HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kevin Collins

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2004, 04:17 PM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Kevin Collins

is there anything worse than when you find out he's doing the lines

back end of a home & home, with a big rival, with some bad blood thrown in ... higly anticipated game and then ........ Collins

Old
02-14-2004, 04:29 PM
BCCHL inactive

All I am going to say, is that there is a reason Collins has been an NHL Linesman since 1978.

Old
02-14-2004, 04:32 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
All I am going to say, is that there is a reason Collins has been an NHL Linesman since 1978.
Hopefully it's 25 years and out .......

His one man act to ban fighting in hockey grows tiresome

Old
02-14-2004, 04:34 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Van I know you don't like this sort of stuff... but he is one linesman that deserves some criticism. However the way he reacts when a fight breaks out is humorous.

Old
02-14-2004, 04:36 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Thank God Sharp was credited with the faceoff goal.
He deserved all the credit on the first goal of the game.

Old
02-14-2004, 04:50 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
No one is saying anything about his linesmen ability. But he has an agenda, and that is to stop fights at all costs. The worst part is, he puts fighters in a bad position, like the Chara fighter where he GRABBED only Chara's arm while Vinny was allowed to punch at will. In the Flyers game today, he rushed in between Brashear and Purinton, and pushed over Brasher, just so a fight between two enforcers couldnt happen? What's the point of that?

Old
02-14-2004, 04:52 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
No one is saying anything about his linesmen ability. But he has an agenda, and that is to stop fights at all costs. The worst part is, he puts fighters in a bad position, like the Chara fighter where he GRABBED only Chara's arm while Vinny was allowed to punch at will. In the Flyers game today, he rushed in between Brashear and Purinton, and pushed over Brasher, just so a fight between two enforcers couldnt happen? What's the point of that?
Linesmen in every league are told that if they can prevent a fight, do it.

Old
02-14-2004, 04:54 PM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

KC is a clown, time to retirement for him.

Old
02-14-2004, 04:55 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
And to even put a player in danger to do this?

Old
02-14-2004, 05:02 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
And to even put a player in danger to do this?
I will agree that once a fight starts, linesmen should wait until it is safe to go in (ie: let them finish). Not only are they putting players in danger, but themselves as well.

That being said, the most common complaint about Collins is how he stops fights before they start....and that is likely the message being sent to the linesmen by the league.

Old
02-14-2004, 05:04 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
That being said, the most common complaint about Collins is how he stops fights before they start....and that is likely the message being sent to the linesmen by the league.
If that is the case, Collins is the only one in the league following through on that directive.

Old
02-14-2004, 05:42 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
If that is the case, Collins is the only one in the league following through on that directive.
Collins skates full speed from across the ice to stop fights. Its like he feels he is righteous because he stops fights! He gets his identity from it. Annoys the junk outtta me. :mad:

Old
02-14-2004, 05:53 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I will agree that once a fight starts, linesmen should wait until it is safe to go in (ie: let them finish). Not only are they putting players in danger, but themselves as well.

Not only with what John said, which is true, but Collins has started NUMEROUS brawls by stopping fights. If guys square off to go, why jump in? It just gets people more pissed, and then things boil over. Just let the guys get it out of their system.

Old
02-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Liquidrage*

Guys, guys...
I'm sure all three fans that have started watching hockey in the States because of the fighting crackdown appreciate the effort Mr Collins brings in making sure nothing exciting happens on the ice.

Old
02-14-2004, 06:58 PM
Afino
The Juice

If the boys wanna fight, you better let em.....

Old
02-14-2004, 07:56 PM
JCProdigy

well it happened today...anybody see him try to break up Purinton and Brashear...flew in as they were about to scuffle behind the net then tripped Brashear right on his ass. Brashear looked like he wanted to go with Collins after that.

Old
02-14-2004, 11:57 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I can't stand the way Collins jumps between two guys who wanna go and I think that the league has to back this guy off a bit. everyone knows that he is to zealous to break up a fight. I mean, tonight for instance, Brashear and Simon were starting to go at it behind the net and Collins comes flying in and shoves them both knocking Brashear on his butt. now it seemed harmless but what if Brashear had twisted his knee or hurt his shoulder bracing his fall? all because this idiot does't want any fighting on his watch.

Last edited by FlyersGuy69: 02-15-2004 at 01:48 AM.
Old
02-15-2004, 01:21 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
is there anything worse than when you find out he's doing the lines

back end of a home & home, with a big rival, with some bad blood thrown in ... higly anticipated game and then ........ Collins
The guy sucks, If two guys want to go, that is still allowed, stay the hell out of the way and let em go. Collis deserves all the critisism he gets.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:23 AM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Well, they should change that then, their job shouldnt be to prevent them, it should simply be to separate the guys when its one sided or they are out of gas.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:50 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Well, they should change that then, their job shouldnt be to prevent them, it should simply be to separate the guys when its one sided or they are out of gas.
According to the book, fighting is not part of hockey (theoretically it is, but officials aren't there to enforce theories). If the officials can prevent a fight without compromising the safety of the players and themselves, they should do so.

Also, if a couple players want to fight, they had better start fighting as soon as they drop their gloves...none of this dancing crap. If they want to dance 5 feet apart for more than 4-5 seconds, they're not getting the chance to go.

Old
02-15-2004, 07:54 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
He has pictures of the various bosses of officitaing in a compromising postitions?

Its sad that this pathetic mans agenda puts so many players in dangerous postitions. He considers his personal crusade bigger than the game or players safety.

As someone else said, he actually causes more problems because he frustrates players so much. I doubt you will find more than 1% of fans that want him officiating.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:24 AM
Mats_Hallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
According to the book, fighting is not part of hockey (theoretically it is, but officials aren't there to enforce theories). If the officials can prevent a fight without compromising the safety of the players and themselves, they should do so.

Also, if a couple players want to fight, they had better start fighting as soon as they drop their gloves...none of this dancing crap. If they want to dance 5 feet apart for more than 4-5 seconds, they're not getting the chance to go.
Did you get your copy signed by Bettman too?

The linesmen of old:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lou Fontinato.jpg‎ (37.7 KB, 58 views)

Old
02-15-2004, 09:18 AM
anonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

Paragraph 1) That is all fine and dandy, but the thread is about a guy who continually compromises the safety of others.

Paragraph 2) If it takes a couple seconds to get going, so be it. Collins, or any official for that matter, better have another official ready to move in when he does so one fighter doesn't gain an advantage, ie. holding one guy while the other throws punches without consequence. Collins rarely has another official ready when he is.

That is why this thread was started, not to bash officiating, there's plenty of other threads for that.

Anybody rememeber Joey Falcone? He's the guy who fell into the penalty box with Domi. Collins rushed in and grabbed Falcone. Domi, the class guy that he is, then proceeded to throw punches at Falcone. He didn't do much before Collins showed up, but once the guy was tied up by Collins he showed what kind of "man" he is. How would Collins look, or even feel, if Domi had really injured the guy because Collins put him in a vulnerable position?

The guy is a menace, but gets a pass because he is on the side of percieved good.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:20 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
This paragraph, if put into practice, would cause more dangerous situations, and brawls. If you break off two guys squaring off, you can be sure nothings settled, and things happen later in teh game. This is why I said Collins starts brawls. If two guys are going to fight, then let them. Also, if guys have to follow rules as to how they engaged a fight, just because Collins is to impatient to let guys square off, someone is goign to walk into a punch, and those are normally teh most dangerous. Plenty of linesmen or officials, if two guys seem to be taking to long to square off, instead of jumping in to save us all the horror of some fistacuffs, will simply heckle the fighters and tell them to quite screwing around.

Old
02-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
I

can't stand Kevin Collins and his curly hair helmet. He drives me nuts, him and his anti fighting crusade. I think he used to get beat up in school or something. He pisses me off beyond me belief, and I hope he retires. Nothing worse than seeing his red face and curly hair come out the tunnel when your team is playing.

Closed Thread