HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Investments

Old
06-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Game 8

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortboy View Post
Yeah man. I'm all over the TSX-Venture and have quite a bit on the line. I'm on stockhouse. You too?

Stockhouse and SI, I dont post much but find them a quick source for info on plays once you sort out the wheat from the chaff. Ive been on SI since 96 or something, actually got Grand fathered when they started charging. I find it much more professional than Stockhouse. What areas are you into? I have been doing very well on the momo Sask puppies...

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Game 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspin View Post
I invest myself at $9.99 a trade with TD Waterhouse. You know, investing managers do not know everything or else they would not be dealing with you. They would be rich, sitting in the Carribean sipping a bahama mama.

The 3 pieces of advice I will give you:

- Do not invest in something you do not know anything about. Invest in what you know. I grew up on a farm and knew fertilizer prices climb each year. I did well in Mosaic and Agrium. Steel will always go up.

- I am not sure who said this (perhaps Buffet) but it is better to invest in a good company with fair returns than a fair company with good returns. Stay away from penny stocks and speculating unless you really really have a good feeling about it. It often sits dormant for a number of years before it takes off or ever does and by that time you could have compounded gains of 8-10% a year. Remember that many penny stocks never take off.

- Look at the world around you.....what is going on.....what do you know for sure. For example, you know that power utilities cannot keep up with demand in the US or anywhere in the world. They will take off. Look at FPL, PEG, etc.

Also you know that we cannot rely on Oil forever. Solar and Wind are the future as is pollution control, filtering companies, and water filtering. Get in before it is too late.

There are still some oil companies to invest in that are going to break through with new pockets in the Bakkens in Sask. and northern US, China, Brazil and Gulf of Mexico.
That is some good advise!! I was reading the New York Times earlier this spring and low and behold they had an article about how Germany and Spain, or maybe Itally are going back to building Coal power plants. I looked into it further and China actually became a net importer od Coal at the start of 2007, the Chinese imports will increase by 10% a year, soooooo we have a market. Coking coal rose to $300 a ton this year as well from I think around $100. I bought into the following coal stocks this year I will put a little story behind each. I do want to stress do not invest in these with anything but play money!!!!! this form is not for long term financial planning, it is for fun money only!!! I just happen to play with real money..

WTN- Canadian Junior, with earnings, buyout candidate. Profits increasing due to Coal price rising. Not sure if this chart link will work or not.

http://139.142.147.218/StockChart_Im...=&ref_rate=180

GXS- I was looking for more Junior ground floor Coal plays and stumbled upon this one. It will give you a real woody if you start to crunch some numbers. Here is the story, drilling for Diamonds near Hudson Bay Saskatchewan they struck 25m of (what they think is coking coal hey were not prepaired so they did not get it to the lab in time) Straight Black coal roughly 100m below the surface. They were drilling two holes 1.6 km apart and intersected this seam with both holes.

http://139.142.147.218/StockChart_Im...=&ref_rate=180

I played with the shale gas plays as well but I am out for the time being..

Old
06-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Dangerdanger

vCash: 500
Ahhhh, investing. Such a wonderful dangerous thing.

I'm on stockhouse as well, but its definitely tiring wading through all the unmoderated bull----.

A few that I'm in,

ATI.V - Altai Minerals, one of the four quebec gas plays that have taken off in the last 3-4 months. Lately they've had a dip in sp, but have a lot of big money into them and seem a good bet to take off once they start getting some producing wells in any of the properties.

PAN.V/MOO.V - A couple saskatoon unconventional gas company, lots of land, doesn't seem to have the flow rates of the quebec gas plays but stilll a lot of potential if they can get something going, a lot of gas in the ground.

I've also got my eyes on a few Uranium plays, such as HAT, BAY, and some other sask companies. Uranium is far too low at the moment to support a lot of production at the higher cost mines, and we're looking at increased demand in the next few years to support reactors coming online in India and China, so you'll soon see the spot price and future price rising rapidly similar to last summer. Furthermore a lot fo uranium juniors are trading at 52 week lows despite pounds in the ground.

Anyone with any good coal plays to recommend? GXS is just too hot to touch, but surely there's a few others that could jump based on hype alone...

Dangerdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 05:56 PM
taunting canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_Gretzky View Post

I'm on stockhouse as well, but its definitely tiring wading through all the unmoderated bull----.

A few that I'm in,

ATI.V - Altai Minerals, one of the four quebec gas plays that have taken off in the last 3-4 months. Lately they've had a dip in sp, but have a lot of big money into them and seem a good bet to take off once they start getting some producing wells in any of the properties.

PAN.V/MOO.V - A couple saskatoon unconventional gas company, lots of land, doesn't seem to have the flow rates of the quebec gas plays but stilll a lot of potential if they can get something going, a lot of gas in the ground.

I've also got my eyes on a few Uranium plays, such as HAT, BAY, and some other sask companies. Uranium is far too low at the moment to support a lot of production at the higher cost mines, and we're looking at increased demand in the next few years to support reactors coming online in India and China, so you'll soon see the spot price and future price rising rapidly similar to last summer. Furthermore a lot fo uranium juniors are trading at 52 week lows despite pounds in the ground.

Anyone with any good coal plays to recommend? GXS is just too hot to touch, but surely there's a few others that could jump based on hype alone...
Ah, HAT, singlehandedly making me profitable on the year.

I'd agree that, if you believe the long-term trend is for increased energy demand and decreased fossil fuel supply, now is probably a pretty good time to look into some uranium. The sector is pretty depressed right now, in general. If you look around, you can find some juniors trading very close to their cash in the bank (like HAT was when trading around 50 cents). Do some due diligence, and be prepared to accept some losses, if you want to enter this sector.

General advice:
- don't invest in stocks money you're not willing to lose
- if your investments keep you awake at night worrying, cut back
- if you're just starting out and don't have much to invest, you're probably best off just throwing your money in an index fund. It's hard to diversify 1000$ if you're investing in individual stocks. If you're worried that now may not be the best time for the general markets, set up one of those systems where you contribute X dollars each month automatically.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Perfect_Drug

I had invested around $10,000 in Employee Stock Purchase Plan back when I was at Activision.

ATVI traded on Nasdaq.

It's tripled in Value since, and been a part of three 2:3 splits (essentially a full stock split).

I traced back to 1998, and realised the stock has risen in Value around 30x, and no signs of slowing down.

Recently there was a merger between Activision and Vivendi Games, and the merger will become official very soon, and the new company will be known as Activision Blizzard.

Blizzard has a HUGE stranglehold on the asian markets (notably with World of Warcraft), and is going to introduce Guitar Hero to the asian markets.

Sky is seriously the limit for that stock.

A stock tip I received last year was Marvel (according to a source I know from Merrill Lynch). They've launched their own movie studio, and are now liscencing out a whole wack of high quality Videogames (rather than the crappy DC Comic shovelware titles), renewed invigorated franchises in the Hulk, Ironman, Xmen, Hellboy and Spiderman.

If there's one speculative buy I would make, it would be Atari.

They were delisted from NASDAQ last year, and have tanked in a big way to drop their share value below 1cent (they've done a 16:1 consolidation since).

Phil Harrison (the mastermind behind the PS2 success) is now in charge of Atari, and could potentially save them.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Game 8

Quote:

A few that I'm in,

ATI.V - Altai Minerals The Quebec Shale gas plays seem pretty dead right now, someone actually has to have a hit.

PAN.V I was in this as well, actually had a triple for a while but settled on a double. Im out of it now, wait and see what the field results bring. I dont think their field results will be what people expect, but they have lots of Bakken potential and they border the company thats drilling the Oil seeps to the north, cant recall their name right now...

GXS Id have another look, I can tell you many of the area plays I hold a few, these coal deposits are not usually small, but actually extend for miles so I am sure before it is over many of the neighbors will have similar luck. I wouldn't let GSX share price scare you off, I can show you some math if you like.

This is one of GXS neighbors in fact they border GSX on three sides, I do own them as well but I think GXS is the better bet, however look at their presentation when it is up and it will show you the size of the typical coal seam in North America, as you can see these things are not usually small.

http://www.saturnminerals.com/?page=coal.page.html

Old
06-27-2008, 01:02 AM
Dangerdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8 View Post
ATI.V - Altai Minerals The Quebec Shale gas plays seem pretty dead right now, someone actually has to have a hit.

PAN.V I was in this as well, actually had a triple for a while but settled on a double. Im out of it now, wait and see what the field results bring. I dont think their field results will be what people expect, but they have lots of Bakken potential and they border the company thats drilling the Oil seeps to the north, cant recall their name right now...

GXS Id have another look, I can tell you many of the area plays I hold a few, these coal deposits are not usually small, but actually extend for miles so I am sure before it is over many of the neighbors will have similar luck. I wouldn't let GSX share price scare you off, I can show you some math if you like.

This is one of GXS neighbors in fact they border GSX on three sides, I do own them as well but I think GXS is the better bet, however look at their presentation when it is up and it will show you the size of the typical coal seam in North America, as you can see these things are not usually small.

http://www.saturnminerals.com/?page=coal.page.html
Yeah I know what you mean about the quebec shale gas, but with Oil prices rising, and Forest Oil putting so much money into the area youd think there will be another boom at some point. Cant decide if I should get out while Im profitable though.

As for Pan, I dont think the results will be as good as we want, but should there be a joint venture, which is very possible, i see 2 or 3 dollars as a very real possibility.

Ive got a few gold companies that have been killing me, i just have to hope it rebounds but it seems that nothing ever happens there. All in all the TSX exchanges have been pretty awful lately, we need a correction pretty good.

Anyone with any guesses as to the next hot play

Weve seen shale gas, coal is current, so whats next.

Oh by the way, if youre looking for a good site for trading, i recommend CIBC. The investors edge trading plan is 300 or so for 50 trades, working out to 8 bucks a trade if you make them all. After 50 its 6.95 a trade. A much better plan for those who are moderate to heavy traders, as opposed to the 28.95 royal bank plan. Bunch of criminals.

Old
06-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Fortboy

Eng.v - Namibia Oil Play Drlling Right Now For A Multi Million Barrell Deposit
Unx.v - Same As Above
Cvv.v - Largest Athabasca Uranium Land Holder For A Junior Under A Buck

P.s - Unx & Eng Are Bangin Right Now On Rumours Of A Hit. Check Them!!

Fortboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Dangerdanger

A couple that Im checking out today...

RD.v - Manganese but recently staked some coal permits. Trading at 40 cents but might be worth a look. Anyone heard of it

INL.v - Potash company which seems to be a hot thing lately with all that is happening in china. I think somethings brewing here...

Old
06-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Game 8

Quote:
Yeah I know what you mean about the quebec shale gas, but with Oil prices rising, and Forest Oil putting so much money into the area youd think there will be another boom at some point. Cant decide if I should get out while Im profitable though.

As for Pan, I dont think the results will be as good as we want, but should there be a joint venture, which is very possible, i see 2 or 3 dollars as a very real possibility.

Ive got a few gold companies that have been killing me, i just have to hope it rebounds but it seems that nothing ever happens there. All in all the TSX exchanges have been pretty awful lately, we need a correction pretty good.

Anyone with any guesses as to the next hot play

Weve seen shale gas, coal is current, so whats next.

Oh by the way, if youre looking for a good site for trading, i recommend CIBC. The investors edge trading plan is 300 or so for 50 trades, working out to 8 bucks a trade if you make them all. After 50 its 6.95 a trade. A much better plan for those who are moderate to heavy traders, as opposed to the 28.95 royal bank plan. Bunch of criminals.
If we new we wouldnt be working, hahahahahaha. I would play it cool during the summer, its usually a lousy time for the markets. If you see something out there you like look at it again in mid August, thats usually a good buying time. I am staying in the coal plays this summer as GSX will be drilling in mid July. Thanks for the info on CIBC, I will look into that, I use TD right now..

Old
06-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Game 8

Quote:
Eng.v - Namibia Oil Play Drlling Right Now For A Multi Million Barrell Deposit
Unx.v - Same As Above
Cvv.v - Largest Athabasca Uranium Land Holder For A Junior Under A Buck

P.s - Unx & Eng Are Bangin Right Now On Rumours Of A Hit. Check Them!!
I used to own Eng, lost money on it. Those juniors who are elephant hunting are interesting though. Look at OIL.T

Old
06-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Fortboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game 8 View Post
I used to own Eng, lost money on it. Those juniors who are elephant hunting are interesting though. Look at OIL.T
it's been tough holding ENG lateley but today was fantastic. Almost a 100% gain on ENG and UNX both today. Should be an interesting week next week!!

Fortboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I just stared my RSP today... Work gave me 1000 dollars to start... I'm pretending I know what im doing and picking some standardlife equity funs...

Any comments on Mowser Interantional Equity fund, Canadian-Small Cap Equity fund, Templeton Global equity fund, Greystone Canadian Growth fund, and the Balanced Mowser fund?

Also as my crappy bond investment, anyone feel stronglyabout the Canadian Bond index versus the Money Market fund?

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Game 8

Quote:
it's been tough holding ENG lateley but today was fantastic. Almost a 100% gain on ENG and UNX both today. Should be an interesting week next week!!
Wow good for you? If they have what people are saying it maybe a wild ride, I will check them out. I watch the charts as well as the fundamentals. Anyone have any knowledge on ZNN?