HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Relocation?

Old
06-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Booth10

vCash: 500
Relocation?

Bad word: Bettman said a dirty word Thursday that you rarely hear him say: "Relocation." In answering a question on NHL expansion, Bettman told the lunch guests he wants to make sure all 30 NHL clubs are healthy before the league contemplates expansion. If any of the clubs are in dire financial straits (i.e. some of the teams in the Eastern Conference's Southeast Division), Bettman said "that might necessitate, at some point in time ... the possibility of relocation." But moving a team in trouble will depend on the new owner, the market and the arena it could be going to, he added. Bettman said he agreed with Senators general manager Bryan Murray that there are cities in Canada that could support a franchise.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:53 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Booth10, you are just going to drive yourself nuts if you are going to fall for what the Canadian media says. It's Sunday, dude, they needed a story. In that article, I'm sure Bettman also mentioned the word "the". It's no big deal. If you've noticed, there was a lot of conjecture thrown around Bettman's statement and some of those alleged statements weren't really direct quotes. The Canadian media is at it again.

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 07:57 AM
blackpanthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
But moving a team in trouble will depend on the new owner
That sounds to me like he could be talking about Tampa since they are the only team with a new owner.

blackpanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:00 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Also, I take it you are quoting GHOSTofMAROONSroad. Here is the actual article:

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...5-02953ae7faba

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 08:07 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth10 View Post
Bad word: Bettman said a dirty word Thursday that you rarely hear him say: "Relocation." In answering a question on NHL expansion, Bettman told the lunch guests he wants to make sure all 30 NHL clubs are healthy before the league contemplates expansion. If any of the clubs are in dire financial straits (i.e. some of the teams in the Eastern Conference's Southeast Division), Bettman said "that might necessitate, at some point in time ... the possibility of relocation." But moving a team in trouble will depend on the new owner, the market and the arena it could be going to, he added. Bettman said he agreed with Senators general manager Bryan Murray that there are cities in Canada that could support a franchise.
Ahhhh yes, editorial conjecture at its finest. Putting words in the mouths of people that were in no way actually spoken by them. This is the typical move for the Canadian media sadly, trying to put context behind a statement that was intentionally vague, and of course choosing the "least traditional" markets to make some noise about. For all we know they could be talking about the Isles with all the problems they've had with their arena issue. Really I'd say don't worry about it man, it's a weekly occurance for the media up there to try to fire up the relocation bandwaggon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16 View Post
Also, I take it you are quoting GHOSTofMAROONSroad. Here is the actual article:

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...5-02953ae7faba
Ahh yes, the standard barrer of the "down with the south, we need teams in Mosse Jaw and Yellowknife" contingent of HF. Take absolutely nothing GoMr says seriously, he makes himself sound like he knows a lot but he's no different then anyone else pushing these rediculous relocation ideas.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Georgia Panther

There's no chance the Panthers could move, long term ironclad lease but I sure would be in favor of relocating JM to Moose Jaw!!!

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 10:35 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
We have 20 years on our contract.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 10:41 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
There's no chance the Panthers could move, long term ironclad lease but I sure would be in favor of relocating JM to Moose Jaw!!!
I don't know about ironclad agreements with public entities. Broward county has already helped twice Panthers with building, first when they refinanced mortgage and now with insurance.
I wonder if anybody can locate actual lease agreement, I think it has to be somewhere in county's web site.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 10:49 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Yeah, never heard of anyone getting out of a lease...

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
Yeah, never heard of anyone getting out of a lease...
Depends on how good a lawyer they have and how much legal fees they're willing to spend not to mention the damages they'll have to pay. See Seattle and the SuperSonics which are in court right now.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 10:54 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Depends on how good a lawyer they have and how much legal fees they're willing to spend not to mention the damages they'll have to pay. See Seattle and the SuperSonics which are in court right now.
There seems to be this idea that if you sign a lease you can't get out of it so the Panthers are 100% staying here. I would put it more around 90%

Old
06-22-2008, 11:15 AM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
There seems to be this idea that if you sign a lease you can't get out of it so the Panthers are 100% staying here. I would put it more around 90%
I think the Panthers will always stay in South Florida...aslong as I life atleast lol.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
I would put it around 100% since the new owner would have to pay whatever fees the NHL charges to relocate, plus a huge penalty to the government to move it. Someone wants to move this team, it'll cost a fortune. Not likely, I'm sure.

06-22-2008, 12:25 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I would put it around 100% since the new owner would have to pay whatever fees the NHL charges to relocate, plus a huge penalty to the government to move it. Someone wants to move this team, it'll cost a fortune. Not likely, I'm sure.
I'm curious for what the costs would come out to...

Old
06-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
I'm curious for what the costs would come out to...
I actually have no idea, nor do I know how to find any of them. It just doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that when the government forks over a ton to help build an arena and makes the team sign a lease to the lenght of 30 years that to break the lease ain't gonna be cheap. At least not right now anyway, maybe when there's 5 or so years left.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Just curious but how long has the team been in that facility?

I'm sure most lease agreements have a buy-out clause at a certain point (say with 10 yrs remaining) that would make it easier to get out of the lease for both parties. I could see that happening because the team itself doesnt make much money but the arena does. If the team broke the lease agreement, the facility would go back to the county which could use it to make money on all the concerts and events there besides hockey which currently goes to the SSE.

It may be in both parties best interest to separate at some point so dont make it out like its impossible to see the team move at some point before that lease is up.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 03:01 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Just curious but how long has the team been in that facility?

I'm sure most lease agreements have a buy-out clause at a certain point (say with 10 yrs remaining) that would make it easier to get out of the lease for both parties. I could see that happening because the team itself doesnt make much money but the arena does. If the team broke the lease agreement, the facility would go back to the county which could use it to make money on all the concerts and events there besides hockey which currently goes to the SSE.

It may be in both parties best interest to separate at some point so dont make it out like its impossible to see the team move at some point before that lease is up.
10 years.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote