HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks Claim Kyle Wellwood

Old
06-25-2008, 05:01 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 500
To counter the point I've read several time that states this could hold us back from signing big name free Agents because of CAP issues. We can spend up to 10% over the CAP. So if we're close to a deal that will push us over. Gillis will probably just sign the deal and Waive Wellwood.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:01 PM
hlrsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post
It's not like Gillis is unaware of what it is going to take to get Wellwood contributing in a Canuck uniform. He obviously thinks that with the system he has in place (coaches, Walter, new pysc guy) he can turn Wellwood into a solid contributer.
This is what I don't get though.. even if we manage to turn him into a solid contributer, where is he going to fit?

Let's say he plays well enough to be a 2nd line C.. wouldn't we rather have Morrison in that spot? Morrison is proven, can kill penalties, local guy, ties to the team, etc.... why would we work hard to fix up a player that will likely end up being at best a lateral move (offensively anyway) in Wellwood?

Side note - would this be on par with one of the many "reclamation projects" people were criticizing Nonis for? Except this time, Gillis has now provided a quote saying that's exactly what he is.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
No, that's a testament to how much Hockey news I read around the NHL. I've been following the Panthers for many years and trust me, I am being very nice in my description of their franchise compared to what I would really like to say.
Helloworld read this from 2001/2002 to present:

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl...apanthers.html

You'll have to use google for more detailed information.

Old
06-25-2008, 05:07 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Why anyone would take a chance on Leafs players that JFJ acquired is beyond me.
not sure what this has to do with Wellwood given that he was drafted by Pat Quinn several years before JFJ was involved with the Leafs. I'm surprised that someone who is so up to speed on all the hockey news in the NHL would make such an error.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:08 PM
itshomerdoh

Quote:
...I am being very nice in my description of their franchise compared to what I would really like to say.
So why are you mincing words exactly? Do you know Jacque Martin personally or something? And feel free to provide links to back up your comments, I mean because you're always reading so much and all. Some of the rest of us would like to be brought up to speed on the NHL, so we can converse on a equal level, or at least somewhere close.

itshomerdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
not sure what this has to do with Wellwood given that he was drafted by Pat Quinn several years before JFJ was involved with the Leafs. I'm surprised that someone who is so up to speed on all the hockey news in the NHL would make such an error.
I couldn't find any information when exactly he took over the GM helm on teh interweb so I'm blaming JFJ because it's easier.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshomerdoh View Post
So why are you mincing words exactly?
Why? It's called tact.

Quote:
Do you know Jacque Martin personally or something? And feel free to provide links to back up your comments, I mean because you're always reading so much and all. Some of the rest of us would like to be brought up to speed on the NHL, so we can converse on a equal level, or at least somewhere close.
I follow teams by watching their games and mostly reading press from around the league. I've given up for the time being about talking about the NHL on this board and making GDT's because most everyone wants things spoon fed to them which I'm not about to do because I don't have the time.

Old
06-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Stojanov*

I dont understand why people here just bash players. Wellwood makes this hockey team better as of now.

Great move.

Stojanov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stojanov View Post
I dont understand why people here just bash players. Wellwood makes this hockey team better as of now.

Great move.
Ok you can't just throw that statement up there. Explain to us why you think so.

Old
06-25-2008, 05:17 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
That's not the way trades go down. When the Oilers heard about the deal Kevin Lowe said they too think they could have beaten the Phoenix deal easily if given the chance. There's more to player transactions than simply value. Maybe Martin was a huge Ballard fan and thinks Nick Boynton can revive his career with a change of scenery. You just never know.
Not to mention Martin apparently asked for Dion Phaneuf from Calgary.

Even if Wellwood's 'issues' are worse than Jokinen's, the respective roles they would have with the team make it somewhat of a moot point. Obviously whatever Gillis heard about Jokinen from Mellanby or Luongo or whoever he felt they were serious enough to pass on a player who would be a core member of his team if acquired.

The fact that Gillis is willing to take a chance on Wellwood and was looking seriously at Beach suggests to me that Jokinen's problems run much deeper than the tidbits we've gotten. Maybe he's unconventional, and maybe he puts a lot of emphasis, but Gillis isn't dumb. He knows this team needs scoring in a bad way and I can see him passing up an opportunity like Jokinen unless there was a serious reason in doing so.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:24 PM
itshomerdoh

Quote:
Ok you can't just throw that statement up there. Explain to us why you think so.
Because he's better than Byron Ritchie, Brad Isbister, Jason Jaffray, Matt Pettinger, Rick Rypien, Kris Beech, Jeff Cowan, and Mike Brown. He's also younger than most of those guys.

The question should be: Why not take a chance on Wellwood? After the Sedins, Kesler & Burrows on the 3rd line, and maybe Raymond I have no faith in any of the forwards who are under contract for this team. Where's the risk in this move exactly?

itshomerdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:34 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Remember, Mike Brown is AWESOME!

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Because he's better than Byron Ritchie, Brad Isbister, Jason Jaffray, Matt Pettinger, Rick Rypien, Kris Beech, Jeff Cowan, and Mike Brown. He's also younger than most of those guys.
That remains to be seen. This is the Western conference where teams actually play defense as opposed to just skating around in the East.

Quote:
The question should be: Why not take a chance on Wellwood? After the Sedins, Kesler & Burrows on the 3rd line, and maybe Raymond I have no faith in any of the forwards who are under contract for this team. Where's the risk in this move exactly?
Ask me again after 'The Gillis' has a complete roster.

Old
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
Quote:
Dolemite was a relentless Nonis-booster who has crapped all over every little tiny thing that Gillis has done. Pretty much as simple as that. He's Tony Gallagher in reverse.

Rotting Corpse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:35 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
I couldn't find any information when exactly he took over the GM helm on teh interweb so I'm blaming JFJ because it's easier.
Yeah JFJ's wikipedia article that gives the exact date of his hiring is pretty tough to dig up. Not that you should have to as anyone with any common sense should realize that a 25-year old player would have been drafted long before JFJ joined the Leafs in 2003. You just made something up and hoped no one would notice.

Quote:
I follow teams by watching their games and mostly reading press from around the league. I've given up for the time being about talking about the NHL on this board and making GDT's because most everyone wants things spoon fed to them which I'm not about to do because I don't have the time.
Newsflash: you are probably the most consistently stupid poster on this board. The high opinion you seem to hold of yourself is laughable. By all means, please give up talking about hockey on this board and **** off back to the Oilers board or wherever -- we'll all be better off for it.

Old
06-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
No, that's a testament to how much Hockey news I read around the NHL. I've been following the Panthers for many years and trust me, I am being very nice in my description of their franchise compared to what I would really like to say.
It seems like you think you're the only one who EVER ventures off the Canucks board. You don't think the rest of us are as equally aware of other teams boards and media as you happen to be? It's the off-season on the Canucks board, what the heck else are the rest of us gonna do at work but peruse other teams boards, and see if there are any rumours of players coming to Vancouver.

We all know the Florida story about Jokinen stealing Horton away from a charity golf event and going to a strip bar. We're aware of Luongo's difficulties with Keenan and the Florida franchise, and we've seen the picture of flabby Wellwood with the hot lifeguard.

You really shouldn't come in all high and mighty and just assume you're the only other guy reading up on the league or something. It's not very nice.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Newsflash: you are probably the most consistently stupid poster on this board. The high opinion you seem to hold of yourself is laughable. By all means, please give up talking about hockey on this board and **** off back to the Oilers board or wherever -- we'll all be better off for it.
...and this is exactly why I don't spoon feed people on this board. You all can thank the idiots (you all know who you are) for that.

Old
06-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Alan Jackson

I like the move as long as it's not a replacement for actually doing something to improve the team.

I'll give Gillis until October, but so far he hasn't done anything that Dave Nonis couldn't (or probably wouldn't) do.

That said, there is no risk in this move, and it has a chance to actually turn out pretty well - Wellwood has 2nd line potential. Whether he puts it together or not remains to be seen.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
It seems like you think you're the only one who EVER ventures off the Canucks board. You don't think the rest of us are as equally aware of other teams boards and media as you happen to be? It's the off-season on the Canucks board, what the heck else are the rest of us gonna do at work but peruse other teams boards, and see if there are any rumours of players coming to Vancouver.
That's why I qualified my statement with 'most people'. There are some good posters on this board, such as yourself. However, the idiots tend to be more vocal than the good posters. Scroll up a few posts to find one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
You really shouldn't come in all high and mighty and just assume you're the only other guy reading up on the league or something. It's not very nice.
If I come off that way it's not towards everyone. It's just towards the idiots on this board....which you are not.

Old
06-25-2008, 05:39 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
That's why I qualified my statement with 'most people'. There are some good posters on this board, such as yourself. However, the idiots tend to be more vocal than the good posters.
your 20,000+ posts are a testament to that

Old
06-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Bring Back Krajicek*

Please explain hockey to me Dolemite

Bring Back Krajicek* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
your 20,000+ posts are a testament to that
This coming from someone with a cat for an avatar.

Old
06-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh SEAN HILL LMAO View Post
Please explain hockey to me Dolemite
::cough:: Your Username ::cough::

LMAO

Old
06-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
That's why I qualified my statement with 'most people'. There are some good posters on this board, such as yourself. However, the idiots tend to be more vocal than the good posters. Scroll up a few posts to find one of them.

If I come off that way it's not towards everyone. It's just towards the idiots on this board....which you are not.
Fair enough.

I actually find you to be very fair and liberally minded when you are posting on other teams boards. It seems you sometimes get caught up around here. I find the best policy with the really irrational posters (and I'm definitely not referencing anyone in this thread as I think the discussion has been superb nor any posters in particular) is like you said, just don't bother.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Bring Back Krajicek*

uh.... what?

Bring Back Krajicek* is offline   Reply With Quote