?
I don't think I was the one hammering HF or "bank shot."
We have tried to provide HF with posts on breaking trades etc..
And I still find it amazing that some of you take issue that I was "wrong" with Nylander, when I broke that the Oilers had signed him.
Especially since the Oilers took issue with Nylander's camp afterwords thinking they had him signed as well.

As for the the whole "Takko Time" fiasco.
My guess is you most of you may have figured out if my "Katz" source was any good at about 1:05 on Monday early in February...
See Katz dealt with the media in a Conference call from 12:00-12:30 ish that day, and then did an exclusive one-on-one Team 1260 a full five hours before doing the obligatory CHED interview.
Interesting he has not done a one-on-one in print/TV or anywhere since.
Hmm.

As for the Warrior.

Here your post from earlier in the thread.

Look Bob Bought his way onto radio and Robin Brownlee has been reduced to an internet bloq. Robin is in the twilight of a medicore career as a journalist and can fire at bank shot because they are at an equal level. 2 guys posting on the internet on fan sites.

Warrior, you have a solid knowledge of sport but not the facts on some issues
I had an option of being a salaried employee with then Standard radio when "Total Hockey" first started in February of 2003, but was offered an enterperniual(sp.?)opportunity as well.
I chose to strike out on my own.
And have selected that option for five successive contract extensions for the show.
Interesting though Warrior I recall that you threw your name into the hat to be a part of Cool 880's "Apprentice" deal to be host of Edmonton Roadrunners hockey in the Fall of 2004. Remember you sent me you "audition tape"?
I don't think you made it into the final 10, and eventually they opted to hire Jordi Weidman on a part-time basis.
Prior to Corus electing to go that route...there was a guy who was offered a decent base salary plus a commission percentage to move his show to Cool 880 and host the broadcasts.
But that guy turned it down because he was doing far better at that the Team 1260.
Your reading his post right now.
As for Brownlee...he kicked the crap out of the competition pretty much for a decade, I wouldn't say he has had a mediocre career.
If there is any justice in this world he will be a beat reporter again.

Finally Hockey Addict 101.
Don't Know what I possibly did to incur your non-stop wrath.
For the record.
In the latest BBM's "Total Sports" numbers have nearly doubled over the last year.
In Jan-Feb 2007 we had a 4.4 share Men's 25-54 from 3:00-7:00.
In Jan-Feb 2008 we had an 8.0 share Men's 25-54 from 3:00-7:00, and were actually a 9.4 from 3:00-6:00 when I'm on the air.
Men's 25-54 is how sports stations get judged by the likes of Wiilam Houston in the Globe and Mail

Good luck to you all

Stauffer
Team 1260

Closed Thread