HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Speculation: Martin Straka?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2008, 05:21 PM
  #1
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Speculation: Martin Straka?

Anyone think this might be Gainey's plan B if we can't acquire Mats?

For some reason I do. Time and time again when we fail to sign a big name UFA, we go with a B or C level player and I feel this year we're probably going for Straka. How many of you would be pissed if he's all we can get out of the UFAs?

Potential lineup;

Tanguay - Plekanec - Kovalev
S.Kostitsyn - Koivu - A.Kostitsyn
Higgins - Straka - Latendresse
Lapierre - Chipchura - Kostopolous

The nice thing of course is that if need be Straka can step in and replace Koivu or Plekanec if one of them goes down, or if Plekanec doesn't perform as he did last season. This also gives us 3 good scoring lines.

Does anyone think that this is possible/the likely plan B scenario?

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:22 PM
  #2
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Hadn't crossed my mind, but even so, I don't think signing straka would up our game.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:23 PM
  #3
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,985
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Isn't he small as ass?

I'd rather Grabovski.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:24 PM
  #4
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Hadn't crossed my mind, but even so, I don't think signing straka would up our game.
Better than Grabovski and would be more productive than Chipchura or Lapierre in the same role.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:26 PM
  #5
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Isn't he small as ass?

I'd rather Grabovski.
I love Grabo, but I don't think he'll score 20 goals. Also, if we're going for the Cup this year shouldn't we be stocking up on skilled experienced forwards. Straka is adequate in the playoffs and has played with Kovalev in the past. At 3-4m$ I think he'd make a good signing.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:28 PM
  #6
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 9,285
vCash: 500
I don't think Grabovski has quite worn out his welcome enough to be replaced by Martin Straka. If Straka's the best of what's left on the dinner table, then I would just as well use Grabovski and upgrade at the deadline if it's deemed necessary.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:30 PM
  #7
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
I don't think Grabovski has quite worn out his welcome enough to be replaced by Martin Straka. If Straka's the best of what's left on the dinner table, then I would just as well use Grabovski and upgrade at the deadline if it's deemed necessary.
I'm just saying this is a likely scenario I believe. Gainey has it in his head that we're going for the cup this year. I don't think Tanguay was his last move, and personally I'd rather sign Straka than trade for Marleau or whoever else is availible.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:32 PM
  #8
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,909
vCash: 500
I'd much rather go for Rolston. IN fact, he's my second choice if Sundin deal falls through.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:34 PM
  #9
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
I'd much rather go for Rolston. IN fact, he's my second choice if Sundin deal falls through.
Rolston has said that he wants to stay in America. Also I think our top 6 wingers are set.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:35 PM
  #10
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,358
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I want Marleau, if we don't get Sundin, I think he could do well here.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:36 PM
  #11
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Rolston has said that he wants to stay in America. Also I think our top 6 wingers are set.
I didn't know that.

Also, I think Straka is too soft to go on our third line. Although he's seen better days clearly, he was nothing but a floater on NYR last season. Injury non-withstanding.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:40 PM
  #12
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
I want Marleau, if we don't get Sundin, I think he could do well here.
At what price? You have to assume that they'd be asking for Higgins, Latendresse or someone else on our roster. He might be expendable with the way Pavelski is coming along, but I'm sure they'd be asking more than he's worth.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:50 PM
  #13
CanadienErrant*
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Cook Islands
Posts: 4,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Rolston has said that he wants to stay in America. Also I think our top 6 wingers are set.
"America" ???. Oh, you mean US...

Mexicans, Americans, Canadians, we all live in North AMERICA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
I want Marleau, if we don't get Sundin, I think he could do well here.
Gainey will have to make a trade to acquire him. And the price might be stiff.


Last edited by Beakermania*: 06-25-2008 at 06:07 PM.
CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:52 PM
  #14
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Isn't he small as ass?

..
Small ass is better than big ass sometimes...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 05:58 PM
  #15
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
"America" ???. Oh, you mean US...

Mexicans, Americans, Canadians, we all live in North AMERICA"
Oh my bad, I thought you lived in Quebec, king of all nations.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:06 PM
  #16
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: ____
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Oh my bad, I thought you lived in Quebec, king of all nations.
Hey... i'll have you know that its "King of all French Nations in America".

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:08 PM
  #17
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Wasn't straka used almost exclusively at wing in New York??

Whats his Faceoff percentage like....

Thats one area we need to get better.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:15 PM
  #18
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,993
vCash: 500
No way he get PP time over Saku or Plekanec. Just like in NY behind Gomez and Drury i guess.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:15 PM
  #19
Go Habs Go
Registered User
 
Go Habs Go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,446
vCash: 500
Didn't Straka play with Kovalev in Pittsburgh?

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:19 PM
  #20
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I feel this year we're probably going for Straka.
There's zero chance the Montreal Canadiens are going to sign a 5'9 center.

Zero.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:23 PM
  #21
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
At what price? You have to assume that they'd be asking for Higgins, Latendresse or someone else on our roster. He might be expendable with the way Pavelski is coming along, but I'm sure they'd be asking more than he's worth.
Maybe we could work a deal around a young defenseman.. and add a guy like Chipchura (who I really like, but White is going to do the same job).

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 06:25 PM
  #22
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Pretty sure he's been on the wing for a long time.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 10:57 PM
  #23
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
There's zero chance the Montreal Canadiens are going to sign a 5'9 center.

Zero.
Expect the unexpected. When has a BG move not been out of left field?

Anyway...we're expecting a homerun and I'm just saying that it's far more likely that Bob acquires someone who isn't a superstar but could still add something to the team.

If we can get Marleau for cheap...go for it. But Wilson isn't gonna be looking for anything other than a roster player + prospect or pick.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2008, 11:04 PM
  #24
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL
 
YMCMBeaulieu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Wasn't straka used almost exclusively at wing in New York??

Whats his Faceoff percentage like....

Thats one area we need to get better.
A solid 36.8%

He was mostly used on the wing in NY... the reason why I like Jaret Stoll above many other guys if we don't get Sundin is he is excellent in the faceoff circle winning 55% each of the last couple years, and if we lose Streit he has a rocket that could took the spot of Streits.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2008, 12:17 AM
  #25
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Canuckland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Anyone think this might be Gainey's plan B if we can't acquire Mats?

For some reason I do. Time and time again when we fail to sign a big name UFA, we go with a B or C level player and I feel this year we're probably going for Straka. How many of you would be pissed if he's all we can get out of the UFAs?

Potential lineup;

Tanguay - Plekanec - Kovalev
S.Kostitsyn - Koivu - A.Kostitsyn
Higgins - Straka - Latendresse
Lapierre - Chipchura - Kostopolous

The nice thing of course is that if need be Straka can step in and replace Koivu or Plekanec if one of them goes down, or if Plekanec doesn't perform as he did last season. This also gives us 3 good scoring lines.

Does anyone think that this is possible/the likely plan B scenario?
Add Naslund at 3, Straka at 2.5 and Rosival at 2.5 and it might work.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.