HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What about Boumeester?

Old
06-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Oilforblood

vCash: 500
What about Boumeester?

With the Jokinen deal bringing Ballard to Florida, does this mean Boumeester is now officially on the market?

I wonder if this would be a popular idea... trade Pitkanen to florida for Boumeester? Neither defenceman seems to want to be a part of thier respective teams. Both are bonafide top pairing defenders with offensive upsides. Im sure it wouldn't be a 1-for-1 deal, and the the Oil would have to sweeten the deal a little with a forward too (Schremp possibly...), but it might be a nice fit for both teams.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Oilforblood: 06-23-2008 at 12:10 PM.
Oilforblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:05 AM
OilFanInCowtown

I think Pitkanen not wanting to be in Edmonton is made up by bloggers and bored sports writers.

JBo might actually be sick of losing and only agree to a one year deal (making him UFA in a year).

I'd do the trade, but JBo would garner some serious interest.

OilFanInCowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
If that deal is made available, I'd jump all over it.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

If JBo is expendable due to Ballard why would they want Pitkanen back who would cost just as much?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Terry Cahill

I thought he didn't want to play in Edmonton?

Terry Cahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:30 AM
okgooil

Fla is a bad team, but they are building around Bou. He isn't going any were.

Lets talk in a couple years.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:40 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Pitkanen does want to be here. Its Jay who supposedly does not.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 12:14 PM
OmegaTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
Maybe we need a sticky thread for that.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
If JBo is expendable due to Ballard why would they want Pitkanen back who would cost just as much?
..Because its Florida ?

Quote:
Where'd this originally come from.. Even from the start a few years back, I asked for a link and nothing was linked.. prob because its made up.

Link please to whom ever can provide one.

Old
06-23-2008, 01:22 PM
tiger_80

And what about Bowmeester? I have not heard about him wanting out of Florida and of Martin trading him?

JBo for Pitkanen is at best a lateral move for FLA, but more than likely a serious downgrade.

This thread is about as useful as asking "What about Lecavalier?" after Richards got traded.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 01:26 PM
oilers4life5

Florida is slim up front. If J-bo gets traded it will be for forwards not d-men. So the question is what forwards are you willing to give up?

Cogliano,Nilsson,Horcoff,Stoll,Torres????

This is what I would be willing to give up? We need scoring not D-men

To edm-
J-bo

To fla-
Stoll
Torres
Smid/Grebishkov or a 1st/Shcremp or a first or maybe Petry

If they wanted Nilsson,Cogliano or Horcoff I dont think it is worth it!

Last edited by oilers4life5: 06-23-2008 at 06:46 PM.
oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:45 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilforblood View Post
With the Jokinen deal bringing Ballard to Florida, does this mean Boumeester is now officially on the market?

I wonder if this would be a popular idea... trade Pitkanen to florida for Boumeester? Neither defenceman seems to want to be a part of thier respective teams. Both are bonafide top pairing defenders with offensive upsides. Im sure it wouldn't be a 1-for-1 deal, and the the Oil would have to sweeten the deal a little with a forward too (Schremp possibly...), but it might be a nice fit for both teams.

Thoughts?
Why would it possibly mean that?

06-23-2008, 05:49 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanegan View Post
I thought he didn't want to play in Edmonton?
It's just hearsay and second hand knowledge. I don't think he's admitted to the media that he would not like to play in Edmonton. Apparently his family doesn't want him to go through the scrutiny that Mike Comrie went through before his Oiler exit.

outKast* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 05:51 PM
IRevn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
Florida is slim up front. If J-bo gets traded it will be for forwards not d-men. So the question is what forwards are you willing to give up?

Cogliano,Nilsson,Horcoff,Stoll,Torres????

This is what I would be willing to give up? We need scoring not D-men

To edm-
J-bo

To fla-
Stoll
Torres
Smid/Grebishkov and a 1st/Shcremp and a first or maybe Petry

If they wanted Nilsson,Cogliano or Horcoff I dont think it is worth it!
I don't think Bouwmeester is worth that much, especially with petry or another first in there. I don't even think adding schremp in there is worth it. To me it would be:

To edm: Bouwmeester

To fla: stoll, torres, smid/grebeshkov, and a first

IRevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanye View Post
It's just hearsay and second hand knowledge. I don't think he's admitted to the media that he would not like to play in Edmonton. Apparently his family doesn't want him to go through the scrutiny that Mike Comrie went through before his Oiler exit.
Well, apparently he made the comment to a Florida beat reporter, but I never saw any links either. Makes sense though, because he made the comment a couple years ago. If you're 18, making tons of cash and you live in Ft. Lauderdale, why would you want to play anywhere else? Seriously the guy had it made at that age. But I'm sure now that he's matured and is taking hockey a lot more seriously, he wouldn't complain about being traded to a team that is contending to make the playoffs. He's probably pretty ticked they moved Jokinen too.

Personally I think the whole "home town kids don't wanna play in Edmonton" is bs. Comrie was under extra scrutiny because his father was a prominent business owner. At the end of the day Edmonton will run players out of town who aren't Edmontonians too- just ask Chris Pronger. But if you come here and play your game, we'll accept you just fine. Ask Smyth, Horcoff, Pisani, etc.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Luongo4VP

Can you blame JayBo's parents's for caring about their son's life in the NHL, and going as far as saying that they would not welcome the idea of him playing in Edmonton?

Look at what happened to guys like Comrie,Chimera,Whitney and Lupul, do you actually believe Parents would risk having their kids endure that same amount of pressure and scrutiny, that others have recieved playing here?

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 06:47 PM
oilers4life5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRevn View Post
I don't think Bouwmeester is worth that much, especially with petry or another first in there. I don't even think adding schremp in there is worth it. To me it would be:

To edm: Bouwmeester

To fla: stoll, torres, smid/grebeshkov, and a first
I ment or in my post not and! I think you are bang on.

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 07:32 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilFanInCowtown View Post
I think Pitkanen not wanting to be in Edmonton is made up by bloggers and bored sports writers.

JBo might actually be sick of losing and only agree to a one year deal (making him UFA in a year).

I'd do the trade, but JBo would garner some serious interest.
Totally agree on the Pitkanen hating Edmonton crap. I've seen nothing from a legit media source. And I'd add some radio sports guys to your list.

I'd hate to lose Pitkanen, but I might do it for JayBo. Really not sure about the trade as it seem lateral to me, a bit better defensively, but less offensive potential. We do still have Grebs and Gilbert with Chorney and Petry in the system, so I'd probably do it, but only if we could sign him long term.

But if Pitkanen wants to sign long term, I wouldn't make the deal.

Quote:
I have little doubt about JayBo preferring not to play here, ever since his post draft interview. He was asked if he was hoping to go to Edmonton somehow, and he danced around the question by saying the Wings were actually his fav team growing up so they were his first choice. Or something to that effect.

But I'd hope that with the kids in our system, he might reconsider. He is likely worried of the hometown pressure and what if he doesn't play well here. But playing on a winning team can tend to change minds, and our future is looking solid here. And it looks even better with a long term Joni or JayBo signed.

Hire McLellan Draft McDavid. Solidify the D and G
s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 07:47 PM
McVespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
If they trade B it will not be because of $ it will be because he has decided to go to free agency.

McVespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 07:53 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
If they trade B it will not be because of $ it will be because he has decided to go to free agency.
He's an RFA, they can match any offer.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Well, apparently he made the comment to a Florida beat reporter, but I never saw any links either. Makes sense though, because he made the comment a couple years ago. If you're 18, making tons of cash and you live in Ft. Lauderdale, why would you want to play anywhere else? Seriously the guy had it made at that age. But I'm sure now that he's matured and is taking hockey a lot more seriously, he wouldn't complain about being traded to a team that is contending to make the playoffs. He's probably pretty ticked they moved Jokinen too.
Exactly, apparently is right. Never anything concrete just rumours spreading and evolving between each host.

Quote:
Personally I think the whole "home town kids don't wanna play in Edmonton" is bs. Comrie was under extra scrutiny because his father was a prominent business owner. At the end of the day Edmonton will run players out of town who aren't Edmontonians too- just ask Chris Pronger. But if you come here and play your game, we'll accept you just fine. Ask Smyth, Horcoff, Pisani, etc.
I'm sorry, but we didnt run Pronger out of town, he ran himself out of town and deserved everything he got. If he did the same thing to another team as he did here, he'd have the same reaction from the fans there.

Old
06-23-2008, 08:02 PM
McVespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
He's an RFA, they can match any offer.
He is for one more year I believe and then Ufa. that is what i was talking about. If they cant sign him to a long term deal they will have no choice but to trade him. They cant afford to let him go Ufa.

McVespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:41 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
..Because its Florida ?

Where'd this originally come from.. Even from the start a few years back, I asked for a link and nothing was linked.. prob because its made up.

Link please to whom ever can provide one.
There's no link, his agent wouldn't let him say that on the record but he told me. That was a few years ago, he may be tired of losing now. He may have matured and might be more willing to take some pressure and become a part of a winning team, if he's playing for the money we don't want him, if he's playing because he wants to win a cup and is ready to take some leadership then i would love him. He's a phenomenal hockey player.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:48 PM
tiger_80

Bowmeester would no doubt be a great addition to our defensive corps, but acquiring him from FLA is about as realistic as prying Malkin from Pitts, much less for the scrap pieces --Torres, Stoll and Schremp...

Let's hope Lowe can keep Pitkanen--at least for this year.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastoftheBest11 View Post
Can you blame JayBo's parents's for caring about their son's life in the NHL, and going as far as saying that they would not welcome the idea of him playing in Edmonton?

Look at what happened to guys like Comrie,Chimera,Whitney and Lupul, do you actually believe Parents would risk having their kids endure that same amount of pressure and scrutiny, that others have recieved playing here?
or Fuhr, Messier, Gregg, Pisani, Brodziak,