HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Rankings Update...

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Al Alven

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Al Alven
HF Rankings Update...

Hi guys,

OK, the new top 20 prospect rankings for the Flyers are now up on the front page.

Now that I'm essentially running the page, I'd like to use the following definite schedule with regards to updating the rankings for each season:
1. After the draft
2. At the beginning of the season (after training camp, etc.)
3. At the mid-point of the season
4. After the season/prior to the draft
* And, of course, whenever a prospect is traded for/dealt away, there will be an automatic update.

As for upcoming features on the page, I will be posting a more detailed report on all of the players in the system in early March. There are also some player interviews in the works, so hopefully they will pan out.

Also, I will continue to do the weekly prospect stat updates, as I have received some good feedback on them.

Now, having said all of this, I welcome your suggestions more than anything. For years, Bill Meltzer ran this page brilliantly, and I can only hope to do as good a job as he did. I want this to be as informative and interesting a page as there is on Hockey's Future.

So, please do not hesitate to send me your thoughts, suggestions and ideas, either by posting on this message board or via email (you can reach me at alalven@aol.com).

Thanks to all!

Al

Old
02-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Rex88

I have been watching Mormina's ice time and stats and they are pretty impressive. Does he really not even crack the top 20 with all the departed/graduated D guys?
Thanks for the updates and hard work.

Old
02-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Al Alven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
I have been watching Mormina's ice time and stats and they are pretty impressive. Does he really not even crack the top 20 with all the departed/graduated D guys?
Thanks for the updates and hard work.
Thanks Rex!

Mormina barely missed the top 20 cut. He definitely has potential, but he is also quite raw and does play in a conference (ECAC) that is not among the NCAA's elite. He's having a fine season, but I just see Ruggeri, Korovkin, Picard and Jones as having a better shot at making it to the NHL than he does.

Old
02-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Grant Dovey

Send a message via ICQ to Grant Dovey Send a message via AIM to Grant Dovey Send a message via MSN to Grant Dovey Send a message via Yahoo to Grant Dovey
I agree with Al on this one, Mormina does log a ton of minutes, probably the most on Colgate. I know for a fact that he is not that strong for his size and his coaches remind him everyday that he has to get stronger in order to make it in the AHL or NHL.

Grant

Old
02-16-2004, 04:00 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
hey Al, I am very interested to know how Alexander Drozdetsky season is going. I've read the new top 20 and the skinny on him but I am wondering if he has turned the corner and ready to come over seas to play next year?

BTW, great stuff Al!

Old
02-16-2004, 05:10 PM
augster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Alven
Hi guys,

OK, the new top 20 prospect rankings for the Flyers are now up on the front page.

Now that I'm essentially running the page, I'd like to use the following definite schedule with regards to updating the rankings for each season:
1. After the draft
2. At the beginning of the season (after training camp, etc.)
3. At the mid-point of the season
4. After the season/prior to the draft
* And, of course, whenever a prospect is traded for/dealt away, there will be an automatic update.

As for upcoming features on the page, I will be posting a more detailed report on all of the players in the system in early March. There are also some player interviews in the works, so hopefully they will pan out.

Also, I will continue to do the weekly prospect stat updates, as I have received some good feedback on them.

Now, having said all of this, I welcome your suggestions more than anything. For years, Bill Meltzer ran this page brilliantly, and I can only hope to do as good a job as he did. I want this to be as informative and interesting a page as there is on Hockey's Future.

So, please do not hesitate to send me your thoughts, suggestions and ideas, either by posting on this message board or via email (you can reach me at alalven@aol.com).

Thanks to all!

Al

What is the feasability of video clips of some of these prospects on the site so we could see what they look like in action?

Old
02-16-2004, 07:08 PM
fararden

Al ~ thanks for the awesome work that you've done for this site...

Old
02-16-2004, 07:14 PM
fararden

What needs should the Flyers address with their next draft?... '03 seemed to address the center issue effectively (Sharp's emergence makes the center depth look even stronger)... I'm thinking that wing should be the next point of focus... Gagne, Radivojevic, and Fridge are the youth here now on wing... Ruzicka appears to be on an NHL track... Who knows if/when Drozdetsky will ever come over?...

I would like to see Philly pursue potential snipers and power forwards for the wing in the next draft... thoughts?...

Old
02-16-2004, 07:38 PM
Al Alven

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
hey Al, I am very interested to know how Alexander Drozdetsky season is going. I've read the new top 20 and the skinny on him but I am wondering if he has turned the corner and ready to come over seas to play next year?

BTW, great stuff Al!
First off, thank you all for the very kind words!

FG69, Drozdetsky is having an excellent season in the RSL. He started out as the third line center for Ak Bars and was widely considered to be the best checking line pivot in the league by Christmas.

Now, that might not sound like much, but it is a tremendous compliment in the Russian Super League, because the circuit is so defensively-oriented. Droz proved that he has become a more complete, all-around player by going head to head with other teams' top guns and fairing very well.

At the same time, his offensive production has been very steady. At present, he has 26 points (16 g, 10 a) in 49 games, which are strong totals. He also has 44 PIMs, which is indicitive of how "involved" he's been this year.

To say that Droz has become a physical force would be overstating it. But, he is now more willing to battle in the trenches and engage in physical play. The Flyers still want to see him pack on some muscle, but he is a good 5-10 lbs. heavier than he was last year.

As fr Droz being ready to make the jump to North America... well, it's still hard to say. Some scouts feel that he's as ready as he'll ever be, while some think that he'd still be way out of his league to play over here. It's one of those things where we'll have to wait and see.

My guess is that he won't come over next season. If he had a shot at making the Flyers, he might. But, with a lockout looming, he'd be stuck on the Phantoms for sure, and I think his "people" feel that he is above playing in the minor leagues (they might be right, but who knows?).

Eventually, I think the promise of money will lure Alex to North America. But, "eventually" could mean 2, 3, maybe 4 years from now.

I'd love to see him over here, just to see what he can do. He remains in the top 10 on our HF rankings because he is unbelievably talented and has the ability to be a major player in any league. But, as we know, there are always certain intangibles at work with prospects... especially Europeans, because the game is played differently over here and they have to adjust.

Old
02-16-2004, 07:41 PM
Al Alven

Quote:
Originally Posted by augster

What is the feasability of video clips of some of these prospects on the site so we could see what they look like in action?
Hey, augster!

A few people have asked me about this, and I'm going to look into it.

This would be an excellent feature, for sure.

Old
02-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Al Alven

Quote:
Originally Posted by fararden
What needs should the Flyers address with their next draft?... '03 seemed to address the center issue effectively (Sharp's emergence makes the center depth look even stronger)... I'm thinking that wing should be the next point of focus... Gagne, Radivojevic, and Fridge are the youth here now on wing... Ruzicka appears to be on an NHL track... Who knows if/when Drozdetsky will ever come over?...

I would like to see Philly pursue potential snipers and power forwards for the wing in the next draft... thoughts?...
The Flyers are missing some top picks in the upcoming draft due to trades, so whoever they wind up picking, he (or they) will not be of the "highly touted" variety.

Nonetheless, the team has done well in finding legitimate future NHLers in later rounds over the past few years. They usually do this simply by using the "take the best player available" strategy. I don't think they focus much on drafting by position. They just figure that if they take the guys they like, they'll add enough talent to the system and be OK.

Having said that, yes, the team really does need to look into adding some offensive wing depth. Surefire snipers and power forwards just won't be on the board when they pick, so the scouting department is going to have to come up big to find some diamonds in the rough.

One thing I really liked seeing the Flyers do in the 2003 draft was take goaltenders with late round picks. Usually, goalies ae so difficult to project. A number of future NHL starters were drafted in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds, so it is worth taking a chance on them with these picks, rather than "wasting" them on project forwards or obscure shots in the dark.

Thus far, David Tremblay (5th round) and Rej Beauchemin (6th) are having terrific seasons as first-year starters for their respective teams. They both look like players with good upside, and this helps because netminders can be wonderful assets for an organization to have.

Ville Hostikka (6th round) is only 18, and is just getting started in the Finnish juniors. From what I've heard, he is a player to watch down the line.

Old
02-16-2004, 07:58 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
question for anyone, I've read a lot of good stuff about Korovkin, has anyone here seen him play?

Old
02-16-2004, 08:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I think the Flyers will go with a winger in round 2, not necessarily a big guy , but a scorer, and in round 3 a defenseman.

Old
02-16-2004, 08:33 PM
Grant Dovey

Send a message via ICQ to Grant Dovey Send a message via AIM to Grant Dovey Send a message via MSN to Grant Dovey Send a message via Yahoo to Grant Dovey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
question for anyone, I've read a lot of good stuff about Korovkin, has anyone here seen him play?
Nikita Korovkin came to North America a couple of years ago and played for the Kamloops Blazers up until this year. Kamloops had to release him because of WHL rules that state you can only have 2 Europeans and I am drawing a blank for the number of 20+ year olds they are aloud to have. But he was the 3rd European and was over 20 so he was released after playing 2 games and then has had an outstanding season with Tri-City Americans. So far this year he has 14 goals and 23 assists for 55 games. That is 4th on Americans scoring leaders.

A strong skater, both forward and backward, with a smooth effortless stride ... very agile with good lateral movement ... plays with a good overall skill level ... effectively holds his ground in front of the net ... anticipates the play well, closing down the offensive passing lanes ... a good decision maker with strong passing skills ... a cautious and patient defenseman ... has a good, accurate shot from the point ... competes hard every game ... is used in all game situations ... very effective in one-on-one situations ... not overly physical, but effectively finishes his checks.

I got this from Nikita's coach a couple of weeks ago:
"Nikita has had a pretty good year. He is the leading scoring defenseman, handles the puck well, shoots the puck nice. He has added to the powerplay and overall stability. He needs to work on his tempo of game, quickness, his strength in order to make the big step a lot quicker."
Don Nachbaur, Head Coach of the Tri-City Americans

Old
02-16-2004, 08:35 PM
Al Alven

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I think the Flyers will go with a winger in round 2, not necessarily a big guy , but a scorer, and in round 3 a defenseman.
Good possibilities, but it's a very hard thing to predict.

Old
02-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Al Alven

Korovkin is an elite defenseman in the WHL. Has been for the past two years, really.

He has skill and potential (the guy really knows what he's doing on the PP). His instincts might be his top asset.

The problem is, he has a very thin frame and desperately needs muscle and added weight if he wants to move up a level and compete against MEN.

This is the primary reason why the Flyers (and HF) rate him behind Rosario Ruggeri on the team's depth chart. In terms of pure talent and skill, Korovkin is probably the top d-man in the system.

Old
02-17-2004, 07:25 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I have a question for any of you that are familiar with other team's prospects. I see the Flyers are ranked 27th overall in theprospect rankings, but it seems hard for me to believe that there are that many other teams with better prospects. Maybe I overrate the Flyers' players, but after what Niitimaki and Sharp have done recently, it seems that they are probably better than what many other teams have in their systems. Plus after the seasons that Carter and Richards and Ruzicka are having, it looks as if the top 5 players for the Flyers have decent futures. Are these players overrated or do other teams have better legitimate prospects?

Closed Thread