HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Taping Hockey Skates

Old
06-21-2008, 11:49 PM
mikeylikey

vCash: 500
Taping Hockey Skates

I started a "Learn to Skate to Play Hockey" class about 2 months ago. I had been skating a few months prior to joining the class, but I was still pretty bad.

On the 3rd week of the class, we learned the hockey stop. I picked it up pretty quick, but at the end of the class, I tried to stop, then fell and sprained my ankle.

Before I got back on the ice, a guy in the pro shop said I should use "sock tape" to tape up my skates around the ankles for better support. I tried it, and it made a huge difference. The skates I have are a pair of pre-owned CCM skates, and they don't support my ankles very well. I was able to bend and roll my ankle the same as if I were wearing a pair of shoes. But now that I tape my skates, I am much more confident on the ice. I feel more stable, I can skate faster, and I can stop quicker.

Does anyone else here tape their skates? Or, can anyone recommend a pair of skates with good ankle support? Thanks for any advice!

mikeylikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:37 PM
no.95

While your skates should have some ankle support you really shouldn't go for overly stiff skates. I'm also usually against taping your skates as taping them hinders you from naturally strengthening your ankles, I'd tape up my ankle inside the skate or put on some sort of ankle support thingy instead if I was prone to spraining them. As for skates go for a pair of low/mid-level skates that you find comfortable, go to your local hockey shop and try on a couple of them, take your time and let them help you.

no.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Blackjack

I agree. Try to strenthen your ankles and increase flexibility. Taping your skates is a band-aid solution and not only will it prevent your ankles from getting stronger, it will also interfere with your ability to perform complex skating maneuvers when you reach that level.

To avoid hurting yourself again I would recommend sharpening your skates in a way that makes stopping a little easier (hopefully others can help here), and not attempting hockey stops when your ankles are tired. When the supporting muscles in the ankle give out, that's when all the force goes right into the tendons, and you get sprains and injuries.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 06:55 PM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
I agree with the first two posters. Natural is the way to go IMO, and it will only help you out in the long run. It's like your mom tells you to take out the garbage(you sprain your ankle) and you keep pushing it off and pushing it off(taping your skates) but you eventually have to do it anyway(the healing process).

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:31 PM
mikeylikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
I agree. Try to strenthen your ankles and increase flexibility. Taping your skates is a band-aid solution and not only will it prevent your ankles from getting stronger, it will also interfere with your ability to perform complex skating maneuvers when you reach that level.

To avoid hurting yourself again I would recommend sharpening your skates in a way that makes stopping a little easier (hopefully others can help here), and not attempting hockey stops when your ankles are tired. When the supporting muscles in the ankle give out, that's when all the force goes right into the tendons, and you get sprains and injuries.
Thanks for the feedback guys!

When you said to sharpen them in a certain way...what way will make stoping easier? Or, what should I tell the guy in the pro shop next time I need a sharpening?

I'm going to go to an open skate this week and try the skates again without the tape. I'm already used to the tape being there and I rely on it a lot...so I'll be a bit nervous to try things again without the tape, but I understand your points about why I should lose the tape.

Thanks again!!!

Old
06-22-2008, 07:47 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24godard View Post
I agree with the first two posters. Natural is the way to go IMO, and it will only help you out in the long run. It's like your mom tells you to take out the garbage(you sprain your ankle) and you keep pushing it off and pushing it off(taping your skates) but you eventually have to do it anyway(the healing process).
Yeah, I'm having this problem now. I was initially taping my skates up pretty good when I started off last Fall in powerskating, until I was told they're actually supposed to have some looseness, so I stopped. Until my second real game a few months ago. I was skating like Bambie all game and couldn't realize why, until the last 5 minutes I realized my laces were too loose and tightened them up. After that I went back to the tape, I know it's bad and I should stop but there's a certain level of comfort there.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Blackjack

Again, others can chime in here, but I would just tell him that you're learning how to stop, and you want the skates to be able to shave the ice easier, similar to how a goalie's skates are sharpened. It's a fairly common request, if the guy looks at you crosseyed it may be time to use a different pro-shop.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:17 PM
mikeylikey

Quote:
Again, others can chime in here, but I would just tell him that you're learning how to stop, and you want the skates to be able to shave the ice easier, similar to how a goalie's skates are sharpened. It's a fairly common request, if the guy looks at you crosseyed it may be time to use a different pro-shop.
I will request that next time i'm in the shop. The guys at the shop at my rink have been more than helpful, and have spent a lot of time explaining things and answering my questions...so I don't think the shop guys will think this is a weird request.

Old
06-22-2008, 08:38 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Many of the games greatest pure skaters always taped their ankles.

Whatever works for you is fine.

Last edited by lextune: 06-23-2008 at 12:09 PM.
lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:10 AM
germanative

I played hockey in a competitive level and I have always taped my ankles.

Many pro players tape their ankles. If it works for them, it may work for you and me . Takes the way to where you're most at ease.

germanative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Danglous

I tape my ankles too, but dont tape them where they are 100% stiff. I usually tape them up and then roll my ankle both ways to stretch the tape out just a little bit. It works great for me.

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:16 AM
togahcky21

get the tape , wax it up , go a little heavier on the ankle of the blade and this my friends, is the ovechkin tape job

togahcky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:12 PM
GOONSQUAD

Send a message via AIM to GOONSQUAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ference View Post
get the tape , wax it up , go a little heavier on the ankle of the blade and this my friends, is the ovechkin tape job
What about the heel and the toe?

GOONSQUAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ference View Post
He's talking about taping his skates, not his stick.

Read the thread!

Back on topic...

I use the clear sock tape to my skates, I play defense and prefer the stiffness for ankle support when skating backwards. Just a few times around...nothing too crazy...and not too high up on the ankle.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:36 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I just tie my lace around my ankle, that's enough support for me.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikey View Post
Does anyone else here tape their skates? Or, can anyone recommend a pair of skates with good ankle support? Thanks for any advice!
Well, the main importance of not taping your skates it to give your skates the ability to do a "toe" flick at the end of your stride. This toe flick is going give you that extra something in your stride for power.

Plus, having this skate more flexible, you are able to work the inner egdes a little better for driving force in each stride.

Here's a good drill to help increase the strength in your ankles....

First Drill: Plus the net up and down the ice several time each practice.
Second Drill: Start at the goal line with a partner and one stick. Have your partner face you with his stick chest high. have him place his hands together on the stick at center and you place your hands towards the outside edges of the shaft for stability.

Then I want you to push your partner down the ice to the other end. Have your partner turn his skates a little for breaking. This will slow you down and add resistance. This will force you to use more of that inside edge to push him down the ice. Thus, increasing the strength of your ankles.

Hope this helps

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 03:19 PM
stick9

The tape will offer a little support but will restrict the natural forward movement in your skating stride.

I would caution against getting some sort of funky sharpening. You may end up having a tough time doing everything else. Just practice stopping when your skates are dull, or just ask for the shallowest hollow available next time you get them sharpened.

A deeper and stiffer boot is probably all you need.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Wantsumcheezwyrwine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikey View Post
I started a "Learn to Skate to Play Hockey" class about 2 months ago. I had been skating a few months prior to joining the class, but I was still pretty bad.

On the 3rd week of the class, we learned the hockey stop. I picked it up pretty quick, but at the end of the class, I tried to stop, then fell and sprained my ankle.

Before I got back on the ice, a guy in the pro shop said I should use "sock tape" to tape up my skates around the ankles for better support. I tried it, and it made a huge difference. The skates I have are a pair of pre-owned CCM skates, and they don't support my ankles very well. I was able to bend and roll my ankle the same as if I were wearing a pair of shoes. But now that I tape my skates, I am much more confident on the ice. I feel more stable, I can skate faster, and I can stop quicker.

Get a better pair of skates. Taping around your skates can worsen an injury not to mention in the even of an injury--you'll wind up buying a new pair of skates the moment the trainers have to cut them off. Save yourself the expense. There really is no difference--it's like spatting cleated shoes in football or hockey...mind over matter to make you think you are getting better support.

Wantsumcheezwyrwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 04:28 PM
Wantsumcheezwyrwine

Quote:

IF you have an athletic trainer on duty you can ask them the best was to stregthen your ankles. Balance/baps boards work great and simple calf stretching exercises work great too. Google is also a mighty powerful tool. If your ankles are weak--tape your ankles instead of the skates...but learn from someone how to--don't just wing it...you can hurt yourself or get blisters. See if your rink offers power stroking classes. Also, aw funky tool that's not commonly known is called a Skate Spinner. It's a mini balance board thing..that works like a charm. It will also help with balance.

Old
06-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantsumcheezwyrwine View Post
See if your rink offers power stroking classes.

Old
06-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Wantsumcheezwyrwine

Power stroking--AKA Speed!!!!! These classes are designed for strength and conditioning and will help stregthen week ankles. They ususally have an off ice corresponding course too.

Old
06-25-2008, 08:36 AM
GOONSQUAD

Send a message via AIM to GOONSQUAD
Laura Stamm

Quote:
Power stroking--AKA Speed!!!!! These classes are designed for strength and conditioning and will help stregthen week ankles. They ususally have an off ice corresponding course too.
http://www.laurastamm.com/

GOONSQUAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Ron Jovi

by taping your ankles outside the skate you are reducing the ability to flex forward. You need to be able to flex forward to be in the correct stance to skate properly (knees over toes). A better idea would be to tape your ankles up prior to lacing up.
also, if you are using used skates - they may not fit correctly.
if you plan on playing often, getting a correct skate fit is probably the most important thing when it comes to equipment

Ron Jovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:13 PM
deanosaur

Building up the ankle muscle can also help support it. If that makes anysense someone should be able to clarify my point.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 09:40 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Also, aw funky tool that's not commonly known is called a Skate Spinner. It's a mini balance board thing..that works like a charm. It will also help with balance.
Just curious... what do you do with the Skate Spinner for hockey? I figure skated, so I'm familiar with using one to practice spins and turns, but I didn't know there was other stuff you could do with it.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote