HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who in your franchise has the 'Wheeler' effect Contract?

Old
06-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

vCash: 500
Who in your franchise has the 'Wheeler' effect Contract?

Hey fans,

I was looking over the Wheeler move and was very happy to see him sign in Boston, when a fear came over me: Do we have a player who is in the same contract that WE drafted that can leave us like Wheeler left Phoenix?

It got me thinking about other players in the league who have been drafted and could possibly leave their drafted teams to sign as a UFA anywhere?!! So here is the thread: does your favorite team have a player or high draft that is in the college system and can do the same to your team?

Is this the beginning of a pattern of players who get drafted then go to college and come out to choose any team they want to go to?

Cheers

<---Bruins fans get used to this pic: Kessel congratulating Wheeler after setting him up!

Last edited by Coach Parker: 06-24-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: typo
Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Disgruntled

It would be a pattern if more than 1 player did it.

Disgruntled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Well Dallas hasn't had as high a draft pick as Wheeler was, since around 1996, so no, I don't think they have a player of that ilk.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Beginning of a pattern, because he appears to be the first.

Old
06-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Frankly I don't see it happening any more often than it has been...its been a while since this has happened (Van Ryn).

And no, the Penguins have no one that could be affected by this. Hell we have about 7 prospects under 20....

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 07:40 PM
NYR469

any player that goes to college can do this, whether drafted while in college or before. if they stayed in school for the 4 years and don't get signed they can become ufas...thats why teams try to sign guys like parise, kessel, j johnson, e johnson sooner rather than later to get them out of school early...

there are a ton of prospects each year that graduate college and become ufas, but those guys are normally prospects that no one wants to sign cause they aren't that good and didn't develop.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Already happened to us, but we were at least able to get something for him.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 08:26 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Already happened to us, but we were at least able to get something for him.
I just hope it doesn't happen again. Dalpe seems dead set on going to Ohio State and hopefully JR doesn't push his buttons too much. OSU may be better for his development in the long run too. But that would a heck of a lot more a JR thing then the first one was.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 08:30 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled
It would be a pattern if more than 1 player did it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Actually, AJ Thelen did the same thing last season.

The specific loophole that Wheeler & Thelen exploited only covers players who were drafted under the old CBA. Players drafted under the new CBA would go back in the draft instead.

The only exception are college players who stay in school through the graduation of their class and then don't sign by August 15 - they can sign as a UFA (but still subject to ELS limits). But, if not signed by the following June, they would be still eligible for the following draft.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 08:38 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Frankly I don't see it happening any more often than it has been...its been a while since this has happened (Van Ryn).

And no, the Penguins have no one that could be affected by this. Hell we have about 7 prospects under 20....
I think it's happened more often than that... if you're looking at 1st round picks and not just top 5 picks (Van Ryn was a late 1st as well).

Umberger went through a similar situation... could not come to terms with the teams holding his rights - the canucks first, then the rangers, and signed as a UFA with Philly.

Thelen as well as the poster above mentioned...

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Christ

Quote:
Does a pattern not require more then one occurance to constitute itself as a pattern? So far Wheeler looks to be an isolated incident...personally I hope it stays that way.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:27 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Umberger did it when he signed with Philly

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:30 PM
evgeni71

Isn't Patrick White in college? That's the only one I can think of for the Canucks.

evgeni71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:43 PM
SkullSplitter

I was to guess for the Pens I'd say Keven Veillieux could be like that. But more likely nobody.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Does a pattern not require more then one occurance to constitute itself as a pattern? So far Wheeler looks to be an isolated incident...personally I hope it stays that way.
As others have posted, Umberger and Van Ryn have also done this UFA route, and I was curious if there were others in the college system that teams might have a concern with...

Great posts so far! Did not know about those two, and I wonder why more young players didn't do this so they could get a degree and then choose the team they want to go to...guess the lure of the money and the honor in sticking with the team that drafted you wins in the end.

<---Bruins fans get used to this pic: Kessel congratulating Wheeler after they score!

Last edited by Coach Parker: 06-24-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old
06-24-2008, 10:27 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Actually, AJ Thelen did the same thing last season.

The specific loophole that Wheeler & Thelen exploited only covers players who were drafted under the old CBA. Players drafted under the new CBA would go back in the draft instead.

The only exception are college players who stay in school through the graduation of their class and then don't sign by August 15 - they can sign as a UFA (but still subject to ELS limits). But, if not signed by the following June, they would be still eligible for the following draft.
I thought MIN walked away from Thelen making him an UFA, but I could be wrong

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 10:32 PM
white_tiger

Quote:
Hey fans,

I was looking over the Wheeler move and was very happy to see him sign in Boston, when a fear came over me: Do we have a player who is in the same contract that WE drafted that can leave us like Wheeler left Phoenix?

It got me thinking about other players in the league who have been drafted and could possibly leave their drafted teams to sign as a UFA anywhere?!! So here is the thread: does your favorite team have a player or high draft that is in the college system and can do the same to your team?

Is this the beginning of a pattern of players who get drafted then go to college and come out to choose any team they want to go to?

Cheers

<---Bruins fans get used to this pic: Kessel congratulating Wheeler after setting him up!

Huh? WHeeler was never under contract in Phoenix.. He basicly realized if he came to Phoenix he would be spending the next 1 or 2 season in the AHL.... So he took far less money and went to Boston where he has a very good chance of starting this season..

white_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2008, 11:52 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
I thought MIN walked away from Thelen making him an UFA, but I could be wrong
You would be correct. Thelen wasn't offered a contract. That's different from Wheeler.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:01 AM
steamtrain
shred photog

Don't most teams conduct interviews of players that they're considering drafting in at least the first round? I was under the impression that "if we draft you, will there be any problems?" was one of the main questions that teams asked potential picks...

steamtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
I was to guess for the Pens I'd say Keven Veillieux could be like that. But more likely nobody.
We already signed Veilleux actually.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:31 AM
white_tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by option View Post
Don't most teams conduct interviews of players that they're considering drafting in at least the first round? I was under the impression that "if we draft you, will there be any problems?" was one of the main questions that teams asked potential picks...
Remember Wheeler was drafted out of High School and then played 3 years in NCAA. I think something must have happened in UM this season.. The team played flat compared to expectations. Oposa bailed at Xmas... When was the last time a Top player in the NCAA bailed mid-season?

white_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:39 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
If you're the only one, you're technically also the last

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:53 AM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Mike Van Ryn pretty much did the same thing.

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:56 AM
TrevorLinden16

I like how people are still making fun of the "pattern" thing even after numerous additional examples have been cited.

TrevorLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 12:59 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
You would be correct. Thelen wasn't offered a contract. That's different from Wheeler.
There's really no difference - it doesn't matter who decided not to offer/sign. When no SPC was signed by the appropriate deadline, Thelen/Wheeler became UFAs - they argued a loophole in Exhibit 16 of the CBA that made them UFAs, rather than re-entering the draft. That particular loophole (a pre-lockout draftee leaving school early) only affected players drafted under the old CBA - like Thelen and Wheeler.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote