HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wellwood placed on Waivers (TSN) Claimed by VAN

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2008, 03:04 PM
  #1
JayMan82
Registered User
 
JayMan82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,307
vCash: 500
Wellwood placed on Waivers (TSN) Claimed by VAN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241542

I believe he played Center and Wing... What do you guys think? I feel he's got some skills to produce...

JayMan82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:06 PM
  #2
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241542

I believe he played Center and Wing... What do you guys think? I feel he's got some skills to produce...
Does'nt really fit......unless they move Drury to the wing but not for a Wellwood.........Sundin yep

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:07 PM
  #3
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241542

I believe he played Center and Wing... What do you guys think? I feel he's got some skills to produce...
Was just reading this as well. He might be a cheap playmaker for Drury, but I think his injury history will keep him off the radar.

Supposedly they aren't waiving him to buy him out either, just sending him to the minors.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:08 PM
  #4
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241542

I believe he played Center and Wing... What do you guys think? I feel he's got some skills to produce...
Isn't the knock against him his work ethic? He's still young, signed at a reasonable salary, and yes, he's got some skills. But the fact he's a young guy and has been placed on waivers by a team that's looking to rebuild with youth suggests there's a flaw there. I'd rather give our own kids a shot.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:10 PM
  #5
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Supposedly they aren't waiving him to buy him out either, just sending him to the minors.
Why would you do that in the middle of the summer?

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:11 PM
  #6
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
honestly, i would claim him

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:11 PM
  #7
NYReign
Registered User
 
NYReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
I once liked him a lot but it sounds like he's gone rapidly downhill and is way too prone to injuries to be counted on. If we claim him, what happens salary wise (I believe he is an RFA, according to nhlnumbers)? If no one picks him up in a few days after July, I'd be thrilled to sign him to a camp tryout or an AHL deal but I wouldn't count on him in the NHL and since those other situations are unlikely at best, I'll say pass.

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:13 PM
  #8
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Why would you do that in the middle of the summer?
Why are you asking me? I'm not their GM, lol.

I'd imagine they're looking to free up roster spots if its true, but the "he isn't being bought out" statement was coming from EJ on NHL live, so who knows?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:15 PM
  #9
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,614
vCash: 500
I'd claim him. If he doesen't work out no biggie we just waive him again. He has a lot of untouched potential and could be benefit on our 3rd/4th lines. He's a good playmaker and could put up decent points.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:17 PM
  #10
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,780
vCash: 500
Allow me SBOB :

Who's spot does he take?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:17 PM
  #11
Richter35
Registered User
 
Richter35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Why are you asking me? I'm not their GM, lol.

I'd imagine they're looking to free up roster spots if its true, but the "he isn't being bought out" statement was coming from EJ on NHL live, so who knows?
He's not being bought out because he's an rfa and isnt under contract. it seems that rather than throw him a QO they are waiving him to be claimed, its more of a slap in the face than anything. I'm told he only plays C, so having him take drurys place between dawes/cally and having drury slide up to gomers wing while taking draws on the PK wouldnt be that bad, assuming wellwood puts something into his conditioning. I had him on my fantasy team the year before last when he actually produced, thought he had more in the tank

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:18 PM
  #12
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Isn't the knock against him his work ethic?
Yes. I just saw where someone was saying the reason he's injured all the time is that his work ethic is crap and he never wants to work out. To the point where the Leafs pointed out that it's in his contract that he has to work out, and if he didn't, they'd fine him. He still wouldn't work out.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:19 PM
  #13
NYReign
Registered User
 
NYReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
For argument's sake I'd slot him in on the third line with Drury and Cally which relegates both Sjostrom and Korpikoski to the fourth. In theory it might work, but I'm very wary of counting on him.

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:19 PM
  #14
silverfish
KEVIN!
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 15,969
vCash: 500
I'd rather build within our own team for now. There's got to be a reason that Toronto would just give up on him.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:19 PM
  #15
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Allow me SBOB :

Who's spot does he take?
avery's spot


dawes - gomez - ufa
wellwood - dubi - ?
korpedo - drury - cally
moore - blair - orr

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:22 PM
  #16
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
avery's spot


dawes - gomez - ufa
wellwood - dubi - ?
korpedo - drury - cally
moore - blair - orr
there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wellwood.jpg‎ (85.2 KB, 168 views)

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:23 PM
  #17
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
I'd rather build within our own team for now. There's got to be a reason that Toronto would just give up on him.
Lazy sonofa*****/

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:24 PM
  #18
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,969
vCash: 500
guys....the reason he is being let go is because for the last 2-3 years he has come to camp totally out of shape and is very very lazy...does he have good playmaking skills....yes, there is no doubt, however we are looking at a very very soft, older version of bourret.....he gets injured all the time because he is out of shape and pulls tendons and muscles and is UBER soft....BIG PASS

he is backman on forward minus the size and ability to stay healthy

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:25 PM
  #19
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
there
Is he in that picture?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:29 PM
  #20
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
there
how long till the cast comes off?

and seriously...he's in the same shape as me!

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:33 PM
  #21
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,780
vCash: 500
Reg: "Boy, every piece of garbage that comes into the market you gotta buy it!"

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:36 PM
  #22
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Is he in that picture?
yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
how long till the cast comes off?

and seriously...he's in the same shape as me!
That was not a compliment, was it?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:39 PM
  #23
Nich
Registered User
 
Nich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wantagh
Country: Croatia
Posts: 6,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
yes.

That was not a compliment, was it?
nope...i am paid to sit at a desk all day.....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:41 PM
  #24
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,547
vCash: 500
Why would you claim him right now when you would have to give him a QO? The leafs are not going to qualify him and in a week if the rangers wanted to they could just sign him..you can make a case (and i'm not) that the rangers could let sjostrom go and bring in wellwood...i dont think the rangers should have either player but i can see the logic behind that sort of move...

i really think some of our fine members want to claim Wellwood for the simple reason they want a new player on the roster it doesn't matter who but as long as it's a name they recognize.....patience my friends..patience..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 03:50 PM
  #25
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
i really think some of our fine members want to claim Wellwood for the simple reason they want a new player on the roster it doesn't matter who but as long as it's a name they recognize.....patience my friends..patience..
The grass is always greener on the other side... even if it's a field of crabgrass and dandelions.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.