HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What will Franzen get in 09?

Old
05-02-2008, 04:49 PM
SkullSplitter

vCash: 500
What will Franzen get in 09?

I think someone will be willing to pay him a buttload. Look at Hartnell, Penner, Smyth, and Malone.

What do you think?

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 05:02 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Not sure how Smyth compares to Franzen. He was a UFA once and cashed in?
SMyth had also had a long career before cashing in, Franzen has not.

Penner was a RFA, differant ballgame than UFAs

Hartnell is a decent comparison.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 05:08 PM
SkullSplitter

tip in artist, young, record for most goals for the Red Wings in the playoffs.

Old
05-02-2008, 05:26 PM
algernon

4.6 miljonies per over 4 years. He's a MONSTE, er, MULE!

algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 05:27 PM
SkullSplitter

I'd sign him for that in a second. Unless Ryan Malone takes a cut to stay in Pittsburgh, that's how much Malone would be making.

Old
05-02-2008, 05:34 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
people are loking at what he is doing in the playoffs

two word

Steve Fracking Penny

FRANZEN, got only 38pts this season and 30 last season

is his numbers based upon his talen or his linemates?

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 06:18 PM
SkullSplitter

Have you watched him play? He's not a big dumb animal that sits in front of the net with his stick out, like 90% of the guys that sit in front of the net during the power play. He knows what he's doing and he's very very good at it.

Old
05-02-2008, 06:25 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
people are loking at what he is doing in the playoffs

two word

Steve Fracking Penny

FRANZEN, got only 38pts this season and 30 last season

is his numbers based upon his talen or his linemates?
His linemates? You mean the incredible pair of Valterri Filppula and the shingaurd assassin, Mikael Samuelsson? Yeah. Its definitely because of him.

At any rate, this is a moot point. If the Wings go all the way, hes looking at the Conne Smythe, so thats gonna change his numbers. Im betting Holland will get him into 4-5M for at least 5 years, if he wins the Conne Smythe. Holland is the best GM in the NHL.

As for Franzens ¨only 38 points¨, he also suffered a bad knee injury in the first or 2nd game of the season and didnt get back to health for a few months, at which point the wings had chemistry upfront and Franzen was relegated to the first line. In the pre-season games, Franzen was our best player bar none. He wouldve easily nailed the 30 goal mark had he not gone done. He started to shine because he finally got back to the top lines when we had a rash of injuries. But he also proved he belonged there. Hot streaks might last a few weeks. They dont last nearly 30 games still going strong..

You should watch Franzen a little more Im thinking.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 06:33 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
Have you watched him play? He's not a big dumb animal that sits in front of the net with his stick out, like 90% of the guys that sit in front of the net during the power play. He knows what he's doing and he's very very good at it.
4.6 for a guy who hasnt eclipsed 40 points is insane.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

I say no more than $2 million. Giving him that big of a raise just because he has had 1 good playoff is a terrible decision. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets like $4 million for some drowning club.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Shoalzie

I wouldn't give him over $3 million...Cleary got $2.8 million and he puts up similar numbers. You can't get carried away with one season or in this case, two months. He's been outstanding for the Wings been I want to see another season of 25-30 goals and 50-60 points before he commands anything in the $4+ million range.

The guy I'm worrying about is Hank...is he going to ask for more than Pavel and Nick? Could he ask for $8 million? To me he's a fairly equal player to Datsyuk...his scoring ability balances out Datsyuk's playmaking ability. I hope he doesn't cost the Wings more than $7 million a year.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Hemsky4PM

There is absolutely no point in discussing this until next season. If he is just a 20-30-50 player next season I think 4.5M is his ceiling. I suspect he will be a Red Wing for a very long time no matter the salary. It's a good situation.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:00 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
His linemates? You mean the incredible pair of Valterri Filppula and the shingaurd assassin, Mikael Samuelsson? Yeah. Its definitely because of him.

At any rate, this is a moot point. If the Wings go all the way, hes looking at the Conne Smythe, so thats gonna change his numbers. Im betting Holland will get him into 4-5M for at least 5 years, if he wins the Conne Smythe. Holland is the best GM in the NHL.

As for Franzens ¨only 38 points¨, he also suffered a bad knee injury in the first or 2nd game of the season and didnt get back to health for a few months, at which point the wings had chemistry upfront and Franzen was relegated to the first line. In the pre-season games, Franzen was our best player bar none. He wouldve easily nailed the 30 goal mark had he not gone done. He started to shine because he finally got back to the top lines when we had a rash of injuries. But he also proved he belonged there. Hot streaks might last a few weeks. They dont last nearly 30 games still going strong..

You should watch Franzen a little more Im thinking.
cough cough

look who has been assisting on his goals

he has been getting pp/sh time--enless you consider guys like Lidstrom and Zetterberg lesser players--- he got only 1 goal when with you called his linemates anda 2 goals players with the top guys on the red wings the last game

also---again---look at his point total the last two season--John Druce and Steve Penney jump to mind as guys who hadgood playoffs and not much else

I am thinking YOU need to look at the stats a little more for that last game

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:42 PM
norrisnick

Kenny is going to start heavey negotiations on July 1st. What makes anyone think he is going to be on the open market in '09?

Kenny's going to offer something between $2.5-3.5M/yr for 4-5 years and I'm guessing he's going to take it rather than gamble having an even bigger surge next year. Franzen is a creature of comfort and exceedingly humble/self-effacing granola eater. I don't believe he'll try to cash in elsewhere or use the threat to make his salary go through the roof. Kenny and the Wings treat their guys very very well and he fits into Detroit's system perfectly.

The deal will happen over the summer and it will be good one for both parties.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:54 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
cough cough

he has been getting pp/sh time--enless you consider guys like Lidstrom and Zetterberg lesser players--- he got only 1 goal when with you called his linemates anda 2 goals players with the top guys on the red wings the last game

also---again---look at his point total the last two season--John Druce and Steve Penney jump to mind as guys who hadgood playoffs and not much else

It's a little bit more than one playoff run. 26 goals in 26 games since March began.

Even then, he's scoring from the 2nd line and 2nd PP unit.

1 ES (Hudler Kronwall)
2 ES (Kronwall)
3 PP (Kronwall Hudler)
4 ES (Filppula Samuelsson)
5 PP (Samuelsson Kronwall)
6 PP (Hudler Kronwall)
7 SH (Zetterberg)
8 ES (Lebda Samuelsson)
9 ES (Filppula Stuart)
10 SH (Zetterberg)
11 PP (Lidstrom Hudler)

Apart from 2 shorties from Zetterberg, hardly your typical "stat padding with the big guns" situation and one PPG with an incomplete line change he's scoring with the secondary guys.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 09:22 PM
punk_o_holic

I don't care what he does next year, I've been wanting Franzen in Edmonton forever. I think he is a Mact type player. Can put up goals and good defensively. Havn't followed the Wings so not sure if he is physical or not. I think he'll take a paycut to stay in Detroit.

*also is this like Pisani's situation? Was awesome in hte playoffs and EDM gaved him a raise. Hasn't been the offensive player ever since but been decent for a 3rd liner.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 09:25 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
It's a little bit more than one playoff run. 26 goals in 26 games since March began.

Even then, he's scoring from the 2nd line and 2nd PP unit.

1 ES (Hudler Kronwall)
2 ES (Kronwall)
3 PP (Kronwall Hudler)
4 ES (Filppula Samuelsson)
5 PP (Samuelsson Kronwall)
6 PP (Hudler Kronwall)
7 SH (Zetterberg)
8 ES (Lebda Samuelsson)
9 ES (Filppula Stuart)
10 SH (Zetterberg)
11 PP (Lidstrom Hudler)

Apart from 2 shorties from Zetterberg, hardly your typical "stat padding with the big guns" situation and one PPG with an incomplete line change he's scoring with the secondary guys.
also his 3rd goal last night was a deflection and the 1st SHG was on a rebound. The first round OT goal was breakaway. He's earning these goals by working hard.

punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
cough cough

Yes, his numbers are definitely inflated due to all the short-handed minutes. Thats where all the good players pad their stats.

He is on the 2nd PP unit from what I've seen, with Hudler, Kronwall, Filpulla, Cleary, and sometimes Samuelsson. Don't recall seeing him get much 1st unit time, as their 1st unit is written in stone.

As I've said before in other posts, this guy is like Holik was in his prime. This isn't guy who is just suddenly becoming a quality player. Anytime I've watched him he has been a workhorse who is very strong on the puck and his excellent two way game just wears down the opposition. Is it such a bad thing that the puck is finally going in for him? I like watching hard work finally get rewarded.

Smart, strong player who I'd have no problem giving him 4mil.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 11:39 PM
fogducker

5 mill? by that time the cap would have gone up by god knows how much

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 11:53 AM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Yes, his numbers are definitely inflated due to all the short-handed minutes. Thats where all the good players pad their stats.
He is on the 2nd PP unit from what I've seen, with Hudler, Kronwall, Filpulla, Cleary, and sometimes Samuelsson. Don't recall seeing him get much 1st unit time, as their 1st unit is written in stone.

As I've said before in other posts, this guy is like Holik was in his prime. This isn't guy who is just suddenly becoming a quality player. Anytime I've watched him he has been a workhorse who is very strong on the puck and his excellent two way game just wears down the opposition. Is it such a bad thing that the puck is finally going in for him? I like watching hard work finally get rewarded.

Smart, strong player who I'd have no problem giving him 4mil.
Yep. Gretzky would have never acored 200pts if it weren't for all of those easy PK minutes he had.

I may have missed the internet sarcasm so forgive me if I come off sounding brash, but PK time is hardly a stat padding area for any player, much less a big power forward.

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 12:08 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
5 mill? by that time the cap would have gone up by god knows how much
Anywhere from 2-6 million supposedly next year.

There are not that many guys that are good at deflections in the league, and deflections are how you score a lot of the time nowadays.

Old
05-03-2008, 01:48 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegagnerskid View Post
Yep. Gretzky would have never acored 200pts if it weren't for all of those easy PK minutes he had.
sarcasm detector off?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Robert Pahlsson

I think he will get something similar to Cleary or slightly less to be honest... No need for Johan to be greedy

Robert Pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 04:27 PM
algernon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo027 View Post
I say no more than $2 million. Giving him that big of a raise just because he has had 1 good playoff is a terrible decision. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets like $4 million for some drowning club.

So, are the Leafs gonna have that kind of dough?

algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 12:23 AM
fogducker

6 mill?

will he be trade this offseason

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote