HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Smyth, what would you want for him?

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2004, 03:13 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Ryan Smyth, what would you want for him?

I think the only untouchables on the Wings are Zetterberg, Datsyuk and possibly Fischer. I know Fleischmann and Meech would interest Low but that wouldn't be nearly enought for Smyth alone.

Wings have all their picks except a second rounder in the 04 draft (possibly a comp. pick for the Fedorov signing available)
Wings have all their picks in the 05 draft

Wings Roster players/prospects are all in the below link with brief bio's:

http://www.allsports.com/nhl/redwing...res/depth.html

I would be happy with a trade like the following:

To Det: LW Ryan Smyth, RW Georges Laraque

To Edm: C Jiri Hudler, LW Tomas Fleischmann, D Derek Meech, 1st rounder 04, C Jason Williams, 2nd rounder 05, 2 Million $$.

Old
02-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup4Wings
I think the only untouchables on the Wings are Zetterberg, Datsyuk and possibly Fischer. I know Fleischmann and Meech would interest Low but that wouldn't be nearly enought for Smyth alone.

Wings have all their picks except a second rounder in the 04 draft (possibly a comp. pick for the Fedorov signing available)

To Edm: C Jiri Hudler, LW Tomas Fleischmann, D Derek Meech, 1st rounder 04, C Jason Williams, 2nd rounder 05, 2 Million $$.
Start talking about Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Fischer or forget it - the guys you offer are quantity for quality - this proposal has zero chance of happening

Old
02-16-2004, 03:25 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:

There's 2 problems.

1). Smyth isn't a UFA yet.

2). He signed a pretty reasonable deal.

If the Oilers are trading Smyth, it won't be for prospects, it will be for someone who Lowe thinks will make the team better, both short and long term.

Old
02-16-2004, 03:26 PM
Chayos

Quote:

I can understand datsuyk being untouchable, but zetterburg or fischer would have to be included any package for ryan smith.

My counter proposal would be Laraque and Smyth for Fischer and hudler.

Old
02-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Oilers Hockey

Everyone wants Smyth but doesn't want to give up quality. If Lowe asked for Zetterberg & Fischer for Smyth, the Wings would probably be all over this deal. Other than that I don't know if the Wings have any players the Oilers need.

Anything but prospects/picks, for the love of God!

Old
02-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
If Lowe asked for Zetterberg & Fischer for Smyth, the Wings would probably be all over this deal.
No they wouldn't. I would wager we wouldn't get Zetterberg straight up for Smytty. Young, cheap, point-producing talent is at a premium in this league. Just like on the Oilers. While Smyth has superior numbers, I'd wager Hemsky has a higher trade value.

Definitely not Fischer and Zetterberg.

Old
02-16-2004, 03:50 PM
SerbianEagle

Funny how everyone starts off by listing the "untouchables" and includes everyone that other team may have interest in.

Oilers have absolutelly no need to trade Ryan. He is signed to a very nice contract, is a very good player for this team and likes it here.

If you want him, remove your untouchable list and send us Zetterber, Fisher and pick. Unreasonable for Detroit? Probably, but if they want him they'll have to pay.

Old
02-16-2004, 03:55 PM
Oiltalk

Fischer, Hudler, 1st
for
Smyth, Laraque

Old
02-16-2004, 04:18 PM
windowlicker

Quote:

80% of all Smyth proposals so far have been "You can have anyone for him from our roster except players who are actually good, show promise or would make the deal fair."
Would you in this case expect Oiler fans to politely say "Hey, we need to get rid of Smyth before next year anyway because of some mysterious reason, so we might as well get some prospects from [insert random team] for him before its too late."

Right now Smyth is signed at a reasonable rate, the contract does not end at the end of this year, he does not need to be traded, lately has been playing like the Smyth of old, and a deal centered around the 5'2 Elf Hudler (whom I actually like), will not work. The rest is a nice package, but if this team gets any younger, they will have problems getting into bars on road trips through the States.

Old
02-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Fischer, Hudler, 1st
for
Smyth, Laraque
Umm, the Oilers had ample opportunity to draft Hudler, but didn't. I think its because of his lack of size. At 5'9, its not exactly what Lowe is looking for in a top two line centreman.

Old
02-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Umm, the Oilers had ample opportunity to draft Hudler, but didn't. I think its because of his lack of size. At 5'9, its not exactly what Lowe is looking for in a top two line centreman.
they could have drafted him 3 times too

i think it was TSN had a mock draft and showed Edmonto or Calgary drafting him in the first round

Old
02-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Fischer, Hudler, 1st
for
Smyth, Laraque
I like it, seems fair value wise, not sure if DET fans will see it that way though.

Old
02-16-2004, 08:28 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
I like it, seems fair value wise, not sure if DET fans will see it that way though.
Not fair at all. It would be Ryan was a UFA at the end of this season, but he isn't. If they want him, replace Hudler with Zetterberg.

Old
02-16-2004, 08:53 PM
M00se

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
Not fair at all. It would be Ryan was a UFA at the end of this season, but he isn't. If they want him, replace Hudler with Zetterberg.
Totally agree, Hudler would not be able to flourish in a system (or he lack therof) like ours. He needs to be on a pure skill team like Detroit or Colorado to produce. He would get wasted on the Oilers. Knowing Mac T he'd put him a line with Ferguson and Bishai for 7 minutes of ice time.

If there is going to be a trade I would want something like

Zetterberg, Meech and Detroit's 1st 2004

for

Smyth

Old
02-16-2004, 09:27 PM
Matts

I can't see much of a match

Oilers need goaltending and centres and Yzerman is on his last legs so the Wings have to build down the middle with Henrik and Pavel.

Old
02-16-2004, 11:43 PM
camboy

How about we stop with the Smyth trade proposals. Let's all hope that Lowe gets off his arse and finds a quality centerman to play with RS and we won't have to waste OUR time conversing about lousy offers for our best player. Ryan Smyth is having a bad year...period. Ryan Smyth is still a very good hockey player...period. Get the guy a quality centerman and all this trade talk disappears.
If Lowe can not make it happen for reasons unknown, stand up and let the fans know. My patience with the NHL and unfortunately the Edmonton Oilers is growing very thin. This team needs some quality players now. A first line center, an offensive d-man, and a goaltender. Without that, we can not compete. Let's not kid ourselves anymore.

Old
02-16-2004, 11:46 PM
McLeod73

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy
How about we stop with the Smyth trade proposals. Let's all hope that Lowe gets off his arse and finds a quality centerman to play with RS and we won't have to waste OUR time conversing about lousy offers for our best player. Ryan Smyth is having a bad year...period. Ryan Smyth is still a very good hockey player...period. Get the guy a quality centerman and all this trade talk disappears.
If Lowe can not make it happen for reasons unknown, stand up and let the fans know. My patience with the NHL and unfortunately the Edmonton Oilers is growing very thin. This team needs some quality players now. A first line center, an offensive d-man, and a goaltender. Without that, we can not compete. Let's not kid ourselves anymore.
I agree TOTALLY with this.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:53 AM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Everyone wants Smyth but doesn't want to give up quality. If Lowe asked for Zetterberg & Fischer for Smyth, the Wings would probably be all over this deal. Other than that I don't know if the Wings have any players the Oilers need.

Anything but prospects/picks, for the love of God!
Can you remind me who you traded Comrie for? Thats right picks/prospects. Now before you go saying "we needed to trade Comrie and we don't need to trade Smyth", take a look at your team and do you really think that Low is in a win now mode? No, he would most likely want to build for the future and post CBA with, you guessed it, picks and prospects. I know Smyth is only 27 or 28 but in reality Edmonton will need 4-5 years before they become playoff contenders. Their core players are mid to late twenties and some earlie thirties. It would be wise to get what picks and prospect Low can get now to try and build a winner post CBA. I do understand that ever team would want Zetts, Dats and Fish, but no smart GM would give up their cheap (1.5 Million a year or under) stars of tomorrow for any mid to highly paid star of today in any deal this year. However, I could see a deal like the following take place:

To Det: LW Ryan Smyth, D Doug Lynch, 4th rounder 04.

To Edm: D Jiri Fischer, C Jiri Hudler, LW Tomas Fleischmann, D Derek Meech, 2nd rounder 05.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:00 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Can you remind me who you traded Comrie for? Thats right picks/prospects. Now before you go saying "we needed to trade Comrie and we don't need to trade Smyth", take a look at your team and do you really think that Low is in a win now mode? No, he would most likely want to build for the future and post CBA with, you guessed it, picks and prospects. I know Smyth is only 27 or 28 but in reality Edmonton will need 4-5 years before they become playoff contenders. Their core players are mid to late twenties and some earlie thirties. It would be wise to get what picks and prospect Low can get now to try and build a winner post CBA. I do understand that ever team would want Zetts, Dats and Fish, but no smart GM would give up their cheap (1.5 Million a year or under) stars of tomorrow for any mid to highly paid star of today in any deal this year. However, I could see a deal like the following take place:

To Det: LW Ryan Smyth, D Doug Lynch, 4th rounder 04.

To Edm: D Jiri Fischer, C Jiri Hudler, LW Tomas Fleischmann, D Derek Meech, 2nd rounder 05.
Firstly, that deal is worse than the 1st one you made. Lynch has been nothing sort of incredible in his first pro season, and looks to be about as close to being an NHL defenceman as possible.

Secondly, In order to win the cup, you do need veteran players in key roles. Smyth will be 32 in 4 years, which is hardly over the hill and useless... in fact it's a great age for one of your key players. Building for the future doesn't mean you have a full team with every player under 26. Comrie was traded because he wouldn't sign a contract, and after 4 months of trying to trade him for things that could help the Oilers now, he eventually settled on picks/prospects. The big difference is that Smyth is a) under contract and b) fairly happy in Edmonton.

If the Oilers want to be a contender in 4 years, they are going to still need guys like Smyth, Dvorak, York, etc... as veteran leaders to help the younger up and coming Oiler talent.

Old
02-17-2004, 10:06 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
even after the CBA do other team's fans still expect the oilers trade every big name UFA? i hope not

man Weight sure black marked this team pretty bad now (or lowe i still blame Douggy :p)

Old
02-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Matts

Listen Ken Holland

Datsyuk or Zetterberg or no dice.

Closed Thread