HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leaf Fans Are Delusional

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2008, 01:17 AM
The Big Swede

vCash: 500
It would be so hilarious is Sundin signed back with the Leafs

This board would probably explode

Old
06-22-2008, 01:23 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
It would be so hilarious is Sundin signed back with the Leafs

This board would probably explode
Wouldn't be that hilarious

Old
06-22-2008, 01:25 AM
The Big Swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
Wouldn't be that hilarious
How about we wait and see what happens instead of speculating all the time

Old
06-22-2008, 01:29 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Swede View Post
How about we wait and see what happens instead of speculating all the time
I can't wait much longer! lol

Old
06-22-2008, 01:30 AM
dlandry77

Who cares what Leaf fans think, there franchise is a joke and there history is full of nothing.

They Don't deserve Mats Sundin because this player is there franchise in a nut shell and they treat him like dirt. He has the most points in a Leaf uniform and they try to trade him and then on top of that he gets no credit for what he has done for there franchise.

Bottom line Mats will sign with the Habs or someone else besides the leafs.

We sign him, they get a 2nd round pick in 2009.

If we don't they don't get *****.

Thats not funny, thats the truth

Leaf fans are so funny, its like they think they have 24 cups or something.

That might be true if the Love Guru had 24 sequels.

Last edited by dlandry77: 06-22-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Old
06-22-2008, 04:46 AM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlandry77 View Post
Who cares what Leaf fans think, there franchise is a joke and there history is full of nothing.

They Don't deserve Mats Sundin because this player is there franchise in a nut shell and they treat him like dirt. He has the most points in a Leaf uniform and they try to trade him and then on top of that he gets no credit for what he has done for there franchise.
Yeah, b/c Montreal is the expert on how to treat their star players

Didn't you guys run the best Goalie in your history out of town? and for Jocelyn 'The Sieve' Thibault at that??

Old
06-22-2008, 04:48 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cage View Post
Didn't you guys run the best Goalie in your history out of town? and for Jocelyn 'The Sieve' Thibault at that??
Roy left because of Tremblay, not the team or anyone else in the organization. Get your facts straight.

Old
06-22-2008, 05:03 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
there are many leaf fans who actually believe that gainey is going to give up the likes of pacioretty, higgins, latendresse and chipchura AND a high pick for the right to talk - and maybe sign sundin.

would we be this delusional? would hab fans be demanding kulemenin or tlusty if the roles were reversed and koivu was their target.

this is crazy

I heard it was Latendresse and Fischer...which is more than I think it will be.

Old
06-22-2008, 05:09 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cage View Post
Yeah, b/c Montreal is the expert on how to treat their star players

Mike Keane was a forward, not a goalie... everyone knows that!!!

Leafs fans...

Old
06-22-2008, 05:55 AM
snap-bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franey97 View Post
Good thing the higher ups in MTL have class, unlike others. There will be compensation for him if he ends up in MTL, that you can be sure of.

Its just good business after we let you talk to him first.

I hope we soak you for your 09' first
wow, not only did you predict what Schenn's number will be when he joins the leafs but you also believe he will switch to a left-hander?

Old
06-22-2008, 05:58 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Bob McKenzie stated that the habs would give a 2nd round pick to toronto if they sign sundin.... but its not confirmed

I'm okay with that.... I was thinking of a 3rd myself

Old
06-22-2008, 06:09 AM
boredmale

I think most trade proposals made on here are delusional in favor of <my favorite team>

Old
06-22-2008, 07:23 AM
wedge

guys.. there's a reason why the LEAFS gave the HABS the chance to discuss with sundin instead of another team... it's probably because we gave the best offer. Do you really think that the LEAFS made a gift to us?

if you think that we're only giving a second rounder for Sundin, you're due for some really bad news.

Old
06-22-2008, 07:30 AM
onice

Quote:
Good thing the higher ups in MTL have class, unlike others. There will be compensation for him if he ends up in MTL, that you can be sure of.

I wonder who you could be referring to as one of the classless?

Old
06-22-2008, 07:41 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarev View Post
guys.. there's a reason why the LEAFS gave the HABS the chance to discuss with sundin instead of another team... it's probably because we gave the best offer. Do you really think that the LEAFS made a gift to us?

if you think that we're only giving a second rounder for Sundin, you're due for some really bad news.
Are you calling Bob McKenzie a liar?

How do we know Sundin didn't say "I'll play for Montreal or no one." So instead of waiting until July 1st and get nothing, the Leafs contact Bob, tell him Sundin might want to sign here and if you give us a small compensation (2nd rd) we'll let you talk to him early. Is that too far fetched?

Old
06-22-2008, 07:42 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:

Being the "only one" to talk to Sundin only has limited value. It is strictly an issue of avoiding tampering charges. From Sundin's perspective, if he does not want to come here, before or after July 1st is not going to matter

My take on this arrangement is that Gainey is after one thing. He wants to know what the deal with Sundin would be before July 1st to make it easier going after other UFAs after July 1st, i.e. cap room, focus on certain players, etc. If he knows bagging Sundin is out of the way it clears the decks so to speak

While that would be nice, I do not think it is worth more than a 2nd rounder. Certainly not a player, unless that player is in Hamilton.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

Fine. Ryder and a second. No skin of our backs.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:27 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:

Sundin has only one team on his list: the Canadiens. So, I don't see why would the Habs gave the moon for Sundin.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:28 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Being the "only one" to talk to Sundin only has limited value. It is strictly an issue of avoiding tampering charges. From Sundin's perspective, if he does not want to come here, before or after July 1st is not going to matter

My take on this arrangement is that Gainey is after one thing. He wants to know what the deal with Sundin would be before July 1st to make it easier going after other UFAs after July 1st, i.e. cap room, focus on certain players, etc. If he knows bagging Sundin is out of the way it clears the decks so to speak

While that would be nice, I do not think it is worth more than a 2nd rounder. Certainly not a player, unless that player is in Hamilton.
Locke would look good in a Leafs' uniform !

Old
06-22-2008, 08:30 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

Here's the compensation ; Gainey promised that Habs won't play Sundin when visiting the Leafs

Old
06-22-2008, 10:09 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Mike Myers is quoted as saying, "If you build it, they will come. So I thought, If I write it, they will win."

Old
06-22-2008, 10:24 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
there are many leaf fans who actually believe that gainey is going to give up the likes of pacioretty, higgins, latendresse and chipchura AND a high pick for the right to talk - and maybe sign sundin.

would we be this delusional? would hab fans be demanding kulemenin or tlusty if the roles were reversed and koivu was their target.

this is crazy

You'd be lucky to get a 4th rounder for Koivu. Atleast Mats is a good hockey player

Old
06-22-2008, 10:26 AM
ChesterNimitz

Let us Hope it's Gainey Whose not Delusional

Having won only two Stanley Cups in that last quarter century it must be obvious to even the most casual of observers that the Canadiens have not been blessed with outstanding management. To pay any significant price for the right to merely talk to a player that will be a free agent by July 1 can only be viewed as folly. Sundin was a great player and a player who single handedly save the Maple Leaf franchise when the Nordiques inexplictedly traded him for Wendle Clarke. But the point is, Sundin was a great player. Do we really want to commit 15% of our cap budget to a soon to be 38 year player, whose production and ice presence is now in noticeable decline and who has to be convinced to play another year? If there was no compensation to be paid I would be hesitant to make such a committment. Hockey in the new cap era, similar to the NFL, is about asset management. Some teams, like the Red Wings and the Patriots, know how to do it and are perennial contenders. While others, looking for quick fixes or guided by other priorities, provide fodder for the elite teams. Put simply, unless the agreed upon compensation is at best nominal, let us hope Sundin does our team the greatest of all favours, and stays in lovely Sweden.

That is all.

Old
06-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
Having won only two Stanley Cups in that last quarter century it must be obvious to even the most casual of observers that the Canadiens have not been blessed with outstanding management. To pay any significant price for the right to merely talk to a player that will be a free agent by July 1 can only be viewed as folly. Sundin was a great player and a player who single handedly save the Maple Leaf franchise when the Nordiques inexplictedly traded him for Wendle Clarke. But the point is, Sundin was a great player. Do we really want to commit 15% of our cap budget to a soon to be 38 year player, whose production and ice presence is now in noticeable decline and who has to be convinced to play another year? If there was no compensation to be paid I would be hesitant to make such a committment. Hockey in the new cap era, similar to the NFL, is about asset management. Some teams, like the Red Wings and the Patriots, know how to do it and are perennial contenders. While others, looking for quick fixes or guided by other priorities, provide fodder for the elite teams. Put simply, unless the agreed upon compensation is at best nominal, let us hope Sundin does our team the greatest of all favours, and stays in lovely Sweden.

That is all.
Much of this does not make sense. Who cares if we commit 15% of our cap to a 38 year old for 1 year? It's either that or we sit there and twiddle our thumbs with that 15% in the bank.

Production and presence in decline??? Sundin just had a great season. Look at his last couple of years.

YEAR - GP - G - A - PTS
2001-02 - 82 - 41 - 39 - 80
2002-03 - 75 - 37 - 35 - 72
2003-04 - 81 - 31 - 44 - 75
2005-06 - 70 - 31- 47- 78
2006-07 - 75 - 27 - 49 - 76
2007-08 - 74 - 32 - 46 - 78

WHERE might I ask is this alleged decline in production? If anything, he stepped it up as the players around him got worse.

Yes, this might be a short-term quick fix. But it's one intended to go for a Cup. We have the long-term pieces in place with our stock of quality prospects and young, developing players. It's time to add a veteran and take a stab at #25.

Speaking of #25, talking about poor management over the last 25 years is totally pointless and irrelevant. The guys in charge today have nothing to do with those who were here 10 years ago. Gainey, Timmins, and the rest of the crew have done a good job to put is in a spot where we just won the Eastern Conference regular season title and are looking to improve upon that.

Let's be realistic. You have to give to get. The Leafs were kind enough to ensure we wouldn't be wasting assets and that when we do compensate them, we'll have a guaranteed signed Sundin. If it's gonna cost us Grabovski and a 2nd round pick, so be it.

Old
06-22-2008, 10:39 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post

That is all.
Let's think of team needs.
- Size
- Leadership
- Scoring
- Experience
- Face-offs
- Right Handed Shot.

Geez, Sundin certainly doesn't fill any of those needs, does he?

Closed Thread