HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2008-2009 Buffalo Sabres Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
I'd forgotten about Byron. Despite his limitations I think he's played himself into a contract, much like Dylan Hunter did. Speaking of which, that guy's rookie deal is up....
Eh. I think Byron is the superior player of the two, not just offensively.

04-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by amherst84 View Post
The UVM-BU game last night was one of the best college games I have watched all year. In fact it was probably one of the better hockey games at any level I have seen...I dont know if anyone else would agree here but sometimes when you watch a good college game it makes you wonder how people stomach the NHL...

as for MacKenzie...did anyone else think he looked small out there? I know he is 6'2 200lbs., but he looked little compared to his defence partner and the BU forwards.
I remember feeling that way after watching some of Gerbe's games. I believe it was the Semi-final game either the year he won the championship or the year Kennedy won it, when they had a nice trading of goals at the end of it and Gerbe had a hat-trick. It was Gerbe scoring and then the other team, but Gerbe had the last goal into the empty net. Great game, I remember saying that night that that kid was going to be good.

Old
04-11-2009, 12:51 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Not that this means anything of course...but Andrew Orpik won last night's Hardest Shot at the NCAA skills challenge at 88.8 MPH.

Old
04-12-2009, 02:25 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
Not that this means anything of course...but Andrew Orpik won last night's Hardest Shot at the NCAA skills challenge at 88.8 MPH.
Has anyone heard if Orpik will be signed?

Old
04-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
Has anyone heard if Orpik will be signed?

Nothing yet. He doesn't fit the mold -- he's got size, plays a bit of a tougher game and needs to work on his skating. They need to get some "big" in places, rather than waiting for a single perfect candidate.

Old
04-12-2009, 07:57 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Nothing yet. He doesn't fit the mold -- he's got size, plays a bit of a tougher game and needs to work on his skating. They need to get some "big" in places, rather than waiting for a single perfect candidate.
And if how he played at the rookie camp last year was an indication, he's too strong along the boards for this team.

Old
04-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
And if how he played at the rookie camp last year was an indication, he's too strong along the boards for this team.
Exactly. Besides, the way he, Schutz and VanGroder fell instantly into a 1-2-2 in the scrimmages and kept hemming people in... meh. Can't have that. Someone who knows how to defend from the opposition end all the way to his own crease? Fffttt. No place in the development world for that.

Old
04-12-2009, 07:35 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Cons: Orpik is too big.

Pros: He lives in Amherst/Williamsville and used to cut Darryl Sittler's lawn.

Major Pros: Neil Smith will send a recommendation to Quinn to sign Orpik.

Old
04-15-2009, 02:12 AM
ColonelForbin

Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but what is the likely situation with Ennis next season?

Is he likely to be signed and play in Portland? Is he young enough to continue on in the minors? Any chance he makes the Sabres out of camp?

Thanks.

Old
04-15-2009, 02:55 AM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Ennis will be 20 in early October...I would think his destination is going to be Portland. He has played four years in the WHL.

Old
04-15-2009, 03:12 AM
SwissButch
in CA OCT-NOV '12

Why don't they sign him to a ATO and send him to Portland? I don't get it

Old
04-15-2009, 01:39 PM
hockey18

why haven't they signed scheistel and brennan and send them up to Portland? The experience would be great . Do anyone think either or both won't be signed?

Old
04-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
why haven't they signed scheistel and brennan and send them up to Portland? The experience would be great . Do anyone think either or both won't be signed?
I expect both to be signed, and Ennis as well.

Old
04-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Eugfest

where do you guys predict Myers be next year?

Old
04-15-2009, 03:52 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugfest View Post
where do you guys predict Myers be next year?
Back in the CHL most likely. It's either Sabres or Juniors, he'd still be too young for the AHL.

Old
04-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Eugfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Back in the CHL most likely. It's either Sabres or Juniors, he'd still be too young for the AHL.
what are the chances of him making the sabres roster? it's not like you guys are expected to have an overpowering top 6, you can afford to have somoone move out of the way, no?

Old
04-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissButch View Post
Why don't they sign him to a ATO and send him to Portland? I don't get it
It isn't that easy. There's not much incentive for a player who's assured of getting an NHL contract to sign an ATO. If they get injured or the tryout goes bad, they stand to lose a lot of money. I can't see a promising draft pick signing one unless he's heavily insured and the team picks up the tab for it. Incidentally, players on ATO's aren't paid.

Old
04-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
A lot depends on free agency, but I think there's a good chance he makes the team out of camp. He was "intriguing" to Regier this past fall, and he's taken huge strides since. You have to put your best team on the ice next season (and put ***** in the seats).

Sbisa played a bunch and went back (accrued a season), and Myers could stay through the first quarter of the season. If he regresses (very possible as a 19-year old) and others man up, send him back to Kelowna right before the WJCs. He's too dominant to go back to juniors right away IMO.

(i use parentheses too much)

Old
04-16-2009, 06:34 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugfest View Post
what are the chances of him making the sabres roster? it's not like you guys are expected to have an overpowering top 6, you can afford to have somoone move out of the way, no?
Absolutely. As KB said above, Myers would put ***** in the seats for sure. That combined with his progression over the course of this past season, he has a shot at making the team.

I expect him in juniors, but wouldn't be the least bit shocked to see him as a Sabre next season

Old
04-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Bakes has a post up -- Biega named captain for next year's Crimson and named team MVP. Still a darkhorse, but he's got the skills.

Old
04-16-2009, 05:12 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Love Biega. You really think he's a darkhorse? What, if any, similarities do you see between he and Butler besides the NCAA route?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
04-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Love Biega. You really think he's a darkhorse? What, if any, similarities do you see between he and Butler besides the NCAA route?
Posted via Mobile Device
I like Biega's feet and hands and brain. He moves really well, stops-and-starts, over distance, in traffic. He's got the hands to control the puck in traffic, make plays and has an accurate pass. Add in his shot -- the guy can let it rip in a lot of ways, accurately. And he thinks a good game. I know Bake's has some concerns on how his game translates to the pros -- it's a good beer conversation.

Butler has a better frame and has a bit more bite to his game -- he's got some stick-mean qualities that I don't really see out of Biega in the crease/slot area.

Old
04-16-2009, 07:47 PM
gaf
Occupied Territory

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
He's gotta be moving up the prospect rankings, no? I think KB had him at 20 or so?? Well, I guess we can add him to our stable of midgets. I cant wait to see gerbe, roy, ennis and biega on the ice. Well confuse these guys for the timbits players between periods!! Bring back briere!!

Old
04-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaf View Post
He's gotta be moving up the prospect rankings, no? I think KB had him at 20 or so?? Well, I guess we can add him to our stable of midgets. I cant wait to see gerbe, roy, ennis and biega on the ice. Well confuse these guys for the timbits players between periods!! Bring back briere!!
He's the tallest of 'em at just shy of 6'.

Old
04-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Travis getting a little love from a vet:

Quote:
Darche has been very happy with the play of the younger players as well, especially Turnbull, and believes playing at this time of year can only be a benefit to the overall development of future players in the Sabres organization.

“What (Turnbull) brought to our lineup was a little jam to the forwards,” he said. “He brought a little aspect that we might have been lacking, a forward, in your face type of guy, who isn’t afraid to drop the mitts.”

“He’s brings great energy and been a real vocal guy which is great to have.”
http://mainehockeyjournal.com/2009/0...unger-pirates/

Closed Thread