HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Overall Draft Grade

View Poll Results: grade
10 3 2.16%
9 6 4.32%
8 38 27.34%
7 57 41.01%
6 17 12.23%
5 5 3.60%
4 6 4.32%
3 2 1.44%
2 0 0%
1 5 3.60%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-21-2008, 05:43 PM
cmb572

vCash: 500
Rangers Overall Draft Grade

Just curious as i dont know much about del zotto and our other picks...What grade 1-10(one being the worst..10 best obv) would you give us overall. i just wanna know what the overall feeling for our draft picks are.

cmb572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 05:46 PM
albynomonk

I say 10, to average out Inferno's imminent 3.

albynomonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 05:49 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Would be great if folks could post links to draft grades articles as they become available. I haven't found any yet.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

8.5 out of 10

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Celestial Black

6.5-7 is my rating.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:21 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
8. Or B, however you want to put it.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Hockey2000nyr

im pretty happy about the potential with this draft class. with what i hear about grachev he could come away as a potential steal, especially if we get him to come over and play here. and del zotto sounds to be a pretty solid pick, now hes just gotta get the mental aspect of his game higher so he can really stand out the way he was projected to at the beginning of the year.

overall i say 8. we still need that scoring winger....

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

8- overall better than last year I think.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Unk

This is the first draft I've bothered to put even the smallest amount of research on before-hand, so there were certain players I was interested in. I guess I'd have to say a 7 atm.

I wanted a scoring winger, and though we passed on the ones I wouldn't preferred (Tedenby and Petrov) its possible Stepan could become that. Granted, with Petrov, I thought we could nab him in the 3rd and thought it'd be a good idea to gamble on him falling, so I can't fault the Rangers for not taking him in the second.

We can't have too many offensive defensemen, so long as they can play defense, and Del Zotto is an intriguing pick. He could be awesome in a few years.

I guess the only thing I didn't like was trading Bourret to get that late 3rd rounder, for some defensemen out of nowhere. I guess I'm happy they didn't go for some physical defenseman who can't do anything else and could be some bottom-pairing guy. I don't know enough to pass judgement on the later rounds. Anyway, this could be an 8 or 9 later, depending on how these guys develop.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 06:55 PM
ThisYearsModel

I voted 3. I am fine with the Del Zotto pick, but don't see much to be joyful about after that. The Rangers sat on their hands and did not start trading up to improve until too late. They therefore missed on a bunch of very good prospects. Not that I have any idea how any of these kids will pan out, of course

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

It's impossible to judge this draft right now...

If in 5 years we have 2 NHL players that's a success..I just don't see any other way to judge a draft class..Did we add some nice assets in the system? maybe, we did but nobody can say for sure right now...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

I'd like to thank "DevFan-RU-" for taking the time to offer his opinion in this poll. A 1 is very insightful and probably not biased at all.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I think it was a mediocre draft. Seems to me that they took a huge gamble on their 2nd rounder again for the 2nd time in as many years. I guess they see something in the guy they like enough to go after him, and I hope they are right.

Overall again though I think it was just mediocre.

Their pick of Del Zotto has me scratchng my head a little with Carlson still on the board. Maybe they didn't like Carlson at all though? I am pretty certain though that the Rangers didn't think at all they were going to draft Del Zotto though. Clark mentioned to Blueshirt Bulletin that they were looking to advance in this draft. I guess they had someone in mind, but for whatever reason it didn't happen. Maybe they got outbid, or maybe thier player was already gone by the time they were up to the team they were trying to deal with? One thing is certain to me though, I don't think they had any intentions on drafting Del Zotto becuase they didn't have a jersey with the guys name on it. I would love to know who they really were targeting in this draft. Maybe it will come out in an interview later on.

After last off-season though, this one seems to be starting off quite the opposite. Last year they had Cherepanov fall on their laps. This year they draft a player that is strikingly similar to one already in the system.

I also have the feeling that the July 1 will not be at all like last years also. Larry Brooks reporting that they don't intend to basically re-sign any of their UFA's. Definately leaves me scratching my head a little here. The glaring problem that I see here though is supply and demand driving the value of this UFA class through the roof! I have a feeling the Rangers are going to miss the boat somewhat in this off-season, and we are going to see a lot of kids in the system next year from Hartford.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:25 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I think it was a mediocre draft. Seems to me that they took a huge gamble on their 2nd rounder again for the 2nd time in as many years. I guess they see something in the guy they like enough to go after him, and I hope they are right.

Their pick of Del Zotto has me scratchng my head a little with Carlson still on the board. Maybe they didn't like Carlson at all though? I am pretty certain though that the Rangers didn't think at all they were going to draft Del Zotto though. Clark mentioned to Blueshirt Bulletin that they were looking to advance in this draft. I guess they had someone in mind, but for whatever reason it didn't happen. Maybe they got outbid, or maybe thier player was already gone by the time they were up to the team they were trying to deal with? One thing is certain to me though, I don't think they had any intentions on drafting Del Zotto becuase they didn't have a jersey with the guys name on it. I would love to know who they really were targeting in this draft. Maybe it will come out in an interview later on.

After last off-season though, this one seems to be starting off quite the opposite. Last year they had Cherepanov fall on their laps. This year they draft a player that is strikingly similar to one already in the system.

I also have the feeling that the July 1 will not be at all like last years also. Larry Brooks reporting that they don't intend to basically re-sign any of their UFA's. Definately leaves me scratching my head a little here. The glaring problem that I see here though is supply and demand driving the value of this UFA class through the roof! I have a feeling the Rangers are going to miss the boat somewhat in this off-season, and we are going to see a lot of kids in the system next year from Hartford.
Maybe 'cause they thought he'd be long gone...?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:27 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
you guys do realize our highest pick was number 20 overall right? Essentially we took the BPA at each pick, how did we not atleast do well??? list the players we would have rather taken at each spot, and none of them are cant miss, lets be realistic we did well with what we had

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:29 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post

or maybe they didnt know if they were moving up, down, staying in place, how at # 20 can you think your guy will be there for sure?

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:31 PM
2 Late 2 Anton

Send a message via AIM to 2 Late 2 Anton Send a message via MSN to 2 Late 2 Anton
Relative to the talent of this draft, I'd say it's an eight, but relative to the talent we drafted, I'll give it a seven. Del Zotto's a project, but looks like he has potential. More Russians are always interesting, Weise is a big kid, and uhh, those are the only draft picks that I know anything about.

2 Late 2 Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
you guys do realize our highest pick was number 20 overall right? Essentially we took the BPA at each pick, how did we not atleast do well??? list the players we would have rather taken at each spot, and none of them are cant miss, lets be realistic we did well with what we had
From what I've read, a lot of people do not think that we took the BPA each time. People become particularly enamored with certain players, and when that player is available and we don't grab him, people are disappointed.

I think we did well for ourselves. I understand where the doubters are coming from, I just respectfully disagree.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:39 PM
yankeecpt15

where's the beef on the backline?

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

7.5, but I'll round it up to a 8. Potential to be a 9 if multiple players pan out, but could also be a 6 if some of the mid-rounders bust.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Levitate

Eh, maybe a 7.5 if I could rank it that way. Del Zotta is a big talent, but has question marks. Still, best player available and if he puts up 60 points and throws big hits in the NHL, then fans will like him.

Other guys seem ok. Some good shots at talent and a few players who were projected to go earlier based on their talent.

Nothing really exciting overall, but it seems like a solid draft. For the people calling for a physical defenseman, the Rangers already have guys who use their size effectively on defense, and I don't think there were any really good physical defensemen left that were worth taking over a talent like Del Zotto. Carlson? I bet you he ends up as an OK 2nd pairing defenseman who is pretty physical, but doesn't create a real impact on the game.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by albynomonk View Post
I say 10, to average out Inferno's imminent 3.
LOL!

good call!

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'm not up on any of the guys drafted in the later rounds, but I'm pretty disappointed that they went with Del Zotto instead of Carlson. He just seemed like he was the exact player that we needed, and granted he probably wouldn't step into the league for a couple seasons, I don't think Del Zotto makes sense.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 08:58 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
LOL!

good call!
Does that mean you voted 1 to counter balance the counter balance? (To the best of your ability)

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Does that mean you voted 1 to counter balance the counter balance? (To the best of your ability)
hah, no.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote