HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why can't legwand score?

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2004, 02:33 PM
chuckie

vCash: 500
Why can't legwand score?

With the whole team stepping up this year, with many players improving this year,like erat, arkipov etc and also having aj healthy now, why has legwand dissapeared this year.he was breaking out last year until the injury, but he has taken a step back in the wrong direction this year.Is it his work ethic? hockey sense?He doesn't seem like he wants to be that leader type guy and take his game to the next level?I know he is still young, but he has been in the league for a while now, and many prospects have passed him or will be passing him if he continues on this way, he is running out of excuses as far as i'm concerned. Any ideas ,input...?

Old
02-15-2004, 02:47 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
[QUOTE=chuckie] he is running out of excuses as far as i'm concerned.QUOTE]

I feel that people have been making too many excuses for him since he's been here. (Ronning holds him back, AJ is not healthy). He just shows no motivation night in and night out.

Old
02-15-2004, 02:49 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie
With the whole team stepping up this year, with many players improving this year,like erat, arkipov etc and also having aj healthy now, why has legwand dissapeared this year.he was breaking out last year until the injury, but he has taken a step back in the wrong direction this year.Is it his work ethic? hockey sense?He doesn't seem like he wants to be that leader type guy and take his game to the next level?I know he is still young, but he has been in the league for a while now, and many prospects have passed him or will be passing him if he continues on this way, he is running out of excuses as far as i'm concerned. Any ideas ,input...?
off subject, but...arkhipov is improving?????

Old
02-15-2004, 02:50 PM
jstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
off subject, but...arkhipov is improving?????
well he cant be getting worse.

Old
02-15-2004, 02:57 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars
well he cant be getting worse.
since last season he has, but he can't get any worse than he has been this year

Old
02-15-2004, 03:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

he's a setup\defensive center that chips in occasional goals. complain all you want, he's still near the top of the team in points.

Old
02-15-2004, 04:12 PM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
he's a setup\defensive center that chips in occasional goals. complain all you want, he's still near the top of the team in points.
As the No. 2 pick in the draft he should be at the TOP. He wasn't a defensive/setup man in juniors. Just because Trotz made him a well rounded player didn't take his offensive skills away.

Old
02-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuithead
As the No. 2 pick in the draft he should be at the TOP. He wasn't a defensive/setup man in juniors. Just because Trotz made him a well rounded player didn't take his offensive skills away.
Actually, I'm not so sure about that. Almost 5 years of neglect and restriction in the offensive end, can shore up the offensive instincts in a player. I think its still there, but he is struggling to put the puck in the net right now. I'm not worried though. I think David has been playing decently lately. He'll find the net, and hopefully, it will be in the playoffs.

Old
02-15-2004, 06:11 PM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Actually, I'm not so sure about that. Almost 5 years of neglect and restriction in the offensive end, can shore up the offensive instincts in a player. I think its still there, but he is struggling to put the puck in the net right now. I'm not worried though. I think David has been playing decently lately. He'll find the net, and hopefully, it will be in the playoffs.
I'm not sure how it's been 5 years of neglect. It's not like he's ever been told not to score! Plus, he played one game in '98. They cleared out Ronning in, what, 01-02? to give David even more icetime and control of the PP. He's been given the green light for at least 2 years. He showed signs last year but continues to be inconsistent.

Old
02-15-2004, 06:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuithead
I'm not sure how it's been 5 years of neglect. It's not like he's ever been told not to score! Plus, he played one game in '98. They cleared out Ronning in, what, 01-02? to give David even more icetime and control of the PP. He's been given the green light for at least 2 years. He showed signs last year but continues to be inconsistent.

but aren't you an arkhipov apologist?

Old
02-15-2004, 07:44 PM
jstreet

Quote:

on topic - Legwand needs a new home.

Old
02-15-2004, 07:47 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
on topic - Legwand needs a new home.

you're right. arkhipov or johnson can step up to first line duties.

Old
02-15-2004, 07:53 PM
jstreet

Quote:
We can talk about slumps and points and numbers all night long., the thing that kills me about Legwand is watching him skate around like he is incapable of giving more than %60 while the rest of the team is busting their humps to make things happen.

Old
02-15-2004, 07:55 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
Wait, we are talking about Legwand here. I signed in to make a thread about how I felt he was past due to step up and be THE GUY! Comparing Arkhipov's progress to Legwand's is an apples to oranges analogy. Legwand was a #2 pick. Arkhipov was a 3rd round pick, # 60 I believe. So I think it is legitimate to expect more from Leggy by now. Legwand has played 4+ years now. And he did not have to deal with the cultural limitations.

At this point, I am extremely disappointed that he seems to have fallen back into pre-2002 mode. I can't imagine I am the only one. The team needs him to step forward and be THE MAN. So why doesn't he??

Old
02-15-2004, 07:57 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

well, for "floating" today, he had 7 shots on goal, which is the most anyone has had all year.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I really disagree that he is playing bad right now. He has stepped his game significantly since Trotz had a talk with him back in early January. THe whole team is struggling to score goals right now, its not just one man. Hartnell is just now getting back on track for example. Legwand is shooting the puck a LOT more, whereas earlier this season, we were crucifying him for always passing it. Part of the problem this year, is that the Predators have a lot of pressure on them for one of the first times in their history. Last year, we had such a bad start that the guys had fun out there, and Vokoun almost carried us to the playoffs. This year we are contendors, and people are keying in on Legwand and getting pumped to play us. It doesn't help when we have one of the worst PP setups in the league...I think Legwand still has the skills, and he will score the goals for us. Just do not expect 90 points of anyone, anytime soon on the Predators......at least not with the game the way it is now. Maybe the rule changes will increase offense, but until then, we are still a hockey club that relies on hard-work and effort on getting the goals, rather then a finesse goal scorer.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:54 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Truthfully, yes, most of the centers in the legaue could've stepped into a first line center role and delivered what Legwand has delivered this year. If you want to put things in perspective, put them in REAL prespective. Don't compare his numbers to 3rd line cetners. Legwand is one of the least productive first line centers in the league. End of story.

What has Legwand delivered?

1) He's a floater. You're kidding yourself if you think other wise. He plays with no intensity. He rarely goes into high traffic areas. He's weak. He floats around the ice all game long.

2) He has to be one of the worst turnover players in the league. Everytime he touches the puck, it's almost a given that the opposition is going to break it up. It's horrible.

3) His offensive abilities just aren't that good. A lot of of his points are "ghost" points, meaning he didn't do much to make the play happen, but his name appeared on the score sheet. That's what happens when you get first line center time with ample powerplay time. Thank God Trotz has started giving him less PP time. He is horrible.

I'm sure I'll get bombed for this, but I really don't care. Last year, I said that Legwand was a good player, but that he would never be a great player. This year, I'm more inclined to say that Legwand is a average player at best, and will never be a good player.

Old
02-15-2004, 10:41 PM
Radulov for Czar*

and how many of those 7 were quality shots?

Old
02-15-2004, 10:45 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

3 of them.

Old
02-15-2004, 10:48 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Until someone else breaks out in Trotz' system, I'm not labeling anyone "average" or a bust. As far as Legwand floating all the time, that's a joke, he's the best backchecker on the team, that's all about hard work and hustle, Arkhipov floats, Legwand doesn't.

Old
02-15-2004, 11:08 PM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Until someone else breaks out in Trotz' system, I'm not labeling anyone "average" or a bust. As far as Legwand floating all the time, that's a joke, he's the best backchecker on the team, that's all about hard work and hustle, Arkhipov floats, Legwand doesn't.
Agreed. A player that backchecks as hard as Legwand could hardly be considered a "floater".
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=52096 It appears other fans are equally impressed with Legwand's defensive awareness as well.

Old
02-15-2004, 11:10 PM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrocketman
Wait, we are talking about Legwand here. I signed in to make a thread about how I felt he was past due to step up and be THE GUY! Comparing Arkhipov's progress to Legwand's is an apples to oranges analogy. Legwand was a #2 pick. Arkhipov was a 3rd round pick, # 60 I believe.
Draft position really has nothing to do with how well on plays in the NHL.

Old
02-16-2004, 12:54 AM
jstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1
Draft position really has nothing to do with how well on plays in the NHL.
might be true, however, you dont draft a number 1 with the hope of him becoming a player with average numbers and what would seem to be a lack of passion on many nights.

Old
02-16-2004, 06:56 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

nashville v. columbus tonight.

legwand will score.

Old
02-16-2004, 07:51 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
might be true, however, you dont draft a number 1 with the hope of him becoming a player with average numbers and what would seem to be a lack of passion on many nights.
That is exactly what I meant.
No, expectations don't translate into reality every time. There are plenty of examples over the years of #1 or 2 choices that never became even average NHL players. But as a rule, the top 2 become really solid players. I don't think that is too much to ask.

And I am not high on Arkhipov based on the last season and a half, either. So I was not saying Arkhipov was better or more talented. Just trying to contrast expectations...

Closed Thread