HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The "Gretzky was protected" myth.

Old
06-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
I wouldn't assume that because people's opinions don't agree with yours or anyone else's that they are "ill-informed". Some of us watched his whole career and saw someone who didn't put up with head shot after head shot in instances that had nothing to do with evasion.
I dont assume that people are ill-informed becasue their opinions differ from mine. I say that people are ill-informed becasue they seem to be with their posts.

Like the kid that was on here a few weeks ago, trying to detract from Gretzky's accomplishments, even though he wasnt even born when Gretzky was setting all his records. He was basing all his opinions on what other people tell him.

Or the people who say Greztky is a product of protection, or of his teamates, or of anything else people can think of that can bring Gretzkys stats down to a more believable level.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
I dont assume that people are ill-informed becasue their opinions differ from mine. I say that people are ill-informed becasue they seem to be with their posts.

Like the kid that was on here a few weeks ago, trying to detract from Gretzky's accomplishments, even though he wasnt even born when Gretzky was setting all his records. He was basing all his opinions on what other people tell him.

Or the people who say Greztky is a product of protection, or of his teamates, or of anything else people can think of that can bring Gretzkys stats down to a more believable level.
You're kind of missing the whole point of this site, aren't you? People are discussing Eddie Shore, Dit Clapper, Howie Morenz here. 80% of what's talked about in the History of Hockey is from what has been read or "what other people tell us". Even the guys we have seen, no one has seen them all enough to make one person's opinion better than anyone elses.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2008, 11:28 PM
saskganesh

eyewitness accounts are usually considered valuable by journalists, historians and judges. and not all opinions are considered equal: that's just dumb.

anyhow, the consensus from most of the people who saw him play was that he was hard to hit.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskganesh View Post
eyewitness accounts are usually considered valuable by journalists, historians and judges. and not all opinions are considered equal: that's just dumb.

anyhow, the consensus from most of the people who saw him play was that he was hard to hit.
I would absolutely agree, and I saw virtually every home game Gretzky played with the Oilers live. I have also seen him play hundreds of games on tv.

So much of what made Gretzky great happened away from the play. Even watching him on tv does not tell the whole story.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 12:55 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

For those who may not have read the entire thread (who can blame ya? )....As the original poster....I saw Gretzky live dozens of times and hundreds of times on TV, and it definitely informed my opinion.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskganesh View Post

And the name of the thread is The "Gretzky was protected" myth. I saw him play. I know he was hard to hit. There were a few guys that played the game that were hard to hit. But I never saw any star players that were not hit from behind, away from the play, face-washed, cheap shot, whatever, like Gretzky. If Ulf Samuelsson never punched him in the back of the head (and I never saw it happen) then something was fishy. No proof of anything. Just what I saw.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 01:03 PM
dcinroc

I just finished watching the '83 Oilers v. Islanders SCF deciding game.

The Islanders obviously had no second thoughts about whacking Wayne. Morrow hit him hard behind the net and later Langevin decked him behind the net, too. Trottier whacked him after faceoffs and Goring also bumped him a few times.

Not a single penalty was called when someone hit Gretzky.

dcinroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2008, 02:56 PM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Exactly.

Pick any other game (especially playoffs) and you'll see the same thing, which is why Gretz himself is so pissed about the lie. lol.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

Here's something that Wayne didnt dodge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEajdo2sVnw&NR=1

Taylor wasnt scared of the retaliation either

Helistin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Apparently Gary Suter never got the memo not to hit Gretzky either.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Scott1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcinroc View Post
I just finished watching the '83 Oilers v. Islanders SCF deciding game.

The Islanders obviously had no second thoughts about whacking Wayne. Morrow hit him hard behind the net and later Langevin decked him behind the net, too. Trottier whacked him after faceoffs and Goring also bumped him a few times.

Not a single penalty was called when someone hit Gretzky.
Didn't Trottier hit him when he set up the goal by Kurri so hard that the stick caromed of him and hit the boards?

Didn't Smith slash him in game 2?

Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote