HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Smyth to the Habs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-16-2004, 06:08 PM
  #1
Garnet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 787
vCash: 500
Smyth to the Habs (idea)

I would like a discussion with Oiler fans about trading Smyth to the Habs. I here because a want a true prospective on value and an Oilers opinion. Most Habs posters want something for nothing and Im not that way I feel.

I watch the Oilers and reason they need a good PP QB you have Bergeron but he still has problems in his own end. Scoring in another area I think the Oilers could need some help. I pure goal scorer playing with Hemsky would probably be effective. The Oilers have good young players down the center with York Stoll, Pouliot, and Niinimaki. Seem weak on the right wing with depth but the guy you have playing are fairly young.

I was thinking of

Markov, Balej, 1st, for Smyth, Chimera, 2nd

Edmonton gets a PP QB whs cheap and young, Balej is a very gifted and is a exciting talent and the first would be your three in the draft and probably in the 15-20 range.

Montreal gets a grit leader who would help in the PK and PP and be a help in the dressing room. Chimera a depth player who has size and play the PK.

I feel Balej and 1st = Smyth
and Markov is Chimera and a 2nd

I sure Edmonton won't think of a deal like this till they fall out of the playoffs, and actually Montreal could be out by then as well. this is just an opening offer and would like counter offer please. Please don't bash me I just trying to get a feel of the worth of Smyth.

Garnet is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 06:11 PM
  #2
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,182
vCash: 500
can you put the owrd "idea" or "proposal" in your title. I have to go clean my underwear now.

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 06:12 PM
  #3
t0mf00lery
Registered User
 
t0mf00lery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
can you put the owrd "idea" or "proposal" in your title. I have to go clean my underwear now.
I know what you mean. I had the same reaction.

t0mf00lery is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 06:12 PM
  #4
Game 8
Registered User
 
Game 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,273
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet
I would like a discussion with Oiler fans about trading Smyth to the Habs. I here because a want a true prospective on value and an Oilers opinion. Most Habs posters want something for nothing and Im not that way I feel.

I watch the Oilers and reason they need a good PP QB you have Bergeron but he still has problems in his own end. Scoring in another area I think the Oilers could need some help. I pure goal scorer playing with Hemsky would probably be effective. The Oilers have good young players down the center with York Stoll, Pouliot, and Niinimaki. Seem weak on the right wing with depth but the guy you have playing are fairly young.

I was thinking of

Markov, Balej, 1st, for Smyth, Chimera, 2nd

Edmonton gets a PP QB whs cheap and young, Balej is a very gifted and is a exciting talent and the first would be your three in the draft and probably in the 15-20 range.

Montreal gets a grit leader who would help in the PK and PP and be a help in the dressing room. Chimera a depth player who has size and play the PK.

I feel Balej and 1st = Smyth
and Markov is Chimera and a 2nd

I sure Edmonton won't think of a deal like this till they fall out of the playoffs, and actually Montreal could be out by then as well. this is just an opening offer and would like counter offer please. Please don't bash me I just trying to get a feel of the worth of Smyth.
What would a deal with Sourey look like?


Game 8 is online now  
Old
02-16-2004, 06:15 PM
  #5
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8
What would a deal with Sourey look like?

Isn't he out for like 6 weeks?

dawgbone is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 06:18 PM
  #6
Garnet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 787
vCash: 500
Sorry Guys

I thought I edited it before anyone read it!!! Sorry bone head mistake.

Montreal could move Zednik to if the deal is right I feel.

Garnet is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 06:18 PM
  #7
Game 8
Registered User
 
Game 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,273
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Isn't he out for like 6 weeks?

Yes but that is kind of what we are looking for, is it not?

Game 8 is online now  
Old
02-16-2004, 06:31 PM
  #8
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet
I was thinking of

Markov, Balej, 1st, for Smyth, Chimera, 2nd
Not bad. If the Oilers like Markov, then I would have to think they'd take a long look at this one. It's a lot better than some proposals I've seen. Some Canadien fans might not like it though.

Seachd is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 06:35 PM
  #9
HFAdvisor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Yo buddy u a montreal fan.... both edm and mont fan... but i jus don't think balej, markov and a 1st is worth ryan smyth and chimera and a 2nd... This is the reason: Chimera has lost his confidence and theres no doubt this kid can score even in the NHL but he's jus gota find his confidence. He needs about another year to improve on his game... but he's got a good hard shot with decent accuracy and some good speed... jsu not worth it

but smart for u mont fans... chimera plays well with ryder...

HFAdvisor is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 06:40 PM
  #10
Sonik
Registered User
 
Sonik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Proud Habs Land
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Not bad. If the Oilers like Markov, then I would have to think they'd take a long look at this one. It's a lot better than some proposals I've seen. Some Canadien fans might not like it though.
Habs Fan here. I really like the proposal here, but Markov = Chimera + 2nd isn't right IMO. Markov = Moreau and 2nd would be better. He has PP quarterback potential.

Chimera isn't NHL material anymore IMO, just like Kilger.

Sonik is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 06:43 PM
  #11
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik
Habs Fan here. I really like the proposal here, but Markov = Chimera + 2nd isn't right IMO. Markov = Moreau and 2nd would be better. He has PP quarterback potential.

Chimera isn't NHL material anymore IMO, just like Kilger.
I disagree with this, but I would say Chimera is certainly expendable.

I highly doubt Lowe would trade Moreau. Not in this proposal, for sure. It would take a lot to pry him out of Edmonton.

Seachd is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 06:48 PM
  #12
Sonik
Registered User
 
Sonik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Proud Habs Land
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I disagree with this, but I would say Chimera is certainly expendable.

I highly doubt Lowe would trade Moreau. Not in this proposal, for sure. It would take a lot to pry him out of Edmonton.
Fair enough. But instead of Chimera, Lowe should send a better player.

Scott Ferguson?

Sonik is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 06:50 PM
  #13
Hyped
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tombstone
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik
Habs Fan here. I really like the proposal here, but Markov = Chimera + 2nd isn't right IMO. Markov = Moreau and 2nd would be better. He has PP quarterback potential.

Chimera isn't NHL material anymore IMO, just like Kilger.
Markov = Moreau and a 2nd. Jebus! Thankfully you're not Bob Gainey (I hope).

The original deal seems pretty fair, looking at it from a Habs fan perspective. You gotta give to get and right now I think Markov might be what we're giving, unfortunately. He's easily my favorite guy on the Habs, but I can see why his value might not be sky high right now. He's not only got PP quarterback potential, he's also solid in his own end. He's prone to make bone-head passes every now and then, but that is usually only because he's trying to create something out there. Those will decrease as he learns the game more. I hope the Habs don't trade him, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did...

Hyped is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 06:52 PM
  #14
Hyped
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tombstone
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I highly doubt Lowe would trade Moreau. Not in this proposal, for sure. It would take a lot to pry him out of Edmonton.
I sure hope Montreal isn't the team paying then...

Hyped is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 06:54 PM
  #15
Sonik
Registered User
 
Sonik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Proud Habs Land
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped
Markov = Moreau and a 2nd. Jebus! Thankfully you're not Bob Gainey (I hope).
In fact... I am.

No joke, maybe a "2nd and Chimera" would have been easier to swallow than a "Chimera and a 2nd". Don't worry, I'm just capricious.

Sonik is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 06:56 PM
  #16
Hyped
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tombstone
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik
Don't worry, I'm just capricious.
Whew, I was worried...

Hyped is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 07:31 PM
  #17
HOZ
Registered User
 
HOZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Country: Japan
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet
I would like a discussion with Oiler fans about trading Smyth to the Habs. I here because a want a true prospective on value and an Oilers opinion. Most Habs posters want something for nothing and Im not that way I feel.

I watch the Oilers and reason they need a good PP QB you have Bergeron but he still has problems in his own end. Scoring in another area I think the Oilers could need some help. I pure goal scorer playing with Hemsky would probably be effective. The Oilers have good young players down the center with York Stoll, Pouliot, and Niinimaki. Seem weak on the right wing with depth but the guy you have playing are fairly young.

I was thinking of

Markov, Balej, 1st, for Smyth, Chimera, 2nd

Edmonton gets a PP QB whs cheap and young, Balej is a very gifted and is a exciting talent and the first would be your three in the draft and probably in the 15-20 range.

Montreal gets a grit leader who would help in the PK and PP and be a help in the dressing room. Chimera a depth player who has size and play the PK.

I feel Balej and 1st = Smyth
and Markov is Chimera and a 2nd

I sure Edmonton won't think of a deal like this till they fall out of the playoffs, and actually Montreal could be out by then as well. this is just an opening offer and would like counter offer please. Please don't bash me I just trying to get a feel of the worth of Smyth.
How about.....

Smyth, Chimera, 1st
for
Markov, Ryder, 1st


Nothing wrong with your deal. But I think you are under selling Markov since he is having a bad season. Souray won't put up thos enumbers next season and Markov will be back to 40-50 points. So yes....I would make that deal because we get your first. Then we trade all three of ours for #1 and draft Ovechkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


HOZ is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 07:37 PM
  #18
Matts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
Well

can't see the Habs dealing Ryder because he's dirt cheap and right now he's very productive.

Lowe should be looking for Garon as a starting point and then one of Kommisarek or Higgins.

If you want Chimera along with Smyth, be my guest.

But I don't think the Habs or their fans want to give up Garon plus one of those guys

Matts is offline  
Old
02-16-2004, 07:50 PM
  #19
HOZ
Registered User
 
HOZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Country: Japan
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
can't see the Habs dealing Ryder because he's dirt cheap and right now he's very productive.

Lowe should be looking for Garon as a starting point and then one of Kommisarek or Higgins.

If you want Chimera along with Smyth, be my guest.

But I don't think the Habs or their fans want to give up Garon plus one of those guys

Can't disagree with anything you said. I doubt the HABs would move Ryder either but that is who I would want. As for Garon, he is good but is he a #1? I don't know. Right now the Oiler could go with Conklin for a couple of years and get a cheap veteran backup for him when Salo is gone. Actually if Salo would agree to a 3 million reduction I would take him. In the meantime the Oilers could draft, trade and groom a true #1.

HOZ is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 05:38 PM
  #20
Garnet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 787
vCash: 500
My propsal

Chimera didn't have to be the guy. I figured on a 3rd or 4th line player with some size. I feel Montreal overpays a little but gets the best current player in the deal. Markov is a asset Montreal can move because of the galt of players on D. You have to give to get. I think the deal is fair and helps both sides.

Garnet is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 06:21 PM
  #21
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet
Chimera didn't have to be the guy. I figured on a 3rd or 4th line player with some size. I feel Montreal overpays a little but gets the best current player in the deal. Markov is a asset Montreal can move because of the galt of players on D. You have to give to get. I think the deal is fair and helps both sides.
While I personally wouldn't make the deal, it is still a lot better than the Bulis + Plekanec deals that have been floating around these boards of late..

Cerebral is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 10:56 PM
  #22
Belarus Rocket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,587
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
To EDM:

Andrei Markov,Richard Zednik,2rd Pick In 2004


TO MTL:

Ryan Smyth,Doug Lynch, 1rd pick In 2005



opinion??

Belarus Rocket is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 10:59 PM
  #23
Matts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
Yeah

ever heard of the Oilers needing a goaltender or centre?

Matts is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 11:01 PM
  #24
Belarus Rocket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,587
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
ok,so let say

Andrei,Markov,Mathieu Garon,2rd pick??

Belarus Rocket is offline  
Old
02-17-2004, 11:10 PM
  #25
Matts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
Let's say

the Oilers are dealing Smith and Smyth for a centre and a goaltender. They move Smith for Weiss so that means Smyth for Garon plus Kommisarek.

Or they keep Smith so they move Smyth plus for Higgins and Garon

Matts is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.