HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Pittsburgh/Toronto 09 offseason trade

Old
06-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Azura

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
Only on HF would a player selected #2 overall who has developed very well and been an integral part of a Cup Final team at 19 be considered not enough to yield a player selected #5 mere days ago.
This has nothing to do with Schenn vs. Staal but with the fact that the Leafs would be incredibly stupid to do it. They just drafted Luke and he is going to be a cornerstone for our team from the sounds of it. They want him to be part of their future so why does this thread even exist? I don't care what Staal's done or not done; Schenn is a Leaf and I hope to see him as one for years to come.

Azura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 04:14 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azura View Post
This has nothing to do with Schenn vs. Staal but with the fact that the Leafs would be incredibly stupid to do it. They just drafted Luke and he is going to be a cornerstone for our team from the sounds of it. They want him to be part of their future so why does this thread even exist? I don't care what Staal's done or not done; Schenn is a Leaf and I hope to see him as one for years to come.
I agree it is stupid to even talk about trades like this but I am sure team's could get Schenn from the Leafs for less than Staal. It is not like Schenn is untouchable. That said I don't think the Leafs are looking to get rid of Schenn. Just looking at it value wise I don't think it is close. Staal was 2nd overall and chosen ahead of some very good prospects like Toews, Backstrom, and Kessel. Shero said during his interview after the draft that he picked Staal because he thought he had the most upside of that group. He said Staal was the farthest away from the NHL of that group and was one of the youngest players in that draft (almost a full year younger than several of the players in that draft). So Staal has proven to be far ahead of what Shero thought he would be at this point.

I just don't see why he would think of trading his 2nd overall pick that has surpassed his expectations at this time in his development for the 5th overall pick that has not even proven he is an NHL player yet. You have heard of draft busts have you not? Even high picks that don't become complete busts like Falloon, Bonsignore, Fata, and Daigle you still have the guys that just become average NHL players that were drafted high like Bonk, Kilger, Stefan, and Stuart.

Why you think Shero would trade Staal for this is beyond me. Staal has proven he can score 29 goals as the youngest player ever to score a hat trick in the NHL. He did this while playing on the 4th line for the first 30+ games and then playing a position he never played before (LW) for the rest of the games on our 2nd line. Not bad, and don't look at last years #'s and worry. Put Staal with other top 6 forwards and he will produce. Last year we played him with guys like Ruutu who has never scored more than 17 points in any season and a rookie in TK who scored 19 points. Playing with linemates like that and getting no playing time on the top PP will knock anyones #'s in half compared to putting them with top 6 forwards and # 1 PP time.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
If he was, there would be more interest in him than anyone on the Oilers

Both haven't proven anything in the NHL yet. It's kind of a blind trade. Could Staal produce with 2nd or even 1st line icetime? Not sure if it's worth the risk for either team.

I wouldn't do it.
I think you'd find more interest in gagner than Schenn. Schenn has a lot of upside but hasn't proven anythign other than he can kiss butt in Toronto. Gagner has already proven he can play in the NHL. As of now Gagner>>>>>Schenn but who knows what will happen in the future.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 04:34 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
I agree it is stupid to even talk about trades like this but I am sure team's could get Schenn from the Leafs for less than Staal. It is not like Schenn is untouchable. That said I don't think the Leafs are looking to get rid of Schenn. Just looking at it value wise I don't think it is close. Staal was 2nd overall and chosen ahead of some very good prospects like Toews, Backstrom, and Kessel. Shero said during his interview after the draft that he picked Staal because he thought he had the most upside of that group. He said Staal was the farthest away from the NHL of that group and was one of the youngest players in that draft (almost a full year younger than several of the players in that draft). So Staal has proven to be far ahead of what Shero thought he would be at this point.

I just don't see why he would think of trading his 2nd overall pick that has surpassed his expectations at this time in his development for the 5th overall pick that has not even proven he is an NHL player yet. You have heard of draft busts have you not? Even high picks that don't become complete busts like Falloon, Bonsignore, Fata, and Daigle you still have the guys that just become average NHL players that were drafted high like Bonk, Kilger, Stefan, and Stuart.

Why you think Shero would trade Staal for this is beyond me. Staal has proven he can score 29 goals as the youngest player ever to score a hat trick in the NHL. He did this while playing on the 4th line for the first 30+ games and then playing a position he never played before (LW) for the rest of the games on our 2nd line. Not bad, and don't look at last years #'s and worry. Put Staal with other top 6 forwards and he will produce. Last year we played him with guys like Ruutu who has never scored more than 17 points in any season and a rookie in TK who scored 19 points. Playing with linemates like that and getting no playing time on the top PP will knock anyones #'s in half compared to putting them with top 6 forwards and # 1 PP time.
I didn't read this whole post, but I agree neither team would pull the trigger. It wouldn't make sense for either team. Toronto traded up for Luke Schenn, and right now, its looking like he will be a cornerstone of the team.

He has great upside, and one of the safest bets in the 2008 draft. Scouts have said that he is the most defensively gifted prospect to come out of a draft in over a decade, and I think it will be worth it if the Leafs wait for Schenn to fully develop into the type of defenseman he will become in the future.

Quote:
I don't think so. I think Shero laughs and hangs up the phone.

Shero was offered Jack Johnson and another player for Staal and turned it down. Johnson was a higher rated dman than Schenn. Like I just said in the last post. Shero picked Staal 2nd overall even though he thought he was the farthest away of the other top 5 prospects which we are talking some pretty good players (Toews, Backstrom, and Kessel picked after Staal). Shero felt those guys would develop faster but Staal would be the best of those guys in the long run. Shero did not even believe Staal would be in the NHL yet so why would he be looking to get rid of a player that far exceeded his wildest dreams on draft day.

I am sure he still values Staal higher than Backstrom, Toews, and Kessel so I don't think he would trade him for a player picked 5th overall and the all great 2nd round pick.
No way in hell does Staal get picked over Toews if the 2008 draft is to be redone. Infact, Jordan regrssed significently offensively in the 07-08 season but was spectacular defensively. But you don't choose him over a guy like Toews, who is exceptional offensively and defensively. And, IMO, Pittsburgh would've been better off FOR THE FUTURE if they had let Staal develop 1 more year in the O, and then bring him up.

O, and, Cliff also hangs up the phone FYI.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 04:57 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
If the Pens, for one reason or another, can't afford Jordan Staal:

Staal for
Schenn + a 2nd
how 'bout 'no thank you'

shutdown defencemen are rare.....

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:06 PM
backs4mvp

Quote:
I don't think so. I think Shero laughs and hangs up the phone.

Shero was offered Jack Johnson and another player for Staal and turned it down. Johnson was a higher rated dman than Schenn. Like I just said in the last post. Shero picked Staal 2nd overall even though he thought he was the farthest away of the other top 5 prospects which we are talking some pretty good players (Toews, Backstrom, and Kessel picked after Staal). Shero felt those guys would develop faster but Staal would be the best of those guys in the long run. Shero did not even believe Staal would be in the NHL yet so why would he be looking to get rid of a player that far exceeded his wildest dreams on draft day.

I am sure he still values Staal higher than Backstrom, Toews, and Kessel so I don't think he would trade him for a player picked 5th overall and the all great 2nd round pick.
That would just tell me Shero is an idiot.

It's not like he assembled a great team... the team assembled itself by losing and landing four #1/2 picks, and a #5 pick.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:29 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
I didn't read this whole post...
Most people don't. He writes novels.

If Leafs fans feel like inflating Schenn this much already...cool...we finally have someone we can compare to Carey Price.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:39 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
how 'bout 'no thank you'

shutdown defencemen are rare.....
The only thing he's shutdown so far is some skinny children in junior.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:43 PM
WJF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Most people don't. He writes novels.

If Leafs fans feel like inflating Schenn this much already...cool...we finally have someone we can compare to Carey Price.
Price - Montreal fans
Schenn - TO fans
Staal - Pittsburgh fans
Kesler - Vancouver
Gagner - Edmonton

If you listened to the fans, you'd think you can build a dynasty with these clowns.

WJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:53 PM
SlyGuy

Why do people even bother with trade proposals here? Everyone over-values their own team's players....

Team A offers Player X for Player Y to team B

Team A Fan: Player X is way too much to pay for Player Y. Our GM laughs and hangs up the phone

Team B Fan: I would do this if they replaced Player X with (name of a superstar on Team A) and added a 1st. Otherwise, no deal.

It's just kinda stupid, isn't it?

SlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:57 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyGuy View Post
Why do people even bother with trade proposals here? Everyone over-values their own team's players....

Team A offers Player X for Player Y to team B

Team A Fan: Player X is way too much to pay for Player Y. Our GM laughs and hangs up the phone

Team B Fan: I would do this if they replaced Player X with (name of a superstar on Team A) and added a 1st. Otherwise, no deal.

It's just kinda stupid, isn't it?
Pretty true.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote