HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Canada U20 camp invitees announced

Old
07-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
No no, I'm sure I've read somewhere if you decline your invitation to the Summer Camp then yes you are not eligible for the team. With the exception of unable to attend due to injuries. However if you not invited you can still be eligible for the team.
You are definitely correct. I heard an interview with Corey McNab the other day, who's responsible for player development at Hockey Canada, and he said that not being invited to the camp doesn't necessarily bar you from playing. It is true however that if a player were to outright reject his invite without a reasonable excuse, it reflects poorly on the player. Looking back, that appears to be what happened to Brule.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/2/1/9/8/1/index1.shtml

Although if Brule missed that camp because of the Jackets' development camp, he must have been in a catch-22, and the Jackets should have stepped in, much like the Lightning did this year with Stamkos. Not sure what happened there. He probably felt that he would be playing with the Jackets, and wouldn't have to worry about a World Junior tournament.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 07:03 AM
danishh

vCash: 50
Quote:
No no, I'm sure I've read somewhere if you decline your invitation to the Summer Camp then yes you are not eligible for the team. With the exception of unable to attend due to injuries. However if you not invited you can still be eligible for the team.
that makes sense - an attitude/priorities thing. Even if it's not official, i wouldnt be suprised if it was policy.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 02:46 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
You are definitely correct. I heard an interview with Corey McNab the other day, who's responsible for player development at Hockey Canada, and he said that not being invited to the camp doesn't necessarily bar you from playing. It is true however that if a player were to outright reject his invite without a reasonable excuse, it reflects poorly on the player. Looking back, that appears to be what happened to Brule.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/2/1/9/8/1/index1.shtml

Although if Brule missed that camp because of the Jackets' development camp, he must have been in a catch-22, and the Jackets should have stepped in, much like the Lightning did this year with Stamkos. Not sure what happened there. He probably felt that he would be playing with the Jackets, and wouldn't have to worry about a World Junior tournament.
It's exactly what happened to Brule, he did actually make the Jackets and stuck around till Christmas time recovering from a broken sternum and leg on different occasions if I'm not mistaken then they sent him back to Vancouver after Christmas.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Although if Brule missed that camp because of the Jackets' development camp, he must have been in a catch-22, and the Jackets should have stepped in, much like the Lightning did this year with Stamkos.
Um, what did the Lightning do with Stamkos? I don't personally care if he goes to WJCs or not but I'm not sure what you're referring to, apologies if it's in this thread somewhere.

07-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Pivot,

Care to give any more thoughts on Benn? He's been a huge find for Dallas and may be the best pure scorer in our system. Does he have a chance in hell of making this team? Also anyone here want to guess the odds on him leading the WHL in scoring this season? He was in front when he injured himself last year.

Down in Texas we don't see or hear much about these kids so any insight is appreciated.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 03:09 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
Um, what did the Lightning do with Stamkos? I don't personally care if he goes to WJCs or not but I'm not sure what you're referring to, apologies if it's in this thread somewhere.
Lightning organization straight up told Hockey Canada that Stamkos will not be attending, that pretty much sums it up.

Old
07-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Pivot King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Pivot,

Care to give any more thoughts on Benn? He's been a huge find for Dallas and may be the best pure scorer in our system. Does he have a chance in hell of making this team? Also anyone here want to guess the odds on him leading the WHL in scoring this season? He was in front when he injured himself last year.

Down in Texas we don't see or hear much about these kids so any insight is appreciated.
For the first period I didn't pay much attention to him, with all the other big names and I had not heard much about him. As the game went on I did notice him more though. He was playing with Ennis and O'Dell, and for all the nice plays that Ennis was making with the puck, Benn was always ready for a pass or able to read the play to match Ennis' ability. He didn't show as flashy of a game, but he clearly knows what to do with the puck. He also showed willingness to play in the corners and in front. I think he was the best right winger on his team, over Didomenico, Nash, and Trivino. And he was definitely better than Tessier and Nemisz who played on the white team, so I guess he does have a shot at making the team. Eberle and Tavares were the other winger on team white. I assume Tavares will end up at centre, while Eberle showed good chemistry with Tyrell and Bailey. The main camp is a long ways off, but assuming Benn stays healthy, I would expect to see his name on the tryout list. But again, this was just one game.

Pivot King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 04:20 PM
McIce Whole

Ebrele!!!!!

McIce Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Lightning organization straight up told Hockey Canada that Stamkos will not be attending, that pretty much sums it up.
Not be attending what? Camp?

If it's the tourney itself, got a link?

Sotnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

'atta boy Cormier

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 05:57 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hana14 View Post
I think he'll squeeze in. He just keeps getting better lately, at this rate he'll crack the roster.
Well I was at the first intra squad game and there is no way that Bailey makes that team if he plays like that. He was probably the weakest player on the ice.

Buffalo Sabre fans wholey cow! Ennis UNBELIEVABLE, Myers dominant, Byron skating circles around D men. Byron smoked by Schenn at one point his first 2 steps are incredible.

Ennis though best player on the ice, dazzling skill explosive speed and great vision. This guy is a treat to watch!

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 06:01 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftindust View Post
Well if he's playing with Tavares and Turris, I think it sends one of two messages:

A) Hockey Canada has extreme faith that he could be a top six player on the final team.

B) Hockey Canada has no faith at all that he could be a top six player on the final team.

My thoughts? Odd.
He filled in on where Stamkos was going to play. He looked out of place he will definitely not be on this team. I wish they would put Byron with Turris and Tavares he has the offensive instincts and creatitivy to play with them. They could also use his speed.

Old
07-28-2008, 06:35 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Franchise Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Well I was at the first intra squad game and there is no way that Bailey makes that team if he plays like that. He was probably the weakest player on the ice.

Buffalo Sabre fans wholey cow! Ennis UNBELIEVABLE, Myers dominant, Byron skating circles around D men. Byron smoked by Schenn at one point his first 2 steps are incredible.

Ennis though best player on the ice, dazzling skill explosive speed and great vision. This guy is a treat to watch!
Schenn smoked Byron? Not a suprise!

Is this live on television or something?

Excited about our team.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 08:23 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
Not be attending what? Camp?

If it's the tourney itself, got a link?
Yeah not attending the camp. As for the tourny itself I'd bet my money Stamkos won't be there.

Old
07-28-2008, 08:28 PM
N Bahn Ahden

I went to the game tonight. Here are some thoughts

-Couture wasn't very noticeable for the first two periods, but in the third period he began to step it up especially on the defensive end.

-Byron looks out of place, and I mean that in the most superficial sense. He's tiny. To his credit he doesn't back down. He went into the corner with Schenn and held his own. I'd be shocked if he made the team.

-Tavares was pretty much invisible.

-Turris impressed me in the first period a lot. When I didn't have the rosters in front of me, and therefore didn't know who many were, he was the guy who stood out.

-Schenn didn't do anything noticeable, but while other guys like Doughty and Teubert made a couple glaring mistakes, Schenn was solid throughout.

-Caporusso impressed me a lot, after I came away unimpressed during the Sens rookie camp. He had more of a presence than guys like Hodgson and Bailey, who both were hardly noticeable.

-Eberle was good.

Its hard to get a read on guys when everyone on the ice is of interest. Most of these were first time viewings for me, and they were just one game, so don't read too much into anything.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Thanks for the report mate. Any insight as to how Kadri played? Brilliant last night, would be interesting to see if he carried that over tonight.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 10:36 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Stanley View Post

-Couture wasn't very noticeable for the first two periods, but in the third period he began to step it up especially on the defensive end.

-Byron looks out of place, and I mean that in the most superficial sense. He's tiny. To his credit he doesn't back down. He went into the corner with Schenn and held his own. I'd be shocked if he made the team.

-Tavares was pretty much invisible.

-Turris impressed me in the first period a lot. When I didn't have the rosters in front of me, and therefore didn't know who many were, he was the guy who stood out.

-Schenn didn't do anything noticeable, but while other guys like Doughty and Teubert made a couple glaring mistakes, Schenn was solid throughout.

-Caporusso impressed me a lot, after I came away unimpressed during the Sens rookie camp. He had more of a presence than guys like Hodgson and Bailey, who both were hardly noticeable.

-Eberle was good.

Its hard to get a read on guys when everyone on the ice is of interest. Most of these were first time viewings for me, and they were just one game, so don't read too much into anything.
Listen im a sens fan too but for you to say that Byron looks out of place when he creates all that offense and Caporusso impressed you I really think you have to take your homer glasses off immediately.

Not to mention the caliber of linemates each player is playing with.

Ennis brilliant again this guy is the real deal.

Old
07-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Pivot King

Quote:
Listen im a sens fan too but for you to say that Byron looks out of place when he creates all that offense and Caporusso impressed you I really think you have to take your homer glasses off immediately.

I think he just meant in a physical sense, as in before the puck drops, Byron looks like he is way out of his league. And really it is true, just looking at him you think he is supposed to be at the bantam prospects camp or something. But once the puck drops all the doubt goes away.

Pivot King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 10:55 PM
duckyman

Anyone notice Deschamps and/or O'Dell?

duckyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2008, 11:04 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Stanley View Post
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on Greg Nemisz and Keith Aulie.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 12:19 AM
N Bahn Ahden

Quote:

Did you go to the Monday game?

I like Byron (not necessarily as a prospect, but as a player in junior). I said he looks out of place in a superficial sense. How can you deny that he looks tiny out there? I think thats a simple fact. In the monday game he didn't create offense. Caporusso on the other hand, a prospect I wasn't overly impressed with at the Sens camp, played very well. It has nothing to do with him being a Sens prospect.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Schenn smoked Byron? Not a suprise!

Is this live on television or something?

Excited about our team.
According to others, Byron went past Schenn when Schenn was already ahead of him. "Smoked by" as in "beat".

07-29-2008, 09:35 AM
OMGaudreau

I am still perplexed on why so many teams passed on Myers and Ennis? Good to hear they are both playing well.

OMGaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dion#3 View Post
I am still perplexed on why so many teams passed on Myers and Ennis? Good to hear they are both playing well.
Size (too gawky) and size (too small).

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2008, 09:58 AM
OMGaudreau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Size (too gawky) and size (too small).
It's like the childhood story of the 3 bears. You are probably right though.

OMGaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote