HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Response to "Jumpers"

Old
06-24-2008, 11:33 PM
Casework

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
The bottom line is if you think a blog is journalism, then hold them to that standard. For those of us that don't, take it at face value. We've wasted 4 pages of bandwidth on a completely inane argument. We should be thankful that we have the kind of coverage that we do, because I'd bet that the coverage isn't the same in some other markets.

Mods should lock this thread.
No need to lock this - people are disagreeing but having a completely civil debate on the topic. In fact, we should be happy we have so many mature posters on this board.

Blogs may not yet count as journalism to some(or many), but what is journalism to me is The Columbus Dispatch. If it's a fun little side project, that's what it should be. Whether it's HockeyBuzz or HockeyMakeUpRumors.com, I don't care. But using the Dispatch image(and for the Dispatch to promote the blog), I hold Portzline and Co. in the same light as I do in the morning paper(but, I realize the blog is an extension, take off the suit and tie, kick back kind of thing). Me personally, I can read Eklund's postings, if nothing else for pure entertainment and thinking of his crazy proposals. But if there's one thing the Wolfe family cares about with their products, it's integrity. I'm not suggesting the hockey writers lack integrity, not in the least, but to ask everyone to throw the Dispatch name out at the door is what is truly insane. Either it's an extension of their paper or it's something different. Or both can exist in the same site, just with proper distinction.

I feel it's wrong to put the blame at the feet of the readers. If anything, it's the lack of a true direction of the blog. I can excuse that because for most it's still a new arena. But that's exactly what discussions like this are for, so a year from now, conversations like this don't exist.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:52 PM
PensFanInCBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
These guys do basically the same thing that Eklund does? no?

No. Ek is PURE speculation. These guys get it right occasionally.

PensFanInCBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:54 PM
PensFanInCBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
I look at this situation as comparable to giving candy to a kid who is already wired. We fans are starved for hope, any sign that the suck is going away. AP & the boys bring up possibilities and scenarios of what could/might happen. We snatch 'em up, ruminate over them for 900+ posts and then nothing comes of it, so SH is an idiot for not making it happen.

How many trade possibilities don't happen? 100% of the ones that don't finalize. What percentage of the possibles actually occur? I'd guess maybe 1%.

This is supposed to be fun, peeps.

Also, I could see a reporter getting shut out completely if he was seen by XGMDM as overly critical. Can't write much if your sources shut down. Doesn't mean that they shouldn't write it anyway, but you have to make a choice. XGMDM's ego is no secret and it's a ***** to have to criticize a tyrant. They don't get a pass for not standing up and saying that the emperor has no clothes, but I do see the dilemma.

Wow. You hit it right on all counts. Bravo!!!!

I've never seen it boiled down so well. Great post!

PensFanInCBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Byrral

Portzline and Reed are laughing their azzes off right now as they are reading through this thread thinking how incredibly deceptive they were and how important their thoughts seem to be to the CBJ blogging community.

How important are there opinions to me?

Meh.

I view it as nothing more than entertainment value. If I want an equally insightful blog, I'll read Mac's blog or Light the Lamp.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
Portzline and Reed are laughing their azzes off right now as they are reading through this thread thinking how incredibly deceptive they were and how important their thoughts seem to be to the CBJ blogging community.

How important are there opinions to me?

Meh.

I view it as nothing more than entertainment value. If I want an equally insightful blog, I'll read Mac's blog or Light the Lamp.
blogs usually speak truth.

http://blograckers.blogspot.com/

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:06 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
blogs usually speak truth.

http://blograckers.blogspot.com/
It goes by http://blog-rakers.blogspot.com/ now. Now with professional graphics!

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:30 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
It goes by http://blog-rakers.blogspot.com/ now. Now with professional graphics!
it needs it's own thread!

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:52 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
the *professional* graphics must be really, really, really small

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 01:59 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
No one got payed, so I guess you're right...

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Brassard Calder

Quote:
No one got payed, so I guess you're right...

perfect.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 02:54 AM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
No need to lock this - people are disagreeing but having a completely civil debate on the topic. In fact, we should be happy we have so many mature posters on this board.
You have a poopy face.

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 04:19 AM
Mogilny89

Haven't spoke up in a while, but this is out of control.

I find it bizarre how much these boards are dominated by personal opinion, yet when someone who just happens to have a job in journalism voices his opinion, he gets totally wrecked.

Porty has done a good job of covering the Blue Jackets. He's pretty much the only link between anyone in the blue jackets front office and us. He so often provides you all with topics to bicker back and forth about, and then goes out of his way to re-affirm us all that this dismal club is going somewhere (in his opinion). All this blog post is saying is that HE trusts Howson.

If YOU trust Portzline then he's talking to you. If you don't, then go read something else.

In further defense of the Dispatch team, I think their passion for the game has grown over the years, and its evident with their accelerated coverage.

I just really find it, I don't know, immature, to bite the hand that feeds you like this.

Finally, in response to all the disgruntled posters questioning Howson's moves over the draft, I think the main point is that he wasn't willing to give away the farm to get something that wasn't sure-fire. Yeah, Cammerelli could improve the club, but you'd all be complaining about him 2 weeks into the season.

The moves he didn't make will probably be the ones we should be most excited about. You all forget this team was in the race for so long this season. Umberger makes us better. Filatov is a HUGE asset. It's not even July 1st yet. People - have some patients! If Howson had the mindset of you all, We'd be the next Islanders.

Sadly, this post will surely be lost in the shuffle, rendering it useless.

Mogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 07:13 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny89 View Post

I find it bizarre how much these boards are dominated by personal opinion, yet when someone who just happens to have a job in journalism voices his opinion, he gets totally wrecked.

Porty has done a good job of covering the Blue Jackets. He's pretty much the only link between anyone in the blue jackets front office and us. He so often provides you all with topics to bicker back and forth about, and then goes out of his way to re-affirm us all that this dismal club is going somewhere (in his opinion). All this blog post is saying is that HE trusts Howson.

If YOU trust Portzline then he's talking to you. If you don't, then go read something else.

In further defense of the Dispatch team, I think their passion for the game has grown over the years, and its evident with their accelerated coverage.

I just really find it, I don't know, immature, to bite the hand that feeds you like this.

Finally, in response to all the disgruntled posters questioning Howson's moves over the draft, I think the main point is that he wasn't willing to give away the farm to get something that wasn't sure-fire. Yeah, Cammerelli could improve the club, but you'd all be complaining about him 2 weeks into the season.

The moves he didn't make will probably be the ones we should be most excited about. You all forget this team was in the race for so long this season. Umberger makes us better. Filatov is a HUGE asset. It's not even July 1st yet. People - have some patients! If Howson had the mindset of you all, We'd be the next Islanders.

Not if we quote it!

Good take.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 07:23 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:

Mogilny, it goes with the job. How come we can wreck 1460, the national media, and just about anyone else but the minute these guys are brought up in a negative light, posters are getting ripped to shreds right and left.

But that being said, I'm done. You guys see this as a blog. I see this blog as something more. I see it as two guys paid by people that own a stake in a team, who are paid to travel with the team, and are much more in the know, blogging. Their opinions are more important then mine, plain and simple. This isn't me blogging. This is a completely different entity then the typical blog.

And based on the way people are reacting to this thread, people seem to think of this as something more then a blog. No offense to their respective writers, but I don't think any of the other CBJ blogs would start a pissing match of epic proportions.

Resume Trade Zherdev Debate.

Last edited by Samkow: 06-25-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Samkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 07:27 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 07:33 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Mogilny, it goes with the job. How come we can wreck 1460, the national media, and just about anyone else but the minute these guys are brought up in a negative light, people are getting ripped to shreds right and left.

But that being said, I'm done. You guys see this as a blog. I see this blog as something more. I see it as two guys paid by people that own a stake in a team, who are paid to travel with the team, and are much more in the know, blogging. Their opinions are more important then mine, plain and simple. This isn't me blogging. This is a completely different entity then the typical blog.

And based on the way people are reacting to this thread, people seem to think of this as something more then a blog. No offense to their respective writers, but I don't think any of the other CBJ boards would start a pissing match of epic proportions.

Resume Trade Zherdev Debate.

I get what you're saying, but I don't have a problem with the speculation. They're informed people, I actually like hearing their ideas in the blog forum. Maybe the solution is, as suggested earlier, a labeling system of some sort to clarify what is sourced and what is spitballing?

I understand the concerns of journalism v. blogging and ethics and bias and all that, but I just haven't gotten worked up over the blog. Maybe I'm missing something.
I just see it as another information outlet for a hungry readership.
Kinks to work out? Sure, but no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

If the issue is that they've been wrong - well, pro sports are both fluid and not always forthcoming.
The CBJ may not have wanted Jokinen two weeks ago. And then they made an offer for him.

And 1460 will always suck.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
People - have some patients!
? Why? You wanna play doctor?

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I really think this is all much ado about nothing. I like the fact that Portzy, Reed, and Arace, jump on their blog to let us know when they pretty much hear anything at all. Some times what they hear pans out and sometimes not, but they at least give us all a heads up right from the git-go.

I don't mind them giving their opinions, God knows everyone here gives theirs.

And, everyone knows opinions are like a$$holes, everyone's got one, and they all stink.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
And, everyone knows opinions are like a$$holes, everyone's got one, and they all stink.
And some of them are hammered once in a while.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 08:53 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
The bottom line is if you think a blog is journalism, then hold them to that standard. For those of us that don't, take it at face value. We've wasted 4 pages of bandwidth on a completely inane argument. We should be thankful that we have the kind of coverage that we do, because I'd bet that the coverage isn't the same in some other markets.

Mods should lock this thread.
You are right, the coverage isn't the same in other markets...its better. I really don't get what people think is so special about The Dispatch's coverage for a paper in an NHL city. Is it better than the Cincinnati Enquirer? One would hope so. Is it better than the St. Petersburg Times? Probably not. Furthermore, some markets are served by multiple newspapers who have no ownership interest in the team--the LA Times and Orange County Register cover Anaheim, the Post-Gazette and Tribune Review both cover the Pens, etc., which actually cover the hometown team objectively.

Beyond that, The Dispatch seems to be of a mind that quantity coverage trumps quality coverage. The fact is, all you do is dillute your brand when you have your journalists behave like common fanboys. I can't wait for their first blog about what jerseys players are wearing in practice in the 2008-09 season.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Pucknacious

Okay ... so we've established that "Jumpers" refers to a blog from the local rag's writers, who aparently haven't drank the kool-aid.

Can't believe I've made it this far in life w/o even being aware of this blog. Someone have a link?

Pucknacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknacious View Post
Okay ... so we've established that "Jumpers" refers to a blog from the local rag's writers, who aparently haven't drank the kool-aid.

Can't believe I've made it this far in life w/o even being aware of this blog. Someone have a link?
http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Pucknacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
Thanks!

Don't know how I wasn't aware of this blog, before now.

Quote:
Who wouldn’t want a Wade Redden? But for that asking price you might get Mark Streit and Mike Commodore.
Mark Streit, eh? A poster got torched for bringing up that name several weeks ago.

I agree w/Reed. The CBJ's needs are too great to be fixed with one or two players - splashy stuff like signing a Redden or a Hossa. Four or five Umberger-type scenarios might just do the trick, though.

Pucknacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Byrral

I take anything posted in Puck-rakers with a grain of salt. Sure, they may follow the team and have access to Howson and Co., but how many times has something been "scooped" in that blog that has actually come true? How many times has a blog post said "the Jackets are interested in a trade for Marleau" or "the Jackets are not interested in Jokinen", and how many times have they had to recant their comments. Holding that blog to a higher standard may get it shut down. Their blog postings are interesting tidbits but not much different than some of the threads on this fine board.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:03 AM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:
Dispatch Blue Jackets beat reporters Aaron Portzline and Tom Reed, along with former CBJ beat writer and current sports columnist Michael Arace, keep you up to date with news and notes from on the ice and off.

the blog header suggests the stuff in the blog is factual.

a heavy amount of their blog's are their desires or feelings.

most of us are smart enough to know the difference.

since they have no real inside info they are left to speculate. which is fine. but when the average dumb ass reads about how the jackets could get this guy or that guy, then it doesnt happen. hell yeah they get upset at SH. they had expectations set by what they thought where legit proposals. when in reality they are reading the fantasy of a beat writer. reed and porty could save the time and trouble and just register and post here.

they are allowed to play what if.... but doing it on the dispatch's bandwith makes their wants for the team seem more official and like there is some actual fact behind any of it

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote