HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What is the strongest single piece stick out there???

Old
06-24-2008, 01:18 AM
db88

vCash: 500
What is the strongest single piece stick out there???

and others that are also strong...

also what are some weak ones to watch out for?

im going to be gettin new sticks soon more than likely.

im talking about one piece composite sticks.

Last edited by db88: 06-24-2008 at 11:40 AM.
db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 01:38 AM
deanosaur

A woodie. Or those old first Easton aluminums.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:40 AM
db88

i guess i didnt word my question that well, i meant strongest single piece composite stick

Old
06-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 800
Things to consider when purchasing your composite stick...

- Flex rating on the shaft
- Your body weight
- Skill level

When I bought mine, I was at the store for a good hour talking with the guy in the hockey department...he helped me pick a stick based on the factors I mentioned above, and I have probably 60 games under the stick, still hasn't broken.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 01:09 PM
no.95

Your bodyweight has nothing to do with you buying a stick, unless you're actually not able to skate and support yourself on it. It's all personal preference really.

I remember the Bauer VI was a tank, it's a couple of years old though. Perhaps the Bauer Endure, but they're a bit old as well? Otherwise, if you are really worried about stick breakage get yourself a two-piece, preferably short hosel. Most one-piece sticks are just fused anyways so it'd be more or less the same thing.

no.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Heat McManus

Low-end composites have the best durability because they are made of a higher concentration of fiberglass as opposed to carbon fiber and graphite.

Getting a stick with a very high flex rating lowers the chances of it being broken while taking a shot or getting slashed, but it might not be right for your capabilities.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 02:18 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by db88 View Post
and others that are also strong...

also what are some weak ones to watch out for?

im going to be gettin new sticks soon more than likely.

im talking about one piece composite sticks.
Warrior Dolomite is one of, if not the most durable high performing sticks.

When spending the money on a one piece composite you should look for a good balance of performance and durability. I think the Dolomite offers the perfect mix.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 02:20 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
i guess i didnt word my question that well, i meant strongest single piece composite stick
THERE we go. Now it's answerable. I heard there was this one Bauer stick that was pretty durable but I can't remember it.

Old
06-24-2008, 05:00 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by no.95 View Post
Your bodyweight has nothing to do with you buying a stick, unless you're actually not able to skate and support yourself on it. It's all personal preference really.
I disagree. Depending on your weight and technique, each person will lean on a stick much differently during a slapshot. You do want to pay attention to flex when buying a stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Low-end composites have the best durability because they are made of a higher concentration of fiberglass as opposed to carbon fiber and graphite.

Getting a stick with a very high flex rating lowers the chances of it being broken while taking a shot or getting slashed, but it might not be right for your capabilities.
The TPS R2XN10 have gone through hell and back. Definitely not low-end.

As for the flex, I'd wonder if a lower-flex might be better to a certain degree. A stick holding up to a slash would seem to have very little to do with whether it has a high flex level. But maybe a whippier stick is more so like cooked spaghetti, and a stiff stick would be like uncooked -- the cooked noodle does a better job of not snapping underpressure obviously.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 05:42 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
I disagree. Depending on your weight and technique, each person will lean on a stick much differently during a slapshot. You do want to pay attention to flex when buying a stick.

The TPS R2XN10 have gone through hell and back. Definitely not low-end.

As for the flex, I'd wonder if a lower-flex might be better to a certain degree. A stick holding up to a slash would seem to have very little to do with whether it has a high flex level. But maybe a whippier stick is more so like cooked spaghetti, and a stiff stick would be like uncooked -- the cooked noodle does a better job of not snapping underpressure obviously.
The XN10s are things of legend though, lol. I think they are making them again, but not sure if they are using the same factory. Hope so.

Great point on the lower-flex withstanding a slash better. They may. Although the whippier one may reach it's breaking point faster.

I know one of the reasons a lot of defenseman use stiffer flexes is because they take a bit more of a beating. Not as good for shooting though which is why you see a good number of them use a lower flex for the PP.

that's a good point.

Old
06-24-2008, 06:27 PM
CaptBrannigan

The One90s are pretty good. The Bauer Endure is made for durability. And going a little cheaper, the One70s and 50s are pretty darn durable as well.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Nosebleed Section

From my own personal experience the Easton Synergy SL and ST have both been really good for me super durable and good performance. The Vapor XXX lite is a stick I would not recomend as far as durability which is a shame cause it's one of the best feelings sticks I've ever owned, I went through two of them in less then a month.

Based on what I've heard and seen the Dolemite has come up when talking about sticks with good durability. From what I've seen from the Easton Stealth they snap easily where they taper down.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:30 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Agreed, the Synergy ST's are built very well. They are heavier than the SL but I've broken a few of the SL's.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:40 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by twi View Post
The One90s are pretty good. The Bauer Endure is made for durability. And going a little cheaper, the One70s and 50s are pretty darn durable as well.
THAT'S WHAT I MEANT, the Bauer Endure.

Old
06-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twi View Post
I've heard good things about both the One70 and One50 from our customers. Same with the TPS R2 and R4. The R1 is durable but really top heavy.

Old
06-25-2008, 11:18 AM
db88

this might be a dumb question, but ive been using my synergys for a while now because i just keep replacing the blade on them, however lately ive noticed them flexing easier.. one stick is an 85 flex and the other is 100... ive had them both for a couple years or so..

my question is... are they getting weaker allowing them to flex more due to so much use over time? or is that even possible.. id think it is but idk.

Old
06-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by no.95 View Post

I remember the Bauer VI was a tank, it's a couple of years old though. Perhaps the Bauer Endure, but they're a bit old as well? Otherwise, if you are really worried about stick breakage get yourself a two-piece, preferably short hosel. Most one-piece sticks are just fused anyways so it'd be more or less the same thing.
Weight, skill level and types of shots do matter.

Are you trying to tell me that someone weighing 175 lbs, with a low skill level taking a slap shot is the same someone weighing 200 lbs that played AAA taking a slap shot?

You think their likely to put the same amount of torque on the stick???

The lighter weight less skilled player would benefit with a stick with more flex, where as the heavier more skilled guy would be more likely to snap the stick.

Old
06-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
this might be a dumb question, but ive been using my synergys for a while now because i just keep replacing the blade on them, however lately ive noticed them flexing easier.. one stick is an 85 flex and the other is 100... ive had them both for a couple years or so..

my question is... are they getting weaker allowing them to flex more due to so much use over time? or is that even possible.. id think it is but idk.
yes, even composites go flat, but they will do so after much longer period of use compared to wood sticks.

Old
06-25-2008, 01:56 PM
no.95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
Yes, flex is pretty darn important, if not the most important thing when you buy your stick. But it's more about your shooting technique and strength than your weight. Heck, I'm a 200lbs guy who prefer 77flex sticks

no.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:16 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
one thing that hasnt been mentioned yet is the position you play, personally when I play centre and take 10-20 faceoffs a game i go through alot more sticks then when i am playing the wing.

my personal new preference for both quality and durability is the TPS Rubber Response, i use a stiff flex for games i play centre and a mid flex (i think it would be around 90ish maybe) for all other situations.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Nosebleed Section

Quote:

Yeah I've had this happen before they just turn into noodles but it's notbad when you can have a stick last that long

Old
06-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
one thing that hasnt been mentioned yet is the position you play, personally when I play centre and take 10-20 faceoffs a game i go through alot more sticks then when i am playing the wing.

my personal new preference for both quality and durability is the TPS Rubber Response, i use a stiff flex for games i play centre and a mid flex (i think it would be around 90ish maybe) for all other situations.
Very true.

As a 200lb man defenseman, I opt for the more stiff flex due to the hacking and grinding along the boards and for the big shot from the point.

Although, I went from a one piece composite to a 2-piece last season and preferred the change.

Old
06-25-2008, 03:10 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The sticks with grip on them have lasted longer for me than when they are not grip. I was a big fan of the SL's and the red 1 would last much longer than the blue 1.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Nosebleed Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The sticks with grip on them have lasted longer for me than when they are not grip. I was a big fan of the SL's and the red 1 would last much longer than the blue 1.
Actually since you mentioned every grip stick I've had has lasted longer then any stick I've had without grip, maybe it's worth the extra $20 to go with grip...

Old
06-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I used two Endures for a year and they practically look new. Even the blades, and lost no stiffness. Of course, they're way stiffer than the flex rating...

Runner up is the Dolomite. I have one and my roommate has one, used for several months, no signs of damage or wear. Tanks, but much better performance than the Endure.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote