HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sarno for Tyler Moss

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2004, 05:23 PM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
While I would tend to agree with you, Burke has recently stated that he will not be trading Fedor. He said that he will be given a qualifying offer in the summer.

The risk is just too great to simply dump him off for a pick. Burke and the Canucks staff think he is the most talented guy in the system behind Naslund and Bertuzzi. And he has been on fire lately in Manitoba.
And this is why there are sane, rational people running most of the NHL teams... because some fans don't really think things through completely before trying to run a guy out of town.

Old
02-16-2004, 05:23 PM
t0mf00lery

Adam Oates for Fedor Fedorov?

Old
02-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankyouverymuch
Imagine..it was a coup to rid of Slegr for futures. Now if somebody would like unmotivated, sulky Fedor tht would be the icing on the cake...
You mean the same Jiri Slegr who has 17 points in 29 games and has exploded since joining the Bruins and getting decent minutes? Slegr was dealt because of a mutual agreement with management, not because he wasn't performing.

As for Fedor, he will not be traded so he can score 30 goals somewhere else and make the Canucks look like *****. He will prosper in Vancouver or he will rot, that is the stance the Canucks have taken.

Old
02-16-2004, 05:26 PM
ginner classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
I thought Sarno looked Ok when he played here for couple of games.

Anyway, an Ok deal, nothing special.

Speaking of Vancouver, what would be the cost to get Fedor Fedorov?
Fedorov and Mojzis for Rita.....two lottery tickets for one. Mojzis the puck carrying d-man, and Fed Fed the big, enigmatic and insanely talented centre.

Old
02-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
Sarno is a good hockey player...Sarno will be an NHL'er...
Sarno sits in the press box in the AHL on a somewhat regualr basis. He's had his cup of tea in the NHL (which was too much, in my opinion). Good luck to him finding a career in the AHL....

Old
02-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Skylla

The worst thing

I guess this is the worst thing you can do to a Toronto boy - send him to Winnipeg.
Sarno is a good hockey player when he places his mind to it. I guess the 'Runners will suffer a bit trying to battle for fifth playoff spot or maybe not since he hasn't been playing much after the concussion.

Old
02-16-2004, 07:14 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped
Sarno sits in the press box in the AHL on a somewhat regualr basis. He's had his cup of tea in the NHL (which was too much, in my opinion). Good luck to him finding a career in the AHL....
He was injured earlier this year.

ECH, I like this guy, he's got some excellent talent, especially with the puck, and is an overpay for an unnecessary goaltender, when we should be out getting Brent Johnson. Peter Sarno to me is an excellent 15th fwd, that is, a callup as well as a steady on your farm team, and will probably be in the NHL at least for a little while, sometime down the road. Probably never consistently, but at least for a bit. Good luck Pete!

Old
02-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
He was injured earlier this year.

ECH, I like this guy, he's got some excellent talent, especially with the puck, and is an overpay for an unnecessary goaltender, when we should be out getting Brent Johnson. Peter Sarno to me is an excellent 15th fwd, that is, a callup as well as a steady on your farm team, and will probably be in the NHL at least for a little while, sometime down the road. Probably never consistently, but at least for a bit. Good luck Pete!
If Brent Johnson can't get a start behind the AWFUL Chris Osgood, why would we want him here??? He's lazy, overpaid and if he is your answer for the Oilers, you're asking the wrong question....

Old
02-16-2004, 07:33 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
If Brent Johnson can't get a start behind the AWFUL Chris Osgood, why would we want him here??? He's lazy, overpaid and if he is your answer for the Oilers, you're asking the wrong question....
Frankly I think the Blues have black-balled him, and his numbers were just fine this year. He could turn it around here, the guy is talented, Not to mention cheap.

Old
02-16-2004, 07:41 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Frankly I think the Blues have black-balled him, and his numbers were just fine this year. He could turn it around here, the guy is talented, Not to mention cheap.
His numbers are marginally better than Salo's after the past couple of years, even though he has played on a much better team.

Old
02-16-2004, 07:44 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
His numbers are marginally better than Salo's after the past couple of years, even though he has played on a much better team.
His stats are a significant bit better than Salo's, and he's doing it for alot cheaper.

Old
02-16-2004, 07:46 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Cheap???? He's making a mill and a half and he's not even on their NHL roster. There's a reason St. Louis is trying to give him away......

Move on.....

Old
02-16-2004, 07:48 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Cheap???? He's making a mill and a half and he's not even on their NHL roster. There's a reason St. Louis is trying to give him away......

Move on.....
$1.5 mil for an NHL goalie is CHEAP.

Look at the 4 million dollar man we've got in there.

Old
02-16-2004, 07:55 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
His stats are a significant bit better than Salo's, and he's doing it for alot cheaper.
No they aren't a significant bit better than Salo's... try actually looking something up before spouting off:

Salo:

03-04: 12-15-5 2.54 .896
02-03: 29-27-8 2.71 .899
01-02: 30-28-10 2.22 .913

Johnson

03-04: 4-3-1 2.43 .901
02-03: 16-13-5 2.47 .900
01-02: 34-20-4 2.18 .902

Did you even look, or did you just start typing?

Old
02-16-2004, 07:56 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
No they aren't a significant bit better than Salo's... try actually looking something up before spouting off:

Salo:

03-04: 12-15-5 2.54 .896
02-03: 29-27-8 2.71 .899
01-02: 30-28-10 2.22 .913

Johnson

03-04: 4-3-1 2.43 .901
02-03: 16-13-5 2.47 .900
01-02: 34-20-4 2.18 .902

Did you even look, or did you just start typing?
\

Of course I looked, I've looked before and I know them fairly well, who are you trying to kid? Ya really want me to make this personal don't ya DB?......gawd

Old
02-16-2004, 08:01 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
$1.5 mil for an NHL goalie is CHEAP.

Look at the 4 million dollar man we've got in there.
I agree.... $1.5 mil is cheap for an NHL goalie.... but Johnson ISN'T an NHL goalie!!!

St. Louis has perhaps the weakest goaltending tandem in the league, ourselves included, and he's not even good enough to crack their roster....

Old
02-16-2004, 08:01 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
\

Of course I looked, I've looked before and I know them fairly well, who are you trying to kid? Ya really want me to make this personal don't ya DB?......gawd
So where is the significant bit better?

A significant bit better would be Fernandez' numbers, or Vokoun's.

Not Johnson's.

Old
02-16-2004, 08:07 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

Not Johnson's.
Johnson leads easily on GAA, more wins, fairly comparable save pct, with Johnson's likely going up and Salo's down.

Age.

Salary.

Old
02-16-2004, 08:07 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
\

The biggest problem with Johnson isn't his stats, salary or even ability.. it's his attitude! He's been widely reported to be a dressing room cancer and not a very good team guy at all.. the last thing the Oilers need is to add Johnson to our roster. We needed a goaltender for Toronto and we acquired one.. I don't think the loss of Sarno is anything to cry about. He looked okay up with the big club but he definitely wasn't a long term solution at the center spot.. Mike Bishai's decent play made him expendable.

Old
02-16-2004, 08:11 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Johnson leads easily on GAA, more wins, fairly comparable save pct, with Johnson's likely going up and Salo's down.

Age.

Salary.
Wins and GAA are directly attributed to the fact he was on one of the better teams in the league. Heck, I'd even argue that the save % was a little skewered in his favour because St.Louis wouldn't give up the same quality scoring chances that Edmonton did.

And going up? Looks to me like he went from starting goalie, to backup to out of the league, in 3 seasons.

Old
02-16-2004, 08:45 PM
M00se

It's a good trade. Moss gives us a guy that has at least played in the NHL and has some experience, a good back up for the time being. Not to mention that fact that he has been playing fairly well this year. Sarno for all his promise is no more than Swanson was.

However, I would have preferred Johnson to Moss. I'm of the opinion that he is a guy to take a chance on. I believe that it was 3 years ago in the playoffs that he had 3 shutouts in a row, Salo could never say that. He's still relativly young for a goalie and is worth another shot in the NHL.

Old
02-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00se
It's a good trade. Moss gives us a guy that has at least played in the NHL and has some experience, a good back up for the time being. Not to mention that fact that he has been playing fairly well this year. Sarno for all his promise is no more than Swanson was.

However, I would have preferred Johnson to Moss. I'm of the opinion that he is a guy to take a chance on. I believe that it was 3 years ago in the playoffs that he had 3 shutouts in a row, Salo could never say that. He's still relativly young for a goalie and is worth another shot in the NHL.
29 other GMs disagree - Johnson was waived with no takers this year. As others have said - his attitude and work ethic are crappy and this will result in him being out of the league very soon

Old
02-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Matts

I like the move

Sarno had run his course with the Oil and he was a small guy that played small. I don't mind small guys but if they can't play big they have to be very skilled.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...3?pid=00017668

Two seasons ago Moss had a wicked season for Lowell. Last year I read some great things about him in the Winnipeg Sun and how he was helping the Moose. This year I read he was showing lots of attitude about Auld's expanded role. He should've known they would put their eggs in his basket as he's the backup future in Van.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Moss getting an NHL start over Morrison.

I know Ron McLean loves him, whatever that means

Old
02-16-2004, 09:29 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
29 other GMs disagree - Johnson was waived with no takers this year.
Actually all 30 GM's disagree..... Pleau put him on waivers in the first place.

LMHF#1, you can trumpet Johnson's name up and down these boards, but when 30 of 30 GM's in the league don't want this guy, I'd say you don't really have a leg to stand on.

Old
02-16-2004, 10:48 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:

Not Johnson's.
To show that you can prove anything you want via statistics try these numbers:
Johnson GP 143 Wins 76 = 53% wins
Salo GP 512 Wins 204 = 39.8% wins

Johnson GAA - 2.26
Salo GAA - 2.55

Is 53% significantly better than 40%? I know which of these numbers I'd pick.
Is allowing .29 fewer goals per game significantly better? Sure looks like it.

Paying an extra $3M for poorer numbers - priceless.

Closed Thread