HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2008-2009 Buffalo Sabres Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post

minors-RFAs: 7 = Zagrapan, Funk, Hunter, Card, Mancari, Dennis, Bonneau).
If 3 of those minor-league RFA's are back next year, I will be surprised. They should have close to a dozen contracts to offer...

05-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Does anyone else think the dirth of centermen might see someone getting a positional shift? Zagrapan's next contract may be overseas, Kennedy is a converted winger, and everyone else is either not signed or moved to the wing in junior (or both). I'm thinking specifically of Schiestel here -- the kid has great wheels and playmaking ability and was playing forward at AAA. I'm stuck with the thought that he goes a bit Housley this season -- maybe some time splitting between forward and D.
They moved Kennedy back to wing after a lengthy scoring drought. Gragnani ended up back on D, and Ruff seems awfully reluctant to use Paetsch at forward even though he played very well on the wing. The Sabres don't seem very committed when they make a position switch. The only way I see Schiestel playing forward is if he struggles badly on D. Signing a center or two should be this year's priority with Portland. Philipp Gogulla is a guy who I think might get a look at center.

Old
05-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Tachycineta

I really hope they sign Byron, even if it's for AHL depth.

The dude deserves a chance to be a pro.

I've been checking these board several times a day checking for updates. It's not like we have a plethora of forwards...

I'm not surprised we haven't had any news regarding Byron or Allard being that the Sabres do tend to sign people at the last minute (Enroth, Persson etc) but I might very well be disappointed come June 1st.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!

Last edited by Tachycineta: 05-27-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old
05-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Judging by their absence from the first two ratings articles here at HF, HF has the Sabres in the top 10 for overall prospect pools.

Old
05-28-2009, 12:26 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

I received an e-mail from the Quebec Remparts and they have no idea if the Sabres would/will sign Allard by the 1st of June.

Old
05-28-2009, 05:23 PM
sabresEH

The frenchies will most likely stay in the Q one more year. Maybe he's waiting until Luke Adam is avaible to go pro and he'll sign all 3 QMJHLer's and they'll all play on a line together.

Old
05-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresEH View Post
The frenchies will most likely stay in the Q one more year. Maybe he's waiting until Luke Adam is avaible to go pro and he'll sign all 3 QMJHLer's and they'll all play on a line together.
The Sabres lose the rights to both Allard and Byron if not signed by June 1st of this year. Byron has nothing left to prove in the CHL.

Old
05-28-2009, 07:09 PM
sabresEH

Quote:
The Sabres lose the rights to both Allard and Byron if not signed by June 1st of this year. Byron has nothing left to prove in the CHL.
Ahh IC then, well. I doubt Darcy lets these two go. He's just trying to get them at the cheapest price possible.

Old
05-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresEH View Post
Ahh IC then, well. I doubt Darcy lets these two go. He's just trying to get them at the cheapest price possible.
I don't expect either to be signed by June 1st. It's unlikely they'll be redrafted. Allard hasn't shown any progress developmentally. Byron hasn't progressed enough to turn any heads and his lack of size is a big issue. I'd look for them to be invited to training camp with an opportunity to earn a contract as free agents. Even at minimal salary, and signing bonus, the cost of signing those two will exceed that of signing a proven AHL veteran. There has to be confidence they'll develop before they're worth signing. Ennis and Orpik are the remaining current AHL-eligible prospects I expect to be signed. Orpik has to be signed before August 15th and Ennis can be done in training camp. His deadline isn't until 6-1-10.

Old
05-29-2009, 03:21 PM
The Real

Quote:
That's really the point to me. We drafted him, he's produced there and now deserves a chance to take the next step. I hope the Sabres don't sit on thier hands on this one. I like the kid alot.

Old
05-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Wildcat posted this in the Pirates thread but I thought I'd add it here. Byron is in the fold.

http://mainehockeyjournal.com/2009/0...nder-contract/

Quote:
Portland, ME According to several sources including SportsJuniors.com, Buffalo Sabres prospect Paul Byron has signed a three-year entry-level deal with the NHL club.

Byron, 20, was drafted by the Sabres in the 6th round (#179 overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. In three seasons with Gatineau Olympiques, he scored 91 goals, 120 assists for 211 points in 184 games. In his last season with the Olympiques, he set career highs in assists (66) and points (99) as he finished fourth in league scoring.

...and Bakes suggests that they are in contact with Allard.

http://www.sabresprospects.com/2009/...on-allard.html

Quote:
While direct attempts to reach the forwards have not been returned, the information we have received suggests that both parties are talking with the Sabres. As of now, the club doesn't appear to be walking away from either player like they did last May when informing Benjamin Breault that he wasn't part of their future plans. A point producer in his own regard, there were rumored to be other mitigating factors guiding the Sabres decision.

And actually, I wouldn't mind hearing about those "other factors" in regards to Breault.

Old
06-01-2009, 09:15 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

http://www.russianprospects.com/

So is this the year that they can get Vyacheslav Buravchikov to cross the pond?

Old
06-01-2009, 02:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

No word on Allard, so does that mean the Sabres will not be signing him?

Old
06-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Krieger Bot

Send a message via AIM to Krieger Bot
Quote:
Judging by their absence from the first two ratings articles here at HF, HF has the Sabres in the top 10 for overall prospect pools.
Huge jump considering we were at 20 just six months ago. Even more impressive when you consider our poor showing in the top-50 prospects. Nice to see us get some recognition.

Old
06-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
No word on Allard, so does that mean the Sabres will not be signing him?
The deadline was 5PM today, I'm guessing they deferred on him.

Old
06-01-2009, 06:30 PM
thomas vanek

well according to the WGR website, they signed him

Old
06-01-2009, 06:32 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas vanek View Post
well according to the WGR website, they signed him
Allard? I'd be pretty surprised.

From WGR:

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) -- The Sabres had to get 2007 6th round pick Paul Byron and 5th rounder Jean-Simon Allard signed by the 5:00. There's no word on Allard, but Byron inked a three year entry level contract.

Old
06-04-2009, 11:11 AM
jayintro86

Interview with Tyler Myers on Buffalo sports radio

he sounds like a decent guy

http://audio.wgr550.com/m/audio/2242...m?pageid=28472

Old
06-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Andrew Orpik to Pitt?

I think it's a possibility. He may just wait until he becomes an UFA on August 15th so he can sign with the Pens and be in the same organization as his brother. Brooks is signed through 2013 so there's a good chance they'll eventually play together. His ELS contract won't be appreciably different with either organization and it's an easier trip home from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton than it is from Portland.

Old
06-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I think it's a possibility. He may just wait until he becomes an UFA on August 15th so he can sign with the Pens and be in the same organization as his brother. Brooks is signed through 2013 so there's a good chance they'll eventually play together. His ELS contract won't be appreciably different with either organization and it's an easier trip home from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton than it is from Portland.
Could he be signed to an ELC and then traded to Pitt? I think he would be agreeable to this and we can get something in return for him. On the other hand, he has no pressure to sign here if Pittsburgh is already interested in him.

Old
06-08-2009, 10:34 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I dunno, are teams going to be throwing around ELC's to a guy with a Collegiate career high of 17 points? I think if the Sabres offer him a contract before August 15th he takes it.

Old
06-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Krieger Bot

Send a message via AIM to Krieger Bot
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
I dunno, are teams going to be throwing around ELC's to a guy with a Collegiate career high of 17 points? I think if the Sabres offer him a contract before August 15th he takes it.
Yeah Orpik isn't exactly Blake Wheeler. IMO, if the Sabres offer him a deal, he'd be a fool to pass on it.

Old
06-26-2009, 06:07 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Retiring this thread today.

Old
02-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
bump - interesting read.

Old
02-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruschiki View Post
bump - interesting read.
Classic, on the heels of Clock's "No necro-bumping" warning this morning.

Closed Thread