HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2008-2009 Buffalo Sabres Prospects Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-25-2008, 09:22 AM
  #126
Hobey Baker
Registered User
 
Hobey Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Charlestown
Country: United States
Posts: 7,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of him, personally, mainly because I'm not at all a fan. Would a higher-end Knuble be like a Recchi/LeClair type, or is that too high?
Recchi/LeClair might work for me. I don't think you're too high, but I admittedly don't like doing comparables. I'd rather play wait and see.

Hobey Baker is offline  
Old
10-25-2008, 09:33 AM
  #127
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
Recchi/LeClair might work for me. I don't think you're too high, but I admittedly don't like doing comparables. I'd rather play wait and see.
That's reasonable. There's no particular reason to do comparisons, but it's something that I find useful in trying to picture how a prospect plays the game, and what they might look like in a few years. *shrug*

BackGroundMusic is offline  
Old
10-26-2008, 12:56 AM
  #128
#57
Registered User
 
#57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,006
vCash: 500
It's funny because this morning I was trying to find a player that I could compare Luke Adam to and couldn't really find anyone.

The Knuble comparison isn't the best because Adam is a much better skater and in my opinion will be a better/smarter player the Knuble in the future.

John LeClair I do not like the comparison because in his prime LeClair had one heck of a shot to go along with his physical ability, he had 3 straight 50 goal seasons at one point.

I do think Luke Adam's style ressemble a bit that of Mark Recchi, but the difference in size between the two kind of makes me wanna think twice about it. Recchi played a hard nosed style of hockey and had a flair for the net, was a great skater with soft hands as well and that's pretty much what Adam looks like.

Maybe a mix of the two? LeClaire was I think 6'3 230, while Recchi was 5'8 190, and Adam is right in between those two, so yeah if you mix Recchi and LeClair you might just get a Luke Adam lol.

I do not think Adam will ever score 50 goals in the NHL though, which both Recchi and LeClair did, but when it comes to playing style those two are good comparisons of course. I think in his prime Adam could be good for a couple of 30-30-60 seasons with solid defensive play, leadership, faceoff skills and a physical presence.

As for Brennan's defensive play, I had not seen him play prior to this season, so I can't really comment except for the fact that I've been impressed by him - both offensively and defensively - since the beginning of the season.

#57 is offline  
Old
10-29-2008, 09:02 PM
  #129
Brock
HFB Partner
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The GTA
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
Saw Nick Crawford play last weekend.

Can't say I ever really noticed him much last season, but he was very noticeable on Saturday. As evidenced by his 3 assists, he moved the puck very well with a good first pass. He also has the skating and puck handling ability to rush the puck up the ice with confidence. He saw a ton of powerplay time and was definitely the Spirit's go to guy, playing the full 2 minutes in some instances. Defensively, he was alright. He took the body a few times, but also got caught a few times in making pinches. When he moves on to the next level, he'll definitely need to add some strength because he got outworked a few times infront of the net and in the corners. But as a puck moving defenseman, he definitely appears to have NHL upside.

That and more information can be found on my blog. I'll be doing an update on Drew Schiestel sometime too.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/

Brock is offline  
Old
10-30-2008, 12:34 AM
  #130
nibbles
Registered User
 
nibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WAL MART
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
Anything on Ennis lately?

nibbles is offline  
Old
10-30-2008, 12:39 AM
  #131
Hobey Baker
Registered User
 
Hobey Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Charlestown
Country: United States
Posts: 7,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbles View Post
Anything on Ennis lately?
Seven points in his last four. The good checking teams are hitting him nearly every time he gets the puck. Had a four point night last week (1+3-4). 5-8-13 thru 13 GP.

Hobey Baker is offline  
Old
10-30-2008, 12:53 AM
  #132
nibbles
Registered User
 
nibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: WAL MART
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,399
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
nice.. thanks

nibbles is offline  
Old
11-04-2008, 12:14 PM
  #133
Brock
HFB Partner
 
Brock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The GTA
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
I've seen a lot of Drew Schiestel so far this year. Here are my thoughts on his progression...

Drew is easily the heart and soul of Niagara's defense without Alex Pietrangelo. For the first half of last year, Schiestel was terrible. He was even close to being a healthy scratch a few times. But a light bulb went off eventually and Schiestel became a different player. When he's at his best, he's a slick skating defenseman who leads the rush, quarterbacks the powerplay with ease, is sound defensively and takes the body. He's one of the best skaters in the OHL period, nevermind for a defenseman. Only Sarnia's Mark Katic gives him a run as a defenseman. However he does still have some consistency issues. At times, he does appear to coast, especially defensively. And other times he's rather passive physically and fails to get involved. But he can be a difference maker offensively at any time with his puck rushing ability. This year he's been outstanding offensively. He's improved his work on the powerplay, as he does a great job getting his shot through to the net. A lot of his assists this year have come from either tips off his shots from the point, or from rebounds. He is an Ice Dog worst -9. For most players this could be a troubling stat. However a lot of this comes from the fact that Drew likes to take chances. When the team is struggling offensively, Drew can tend to try to do too much. He''ll rush the puck everytime and occasionally get caught up the ice. However, I'm not really worried about this at the next level. I'm not sure how to profile Drew for the NHL. He's got all these offensive tools, size, skating ability and potential to improve defensively. However, I'm not really sure how he's going to fit into an NHL role. I think the best thing to say is that we'll wait and see. He could end up developing into a premier puck moving defenseman, if his defensive game improves more.

Brock is offline  
Old
11-04-2008, 12:38 PM
  #134
Hobey Baker
Registered User
 
Hobey Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Charlestown
Country: United States
Posts: 7,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
I've seen a lot of Drew Schiestel so far this year. Here are my thoughts on his progression...

Drew is easily the heart and soul of Niagara's defense without Alex Pietrangelo. For the first half of last year, Schiestel was terrible. He was even close to being a healthy scratch a few times. But a light bulb went off eventually and Schiestel became a different player. When he's at his best, he's a slick skating defenseman who leads the rush, quarterbacks the powerplay with ease, is sound defensively and takes the body. He's one of the best skaters in the OHL period, nevermind for a defenseman. Only Sarnia's Mark Katic gives him a run as a defenseman. However he does still have some consistency issues. At times, he does appear to coast, especially defensively. And other times he's rather passive physically and fails to get involved. But he can be a difference maker offensively at any time with his puck rushing ability. This year he's been outstanding offensively. He's improved his work on the powerplay, as he does a great job getting his shot through to the net. A lot of his assists this year have come from either tips off his shots from the point, or from rebounds. He is an Ice Dog worst -9. For most players this could be a troubling stat. However a lot of this comes from the fact that Drew likes to take chances. When the team is struggling offensively, Drew can tend to try to do too much. He''ll rush the puck everytime and occasionally get caught up the ice. However, I'm not really worried about this at the next level. I'm not sure how to profile Drew for the NHL. He's got all these offensive tools, size, skating ability and potential to improve defensively. However, I'm not really sure how he's going to fit into an NHL role. I think the best thing to say is that we'll wait and see. He could end up developing into a premier puck moving defenseman, if his defensive game improves more.
I agree with a lot of this, Brock. To go further, many of the negatives (passive physcial play and coasting defensively) might be a result of him playing *too much*, but again that comes down when you're observing the lapses.
He hasn't had a ton of help, and I think he is trying to do too much when he's out there. I think that Cicchillo needs to help him find his balance because I doubt anyone is telling him to over-do it. The rest of the season, I just want him to "play" the game and limit his mistakes on his side of the red line. That should make for good prep for the A next season.

Hobey Baker is offline  
Old
11-04-2008, 01:35 PM
  #135
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 57,076
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
I agree with a lot of this, Brock. To go further, many of the negatives (passive physcial play and coasting defensively) might be a result of him playing *too much*, but again that comes down when you're observing the lapses.
He hasn't had a ton of help, and I think he is trying to do too much when he's out there. I think that Cicchillo needs to help him find his balance because I doubt anyone is telling him to over-do it. The rest of the season, I just want him to "play" the game and limit his mistakes on his side of the red line. That should make for good prep for the A next season.
I haven't gotten to listen (or watch) the 'Dogs at all this year much to my disappointment. I was markedly impressed with Drew's improvement from the beginning of the year to the end last season and that sort of progression is very encouraging, especially if the trend continues.

And Brock, thank you for the Crawford observations. Regier and Devine have a working template for the skills they want in their defensemen that I really like. Yes, there is some oddness in how Buffalo could use Gragnani down the line, but the puck-moving set gives me quiet satisfaction. Smart, good-to-great skaters with some quality puck skills....

The smaller sub-set of harder players on the blueline -- Weber, Fienhage, MacKenzie -- makes me happiest. I'm glad they're trying to get more of a mix on the backend.


Speaking of D -- what's the scuttlebutt on Southorn Bakes? I saw your articles on him getting suspended. I really, really liked what I saw out of him in the Prospect Camp... he had a letter and gets in to defend teammates. Is this just a personality clash with Choiunard?

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
11-04-2008, 04:50 PM
  #136
French Connection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
I agree with a lot of this, Brock. To go further, many of the negatives (passive physcial play and coasting defensively) might be a result of him playing *too much*, but again that comes down when you're observing the lapses.
He hasn't had a ton of help, and I think he is trying to do too much when he's out there. I think that Cicchillo needs to help him find his balance because I doubt anyone is telling him to over-do it. The rest of the season, I just want him to "play" the game and limit his mistakes on his side of the red line. That should make for good prep for the A next season.
The reason he struggled early last year was he had been playing second fiddle to Petro, this coach does not know how to use more than one quality player on his team. If you had Petro and Drew both going at the top of their game they could have been an outstanding pair. However the coaching staff could not see the trees from the forest.

This year I think he sees that he is the leader now and has responded. Yes he has lapses defensively, but as you pointed out this could be form the amount of ice time he is playing. Some games up to 40 mins which is way to much.

He can be an offensive juggernaut when he wants but that will only alienate him from the rest of the team. Having said that he is still the leading scorer on the IceDogs and the second leading point getter for any D man in not only the O but the entire CHL. He is even in 6th for point among all players in the O.

As for the plus minus it is high on the negative side, but remember he is playing with 2 rookie goalies who have not adjusted to the speed of the O and has played with 5 rookie D men. Now tell me who would be able to get a plus with that?

By watching him I would also agree he is one of and maybe the best skaters in the entire league. At the recent Sabres camp he finished 3rd in a speed drill among all of the Buffalo's players. He will take chances because he knows he can get back nearly every time.

He is a high risks - high reward type of player.

At the next level with proper coaching who can and will channel his skills could make him into a very good player as he has all of the tools.

French Connection is offline  
Old
11-06-2008, 11:06 AM
  #137
CH4
Registered User
 
CH4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicoutimi
Posts: 1,797
vCash: 500
FYI guys Jacob Lagacé is doing great in Chicoutimi thus far. He really improved 1 on 1 and has great work ethic. He is our best foward up to now (over Deschamps), IMO. Don't know if he'll developp into something good but this year he is surprising me a lot.

CH4 is offline  
Old
11-06-2008, 12:28 PM
  #138
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com
 
Buffalo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rochester
Posts: 7,254
vCash: 500
Thanks for all the input guys, really good to get some first-hand reports as I know for myself, I very rarely get to watch any of these games, I basically just follow the stat sheets which doesn't always tell the whole story.

Buffalo87 is offline  
Old
11-06-2008, 04:03 PM
  #139
TehDoak
I Like Eich
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 19,673
vCash: 903
Ennis is playing Regina tonight? a part of my brain just exploded.

TehDoak is offline  
Old
11-06-2008, 04:32 PM
  #140
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Ennis is playing Regina tonight? a part of my brain just exploded.


You're so bad. This, after just reading Griffin's "ftr (for the ross)" in the OT thread.

BackGroundMusic is offline  
Old
11-06-2008, 05:20 PM
  #141
Hobey Baker
Registered User
 
Hobey Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Charlestown
Country: United States
Posts: 7,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Speaking of D -- what's the scuttlebutt on Southorn Bakes? I saw your articles on him getting suspended. I really, really liked what I saw out of him in the Prospect Camp... he had a letter and gets in to defend teammates. Is this just a personality clash with Choiunard?
Sorry for the delay, CS. As you probably know, things are getting a little wild...

Southorn's suspension was case of a kid going through the maturation process. Perhaps a little cracking under pressure. Throwing gear and going to the dressing room after arguing with your coach is not a good sign, but you have to tap the kid on the shin pads for manning up, asking for forgiveness, and in essence admitting he was wrong.

Maybe he simply wasn't ready to wear a letter.

You'd think by his words that he's genuine, and that a deep rooted conflict with Chouinard isn't an issue. Grags - his conflict was an issue. This one feels different.

Either way, you can bet your pants that his agent and parents sat him down and let him know that a individualistic attitude at any level is unacceptable. Again though, I think this was frustration over poor play boiling over, and not indicative of any *major* character flaws. Mulligan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Ennis is playing Regina tonight? a part of my brain just exploded.
Quit misleading the masses, doook!
Sincerely,
sounds like tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post


You're so bad. This, after just reading Griffin's "ftr (for the ross)" in the OT thread.
No OT talk in the Prospects Thread! :points at you:


Last edited by Hobey Baker: 11-06-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Hobey Baker is offline  
Old
11-06-2008, 05:33 PM
  #142
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
No OT talk in the Prospects Thread! :points at you:
But I'm reigning OT Thread King! Doesn't that give me some sort of diplomatic immunity?

BackGroundMusic is offline  
Old
11-06-2008, 05:38 PM
  #143
TehDoak
I Like Eich
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 19,673
vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
Quit misleading the masses, doook!
Sincerely,
sounds like tennis
Listen here. I don't care what the proper pronunciation is. If you put a P in front of his last name, its Pennis. PENNIS!!!

I shall forever get a chuckle out of it.

TehDoak is offline  
Old
11-06-2008, 05:46 PM
  #144
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Listen here. I don't care what the proper pronunciation is. If you put a P in front of his last name, its Pennis. PENNIS!!!

I shall forever get a chuckle out of it.
Isn't "Pennis" the accepted pronounciation south of the Mason-Dixon Line?

BackGroundMusic is offline  
Old
11-06-2008, 06:02 PM
  #145
Hobey Baker
Registered User
 
Hobey Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Charlestown
Country: United States
Posts: 7,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
Listen here. I don't care what the proper pronunciation is. If you put a P in front of his last name, its Pennis. PENNIS!!!

I shall forever get a chuckle out of it.
As long as you don't pronounce it like Curtis Enis. He was a bust RB out of Penn State. I don't think this Ennis will bust.

Speaking of, Ennis has 12 of his 18 points during his current seven game point streak and looks ready to kick his season into gear. He'll need to average over a point and half per game the rest of the way to hit the century mark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Isn't "Pennis" the accepted pronounciation south of the Mason-Dixon Line?
No. Only south of Doak-Belt line. That's an altogether different territory. Let's move on...

Hobey Baker is offline  
Old
11-06-2008, 06:13 PM
  #146
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
As long as you don't pronounce it like Curtis Enis. He was a bust RB out of Penn State. I don't think this Ennis will bust.

Speaking of, Ennis has 12 of his 18 points during his current seven game point streak and looks ready to kick his season into gear. He'll need to average over a point and half per game the rest of the way to hit the century mark...
I had high hopes for Enis. Oh well.

Do you think Ennis can hit 100? 1.5 ppg is quite a bit of a pace to maintain over the course of a season, but he certainly seems to have the skill set.

Quote:
No. Only south of Doak-Belt line. That's an altogether different territory. Let's move on...
Haha, well played indeed.

BackGroundMusic is offline  
Old
11-06-2008, 06:34 PM
  #147
Hobey Baker
Registered User
 
Hobey Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Charlestown
Country: United States
Posts: 7,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan View Post
Do you think Ennis can hit 100? 1.5 ppg is quite a bit of a pace to maintain over the course of a season, but he certainly seems to have the skill set.
Let's do some maff.

Tigers have played 18 of 72 games...
Ennis has played 16, and has 18 points...
He could miss two games for the WJC's (I expect both he and Myers to go), so a healthy reg. season could see him play another 52 games...
He'll need another 82 points in those 52 games....
That's 1.58 ppg....
Last year, he had 69 points in his final 52 games...
Last season, MH averaged 3.25 goals-per-game....
This season MH averages 3.44 goals-per-game....

It could be tight if he stays healthy and keeps streaking.

Hobey Baker is offline  
Old
11-06-2008, 06:58 PM
  #148
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 40,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
Let's do some maff.

Tigers have played 18 of 72 games...
Ennis has played 16, and has 18 points...
He could miss two games for the WJC's (I expect both he and Myers to go), so a healthy reg. season could see him play another 52 games...
He'll need another 82 points in those 52 games....
That's 1.58 ppg....
Last year, he had 69 points in his final 52 games...
Last season, MH averaged 3.25 goals-per-game....
This season MH averages 3.44 goals-per-game....

It could be tight if he stays healthy and keeps streaking.
I thoroughly expect this to be misinterpreted south of the Doak-belt line...

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
11-06-2008, 07:43 PM
  #149
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere
 
BackGroundMusic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 24,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
Let's do some maff.

Tigers have played 18 of 72 games...
Ennis has played 16, and has 18 points...
He could miss two games for the WJC's (I expect both he and Myers to go), so a healthy reg. season could see him play another 52 games...
He'll need another 82 points in those 52 games....
That's 1.58 ppg....
Last year, he had 69 points in his final 52 games...
Last season, MH averaged 3.25 goals-per-game....
This season MH averages 3.44 goals-per-game....

It could be tight if he stays healthy and keeps streaking.
Thanks. I don't see it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSlug View Post
I thoroughly expect this to be misinterpreted south of the Doak-belt line...
Thanks. I see that happening.

BackGroundMusic is offline  
Old
11-06-2008, 08:14 PM
  #150
aceface33
Registered User
 
aceface33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Herkimer, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
As long as you don't pronounce it like Curtis Enis. He was a bust RB out of Penn State. I don't think this Ennis will bust.
It's easy if you remember it's pronounced the same as Ennis, the largest town in county Clare, and the place where Daniel O'Connell and Eamon De Valera were elected.[/Irish historian]

aceface33 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.