HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Coaching help

Old
06-23-2008, 08:03 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

vCash: 500
Coaching help

OK, today was a long day.

Today, from 7 am to 5pm, I coached a Squirt/Peewee hockey camp... a couple of the kids had absolutely NO respect for me and the other coaches and we tried the regular punishments like pushups, laps, off the ice etc. and the kids just would not do what we said... it got to a point that we actually had to ask the parents to discipline there kids because we couldn't. Many many times I felt the need to show them how to hipcheck using them as targets.

So whats the best way to get absurdly disobedient kids to pay attention and respect their coaches? The rest of the kids really want to learn and are doing a great job improving... should we just ignore the bad ones cause they don't seem to be disrupting the practice too much.... I'm open to anything at this point!

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 09:29 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLions44 View Post

Today, from 7 am to 5pm, I coached a Squirt/Peewee hockey camp... a couple of the kids had absolutely NO respect for me and the other coaches and we tried the regular punishments like pushups, laps, off the ice etc. and the kids just would not do what we said... it got to a point that we actually had to ask the parents to discipline there kids because we couldn't. Many many times I felt the need to show them how to hipcheck using them as targets.

So whats the best way to get absurdly disobedient kids to pay attention and respect their coaches? The rest of the kids really want to learn and are doing a great job improving... should we just ignore the bad ones cause they don't seem to be disrupting the practice too much.... I'm open to anything at this point!

From going to many camps over my life i have always been a fan of just not helping them. its not your fault there parents havent taught them to treat and respect people. if they wanna spend there money and not have there child learn anything thats fine. but dont let a few bad kids spoil it for the others who want to learn.i had an instructor who just sent kids back off to the dressing room. told him sit there and he will be in there to "talk" he would go in there an hour or so later and tell him to get undressed and hes done either for the day or can come back after the break.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2008, 09:35 PM

ive learned that telling a child to sit on the sidelines because they have misbehaved works wonders (this usually works better with younger players which is what you have) . if they see all the other kids having a good time and they are stuck on the side they tend to smarten up, the key is to make them sit out for a while, not just letting them back in the first time they apologize because then you filter out the liars, lol. the other issue is that the child does not want to play hockey to begin with then it would become a parental issue for making their child come against their will and sucks for you as a coach. in that case you need to talk to the parents about the child in question.

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 05:00 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Thanks guys, today went alot better because we brought one of the trouble makers all the way to the president of the foundation that runs the camps and had a chat with his parents. It also helped that Braydon Coburn (#5 on the Flyers) came out to guest coach today haha!

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLions44 View Post

Well, I would like to tell you a short story.

I kind of had the same problem when I was running a program down in Mexico City. I was the foreigner (at the time, undocumented) in their country and some of the kids didn't listen as well.

So, one day, I had all of the kids in a circle and unbeknownst to the player standing behind me making faces as I talked, I could see him in the reflection of the glass.

So, what I did next, seemed to work pretty good. I had all of the players do 50 push ups and had the joker do the counting off. Once that was done, it was at the end of the practice and I sent them all to the dressing room. Well, the team took care of the problem for me with peer pressure.

Before he left the rink, he apologized for his behavior.

In the past, when I get a kid that is unruly, the best way to pushish him or what I like to call...calibrate him. Is to have him sit the bench.

I have learned from experience that if you have kids do push ups like I did in Mexico (even though it worked, with peer pressure) you are really making the kid a better hockey player for doing push ups (and they know this) they just laugh in your face. Well, in this case, behind.

The thing that hurts kids the most is not to participate. You want to calibrate? Take his ice time away! That will calibrate him like a fine working machine!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Nosebleed Section

I had a coach when I was younger who was some high ranking police man. He would always drill it into us that hockey is a privilege and if you were out there to make a joke out of yourselve then he would just kick you off the ice.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:43 PM
deanosaur

This reminds me of the former Drill Sargent coach I had... Oh you listened to him all right.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote