HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The 2008-2009 Buffalo Sabres Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
Let's do some maff.

Tigers have played 18 of 72 games...
Ennis has played 16, and has 18 points...
He could miss two games for the WJC's (I expect both he and Myers to go), so a healthy reg. season could see him play another 52 games...
He'll need another 82 points in those 52 games....
That's 1.58 ppg....
Last year, he had 69 points in his final 52 games...
Last season, MH averaged 3.25 goals-per-game....
This season MH averages 3.44 goals-per-game....

It could be tight if he stays healthy and keeps streaking.
Bakes, it has been my opinion since the draft that, if Ennis has a huge season this year, that he gets signed in the summer. Agree/disagree?

Old
11-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Bakes, it has been my opinion since the draft that, if Ennis has a huge season this year, that he gets signed in the summer. Agree/disagree?
I expect him be signed regardless of whether he has a huge season or just another very good one as he'll be eligible to play in the AHL. He's one of the older players in his draft class (DOB 10/6/89). If he was born 3 weeks earlier some team would have gotten a 5th round steal in the 2007 draft.

Old
11-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I expect him be signed regardless of whether he has a huge season or just another very good one as he'll be eligible to play in the AHL. He's one of the older players in his draft class (DOB 10/6/89). If he was born 3 weeks earlier some team would have gotten a 5th round steal in the 2007 draft.
Exactly. He'll be of age, and he'll have the four seasons of major junior under his belt. No brainer IMO.

Old
11-07-2008, 10:28 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Exactly. He'll be of age, and he'll have the four seasons of major junior under his belt. No brainer IMO.
Nice for Portland, the offensively gifted midgets keep rolling in.

Old
11-10-2008, 09:56 AM
w00t

Could you Sabres fans please give me the scoop on Mancari? Where is he on the depth chart, when/how would he see some time with the big club, what does management think of him, why didn't he make the team out of camp, etc. Any information would be appreciated! Thanks.

Old
11-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
Could you Sabres fans please give me the scoop on Mancari? Where is he on the depth chart, when/how would he see some time with the big club, what does management think of him, why didn't he make the team out of camp, etc. Any information would be appreciated! Thanks.
He's a fourth year pro who took his issues with skating to heart this summer -- he appears to be a bit quicker and that's helping him get to pucks and openings faster than he has in the past. He's got a solid frame and a cannon shot -- the issues there are he doesn't play an aggressive game with the size to dominate and that his shot release is a bit slow as we've seen in some injury recall time up here. He's versatile -- he can man the point on the PP and played D at times in junior (and in the A on an emergency basis) -- and there are flashes of what he can do when he plays a meaner game (his camp to earn a contract had him hungry and initiating all over the ice...). He could, if he can continue to improve his footspeed, be an unforeseen lower line contributor at the NHL level. If he's plateaued, they have a Botterill or Hamel type AHLer who can provide scoring/leadership to the farm club.

11-10-2008, 10:57 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He's a fourth year pro who took his issues with skating to heart this summer -- he appears to be a bit quicker and that's helping him get to pucks and openings faster than he has in the past. He's got a solid frame and a cannon shot -- the issues there are he doesn't play an aggressive game with the size to dominate and that his shot release is a bit slow as we've seen in some injury recall time up here. He's versatile -- he can man the point on the PP and played D at times in junior (and in the A on an emergency basis) -- and there are flashes of what he can do when he plays a meaner game (his camp to earn a contract had him hungry and initiating all over the ice...). He could, if he can continue to improve his footspeed, be an unforeseen lower line contributor at the NHL level. If he's plateaued, they have a Botterill or Hamel type AHLer who can provide scoring/leadership to the farm club.
I was thinking about this the other day when reading comments from former Amerks that are now Pirates. In terms of how bad the situation was.

Do you think it would be realistic to consider last season a wash developmentally(and not just for Mancari)? I know thats a bit of sementics. But if he had this type of breakthrough in his 3rd year perceptions about him would be different.

As opposed to him being viewed as 4th yr pro. Which obviously he is but I almost think of him being in his 3rd year developmentally.

I have no idea if this made any sense or if I got my point across.

Old
11-10-2008, 11:02 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I was thinking about this the other day when reading comments from former Amerks that are now Pirates. In terms of how bad the situation was.

Do you think it would be realistic to consider last season a wash developmentally(and not just for Mancari)? I know thats a bit of sementics. But if he had this type of breakthrough in his 3rd year perceptions about him would be different.

As opposed to him being viewed as 4th yr pro. Which obviously he is but I almost think of him being in his 3rd year developmentally.

Of course it makes sense.

It was a bad environment for a player to develop, plain and simple.

Compare him to someone else who should have started to flourish with a new team -- Marek Zaprapan. Granted, he's actually a 3rd year pro. But Mancari is continuing his development and doing what he needs to right now where as Zags isnt'.

Old
11-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post

It makes perfect sense, I was thinking the same thing myself in the context of MacArthur, who seemed to be hated among Amerks fans last year and has not only succeeded in the NHL but in as a front-of-the-net guy that most if not all of us didn't see coming. Sekera is another guy who was better in Buffalo than he was in Rochester and Dennis seems to be better in Portland. Obviously the situation was bad but I'm pretty much ready to throw away any conclusion drawn about Sabres prospects based on their time in Rochester.

Except for Zagrapan, for reasons that vcv stated, who I've pretty much gone to red alert on.

Old
11-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
I expect Biega to be offered a contract as well, but he could decide to stay in college and get his degree so it may be another year before we see him.

Paul Byron is the guy I'm most uncertain about being offered a contract. Unlike Ennis and Biega, he'll go back into the draft. He's doing ok for playing on a terrible team (Gatineau), but the Sabres front office might be looking for more improvement.

Old
11-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I expect Biega to be offered a contract as well, but he could decide to stay in college and get his degree so it may be another year before we see him.

Paul Byron is the guy I'm most uncertain about being offered a contract. Unlike Ennis and Biega, he'll go back into the draft. He's doing ok for playing on a terrible team (Gatineau), but the Sabres front office might be looking for more improvement.
Biega remains my darkhorse candidate as favorite prospect. Brains, hands, feet... and he's grown to 5'11" now. Add in being a rightie.... and playing in all situations for so long in a quality development program at Harvard, the kid deserves more recognition than he's getting around here. Granted, if he was, he wouldn't really be a darkhorse any more...

Old
11-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:

Would Biega really be that high of a priority though? Brennan and Schiestel need to be signed (Generous too for that matter but he's probably a long-shot) and Persson will probably come across the pond to join a group that will probably have Card, Funk, Kostka, and maybe Butler and Gragnani. Not that I have a problem with that kind of depth in the AHL, but I don't see the necessity in signing Biega.

Of course I'm assuming Card and Funk get qualified and end up in Portland. If they aren't in the organization next year, that easily could open a spot.

Old
11-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Would Biega really be that high of a priority though? Brennan and Schiestel need to be signed (Generous too for that matter but he's probably a long-shot) and Persson will probably come across the pond to join a group that will probably have Card, Funk, Kostka, and maybe Butler and Gragnani. Not that I have a problem with that kind of depth in the AHL, but I don't see the necessity in signing Biega.

Of course I'm assuming Card and Funk get qualified and end up in Portland. If they aren't in the organization next year, that easily could open a spot.
I'd put him above Funk and Card at this point, in all honesty. Putting Biega into the system does give them the option of having further developmental chips to use when the time comes to part ways with Lydman and/or Tallinder if they do not extend either/both. Having someone with at least a year under his belt in the AHL after a very good three years in HE... he's more in the Bulter track than the Persson track.

Old
11-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:

I'm pretty sure they'll let Biega stay at Harvard for his senior season.

One could speculate that Byron will be dealt in a little over a month when the Q trade window opens. Maybe Shawinigan, maybe Quebec, or maybe even Rimouski (?), who is hosting the MemCup. I doubt the Piques hold on to him, as they would do well in any deal.

Either way, he's going through a 2007-08 Vanek-like syndrome this season with Giroux and Pistilli gone. His stick is still pretty sweet, but he seems to be more of an individual this year despite the way his points are laid out. A deal would put his game back on a brighter stage, and another prolific playoff run could further his chances of getting inked. I think most of the improvement that the team would be looking for would be in the strength/dept. He's up to 175 and has been healthy after a shoulder dust-up at the conditioning camp.

I just want him to try the inside more often (like Ennis). After watching Desharnais this season with Hamilton, it's clear that Byron can play in the A. I wonder if that'll be enough of a start to get him in.

Old
11-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Hobey Baker

Persson out after hurting his knee last week. He isn't expected to be out too long though.

Schiestel not in the lineup tonight for Niagara. Spits bound?

Old
11-13-2008, 08:14 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I'd put him above Funk and Card at this point, in all honesty. Putting Biega into the system does give them the option of having further developmental chips to use when the time comes to part ways with Lydman and/or Tallinder if they do not extend either/both. Having someone with at least a year under his belt in the AHL after a very good three years in HE... he's more in the Bulter track than the Persson track.
Splitting hairs here, but Harvard plays in ECAC, not HE. So the quality of competition isn't quite as good, but still a good year is a good year.

Old
11-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Hobey Baker

While trade rumors still float, it's looking like Schiestel missed tonight because of a curfew violation.

By the way, Hamburg's John Cullen got his first OHL shutout in the Dogs win.

Old
11-13-2008, 10:50 PM
gallagt01

Hey Baker how has Persson looked? I know he's injured now but pre-injury has he looked better?

Old
11-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooooodman View Post
Hey Baker how has Persson looked? I know he's injured now but pre-injury has he looked better?
A little better. He seems more involved offensively when he gets to play, but he's still working his way through things defensively. His icetime has been shaved since he took that puck in the face a few weeks back (right around the time that Moe returned to the lineup). Now TIK might be chasing down Niinimaa, so who knows what that does.

Old
11-15-2008, 11:54 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

could you imagine what kind of line myers and Hedman would be? two players over 6'7 who can skate! sorry pittsburgh, its our turn to tank, lol. that line would be crazy!

on a more sober note. how has our big and bright defensemen been doing? are we seeing any signs of growth?

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 11-16-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old
11-17-2008, 07:53 PM
jake1

goalie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BxPDze3EBw

Old
11-20-2008, 12:49 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

I just finished watching the Kelowna - Tri City game. Kelowna won 3-1 snapping a 10 game losing streak to the Americans that dated back to 2006 (or so says the announcer). Myers played defense a lot like Bill Hajt. I didn't see him throw a hard check tonight. He rubs guys out along the boards and breaks up plays with his long reach. Overall it's effective. He doesn't shy away from contact and was involved in a few scrums. There was one where he had his hand on top of a player's head and was holding him off like something you'd see in a cartoon. He gets into trouble when he starts running around which is what happened on the game's opening goal by Tri City, but it's hard to fault him when the goalie doesn't cover the short side. Offensively, this guy is nothing at all like Bill Hajt. He made 2 gorgeous rushes; one resulted in a power play for Kelowna, and the other in a goal. He was given an assist on that goal. He's a hard man to stop when he decides to take it to the net. He has the speed to beat the dman outside, and the power to take it inside. I wish he had taken a few more rushes. He makes good, quick, outlet passes and sound decisions, but sometimes he's a little clumsy with the puck. He'll need to get that out of system to play at the next level. I thought he had an assist on Kelowna's 2nd goal, but they gave it to Jesse Paradis. He made a long pass up the middle that there was a bit of a scrum for and Evan Bloodoff took it in for the winner. Myers looks like a solid pick that will continue to improve. He finished the night +1 playing about 25 mins.

Jamie Benn looked like the most NHL-ready player on the ice. The Stars got a steal when they took him in the 5th round in 2007. He plays with high energy, has size (6'2"), speed, and hands. I love the way he goes to the net. Benn scored the tying goal in the goalmouth scramble off Myer's rush.

For Tri City:
Goaltender, Chet Pickard was outstanding. He made some great saves to keep Tri City in the game. He was the second (18th) of Nashville's first rounders in the 2008 draft. Taylor Procyshen (RW), an undrafted over-ager, looked dangerous everytime he was on the ice. He's small, quick, and fearless. That's probably why he missed a good chunk of last season with a concussion.

Old
11-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Titan124

What's going on with Gogulla? Did he refuse to come over?

Old
11-21-2008, 09:13 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan124 View Post
What's going on with Gogulla? Did he refuse to come over?
When Gogulla signed they put in a clause where he has the option at the beginning of the season to play in Germany instead of the AHL. We were hoping that now in his second year since signing he'd come across (especially when his countryman Schutz did), but it hasn't happened. Hopefully he'll be on this side of the pond for sure next year. He's looked good in training camp, if he had come over he probably would have earned a call-up sometime. If he ever wants to play in the NHL, though, he has to come over next year (although he certainly will have a chance to make the big club out of training camp).

Old
11-22-2008, 02:06 PM

Update on Luke Adam and TJ Brennan. I'll include stats this time around.

D #3 TJ Brennan 22GP 3-9-12 +8 10PIMS

As I've been watching pretty much every Juniors game this season I am now starting to be very faimiliar with each players on the team. I am really starting to get a grasp of how each player really plays. The thing with Brennan is that he's just not very physical. He's got a good frame, but doesn't use it really well.

What makes him so good is his brain, the way he uses his stick and his vision to come out of corners with the puck basically every single time. He rarely if ever gets hits on the forecheck as he moves the puck so quick, he just really knows how to avoid hits from incoming forecheckers.

He's the top puck-rusher on the team. He's got great accelation, speed and agility that allows him to make some great heads-up play on the rush. He's always on the power play but I do not think he'll ever be considered a quality offensive D, his hands are just not up to par and he has trouble handling the puck sometimes. He makes great passes, like for exemple the one-touch pass that directly leads to Esposito's 2nd goal of the night yesterday, it was a thing of beauty.

I consider him an all-around defenseman, can do it all on the ice, not that great in the offensive zone but shows flashes of brillance from time to time. Really dependable on the defensive end of the ice, will never hurt you, very good positionally and gets the puck out in a hurry. Great mobility, great leader, great hockey sense.

Career potential: Should top out as a quality #3 that can see time on the top pairing without a problem, can play on the PP and PK and will give you solid minutes. Downside should be a bottom pairing kind of guy that does his job very well and never hurts you.

Comparable: looking at the Buffalo roster I'm gonna have to say Toni Lydman. He reminds me of Josh Gorges on the Habs only with better offensive awareness, as Gorges is pretty inept offensively and like I said Brennan rushes the puck well and can play on the PP. (of course I watch the Habs a whole lot more than the Sabres so the Lydman comparison might not be the best here, but I tried).

C/LW #19 Luke Adam 20GP 10-10-20 18 PIMS -3

I need to start off my scouting report on Adam by stating the beautiful play he made last night on the Remparts defenseman. He was coming in on a two-on-two and with a quick move and speed burst he managed to get by Samuel Carrier who's very young but one of the top D prospect in the Q to create himself a breakway opportunity. He didn't score but it was a thing of beauty once again showing that Luke Adam oozes skills from everywhere in his body.

I am probably overrating him a bit much because in the QMJHL it is very rare to see a combination of such SIZE, STRENGHT, SPEED and SKILLS so I am amazed everytime I see him play. Of course the competition is also lesser than if he played in the WHL for exemple where it is way more physical and would be more of a challenge for him.

But Luke Adam is still a BEAST. Works great in the corner, uses his size to his advantage, AMAZING mobility for a guy his size, great accelaration and speed, can handle the puck at top speed, etc.

You notice him on his every shifts because he creates a lot of things, he completes his check and often creates offensive chances. He works great with Esposito but also with other players, for exemple last night he played with Asselin and Dion if I remember well for the majority of the game and played a great game, the team won 8-2 by the way and it was an amazing game to be a Montreal Juniors fan against Patrick Roy and his Quebec Remparts.

Also I have noticed he his getting better defensively, well at least he is more involved in the play and digs for pucks in the corner and shows real dedication in trying to get the puck out of his zone.

Well by now you guys know my love for Luke Adam and I seriously can't wait to see him in the playoffs as I'm getting the feeling he'll be really useful by that time of the year.

Career potential: 2nd line center 50-60 pts per year plays on the PP uses his size, protects the puck down low is a beast in the corner, etc. Downside I'm not sure, I think Luke is a pretty safe prospect and as he works on his defensive game will surely make the NHL easily.

Comparable: Mike Knuble with more speed and hockey sense.

GO JUNIORS GO!!!

Closed Thread