HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Steve Bégin

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2004, 07:21 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

vCash: 500
Steve Bégin

Night after night, this guy always finds a way to impress me. He's what we lack for the last 3 years. Even more impressive is the time he gets PKing with Jason Ward.

My question is : Is he a part of the future (Komisarek, Higgins, Kasts, Balej...) ?

I watch him and I can't wait until playoff time ! He will be a freaking monster !

Old
02-10-2004, 07:24 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
If Steve Begin is not part of the future at 25-years-old, than our future must be really, really good.

The guy is great! He slams a Florida player when he loses his helmet, then he skates circles around the Panthers 'D' with the puck in his skates.

Old
02-10-2004, 08:11 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
If Steve Begin is not part of the future at 25-years-old, than our future must be really, really good.

The guy is great! He slams a Florida player when he loses his helmet, then he skates circles around the Panthers 'D' with the puck in his skates.
yes he's a part of it ;the team has a lot players that are more first and secound liners .3 players could be good players for a third line ;HIggins ( or 2 th line ) ,Ferland and Lapierre.Begin will be a good 3-4 th liner,

Old
02-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyF

My question is : Is he a part of the future (Komisarek, Higgins, Kasts, Balej...) ?
He is if he continues to play the way he has so far this year. The only thing I wonder is playing the style he plays, I don't know if he is going to be the type of guy you can who you can depend on playing 80 games a year.

Great pick up especially when you consider age.

Old
02-11-2004, 08:00 AM
future consideration

He's exactly the type of player we could use in Buffalo. Wait a minute, didn't we have before??

Bad move by Regeir by not protecting him.

Old
02-11-2004, 09:03 AM
Joe Cole

I really like what he brings to the ice. Fearless and showing signs of smarts (i.e. that kicking the puck around/killing penalty thang).

But.... I fear this syndrom. Bring in a 3rd liner.... he plays over his head....we all fall in love with him... contract expires...we offer him more then market value.... he gets comfy in a Habs jersey... he stops crashing the boards and starts doing things he is not capable of .... we have a another 3rd/4th line under achiever...

Think Juneau, Dackell, Kilger.... and that is just from this roster.

Old
02-11-2004, 09:12 AM
PrairieHabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
I really like what he brings to the ice. Fearless and showing signs of smarts (i.e. that kicking the puck around/killing penalty thang).

But.... I fear this syndrom. Bring in a 3rd liner.... he plays over his head....we all fall in love with him... contract expires...we offer him more then market value.... he gets comfy in a Habs jersey... he stops crashing the boards and starts doing things he is not capable of .... we have a another 3rd/4th line under achiever...

Think Juneau, Dackell, Kilger.... and that is just from this roster.
You make a valid point, however, this is where the team's depth comes into play. Until the past couple of years the Habs didn't have enough quality prospects to challenge the players on the big club. So, players didn't feel pushed by someone on the farm and didn't play like their were concerned about keeping their job. In the past year or two as more of the prospects have developed that seems to be changing and players have seen what happens when you simply stop producing or working (ie. Audette and Czerk). The combination of prospects pushing the 3rd and 4th liners and a new, more aggressive approach to non-producing vets should help to avoid what you described. It won't guarantee it won't happen but it should make it less likely.

Old
02-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyF
Night after night, this guy always finds a way to impress me. He's what we lack for the last 3 years. Even more impressive is the time he gets PKing with Jason Ward.

I watch him and I can't wait until playoff time ! He will be a freaking monster !
First of all, Begin was always a bubble player before coming to montreal, now the situation has turned greatly for him. I think it is safe to say Begin is part of our future for several reasons. However, I have some news for some, Begin is definitely not a third liner, if he is, it means your forward crop is not too good. I know he is a fan favorite but I don't think he will be over-played as a result. I also think that talking about our prospects for justifying that maybe he has no place on this team is pointless because most of our forwards prospects are scorers and third liner. Maxim Lapierre, Ferland and Bonneau comes to mind when I think about the possible future fourth line/role players that the habs currently have in their ranks, they won't probably all develop into NHLer.

Steve Begin is a fan favorite and ideal fourth line agitator with good smarts, hockey sense and is also a good faceoff man, I don't see him leaving if he keeps his current play. I think he could have a similar career to Ian Lapperriere and stay with us for longer than your usual fourth liner stays with the same team.

Last edited by Mathieu Lavergne: 02-11-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old
02-11-2004, 11:52 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by future consideration
He's exactly the type of player we could use in Buffalo. Wait a minute, didn't we have before??

Bad move by Regeir by not protecting him.
You are absolutely right there. Even more puzzling is why did Sutter move him from Calgary. He seems like a real Sutter-like player. Maybe he has just come into his own since moving to Montreal...

Old
02-11-2004, 11:58 AM
future consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan
You are absolutely right there. Even more puzzling is why did Sutter move him from Calgary. He seems like a real Sutter-like player. Maybe he has just come into his own since moving to Montreal...
Can't speak for Sutter but I thought he could've been protected over some of the other players the Sabres protected. I mean the Sabres need grit and a agitator in the worst way. They're too small and not tough enough. A line of Peter-Begin-Mair would look very good in Buffalo.

Old
02-11-2004, 01:12 PM
habs_pat

About Bégin

I remember Bégin from the QJMHL with the Val d'Or Foreurs, they did go to the Memorial Cup with JP Dumont, Bégin and Luongo. Bégin was the captain at that time. He was the heart of the team.

In the future, if Koivu leaves, he may be the captain who knows....

Old
02-11-2004, 01:36 PM
PrairieHabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_pat
I remember Bégin from the QJMHL with the Val d'Or Foreurs, they did go to the Memorial Cup with JP Dumont, Bégin and Luongo. Bégin was the captain at that time. He was the heart of the team.

It's great that Begin has shown leadership qualities like that in the past but it is very unlikely that the Habs would ever make him captain. You can't have a 4th liner serve as your captain. The guy wearing the C needs to be a key player on your team on and off the ice. Having said that, you can't have enough players like Begin to provide leadership as a whole.

Old
02-12-2004, 01:01 PM
habs_pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieHabber
It's great that Begin has shown leadership qualities like that in the past but it is very unlikely that the Habs would ever make him captain. You can't have a 4th liner serve as your captain. The guy wearing the C needs to be a key player on your team on and off the ice. Having said that, you can't have enough players like Begin to provide leadership as a whole.

Well if i remember, Mike Keane wasn't a top 2 line member... and as long as there is leadership and respect from the other players. The fact is that the guy has to win the locker room. Koivu won it by default because there wasn't somebody who could take that place at the moment...

Old
02-12-2004, 02:53 PM
Cariboux

Quote:

I remember him I think it was this year that he played for canada in WJC and he said that it was his father who learns him to play hard every day and always work very hard to deserves your ice time

Old
02-12-2004, 02:57 PM
Loup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieHabber
It's great that Begin has shown leadership qualities like that in the past but it is very unlikely that the Habs would ever make him captain. You can't have a 4th liner serve as your captain. The guy wearing the C needs to be a key player on your team on and off the ice.
Guy Carbonneau ?

Old
02-12-2004, 03:16 PM
PrairieHabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup
Guy Carbonneau ?
Guy Carbonneau wasn't a 4th liner. He centred the checking line and was on the ice against the other team's top lines and killing penalties.

Old
02-12-2004, 03:20 PM
PrairieHabber

Quote:
Well if i remember, Mike Keane wasn't a top 2 line member... and as long as there is leadership and respect from the other players. The fact is that the guy has to win the locker room. Koivu won it by default because there wasn't somebody who could take that place at the moment...
Like Carbonneau, Keane was a key part of the team's checking line. Saying Koivu became the captain by default is absolutely ridiculous. Koivu has captained every key Finnish team he has played on from the World Jr's to World Championships. He was named captain because the club saw the same leadership qualities in him that every other team has that he has played for.

Old
02-13-2004, 08:05 AM
habs_pat

Koivu Captain

Well if it's ridiculous to say that Koivu was captain by default, let me tell you that Koivu is one of the worst captain the Habs had in years. He does'nt show leadership at all. The only time he had some effect on this team was when he had cancer. That says a lot...

Old
02-13-2004, 08:09 AM
PrairieHabber

Quote:
Well if it's ridiculous to say that Koivu was captain by default, let me tell you that Koivu is one of the worst captain the Habs had in years. He does'nt show leadership at all. The only time he had some effect on this team was when he had cancer. That says a lot...
I think you meant Pierre Turgeon when you typed this sentence. If you think that Koivu is one of the worst captains the team has had then you have taken your 6th post to discredit your knowledge of the club. Are you in the dressing room on a regular basis? All I can go by is the fact that Koivu is repeatedly chosen as the team captain on whatever team he plays for. I think that speaks volumes. You're entitled to your opinion, but saying Koivu is such a bad captain just makes you look silly.

Old
02-13-2004, 08:26 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Next time you're in the room can you give me a call, I've always thought that would be cool.

Geez, did I wake up sarcastic today.

Old
02-13-2004, 08:29 AM
mcphee

i heard a guy named Beliveau recently talking about how on the train, the team would go to the club car and have a few, while travelling, but he didn't join them as he preferred to retire to his berth and read. Now what the hell kind of leadership is that ? Can they revoke his C after the fact ?

Old
02-16-2004, 08:28 AM
habs_pat

About Koivu

Ok No i'm not on a regular basis in the Habs lockeroom, but you got to admit that since Koivu is the Captain of the Habs, you don't get to see real chemistry on the ice. Sure when you win, there's no problem. But if we take last year or the last 5 years, it's Koivu's ability for someone to step up and talk to the guys in the lockeroom that i'm not sure he can do. He's more of a quiet leader than anything else. And as for Turgeon, i also agree, he should not have been made Captain at all. But sibce Carbonneau left, i feel we did'nt get to see a real leader.

It's not that i don't like Koivu or anything like that. It's just his ability to be a leader in an NHL lockeroom, that i'm not sure.

Old
02-16-2004, 08:36 AM
PrairieHabber

Quote:
Ok No i'm not on a regular basis in the Habs lockeroom, but you got to admit that since Koivu is the Captain of the Habs, you don't get to see real chemistry on the ice. Sure when you win, there's no problem. But if we take last year or the last 5 years, it's Koivu's ability for someone to step up and talk to the guys in the lockeroom that i'm not sure he can do. He's more of a quiet leader than anything else. And as for Turgeon, i also agree, he should not have been made Captain at all. But sibce Carbonneau left, i feel we did'nt get to see a real leader.

It's not that i don't like Koivu or anything like that. It's just his ability to be a leader in an NHL lockeroom, that i'm not sure.
The on-ice talent that the Habs have suited up since Koivu became captain is the weakest the club has seen for a very long time. You can't expect him to make up for the Patrick Poulin's and Juha Lind's of the world. Not to mention the revolving door of coaches. I think you're looking for Koivu to do what captains can't do. They can't put talent and chemistry on the ice. All they can do is provide leadership to the players around them and work with the system their coach has installed.

Old
02-16-2004, 10:54 AM
CHareth

Quote:
If you're saying that his cancer had a big effect on the team, yes it did. And yes, that does say a lot about his leadership. All the player interviews at that time were dripping with support of Koivu, and I can't remember the number of those interviews in which I heard guys saying "He's our captain and our leader." Even former teammates like Recchi were going out of their way to show their support. Throughout that whole season, there were so many reminders of Saku, and when he finally did return, the ovation he received was very telling. That support goes beyond simple politeness. I don't know what goes on in the dressing room, but I'll take the word of a guy like Recchi over the gossip reported by so-called journalists and speculation of "fans".

As for Koivu getting his captaincy, where are you getting this "default" idea? He was voted captain by his fellow players, which again should tell you something about his leadership. And you also suggest in this thread that because of Koivu, there was no chemistry on the ice among the players. Good lord! Are you going to hold Koivu responsible for the idiot player moves of his amateur GM and coach? Was Koivu also responsible for the Habs in those days suffering from consecutive years of having the most injuries in the league?

Old
02-16-2004, 10:57 AM
J-D

amen, anon, amen.

Closed Thread