HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The "Gretzky was protected" myth.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-29-2008, 07:02 PM
  #126
Cawz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Oiler fan in Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
I wouldn't assume that because people's opinions don't agree with yours or anyone else's that they are "ill-informed". Some of us watched his whole career and saw someone who didn't put up with head shot after head shot in instances that had nothing to do with evasion.
I dont assume that people are ill-informed becasue their opinions differ from mine. I say that people are ill-informed becasue they seem to be with their posts.

Like the kid that was on here a few weeks ago, trying to detract from Gretzky's accomplishments, even though he wasnt even born when Gretzky was setting all his records. He was basing all his opinions on what other people tell him.

Or the people who say Greztky is a product of protection, or of his teamates, or of anything else people can think of that can bring Gretzkys stats down to a more believable level.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:24 PM
  #127
Dennis Bonvie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 10,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
I dont assume that people are ill-informed becasue their opinions differ from mine. I say that people are ill-informed becasue they seem to be with their posts.

Like the kid that was on here a few weeks ago, trying to detract from Gretzky's accomplishments, even though he wasnt even born when Gretzky was setting all his records. He was basing all his opinions on what other people tell him.

Or the people who say Greztky is a product of protection, or of his teamates, or of anything else people can think of that can bring Gretzkys stats down to a more believable level.
You're kind of missing the whole point of this site, aren't you? People are discussing Eddie Shore, Dit Clapper, Howie Morenz here. 80% of what's talked about in the History of Hockey is from what has been read or "what other people tell us". Even the guys we have seen, no one has seen them all enough to make one person's opinion better than anyone elses.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:28 PM
  #128
saskganesh
Registered User
 
saskganesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the Annex
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,273
vCash: 500
eyewitness accounts are usually considered valuable by journalists, historians and judges. and not all opinions are considered equal: that's just dumb.

anyhow, the consensus from most of the people who saw him play was that he was hard to hit.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:29 AM
  #129
Fourier
Registered User
 
Fourier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Waterloo Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskganesh View Post
eyewitness accounts are usually considered valuable by journalists, historians and judges. and not all opinions are considered equal: that's just dumb.

anyhow, the consensus from most of the people who saw him play was that he was hard to hit.
I would absolutely agree, and I saw virtually every home game Gretzky played with the Oilers live. I have also seen him play hundreds of games on tv.

So much of what made Gretzky great happened away from the play. Even watching him on tv does not tell the whole story.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:55 PM
  #130
lextune
I'm too old for this
 
lextune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 9,824
vCash: 500
For those who may not have read the entire thread (who can blame ya? )....As the original poster....I saw Gretzky live dozens of times and hundreds of times on TV, and it definitely informed my opinion.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:20 PM
  #131
Dennis Bonvie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 10,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskganesh View Post
eyewitness accounts are usually considered valuable by journalists, historians and judges. and not all opinions are considered equal: that's just dumb.

anyhow, the consensus from most of the people who saw him play was that he was hard to hit.
And the name of the thread is The "Gretzky was protected" myth. I saw him play. I know he was hard to hit. There were a few guys that played the game that were hard to hit. But I never saw any star players that were not hit from behind, away from the play, face-washed, cheap shot, whatever, like Gretzky. If Ulf Samuelsson never punched him in the back of the head (and I never saw it happen) then something was fishy. No proof of anything. Just what I saw.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:03 PM
  #132
dcinroc
Registered User
 
dcinroc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
Country: United States
Posts: 515
vCash: 500
I just finished watching the '83 Oilers v. Islanders SCF deciding game.

The Islanders obviously had no second thoughts about whacking Wayne. Morrow hit him hard behind the net and later Langevin decked him behind the net, too. Trottier whacked him after faceoffs and Goring also bumped him a few times.

Not a single penalty was called when someone hit Gretzky.

dcinroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 02:56 PM
  #133
lextune
I'm too old for this
 
lextune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 9,824
vCash: 500
Exactly.

Pick any other game (especially playoffs) and you'll see the same thing, which is why Gretz himself is so pissed about the lie. lol.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:52 PM
  #134
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium
 
Helistin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Close to you
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 2,971
vCash: 500
Here's something that Wayne didnt dodge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEajdo2sVnw&NR=1

Taylor wasnt scared of the retaliation either

Helistin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:03 PM
  #135
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 40,569
vCash: 500
Apparently Gary Suter never got the memo not to hit Gretzky either.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:35 AM
  #136
Scott1980
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcinroc View Post
I just finished watching the '83 Oilers v. Islanders SCF deciding game.

The Islanders obviously had no second thoughts about whacking Wayne. Morrow hit him hard behind the net and later Langevin decked him behind the net, too. Trottier whacked him after faceoffs and Goring also bumped him a few times.

Not a single penalty was called when someone hit Gretzky.
Didn't Trottier hit him when he set up the goal by Kurri so hard that the stick caromed of him and hit the boards?

Didn't Smith slash him in game 2?

Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.