HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Prospect Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Ludicrous Speed

vCash: 500
In case you have nothing better to do on a friday night, Will Weber and Miami are playing right now on ONN. And at 8:30 Cody Goloubef and Wisconsin play North Dakota on NHL network.

Old
11-03-2008, 09:31 PM
DoctorDoak

Hey guys, I just saw the Vancouver Giants host the Brandon Wheat Kings and I thought I'd update you on what I saw of Matt Calvert and Brent Regner.

Calvert: Outplayed the more heralded 09-eligible forwards on Brandon (Brayden Schenn and Scott Glennie) in a game in which the Wheat Kings played really poorly until the end of the 3rd. He's fast and has escapability, but he can't physically carry the play on his own at the WHL level, at least not this night, which makes me wonder how he'll make the transition to pro. He has good offensive instincts, I'm just not sure whether he makes it as anything other than a scoring-line forward, so he needs to get a lot stronger.

Regner: Looked fairly steady playing on the top pairing with Nashville 1st rounder (and WHL player of the month) Jon Blum. An undersized offensive defenceman drafted late from the Dub sounds like someone else playing for you guys - at this stage, he projects as a bottom pairing NHLer at absolute best, I'd say. Still, he walks the line well while QBing the powerplay, so he could put up points.

Oh, and if you're interested in the 09 eligible guys in this game, let's just say that Evander Kane outshone Brayden Schenn by a wide margin this game. He had several monster shifts in the 2nd and 3rd where he just powered around defensemen. Schenn looked rather disinterested until he got it in his head his team was down 4-1 in the 3rd, and by that point it was too late. He was opportunistic, but didn't show as much as when I saw him play last season.

Old
11-04-2008, 05:14 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Thanks for the firsthand account, feel free to drop by anytime with more

Old
11-12-2008, 08:48 AM

Info on some of your prospects

What can you tell me about Derek Dorsett, Clay Wilson and Aaron Rome? Do you think any of those guys have a shot at making the NHL, and what kind of player could they become in the future?

Also how do you see the future for Andrew Murray? 4th line plugger or does he has some untapped offensive potential?

Thanks!

Old
11-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Syracuse Crunch fan

Dors' potential is as an energy line/aggitator role, 15-20 points a year.

Wilson is a career AHLer, he's got some offensive potential, but gets too scared by pressure bringing the puck up the ice and really isn't all that good as a point on the PP (can score but can't keep the puck in the zone, pinches at bad times, etc.)

Rome is a AAAA player. Solid at the AHL level, but just not good enough to stick in the NHL, he'll get callups but if he ever stays up it'll be as a 6/7.

Murray is probably at his potential - 4th liner, good on faceoffs, great on the PK, 10-15 points/year max. Valuable, but not a star.

Old
11-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Don't forget Murray's uncanny ability to come off the wall and from the corners with the puck way more than not.

Old
11-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Macster

Awesome.

Michigan State vs. Miami on the NHL Network right now. The game was last night, but there are a handful of prospects in this game. Weber, Sucharski, and I don't know if Vogelhuber is healthy or dressed but he plays for the Redhawks.

Old
11-17-2008, 04:49 PM
WKFan

Calvert

FYI Calvert will be the guest on Wheat Kings live chat later tonight at www.wheatkings.com

Old
11-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatieWatcher View Post
FYI Calvert will be the guest on Wheat Kings live chat later tonight at www.wheatkings.com
Hey thanks for the heads up.

Old
11-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Anisimovs AK

I get to see Teddy Ruth play live tonight. I'll give a report on how it goes

Old
11-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 900
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2571...s=secStory_nhl

Old
11-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyRules View Post
I get to see Teddy Ruth play live tonight. I'll give a report on how it goes
Must have not been very impressive

Old
11-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye19 View Post
Quote:
Nikita Filatov Left Wing, 18 (1st round 6th overall 2008)
Currently with Syracuse (AHL)
He is the most dynamic forward to come out of Russia since Evgeni Malkin! He has the ability to dominate and take over a game at will. His hockey sense and vision are exceptional and he reads the play like he is in a slow moving chess game. He makes smart, fast decisions with the puck and never seems to panic. To say he can stickhandle his way out a phone booth is an understatement, as he can turn players inside out and weave his magic. What truly sets him apart is his speed and his ability to separate in two strides. He can bob and weave like Barry Sanders on the football field at full speed with the puck, and if you do not keep great gap control he will be all alone on the goaltender. Filatov is a patient shooter and knows when to wait or release the puck instantly depending on the situation. His wrist shot is deadly accurate, while his slap shot has surprising zip that can fool goaltenders. He shows no fear going to the net. To his credit, he plays a responsible defensive game and shows hustle coming back to support his defencemen. He uses his speed and quick stick to close passing lanes and is a puck possession defender. He's a kind of skinny kid at 175 pounds and can get pushed around if you catch him. But once he reaches the 200 range, he could be absolutely lethal. Despite his lack of strength, he competes hard and is considered a perimeter player. He's a clutch performer and is on the ice in all crucial situations. It is clear Filatov does not like to lose. He shows commitment to his team and the fact he speaks English very well certainly helps. He shows passion for the game like Alexander Ovechkin and will go far in NHL if he makes the sacrifices. For an eighteen year old kid to leave home and make the jump to the AHL is impressive, and his play thus far has not disappointed. Do not be shocked to see him on the Columbus roster after Christmas as he continues his rapid development.
You guys should read that and try not going to the bathroom.

Old
11-27-2008, 10:33 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
You guys should read that and try not going to the bathroom.
**** myself after the 3rd sentence...

Old
11-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Hehe, why not call him up and just make him the 1st PP unit by himself. Couldn't hurt

Old
11-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Boston
Captain Chara

Legein will be joining the Crunch in January, or so I have heard.

Old
11-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
I knew he'd be back.

Old
11-28-2008, 01:02 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Legein will be joining the Crunch in January, or so I have heard.
Clearly the tips he made on Deliveries wasn't helping him live the bling life....

Give nothing to this kid, except a second chance... Make him EARN everything in Syracuse.

Old
12-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Macster

Jackets' prospects Matt Calvert and Cody Goloubef were invited to the Team Canada World Junior development camp.

The WJs are my favourite tourny, hands down.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...95/la_id/1.htm

Old
12-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Imjustabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Give nothing to this kid, except a second chance... Make him EARN everything in Syracuse.
If it were up to me, he'd have to earn his way to Syracuse by proving himself in Elmira first. The guy has a lot of bridge-building to do with this team, and by making him put on the proverbial hard hat and work for his playing time would probably go a long way towards patching things up with the organization and his future teammates.

Old
12-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waco Kid View Post
If it were up to me, he'd have to earn his way to Syracuse by proving himself in Elmira first. The guy has a lot of bridge-building to do with this team, and by making him put on the proverbial hard hat and work for his playing time would probably go a long way towards patching things up with the organization and his future teammates.
I disagree...

You're making him sound like Foote here... (sorry to bring him up again)

How long do you think he's been playing hockey? He probably started because his dad gave him some skates when he was 5. I can't say that I blame him for taking some time off and evaluating what he wants to do with the next 30 years of his life. Sure, he shouldn't just be thrown right back in as if nothing changed -

But I disagree that he owes anything to his teammates.

Old
12-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Imjustabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I disagree...

You're making him sound like Foote here... (sorry to bring him up again)

How long do you think he's been playing hockey? He probably started because his dad gave him some skates when he was 5. I can't say that I blame him for taking some time off and evaluating what he wants to do with the next 30 years of his life. Sure, he shouldn't just be thrown right back in as if nothing changed -

But I disagree that he owes anything to his teammates.
For the record....

To me, the situation Legein created is much different than the Foote debacle. A confused kid who doesn't know what direction he wants to take in life is not the same as a grizzled vet (a captain, no less) bailing out on his teammates who are counting on him at a critical point in the season. Hopefully I've made that point crystal clear.

That said, I think just letting bygones be bygones and oh, by the way, Stefan - here's your Crunch jersey - would be a mistake on the organization's part. Dedication and commitment are things that have to be earned, and Legein's got some doubters he has to win over.

Old
12-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waco Kid View Post
For the record....

To me, the situation Legein created is much different than the Foote debacle. A confused kid who doesn't know what direction he wants to take in life is not the same as a grizzled vet (a captain, no less) bailing out on his teammates who are counting on him at a critical point in the season. Hopefully I've made that point crystal clear.

That said, I think just letting bygones be bygones and oh, by the way, Stefan - here's your Crunch jersey - would be a mistake on the organization's part. Dedication and commitment are things that have to be earned, and Legein's got some doubters he has to win over.
Ok, so the Foote comparison clearly sucked, sorry.

I agree that he has some work to do, and as I poorly stated previously he should not just be handed a spot in Syracuse. I guess my overall point is that I don't think his teammates are going to have a big problem with him coming back, if any at all. I might just feel this way because I'm about the same age, and similarly trying to figure out what the hell I'm gonna do for the next 30 (60?) years.

I don't think he should be demoted or punished in anyway - he just needs to earn his ice time with his performance and hard work like any other player.

Also - what exactly does "bridge building" actually mean? Howson used the term, too.

Old
12-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Imjustabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Ok, so the Foote comparison clearly sucked, sorry.

I agree that he has some work to do, and as I poorly stated previously he should not just be handed a spot in Syracuse. I guess my overall point is that I don't think his teammates are going to have a big problem with him coming back, if any at all. I might just feel this way because I'm about the same age, and similarly trying to figure out what the hell I'm gonna do for the next 30 (60?) years.

I don't think he should be demoted or punished in anyway - he just needs to earn his ice time with his performance and hard work like any other player.

Also - what exactly does "bridge building" actually mean? Howson used the term, too.
You and I are on the same page here; we both feel that Legein should not be handed anything on a silver platter. I think most posters here probably feel the same way.

The "bridge" term that is being thrown about refers to the relationship between Legein and the Jackets organization. When you "burn the bridge", you're doing something to damage a relationship significantly, if not permanently. All of us in life do that, whether it's intentional or not. When Legein decided to go on sabbatical last summer, it significantly damaged the trust he had built with Howson and the organization.

While it is essential for Legein to build that relationship between himself and the club again, a secondary issue is the relationship he will have with his future teammates. If he is assigned right away to Syracuse, then likely that means that someone on the Crunch will have to be sent down or released. I could definitely see that causing some friction in the room up there. Now, if he were to start out in Elmira and then prove that he is worthy of being promoted to the Crunch, then that would likely ease the situation a bit. That's why I was thinking that it might be best for everyone involved if things were to work out that way.

In the end, it's Howson's decision on how to handle this; regardless of what he decides, it will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Old
12-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Macster

Cody Goloubef made the Team Canada WJ team today. Matt Calvert was cut, but he was injured so he didn't have a chance to make an impression.

My pick for cbj first rounder this year Ryan Ellis made the team as well. He's underage and will likely be the swingman.

Closed Thread