HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bouwmeester

Old
06-30-2008, 10:27 AM
IceBreaker

vCash: 500
Bouwmeester

My understanding is that Bouw is an RFA tomorrow, and he is eligible for arbitration.

After today, is arbitration out the window? I am guessing that if Bouw receives an offer sheet, the Panthers can't respond by filing for arbitration.

Anyone out there in Pantherland have some insight or info here?

IceBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBreaker View Post
My understanding is that Bouw is an RFA tomorrow, and he is eligible for arbitration.

After today, is arbitration out the window? I am guessing that if Bouw receives an offer sheet, the Panthers can't respond by filing for arbitration.

Anyone out there in Pantherland have some insight or info here?
From the CBA

If a player has recieved a qualifying offer, and then not accepted it:

"A Club electing salary arbitration pursuant to Section 12.3(b) [player has not signed a qualifying offer] above, must
do so by making a written request, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereto, utilizing the form
attached hereto as Exhibit 22 by facsimile to the parties listed in Section (c) below,
during the period commencing upon the Player's deadline to select salary arbitration and
continuing for 24 hours thereafter (i.e., commencing July 5 at 5:00 p.m. New York time
and ending July 6 at 5:00 p.m. New York time
)."

If that helps any. It still doesn't clarify whether or not offer sheets cancel out arbitration.

This might help:

"Notwithstanding the foregoing, if a Group 2 Player requests
salary arbitration, or a Club requests salary arbitration, pursuant to Article
12, such Player will not be eligible to negotiate with any Club other than
his Prior Club or sign an Offer Sheet pursuant to this Article 10, except as
provided in Section 12.10."

Last edited by Pukboy5kroner: 06-30-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
I believe arbitration is out of the picture because we already took Bouwmeester there once. Why dont we just ponny up 5M$ per season for 8 years already

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
I believe arbitration is out of the picture because we already took Bouwmeester there once. Why dont we just ponny up 5M$ per season for 8 years already
1. I believe a team can only take a player once, and a player can only take a team once so that would leave the possibility of Bouwmeester taking the team to arbitration.
2. Bouw and his agent will laugh in our face if we only offered 5 million.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
I think he wants more than five, closer to six and a half, which would place him over the Phaneuf range and make it more worth trading him.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 04:03 PM
homegrizown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
I think he wants more than five, closer to six and a half, which would place him over the Phaneuf range and make it more worth trading him.
i would sign bo for 6.5 for 10 years i don't care. he is the most important player on this team right now.

i mean i know it's cohen but at the meeting a few months ago he basically said whatever the price he'd pay. obviously top dollar of 11 point w/e i think we'd walk but i don't think anyone would pay over 6.5-7 for the guy. i believe cohen and martin would do 6.5 it's jsut would bo want the 6.5 long term with us

homegrizown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrizown View Post
i would sign bo for 6.5 for 10 years i don't care. he is the most important player on this team right now.

i mean i know it's cohen but at the meeting a few months ago he basically said whatever the price he'd pay. obviously top dollar of 11 point w/e i think we'd walk but i don't think anyone would pay over 6.5-7 for the guy. i believe cohen and martin would do 6.5 it's jsut would bo want the 6.5 long term with us
No.

I don't think JBo ever planned to stay with the Panthers past free agency. Not from the day he was drafted. Obviously I'm making a big statement with no factual backup, but I've never gotten the impression from Bouwmeester that he was happy to be a Panther.

06-30-2008, 04:12 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

From what I've heard, it sounds like Jay/the Panthers might be waiting for the RFA period to determine his value from other teams doing offersheets. I tried to get info on whether or not Jay likes Florida or wants to stay there, but I can't seem to get an answer.

Unfortunately this is all the information I have on the subject.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Pukboy5kroner

If the team already took him to arbitration, that's not an option, as Mogo said.

Old
06-30-2008, 04:25 PM
homegrizown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
From what I've heard, it sounds like Jay/the Panthers might be waiting for the RFA period to determine his value from other teams doing offersheets. I tried to get info on whether or not Jay likes Florida or wants to stay there, but I can't seem to get an answer.

i asked george richards once. he stated that bo likes it here but prob. not enough to want to stay and the obviousness of him saying he wants to win points to him wanting to go somewhere with a winning tradition and the expectation of cup ever year where right now we're just let's make the playoffs.

Old
06-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
No.

I don't think JBo ever planned to stay with the Panthers past free agency. Not from the day he was drafted. Obviously I'm making a big statement with no factual backup, but I've never gotten the impression from Bouwmeester that he was happy to be a Panther.
You're not the only one man. I've said this numerous times. As a matter of fact, I actually think he wants to go back to Edmonton and I think it shows because whenever we play Edmonton (or even Calgary), Bouw seems to step his game up an extra notch.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Georgia Panther

Not to open an old arguement, but why not, Rick Nash, who is plenty happy in that traditional hockey town of Columbus, Ohio, would have been a better draft pick and I partly blame Keenan for that with a larger portion of the blame going to DQD for not only picking the wrong player but pissing him off by dealing out of the first pick of the draft.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Not to open an old arguement, but why not, Rick Nash, who is plenty happy in that traditional hockey town of Columbus, Ohio, would have been a better draft pick and I partly blame Keenan for that with a larger portion of the blame going to DQD for not only picking the wrong player but pissing him off by dealing out of the first pick of the draft.
I've said this a million times. duds mismanaged two number one picks, made meaningless trades out of the first picks for nothing, and in the process pissed off Jay. We should have taken nash and Staal. Imagine where we would be with two conerstone offensive superstars like that? Instead we have an underachieving Horton and an overrated Bouw who will leave anyway.

Old
06-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post

The only reason this seems "off" to me is that you have to figure that Martin would open up the checkbook and have JB signed if that's what JB wanted. I can't beleive this is bickering over what's a "fair" contract - it's about if JB wants to stay in FLA for the long term. If he wants to play somewhere else, there's no way he's going to sign a long term offersheet, because he knows that FLA would very likely match.

Someone on the main board made a great point - a team could offer a 1 year offersheet for $5.2M. The Panthers would REALLY be in a bind because if they match the offersheet, they are unable to trade him for 1 year, so they couldn't trade him at the deadline no matter what. If the Panthers don't match, they get a 1st, 2nd & 3rd round DP as compensation, but that probably less than they get at the trade deadline if JB is a rental. It makes sense for the other team because they get JB for a full year, and can try to lock him up before he becomes a UFA.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Slick Cat

There is absolutely no reason for him to sign an offer sheet, knowing that we can match, unless it is an outrageous offer. He wants to leave and he can go on his own to wherever he wants next year, so one more year in hockey irrelevance and he is free to go. Our best bet is to trade him now. We should have explored trading him to Edomonton but thye just got a top d man. Detroit has some good trading chips in Kronwall, Franzen and Fillipula. They might consider trading Kronwall and Franzen since both of their values are high right now, but the long term value of Bouw is higher for them with Lidstrom and Chelios and even Rafalski gettting older.

Old
06-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Slick Cat

Question. If a team signes him to an offer sheet, which probably won't happen, can we trade him during that decision period?

Old
06-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Question. If a team signes him to an offer sheet, which probably won't happen, can we trade him during that decision period?
I do not beleive so. As soon as there is an offersheet registered with the NHL front office - the only decision is to match or not.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
I'm not completely sold on Nash until he develops more than a one-way game, but I can't argue with the rest of it. But sign o' the times. I suppose if we hadn't drafted JBo the Panthers would have still been looking for a #1 dman for the past 6 years. We definitely needed him in 2002. Problem is, this organization was run like crap for that first 3 years of Cohen's ownership because he couldn't stop himself from meddling, and as much as anything that had to sour JBo on the whole Panther experience.

Now he's finally settling into being an owner, I think, instead of a shadow-GM. He seems to be realizing he hasn't got the hockey expertise to make smart decisions.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Panthers_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I do not beleive so. As soon as there is an offersheet registered with the NHL front office - the only decision is to match or not.
Wow I forgot about the no trade thing for offer sheets. So If a team offers him a one year deal tomorrow, they are basically giving the finger to the Panthers. As our only option would be then to resign him which doesn't look likely. Damm I hope that's not how it goes down.

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
No, you can't trade a player after he recieves an offer sheet. The team can only matched it, or take the compensational picks.

Old
06-30-2008, 08:03 PM
kyle747

Ottawa really need a quality defenseman having lost both Redden and Chara in recent years -same way you are losing Jaybo so I sympathize. We would certainly offer a competitive package for a player like JB.

What the hell is Jacques waiting for in trading this guy ? Teams will have no cap room left and you'll be reduced to crappy offers.

If he thinks he'll get more at the trade deadline he's nuts ! Thats when he should have traded Ollie last year, teams were willing to give up the farm for him. Elite defensemen command less than forwards at the deadline I've noticed.

You guys have been ill-served by your Ottawa duo of Jacques and Randy Sexton. Your going to lose this guy to UFA like we did with our top guys and that really sucks, trust me.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Less than 2 1/2 hours to go till FA begins. JM better pull a rabbit out of the hat here pretty soon and either get Jaybo signed or if he doesn't want to sign trade him for some scoring and then sign Redden & Montador!

Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 08:46 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Less than 2 1/2 hours to go till FA begins. JM better pull a rabbit out of the hat here pretty soon and either get Jaybo signed or if he doesn't want to sign trade him for some scoring and then sign Redden & Montador!
You guys have lots of cap room don't you? You should sign Hossa & Sundin. Instant contenders.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 09:04 PM
homegrizown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
You guys have lots of cap room don't you? You should sign Hossa & Sundin. Instant contenders.
somewhat only problem is we are only gonna spend about 50 and if bouw resigns for say 6 that puts us real close to 50

Old
06-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrizown View Post
somewhat only problem is we are only gonna spend about 50 and if bouw resigns for say 6 that puts us real close to 50
yeah! If our owner would only pony up some $$$Mula to go at least to $55 Mil we could be a really great team next year! Then JM can trade Van Ryn for picks/prospect & we'd have about $9 Mil to go after Hossa!

Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote