HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Claim Kyle Wellwood

Old
06-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
I've been thinking

The Canucks have one offensive centre in Henrik Sedin
They also have their defensive centre in Kesler
There's also the banger 4th line centre which can be a UFA or Rypien.

That really only leaves one spot for Wellwood (and Shannon I suppose) to take and that's the 2nd(or 1a/b) centre spot. If Gillis is going to go out and sign a skilled centre who can also fill that position what is claiming Wellwood going to accomplish?

I'm worried this is their current solution
I for one think Shannon is pretty much done.

Wellwood is most likely more like insurance then a solution. The market isn't exactly saturated with high-quality centres, and our centre depth is currently: Sedin/Kesler/Shannon/Rypien, and like I said I don't think the organization is really pencilling Shannon into their plans. Rypien is good for under 10 minutes a game, and will probably be injured the first week. Wellwood at least gives us another centre with significant offensive upside, plus from what I can tell he was rocking at 50% + face-off percentage for pretty much his entire time in Toronto. For his 05/06 break-out campaign he finished at over 56% in the circle. So somehow he's a good face-off guy apparently.

Fictional Realism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
Amazing vision and passing ability, below average in everything else. Good pick up for Vancouver either way, boom or bust, but costs nothing.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Tact

Gillis is probably using Wellwood as his backup plan. If he can't land Marleau or any other centers, then Wellwood will be our 2nd line center.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - ______
______ - Wellwood - ______
Burrows - Kesler - Raymond
Pettinger - ______ - Pyatt

That's our forward group so far.

Tact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:14 PM
dubey
Outrage Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tact View Post
Gillis is probably using Wellwood as his backup plan. If he can't land Marleau or any other centers, then Wellwood will be our 2nd line center.
Wellwood won't be your 2nd line centre. If he is, I guess we'll have some competition for Tavares.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Flinch*

I think that Wellwood is a failsafe in case Hodgson isn't 'ready' for the NHL and that this waiver claim means Gillis is planning on giving our most recent 1st round draft pick a shot at cracking the lineup this upcoming season.

If he's happy to 'stand pat' with what he has...

One other positive in this is that this hopefully means Gillis was never intending to put Demitra into a C position. Assuming he actually is intent on signing him, that is.

Last edited by Flinch*: 06-25-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Flinch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tact View Post

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - ______
______ - Wellwood - ______
Burrows - Kesler - Raymond
Pettinger - ______ - Pyatt

That's our forward group so far.
Only way Wellwood is our second-line center is if he impresses at camp, pre-season, and first quarter of the season. This is assuming he can recover from his injury in time.

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
sa sa sa seee yaa....

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Payaso619*

This pisses me off because of the fact that Gillis said he wants character players that are intelligent and all, so we pass on Jokinen who has some "character issues" and we get Wellwood instead? I don't get it this guy has absolutely no character, lazy and doesn't take his career seriously. I really hope my view on him changes, but as of now the light is pretty dim.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:24 PM
chris11inter

vCash: 434
What a no risk signing....

I love it !!!

Potential of a 70 point guy or worst case sceniero he gets put back on Waivers.

MG is doing GREAT SO FAR !

chris11inter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:25 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
I think that Wellwood is a failsafe in case Hodgson isn't 'ready' for the NHL and that this waiver claim means Gillis is planning on giving our most recent 1st round draft pick a shot at cracking the lineup this upcoming season.

If he's happy to 'stand pat' with what he has...
Those are some pretty strong conclusions to be drawing from a waiver pickup 3 months before the start of the season. It could just be that Gillis saw a chance to grab a player with offensive talent that he could add to the lineup without giving anything up, so he took it. Given that Wellwood only became available yesterday I doubt that Gillis has any kind of long-term plan based around him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619
This pisses me off because of the fact that Gillis said he wants character players that are intelligent and all, so we pass on Jokinen who has some "character issues" and we get Wellwood instead?
Complaining about Gillis grabbing him and not Jokinen is silly, there's a huge difference between a guy you can pick up for free and someone you have to spend significant assets to acquire.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:26 PM
LongRoad

Wellwood is bait for Sundin.

LongRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
After considering it, I think Wellwood really fits into Gillis' money-ball theory. He has some glaring deficiencies as a player that make him cheap, but those deficiencies can be turned around with the right coaching and motivation. The guy has proven he has PPG upside. We wouldn't be getting him for free without the question marks. Obviously Gillis thinks his new 'player development' vice squad can turn the guy around.

Fictional Realism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:28 PM
KDizzle

you know... I just realized that Eklund totally called this.

I'm really hoping Ryan Walter or whoever in the organization can turn this cocky punk (from all the info I've heard/read on him) around.

Is it true that once when asked why he doesn't work out in the offseason he responded with "Gretzky never worked out in the offseason"?

Or something along those lines?

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Those are some pretty strong conclusions to be drawing from a waiver pickup 3 months before the start of the season. It could just be that Gillis saw a chance to grab a player with offensive talent that he could add to the lineup without giving anything up, so he took it. Given that Wellwood only became available yesterday I doubt that Gillis has any kind of long-term plan based around him.
It could be, yes, but I'm not saying he specifically had Wellwood in mind. Just that he wanted someone with some offensive upside in the event that Hodgson can't hack it yet at the NHL level. He might have had Morrison pencilled in there but felt that Wellwood is an upgrade on BMo so he snagged him.

I'm just trying to find a positive way to rationalize this, is all.

EDIT: And seriously? Offensive upside? He's got a career high 12 goals, 108 points over close to 189 games.

Old
06-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Tact

I really wish we kept Nonis for this off-season.

Tact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Kid_Roll

I think the Nonis solution of putting in a project into our top 6 lines has us all a bit scared....

Seriously, July 1st. Get here.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:31 PM
nuck4life*

how does this sound?

sedin-sedin-ryder
demitra-wellwood-hossa
burr-kesler-hansen/grabner/pettinger/pyatt

btw, this is a NO risk, high reward move

nuck4life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck4life View Post
how does this sound?

sedin-sedin-ryder
demitra-wellwood-hossa

That second line just looks oh so soft (Hell, so does the first line). Pat Quinn would call them marshmallows. Then he'd giggle. And lose in the first round.

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
It could be, yes, but I'm not saying he specifically had Wellwood in mind. Just that he wanted someone with some offensive upside in the event that Hodgson can't hack it yet at the NHL level. He might have had Morrison pencilled in there but felt that Wellwood is an upgrade on BMo so he snagged him.

I'm just trying to find a positive way to rationalize this, is all.

EDIT: And seriously? Offensive upside? He's got a career high 12 goals, 108 points over close to 189 games.
That's 46 points a season over 2.3 seasons. Better than most on the team.

Do you really think Hodgson will make the team? I think he'll spend another year in Brampton. To bank on a rookie to make the team right after the draft is folly. I don't think any team does that unless the player is unique (Crosby and Lecavalier for example).

Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
how does this sound?

sedin-sedin-ryder
demitra-wellwood-hossa
Horrible. I personally don't like having so many wild cards in our top six (Demitra, Ryder, Wellwood)

Old
06-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payaso619 View Post
This pisses me off because of the fact that Gillis said he wants character players that are intelligent and all, so we pass on Jokinen who has some "character issues" and we get Wellwood instead? I don't get it this guy has absolutely no character, lazy and doesn't take his career seriously. I really hope my view on him changes, but as of now the light is pretty dim.
"Character issues," in this case, is an on-the-record euphemism. Is this now how we're going to evaluate every move Gillis makes? Compare the players' EA character rating? Wellwood is a 68! How could Gillis do it?!?

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Payaso619*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Complaining about Gillis grabbing him and not Jokinen is silly, there's a huge difference between a guy you can pick up for free and someone you have to spend significant assets to acquire.
Significant assets for a significant player, plus I don't really consider 2 3rd/4th pairing defenceman and a 2nd that significant. There were rumors where they wanted the Sedins? What a joke, we could of easily got him for much less. It's just annoying to see us keep getting low risks moves with high rewards players, we just need to roll the dice once and get the player that we know will make an impact. Plus I don't really understand Gillis concept the guy goes on saying Jokinen had character issues, but so does Wellwood? Bah, maybe I'm just getting frustrated because it's still 6 days left until July 1st.

Payaso619* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
That's 46 points a season over 2.3 seasons. Better than most on the team.

Do you really think Hodgson will make the team? I think he'll spend another year in Brampton. To bank on a rookie to make the team right after the draft is folly. I don't think any team does that unless the player is unique (Crosby and Lecavalier for example).
It's not entirely unprecedented.

And I really don't know. I want Hodgson to make the team this year and succeed. Realistically, he'll probably need 2 years before he's 'officially' ready.

Old
06-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Blackjackz

While it is a low risk move that 'could' provide a payoff, the problem here with Wellwood is that you are EXTREMELY limited in where you can fit him into a line up. He style and lack of overall grit and size dictate that he is going to have to play on the first two lines, or he will be a healthy scratch. He is further limited by the fact it would be suicide to put him out there with the Sedins, as it would be the softest line in the league, thus far the twins have shown that they benefit from a more physical winger with hands. So the options for playing this guy are limited.

Blackjackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
how does this sound?

sedin-sedin-ryder
demitra-wellwood-hossa

btw, this is a NO risk, high reward move
That is ALL risk. Monetary compensation isn't the only way to make a risk assessment.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote